Odd Ping Battery Pack behaviour

999zip999 said:
Dmnun has a repair thread on Ping batteries here on E.S. some where ?

I do have help from a friend who knows much more than me. Ping sent me a sort of how to diagram as well.

Attachments

• replacecells4815.jpg
    replacecells4815.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 956
I heat up the solder with a 80watt big tip solder iron like a weller. I heat up the pad and throw the hot melted solder pool at a piece of plywood. Be careful. Where glasses. You can use a solder sucker after you get the mass of solder off. I use a shish kabob wooden stick and heat the solder till fluid and use the wooden stick to separate the three tabs and get in there. Angle the Pax you don't melt solder down into the path or even put the pack sideways heat the tab throw the solder. The solder melt said only 300 the 400 degrees.

I wanted to update this thread on the status of the Battery. I started to notice in the last few days to a week, that despite having over 10-12km on the freshly charged battery, I still have a high voltage reading. Suspecting that perhaps, the BMS "fixed" the weak cell, I checked the weak cell and compared it to the others. It was only off by 0.01 - 0.02 Volts.

The only thing I've done differently, is I leave the pack on the charger for a few hours after it's done the charge cycle, vs removing the charger right away. Perhaps this properly balanced the cell over time ??

I would need to run it close to, or to Low Voltage Cut off to be sure.

Leaving the battery on the charger after the light turns green is how you balance the battery. Sometimes it needs 24hr or more time. Running to lvc unbalances the battery.

999zip999 said:
Leaving the battery on the charger after the light turns green is how you balance the battery. Sometimes it needs 24hr or more time. Running to lvc unbalances the battery.

True, but running it close to LVC or past the voltage I got the LVC before, is a way to see if the pack is back to normal now. Will need more testing.

As noted previously, that's just the way that LiFePo4 charging works. After the initial charge the charger turns off, the the BMS balances and the charger turns back on. This may happen a bunch of times over a couple hours. Because of this its best to just let the battery charge overnight.

My Ping battery is over 9 years old and it's still working fine. It was used heavily for 5 years, sat around for 4 years (I charged it every 6 months or so), and is now being used again.

Warren

The problem with older Ping and people is they like to use a 40amp controller and test going up hills wot till a cell poops. A 48v 20ah is rated 1,200 watts. The newer ones are much better.

www.recumbents.com said:
As noted previously, that's just the way that LiFePo4 charging works. After the initial charge the charger turns off, the the BMS balances and the charger turns back on. This may happen a bunch of times over a couple hours. Because of this its best to just let the battery charge overnight.

My Ping battery is over 9 years old and it's still working fine. It was used heavily for 5 years, sat around for 4 years (I charged it every 6 months or so), and is now being used again.

Warren

I've learned now, that is the best way to charge the battery. I always thought it was bad, and didn't know that it would balance.

It's a good thing I never got around to changing the cells, as now I have spare cells.. My entire E-bike was stolen from the locked laundry/bike room in my apartment. The only thing I have left of the kit, is the charger.... I got another mountain bike, but I can't afford the new kit or battery yet.

That sucks. Well, the thief won't get too far without a charger. If you have renter's insurance, it might be covered.

Back