Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

I’ve been riding my light bee for a little over a month now and it’s exceeded expectations. Just recently I noticed that ep mode does not seem to be properly engaging. Feels just as powerful as sport mode, I can still reach upwards of 40+mph and low end torque feels identical.

When riding at higher speeds (20-30mph) I’ll switch to ep mode from sport, there will be a very slight hesitation then it will continue powering up to 40mph+. In the past I would feel the limiter engaging preventing me from reaching these higher speeds.

Battery level is currently at 75-80%. Flipped breaker, no change. Anybody seen this issue?

Pgobel said:
Flipped breaker, no change. Anybody seen this issue?

Yeah. Mine went the other way - Lack of power in Sport mode despite flicking between the two and resetting. Happened while being chased by cops across a park (another story)
Pull off the key switch plate and fiddle with some of the plugs (they all terminate in there) - have noticed an intermittent loose connection in there. Also affected the LCD display - same problem.
If your under pressure or without tools, a swift kick in the headset area can put things right again.

racingame said:
urbanmoto said:
https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32016R1036&rid=1

Beware The manufacturers plate on the off road light bee is clearly falling under this category, up to 189% anti dumping retrospective penalties possible and all units imported to the EEC now have to be registered with customs on a special register.
I also heard that off road light bee has no Ce mark on the bike so on this point alone it’s illegal to sell in EEC ! Any one know any different?

I don't get it. You are basically saying that any dealer who sold non-homologated Light Bee in EU did an illegal action?

No they didnt I believe this only counts for E-bikes with a COC (road legal).

Let me drop this here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUX_YWsECWs
Some accurate power figures would be nice
Annyone thinks he could pull this off?

Allex said:
I run stock drive train and yeah best is to gear down if you have FW. I dont have the prices yet as these were just samples, and not even sure if the final version will have the same settings. I think they will be worth every penny if you ask me. My guess is around 200-250USD?
Here is a video, you can definitely hear the difference when going slow. During fast runs you will not notice the difference.
[youtube]jkRZ9pHVrRM[/youtube]

Was swapping out the SW for the FOC straight plug-n-ride? You know me, need the easiest option.

Can now confirm that new controller have more power.
Old controller: 65A(sport) 20A(EP) max speed: ~71km/h
New: 75A(sport) 42A(EP) max speed: ~80km/h

It does storm that 30° hill in previous videos a lot easier. This is a perfect upgrade once they will be out for public!

Allex said:
Can now confirm that new controller have more power.
Old controller: 65A(sport) 20A(EP) max speed: 71km/h
New: 75A(sport) 42A(EP) max speed: 76km/h

It does storm that 30° hill in previous videos a lot easier. This is a perfect upgrade once they will be out for public!

This and front forks are my next mod! Keeping Kim's 52T on it though.

Allex said:
I run stock drive train and yeah best is to gear down if you have FW. I dont have the prices yet as these were just samples, and not even sure if the final version will have the same settings. I think they will be worth every penny if you ask me. My guess is around 200-250USD?

Does the new controller enable regenerative breaking that the new Model X has? Seems like it would be a function of the controller...

I want to upgrade to the new controller either way, but was just curious. :wink:

We had a dream evening of racing the hotrod Sur Ron against motorcycles and a bad ass supercar. I wont spoil the unexpected surprises, already worked all day and its nearing 4am but i will try to finish getting a video together and uploaded tonight or tomorrow morning (morning for me starts at noonish).

That awesome above video is an amazing Chinese Sur Ron rider who is a pro racer and way better than I ride.

This is the new epic video from tonight, I worked all day, loved getting to race at night and then it took 4hrs of editing to get the footage together into something good to watch. Enjoy my friends!

[youtube]jjcgbetI5rc[/youtube]

Allex said:
Nice1 Luke! Too bad you have to run during nights at LunaCycle shop.

I don't have to run at night, i just work long hours on the other side of LA for clients during the day.

liveforphysics said:
That awesome above video is an amazing Chinese Sur Ron rider who is a pro racer and way better than I ride.

This is the new epic video from tonight, I worked all day, loved getting to race at night and then it took 4hrs of editing to get the footage together into something good to watch. Enjoy my friends!

[

That must have been the guy that met up with Kim and drove to Boise Idaho for Supermoto racing, I saw 2 Sur-Ron's in the back of a truck heading east on I 80 a while back. Dude can ride. BTW Luke, kick a$$ video. There is just something cool and fringe about racing on the streets at night.

Rix wrote:

By chance Kim, was that you piloting the 30kw Sur-Ron? Also, any plans on importing the FOC controllers for US enthusiasts?

That must have been the guy that met up with Kim and drove to Boise Idaho for Supermoto racing, I saw 2 Sur-Ron's in the back of a truck heading east on I 80 a while back. Dude can ride. BTW Luke, kick a$$ video. There is just something cool and fringe about racing on the streets at night.

That was Sun Tong the Chinese champion that "stole my bikes" and drove them them to Boise last month!!

I have nothing going at the moment with electronics. That is Farfle (Jackson) doing the hot rod controller work I think.

I am doing suspension stuff on my bike with 11" travel front and 10" rear. At some point I will have the hot controller thing going
and have something epic.

Any machine with an electrical system that’s non homologated falls under the U.K. and EEC machinery directive for EMC and electrical safety regulations

So the bike must have the correct CE markings (not EN it’s not a pedal cycle) and technical safety file

Otherwise not only is it illegal to import but also to distribute and use

Trading standards would have a field day, minimum penalty is not just financial but potential loss of liberty for 3 years.

You have been warned

urbanmoto said:
Any machine with an electrical system that’s non homologated falls under the U.K. and EEC machinery directive for EMC and electrical safety regulations

So the bike must have the correct CE markings (not EN it’s not a pedal cycle) and technical safety file

Otherwise not only is it illegal to import but also to distribute and use

Trading standards would have a field day, minimum penalty is not just financial but potential loss of liberty for 3 years.

You have been warned

Having seen the outrageous hassles of getting CE and near endless added drama of getting a license plate and all the disadvantages and limitations to riding locations it offers, I personally see all the desire about trying to call an offroad bike/bicycle to pose as a street motorcycle as sensible as smashing your own nuts with a wooden mallet.

Its a free world for everyone gets to pick the hassles they want to add to their lives, but keeping an epic fun offroad machine as a fun offroad machine seems like winning to me.

Ultimately, some countries/states can ban the import and/or sale of any product they wish...even for private land , "off road", use. For example those original 3 wheeled Honda ATVs , 2 stroke outboard motors, and motorcycles.
Often "kit" or component assembly imports or sales can avoid those issues for private use.
Keep quiet, and enjoy while you can before the "fun Police" decide to interfere !

Back