GPS tracker

^`Kay. GPS now "hot". :lol:

That previous tracker was around $40 on ebay same as the below version.

It says the battery is good for a few months in standby not sure how that relates to actual use.. I expect it would drain within a week. The Chinese ad states it has a 3500mah battery its likely 1/2.
My idea is hide a small gps in a false bottom in one the bike bags much like they to do with suitcases :)

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

LockH said:
MadRhino said:
Those guys at Vanmoof’s mean business, tracking a stolen bike from France to Morocco, recovering it, and finding the organized thieves network.

Your bike’s bodyguards !
Worth every penny. :twisted:

Hehe... VanMoof Bike Hunters | Ep 3: The One that Got Away
[youtube]18vGNrFKDxE[/youtube]

Seen here:
http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/l...sing-international-368537#fQms5jJi4mCfjXOm.01

:mrgreen:

This is great stuff, but where can I get this gps tracker from them?

Im thinking I will get one use it on my bike and carry it when hiking and prospecting as it is i use a return date as a safety catch.
With the gps tracker your spouse or friends can watch your progress and know where you are on google maps.

That first link you posted gps service costs $250 ca. year works out to about $20 month they also have 3 and 6 month service ,

They sell this one at costco for $160 with no contract $15 a month gps service. be nice to find a plan for $10 Im going to keep looking.

imageService

The costco reviews were positive

```````
```
``

Why not just use some 10-20USD GPS tracker and cheap cel plan? I have bought several in 2011 and still use them , they send coordinate via sms (easily recognized by android phone), can map them, programmable by sms and you can establish voice connection any-time to hear whats going on. If G sensor function is enabled, GPS is off at standstill and battery holds a long time. In my case it is connected to charge point in a car (cars I need to monitor a gas usage).
It is 2018 now but they look like those guys: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Spy-Vehicle-GPS-GSM-GPRS-Tracker-Car-Tracking-Locator-Device-TK102-Magnetic/201676900224?epid=555529439&hash=item2ef4e14780:g:E~UAAOSwsEhbIMjR
Any problem to get 5V there?

Here is my 2 cents.
GPS has a few problems.
Always needs a battery.
Always need an antennae.
Accuracy.
Battery causes a problem because now you need to be able to access the device, so putting it somewhere hard for the crock to find makes it hard for you to get to.
GPS needs to be able to communicate to let you know where it is so having it buried in you seat tube, tires, etc stops the signal from working. Accuracy the best GPS in the world is probably in you iPhone and now think of how it doesn't work in undergrounds, elevators, and apartment building.
A lot of bikes end up in a flop house where the fence lives. This guys are usually armed because of the amount property. They have much more to loose than just a bike.
Now lets phone the cops they see that the GPS is coming back to an apartment building or house with a 300 meter radius. Problem with that is how do they tell a judge that without a doubt the bike is in 123 main st and not 121 or 125.
Save your money buy a good lock $150.00 learn how to lock your bike and register your bike with project 529.
Im not saying that tech won't be able to help us one day but right now it's just not there. There are way more details I could tell you but thats this is the cheat notes.

^^ Thank you A. Many here carry batteries [giggle giggle] and use DC-DC converters to run lots of non motor-related accessories? Any chance any/many GPS units can be "battery free" and wired to draw a pinch of "house power"?

EDIT: Welcome aboard the `Sphere, BTW. :)

K9 Tracking Device Wifi GPS Locator Vibration Alarm Tracker For E-bike Scooter
https://www.banggood.com/K9-Trackin...r-E-bike-Scooter-p-1171691.html#jsReviewsWrap
CA$50.16

8a4eafdf-a956-45f2-a4dd-77245e997b49.JPG

57b2113f-3730-454f-891d-14fe63002e58.jpg

46461f8d-44f2-47e7-9045-51a4d9e5d1a4.jpg

One Review:
Works as described! And much more! Settings can be changed remotely by application on cell phone! I like this thing ) My opinion that main goal of this product is ability to call on you cell phone, if bike have a strong vibration or impact ( sensitivity can be adjusted or disabled). Position can be refreshed by 15s or 1 minute (power saving mode) interval, this setting can also remotely changed. 5 of 5 stars. P.S. Who write "dont working" in comments - please turn on you brains and learn how to read a manual! You need only sim card WITHOUT pin code verification! Otherwise device not started!

“Big Brother is Watching”: Tracking Devices in Bicycles:
https://bitterwinter.org/tracking-devices-in-bicycles/

Authorities in China are installing surveillance devices in electrically-powered bicycles and motorbikes, raising concerns that the government wants to track the movement of citizens.

According to Ms. Chen (a pseudonym) from Huanan county of Jiamusi city, Heilongjiang Province in Northeast China, in August of this year, the local police assembled all the citizens from her village who have electric transportation, and installed surveillance devices in their vehicles on the grounds of “issuing new license plates.”

:shock:

=Brentis post_id=1080709 time=1438694016 user_id=15694]
A GPS locator can be a great tool, but.....
Someone stole your bike, now you know where it is, up to a house or three or an apartment building. Now what?
Call a cop? If you get one to investigate and retrieve you are very lucky. Cops in general just don't have the time or resources to track done everyone's stolen goods, even if you know where it is (gps) they still have to get a search warrant. Can't just go busting doors down looking for bikes. They won't be bothered.
That leaves it up to you. Are you prepared to confront the thief of your bike? Are you going to bust down a door to get it?
Do you have a gang of friends with guns? Career thieves often do.
I bring this up because of a tragic event similar to this happening in Toronto earlier this spring.
Guy(teen) gets robbed of his iPhone. No problem, they have an app for that. Uses the iPhone locator, finds out where his phone is, tries to retrieve it and gets stabbed to death. That's when the cops finally stepped in to help.

The GPS my help you locate it, but are you ready to deal with a feinding crackhead to get it back.

excellent post
What you do if you find out from GPS TRACKING where your bike is..???
Are willing to confront thieves??
Cops need search warrant , right to look for your bike.
So what is the point of tracking stolen goods like for example less than 2000 dolllars bike?

Our son had two motorcycles stolen in Houston, he found one on social media, another was advertised on Craigslist in Dallas. He recovered both, but Houston police would do nothing at all, even when told who had the MCs and where they were. HPD was completely useless. Completely useless.

One bike was used for weekly outlaw rides, our son just walked up, snapped a lock on the brake disk and took it back. The other was recovered with the help of an off duty cop friend. Somebody on the MC forums noted it stolen and saw it on Dallas CL, he contacted our son, that's how it was found.

Knowing where your stolen stuff is and getting it back are two different things.

MikeSSS said:
Knowing where your stolen stuff is and getting it back are two different things.

Yeah it'd be hard to get it back, most times dont they just chop it up. Otherwise you'd have to stake out the crack house and wait for you opportunity to pounce.

I can just feel for a owner who actually knows where his bike is
but cannot do anything about it.
EXCEPT - apply violence. /and get arrested for it???/
hard to believe police in civilized country would do nothing to recover goods for tax paying resident.
one time
I wanted to sell my spare MTB on Kiji but gave up after finding used bike prices really cheap ,obviosly because of stolen bikes.
I am not sure here in Calgary Alberta, Canada how would police react to:
" I know where my stolen bike is"

`

Chains/ locks are BS. ALL they provide is delay.
Systems prevent theft, not hardware.
I often use a cable lock that I can cut with scissors, but eyeballs connected to a brain.

If I have to defend my stuff, I do.
Not by proxy.
Why do folks think their proxies, GPS,chains, locks, police , insurance, substitute for the real thing?

and ugly bikes?
"If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life,
Never make a pretty woman your wife.
No, from my personal point of view
Get an ugly girl to marry you."
Come on,
Are we all going to start wearing daggers again?

Eastwood said:
I recently installed an Apple AirTag. Can’t complain for $30 and I can track it on my phone.

Well if your bike gets stolen the cops are not going to help. You would have to take matters into your own hands. Literally ✊✊✊

Range?

TDB said:

I believe you can track it as far as you want.

spinningmagnets said:
so, if i have an iPhone, I can pay $30 for the tag, and theres no monthly charge?

Yes exactly! I was quite surprised that it was only $30 with no hidden fees. Basically connect it to your iPhone and your good to go. You can track it through find my iPhone app.

Eastwood said:
TDB said:

I believe you can track it as far as you want.

spinningmagnets said:
so, if i have an iPhone, I can pay $30 for the tag, and theres no monthly charge?

Yes exactly! I was quite surprised that it was only $30 with no hidden fees. Basically connect it to your iPhone and your good to go. You can track it through find my iPhone app.

Not quite... BT has a range of about 10m and after a little reading my understanding is airtag relies on other people's iphone's as they pass to report position. Airtag doesn't know its position, it is a dumb beacon and the phone simply reports airtag xyz in the vicinity of the phone and uses the phones GPS coordinates. That assumes BT and location services are enabled.

I have reservations about my phone being used in such a manner... another reason to keep at least BT disabled. Apple really annoyed me with BT and WiFi "disabled until tomorrow " from the control centre. I don't need it mapping what is around me... it is none of their business.

As a theft tracker Airtag has one flaw... the anti stalker feature which will throw up an alert if the thief is carrying an iphone.

sansasur said:
I wouldn´t say that a GPS tracker is installed. As a thief, I would bring something with me, which blocks the Signal of the GPS.

didnt know you had a strong enough cage to block signals on the from the entire bike and surrounding area

let me guess some pocket EMP lol

Back