Thread for new battery breakthrough PR releases

Haha well I understand the problem with the mode of transportation, but the claims written by the super cap guys? Saying that batteries cannot accept the current levels required for efficient regen braking? That's obviously not true, unless we're talking emergency situations.

I could see a situation where the regen braking/batteries aren't capable of handling peek currents during performance applications, such as formula E, but that's about it.

Plus this is only with current battery tech. Roll on something new (the solid state batteries above reaching maturity) and the ability of the batteries to accept charge will no doubt go up again. Still a capacitors freedom from requiring complex charging electronics could potentially be useful.

solid state batteries have a long ways to go. there is something inherently limiting about lithium ions diffusing through a solid material, compared to a liquid electrolyte. if it does get developed, it won't be used for high power density applications like EV's. It will likely get used for lower power devices or grid storage.

the big break through is going to come from how to make the anode pure lithium. solidenergy is supposedly already doing that (kudos to that). but to be honest, it's almost too good to be true. the problem with battery R&D is that when you have a disruptive tech, it's very costly to take it from the lab bench to full production. you don't know what you might find along the way. and in the end, what you end up getting might be only marginally better than what's available commercially, it might be far from what you've promised based on lab data. there's thousands of things that can go wrong, and a huge risk. there have been various battery start ups that have disappeared because of this. and that's why big companies won't invest in new battery tech unless it's really REALLy well understood (like silicon), and can fit well in the existing battery production infrastructure. tesla uses cylindrical cells because its production is very well optimized over the years, and thus the manufacturing cost is comparatively low, but cylindrical cells pale in comparison to pouch cells in terms of pack energy density. right now, the focus on research is secondary to development. that's why the improvement of battery technology will continue to be a steady increase, not a step change.

and i thought capacitors are already being used in formula-e for regen braking and acceleration out of the corners.

I guess all the claims made by various companies are bunk then.

I'm sure Toyota, for one, have said they'll be using solid state batteries by 2020.

Gotta keep the shareholders and investors happy you know.

I was at a few battery talks during a conference at my university earlier this year and there were multiple professors who were talking about solid state technology, at least one was being funded by Toyota. But when faced with the question from the dude from Apple about what the advantage is, they were without answers.

Im no expert on solid state electrolytes, but it’ll be a huge challenge to get it working

Hehe... "lower power devices"... like electric bicycles? :wink:

https://www.grabat.es/es/quienes-somos
A branch of graphenano ( the spanish company that made world's first graphene ship) named Grabat is developing graphene batteries.
There's very few information so far but the official news is that Chint (chinese energetic multinational)
Has bought 25% of the company and will be their first main customer. Also Airbus (main european aeroplane company) has signed a contract with them.
They claim they have reached 400wh/kg making totally safe batteries. They do not ignite in contact with the Air, punctures etc....
They do not heat and have high C(no official data yet).
As i said there's very few info, photos....about It but the contracts with Chint and Airbus are public and 100% real. Therefore i state right here right now that this is not smoke. They are gonna release soon top stuff.

[youtube]H0jf8z-JPG0 [/youtube]
Sorry... No english. I guess they will make some as soon as they are done developing and start mass production.

This video is two years old.....

rojitor said:
[youtube]H0jf8z-JPG0 [/youtube]
Sorry... No english. I guess they will make some as soon as they are done developing and start mass production.

Research shows NMC cathode voltage fade is reversible:
https://chargedevs.com/newswire/research-shows-nmc-cathode-voltage-fade-is-reversible/

Begins:
New research from the University of California San Diego has found one of the causes of voltage fade in lithium-rich layered oxides (LRLO). LRLO is a promising candidate as a cathode material as it can provide 50% more capacity than current alternatives. However, voltage fade reduces the energy capacity of this material over time. UC San Diego’s research has shown that the phenomenon in LRLO, NMC specifically, is reversible and that there are several ways to mitigate its effects.

The researchers identified nanoscale defects or dislocations in Lithium-rich NMC cathode materials as the batteries charged at a range of voltages going up to 4.7 volts. “The dislocations are extra atomic layers that don’t fit into the otherwise perfectly periodic crystal structure,” said lead author Andrej Singer. “Discovering these dislocations was a big surprise: if anything, we expected the extra atomic layers to occur in a completely different orientation.” By combining experimental evidence with theory, the team concluded that the nucleation of this specific type of dislocation results in voltage fade.

The data showed that these defects are more common in LRLO compared to standard layered oxides, with no new defects occurring above 4.2 V in non-lithium-rich NMC materials. Researchers were able to peer inside each nanoparticle through the use of Argonne National Lab’s Bragg coherent diffractive imaging technique. Based on their observations, the team found that heat-treating the cathode materials removed most defects and restored their original voltages.

“Our paper is mainly about unlocking the mystery of the dislocations that cause voltage fade in Lithium-rich NMCs. We don’t have a scalable solution yet to solving the voltage fade problem in Lithium-rich NMCs, but we are making progress,” says co-author Professor Shirley Meng.

Fellow author Minghao Zhang states,“Our work for the first time clearly demonstrates that defect generation and defect accumulation in the structure of Lithium-rich NMC materials are the origins of voltage fade. Based on this explanation, we designed a heat treatment regime and then showed that the heat treatments removed the defects in the bulk structure and restored the battery output voltage.”

... and
Nucleation of dislocations and their dynamics in layered oxide cathode materials during battery charging
from the University of California San Diego team:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41560-018-0184-2

Further experiment to determine suitability may follow (or not):
Not the soup, the shrink wrap! Was able to tease mine off the
box without tearing. Feels 2 layers might be better than one...

Scientists create battery that refuels electric cars in seconds:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-45179722

Starts:
Scottish scientists have developed a liquid battery which could charge electric cars in seconds.

A team at the University of Glasgow has created a prototype system that could revolutionise travel.

The technology uses a metal oxide - described by researchers as an "exotic rust" - that can be charged with electricity when added to water.

Drivers would use filling stations to refuel their electric cars, driving away instantly once a battery is full.

https://www.gla.ac.uk/news/headline_601603_en.html

https://www.energylivenews.com/2018/08/14/new-battery-tech-could-recharge-evs-in-seconds-not-hours/

^^ Hehe... Back to the Future Mr. Fusion Car Charger

jgoq_bttf_mr_fusion_car_charger_inuse.jpg

Note: Car not included.

LockH said:
^^ Hehe... Back to the Future Mr. Fusion Car Charger

jgoq_bttf_mr_fusion_car_charger_inuse.jpg

Note: Car not included.

Yes, it's fiction today, but tomorrow you can order the real thing via Amazon prime. For example,

Today's version of the Tricorder - https://tinyurl.com/y9dagqfz

Today's version of the Hoverboard - https://tinyurl.com/jrmhycl

Attachments

• bttf-hoverboard-fail.jpg
    bttf-hoverboard-fail.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 3,768
^^ Hehe... Forgive me, however if adding anything online I try and add some context/etc to provide more... context... to any URL given, a little more than Right underneath our very noses!? :) ... and I thought this thread here was more about high(er) capacity and long(er) cycle life?

Doc. Bass's first post in this thread VERY EXTREME HIGH POWER li-ion battery for HEV
("and 500 000 cycles shallow cycle")

Anyway... Wasn't saying I didn't believe you... JUST hoped to add a bit more context to save folks from clicking on a link it turns out they have absolutely zero interest in. (Like, I haven't owned or operated any automobile for decades. Went 21st-century and urban, and have zero interest in wasting money... or threatening anything with a weapon of mass destruction.)

LockH said:
^^ Hehe... Forgive me, however if adding anything online I try and add some context/etc to provide more... context... to any URL given, a little more than Right underneath our very noses!? :) ... and I thought this thread here was more about high(er) capacity and long(er) cycle life?

Doc. Bass's first post in this thread VERY EXTREME HIGH POWER li-ion battery for HEV
("and 500 000 cycles shallow cycle")

Anyway... Wasn't saying I didn't believe you... JUST hoped to add a bit more context to save folks from clicking on a link it turns out they have absolutely zero interest in. (Like, I haven't owned or operated any automobile for decades. Went 21st-century and urban, and have zero interest in wasting money... or threatening anything with a weapon of mass destruction.)

The irony is that the breakthroughs in alternative energy storage or power sources will more than likely come from the automotive industry or the Saudi's.

It was all in humor...but in seriousness...it amazes me what humanity can conjure up in th span of 50 yrs. With the way things are going in regards to EV's, I'm speculating a breakthrough has already occurred, but it is probably too economically disruptive to the established ICE infrastructure.

Look what came across my feed today!
A little tease

"This could be a game-changer—a paradigm shift in how a battery operates. What we’ve come up with is a different approach—physically stabilizing the lithium metal surface with a ceramic. It’s not combustible"

https://interestingengineering.com/researchers-develop-new-long-lasting-fireproof-lithium-batteries

^^ Hehe... "researchers from the University of Michigan"... Gotta love the young... who come up with "crazy" ideas (as their brains are still malleable and they can "think outside the box"). :) "Packet Switching" via "URL"s comes to mind... :lol:

Hi everyone.

Does someone already noticed the LCB technology?
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/prologium-technology-and-weltmeister-will-co-produce-the-first-ev-in-the-world-which-adopts-next-generation-lithium-ceramic-battery-300545258.html

Sadly, the website of the company, prologium ltd, is not working but sounds really interesting, especially for the safety. The batteries can be cut, squezed, overcharged.... whatever without exploding or catching fire.

Cheers

Solid state batteries by 2019? wow.

https://electrek.co/2018/09/11/soli...undai-samsung-breakthrough-electric-vehicles/

In a press release, the company listed a bunch of advantages that they claim their technology has over current batteries:

2 – 3X higher energy vs. current lithium-ion
Substantially improved safety due to the elimination of the volatile, flammable, and corrosive liquid electrolyte as used in lithium-ion
Low-cost battery-pack designs through:
Minimization of safety features
Elimination of pack cooling
Greatly simplified cell, module, and pack designs through the elimination of the need for liquid containment
High manufacturability due to compatibility with automated, industry-standard, roll-to-roll production
Solid Power said that it plans to use the funds from its Series A investment to “scale-up production via a multi-MWh roll-to-roll facility, which will be fully constructed and installed by the end of 2018 and fully operational in 2019.”

Back