Evo e scooter 36v 800w more speed + range help

Tj1990

10 mW
Hi
I have a evo scooter 36v 800w, looking for more speed and range, I'm currently goin 16-17mph and a range of around 6mile on 3 12v 12ah sla batts. Running stock gearing at 11t motor 55t rear on 10" wheels

I've red about overvolting the motor to 48v but I would loose range ?

I've seen brushless 2000w 48v motor on eBay would this give me more speed and range with brushless controller aswel on 4 12v 15ah sla batts ?

Any info / help would be much appreciated

Increasing your battery volts and ah will increase both your speed and range.

Thanks for the reply
I'm going to order a new controller (48v 1000w) new throttle 48v and a set of 4 12v 15ah sla batts, will upgrade to lipo soon but don't have the funds at the moment lol. Il make a box for 4th battery to go on the dec for now, how long will my motor last overvolting ? It's a 36v 800w my1020 brushed motor, what would be a good reliable upgrade (motor) when the 800w dies ?
Thanks

Hi , i have a similar style scooter (48v chaos 1600W ) and like you i am keen for more range and speed.

My build is coming in the summer and i will update the post i have when revived all my parts from the legendary EG in Colorado!

If i was you my budget option would be to get 3x 4s multi-star lipo packs , a 48v Chinese controller and a if you want more torque move to a 1600w Boma motor. (this wold fit in exactly the same space as your current motor i think?).

By ditching the SLA you will save a good amount of weight and keeping the stock gearing plus amusing your not a FB like me you should hit 30 mph+ with fair acceleration on the 1600w . But why stop there? pop in another pack 4s pack and go for a 60v cheap Chinese controller, keep the 1600w motor and will have a quick scooter that should keep you happy and zip you to around the 45mph mark all day long plus give you good range.

By going lipo you would need to have a RC lipo charger as a minimum to get your packs charged.

On this forum there are many similar builds on this generic Chinese scooter and lots of ideas to get you thinking.

Are you in the UK? or even near Leicestershire as i have a 48v battery that should drop right in if you are interested at all and if you just want a quick fix. Im sure some one will be along shortly to offer more advice and good luck on your journey.

DC

Well, it's one thing to try to get a little more out of the existing bike, it's another to put much into upgrades, that'll only be so comfortable.

As for a 2000w motor, you might want to look out for a bike like this to put that on. I little thing like you have is not well suited.

Razor_24V_EcoSma_530bd53164b92-500x500.jpg

Thanks for reply Drc

I'm from Tamworth near Birmingham uk, what batts do u have ?

I have a iMax b6 charger should be ok for 4s, How many lipos would I need to get decent range on 48v ? Would I need a Bms ?

The boma motor sounds good, il look into this, I've seen afew builds on here with this motor.

Thanks for all the help
Todd

The Evo seems stable with front and back suspensions and discs brakes. would bigger wheels help with higher speeds ? Think I'm going to go with the 1600w boma motor for this scooter, maybe overvolted we will see lol. What controller can i use with the 1600w boma ? And can I get it from uk ?

Thanks
Todd

Hi Todd if your not in a rush i will have my 1600w Boma motor and 48v controller up for grabs over the next 8 weeks or so when i have upgraded.
I have a standard 48v SLA but if i'm honest don't bother with SLA's. really dont !

Save up go for a Lipo set up. i went with mulitstart 16000mah packs at 45/50 pounds a pack via ebay. You will want 3.

your charger will work with 4S packs . You could use a BMS but again if your wanting to cut corners you can pick up a lipo cell checker and keep that in the battery bay so you can monitor the cells from time to time. i do.

range is hard to say but i saving the weight and using the above lipos on the 1600 boma will give you 30mph with a range over 10 miles at full tilt. but this is just a guess. i have not yet tested the range but will and post it up.

Ian Hills write up is good . He went for a 2000W boma and had a great time! keep reading and expanding your knowledge. I was in your shoes just a few months back.

Hi Drc, how much would you want for your motor and controller ?

As for batteries I'm going to save and buy the multistar lipo packs you mentioned, but for now il get a extra sla so I can overvolt my 36v motor for abit more speed until I can afford lipo setup, motor and controller.

Can I use my 36v throttle with a brushless set up ? Is there anything else I need to change ?

Thanks for all the advise and help, I will keep reading and try learn more, this forum is amazing soo much info and different builds it's hard to take it all in lol
I'm already planning to mod my sons maf 800w mini dirt bike And thinking about a second scooter for the missis lol

I put 4 new batteries and 48v controller on and its new top speed is 26mph on flat with more power ,range is more now at 8mile+ although I thought it would be a lot less.

Also fitted volt metre, temp gauge and didgital speedo, will upload some pics soon

Motor makes a strange buzzing noise not sure if that's normal with overvolting ,motor temp got to 42c, is that to hot ?

Thanks

It looks like your already having fun modding. 27 mph is good. how does it feel going around at that speed? do you want more yet?
what the next step for you?

The scooter is quite stable at 26mph, chain and motor are very noisy though.

I think the next upgrades will be thicker chain and sprockets to kill the noise, followed by brushless motor and controller (1600w boma), also need to do something with the disc brakes as I'm forever adjusting them away from the disc, might go hydraulic with extended hose for rear, will look into this soon.

As for batteries I think I'm going to go the lipo route.

My goal is 30+mph with around 20mile range, shouldn't be too hard lol

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    94.9 KB · Views: 4,936
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    100.2 KB · Views: 4,936
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    116 KB · Views: 4,936
good to see some pictures .
I'm keeping an eye on this thread. I like your positioning of your gauges.

Thanks Drc

Upgrading the brakes next as they barely slow me down at the moment( not safe) , I've got some push bike disc brake callipers I'm going to fit,they have bigger pads so hopefully should be able to stop,if not il be getting hydrolic brakes lol

I also changed the front suspension (as seen in pic above), the old chrome Spring was too bouncy and had no damping at all. Much smoother with the new suspension and looks very nice too, the new 1 is for the new Maf scooters but fit snug just had to put 2 washers either side of the bottom mount and its perfect.

Il let you know how I get on with brakes and put some pics up when fitted

Hi, chipping in on the brakes issue i found mine was really poor when i first got it,so d set about cleaning and setting them up correctly and i am really glad i did! They work so well now and i doubt i will need to upgrade them but they do take a little maintenance to keep them in top working order.i'm a 20 stone guy and they have no issue slowing me down from speed. I also had real issue with the front spring as it was rock hard and could not find a stock softer option so i spent i while looking for the right die spring ( VL50-102 VL - Light Green Die Spring - Extra Light Load) .I had to do a little fettling to make it fit and now its perfect and the scooter feels balanced and comfortable.

keep up the good work.

Thanks for the advice on the brakes, I use my scooter nearly every day an I'm adjusting the brakes every other day lol.

I've fitted the new rear brake, had to straiten the disc 1st lol an drilled a new hole for new mount, added afew washers so it lines up. works amazing now, just got to fit the front 1, waiting on a new calliper mount as I only had 1 for some reason.

Chain snapped today (I thought the motor had died but it's still going 😀). It was all twisted so I think it came off an snaped when the wheel locked up.

I've been looking into 219 chain and sprockets but I'm struggling to find sprockets that will fit motor or wheel, would I have to modify go kart sprockets some how ? I'm not sure how others have done this but will keep reading on here for answers.

It turns out the evo was using (mini moto) chain, smaller than t8f as I bought a new scooter (chaos 48v 1600w) an it has much thicker chain and it says t8f on a couple of the links. I'm just going to change the sprockets and chain to t8f and leave it overvolted for the missis lol so I can fix up the chaos for me.

So to the new scooter I picked up the other day, it's a chaos 48v 1600w not working with issues, mainly wiring problems as it looks like a 12 year old has wired it up lol loads of leccy tap ,wires mixed up in different connectors, blown controller ,hopefully motor works...... Loads to do ...
Pics soon

In response to your title...bigger battery and higher voltage. Avoid SLA.

SO then on a more updated note, consider going to 219 chain and sprockets. The parts are readily available in just about any size you could ever want and the parts are cheap since they get used by KART racers so much. Also, the chain can handle 10kw. I know it's over kill, but it also does just great at 2kw. 219 is my "go to" chain and sprocket solution for everything.

That 1600 watt scooter came direct from China with that horednous wiring. My first EV came to me brand new with wads of wires barely twisted together and then wrapped in black tape. No wonder I had an electrical short in the battery box that melted all of it. What you describe sounds exactly like how this came to me right out of the box.

Original%20Scooter_zpsapehvtrf.jpg

Thanks

Where would I get 219 motor sprocket and wheel sprocket ? Would I have to adapt a kart motor sprocket ?

The wiring was awful glad I wasn't the only person with this issue.

I've got abit of play in the 2 pins that hold the front end on/ folding, I'm going to change these to nut a bolt and hopefully it goes solid.

What controller would be best to use with the 1600w boma ?

I was told the chaos needed a controller, but after I rewired everything it comes on but when I pull the throttle nothing happens ? Is that the controller ? even tho it powers the throttle ? Or could it be down to a sensor in the motor ?

Any help would be much appreciated
Thanks

I changed the throttle and it all works 😃
Upgrades next, but that's another thread lol

Back