Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Enginepy said:
Pictures won't post, not sure why.

Bummer! Maybe share a google photos link?

I am jealous. I'd love to find a way to ride this thing legally on the road. I hope it is not too much longer to get one with a VIN number.
I also just saw the CSC City Slicker this morning:
https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/csc-introduces-its-first-electric-motorcycle-the-city-slicker-at-1995

It looks great for the price, but I can't figure out why it is so much heavier (216 lbs) than the Sur Ron (110 lbs) ....

Like Enginepy, I also got mine yesterday that I had ordered from the pre-order sale. I'm a long time off-road dirt bike guy and was considering an Alta, but it's weight and range (an price!!!) gave me enough pause to be patient for a few more years until they are more in line with the gas bikes. So in the meantime I got the Sur-Ron to play around on.

Mine came with a 72% on the battery and the un-boxing/assembly was uneventful.

My initial thoughts were quality on most of the components is quite good. Things that concerned me were the way the light is mounted in the handlebar clamp and the foot pegs look pretty sketchy as far as durability is concerned. The spring rate in the forks felt soft to me (~180lbs), but the shock felt about right.

I rode around my property a bit in sport mode, battery was down to 90% after an indicated 5km. I wasn't get a good feeling from the tires, so I checked their pressure and they had like 25 psi in them! I aired the front down to 16 and took the back down to 14 and they worked much better, but i'll still probably end up replacing them with something else soon. I fiddled with the compression and rebound adjustments on the fork and about 5 out from full firm on both seemed to work pretty well. It definitely needs a front fender and a longer rear fender as it was kicking up dirt and mud all over me, and also a flap to keep crap of the linkage/shock would be good too.

As far as size is concerned, it's small, but not to the point where it was super uncomfortable. I like a fairly aggressive riding position while standing, but I found the bars to be a bit too low still. I think getting something with a 1" or 1.5" more rise would be about right. Power wise, it's got enough to be fun, but not intimidate. I just put in an order for the 58 tooth sprocket from Kim because I care more about torque than top speed.

My usual ride around the house is an old, neglected ttr225 that I found on craigslist for $200. I'm pretty sure i'm going to end up selling it because the Sur-Ron is much more fun to ride and it's waaay more quiet!

My dealings with Luna were pretty good. I had asked them some questions before the purchase which they answered fairly promptly. I had seen someone who got theirs delivered on a semi and was concerned about that, so I asked them about it to which they didn't give a particularly helpful answer. Fortunately FedEx called in advance and I was able to have them deliver it in a 24' box truck with a lift gate (apparently a pilot program in my area according to the driver).

Others considering purchasing should be aware that they will charge your card in full when the order is placed rather than waiting until it shipped. Not a big deal, but still a little surprising considering the amount.

Sorry, this is a bit of a ramble, but hopefully it'll be useful for someone.

Quick question: Are we okay to charge the battery while still mounted in the bike? I know to turn off the air switch and unplug the connectors, but is there a reason to remove the battery from the frame to charge?

No reason to switch of the air switch/disconnect the cables before charging. Same goes for taking it out. Would only take it out because I have to, like when storing the bike in a cold garage knowing you need to use the bike the day after(you want the cells warm when taking off, specially in winter)
Or when I have to charge it at office, easier to take the battery instead of the whole bike.

Allex said:
No reason to switch of the air switch/disconnect the cables before charging. Same goes for taking it out. Would only take it out because I have to, like when storing the bike in a cold garage knowing you need to use the bike the day after(you want the celss warm when taking off, specialky in winter)
Or when I have to charge it at office, esier to take the battery instead of the whole bike.

Thanks so much, that makes life a little easier. I don't like overusing connectors, shortens their life.

WrongWayJefe said:
Like Enginepy, I also got mine yesterday that I had ordered from the pre-order sale. I'm a long time off-road dirt bike guy and was considering an Alta, but it's weight and range (an price!!!) gave me enough pause to be patient for a few more years until they are more in line with the gas bikes. So in the meantime I got the Sur-Ron to play around on.

Mine came with a 72% on the battery and the un-boxing/assembly was uneventful.

My initial thoughts were quality on most of the components is quite good. Things that concerned me were the way the light is mounted in the handlebar clamp and the foot pegs look pretty sketchy as far as durability is concerned. The spring rate in the forks felt soft to me (~180lbs), but the shock felt about right.

I rode around my property a bit in sport mode, battery was down to 90% after an indicated 5km. I wasn't get a good feeling from the tires, so I checked their pressure and they had like 25 psi in them! I aired the front down to 16 and took the back down to 14 and they worked much better, but i'll still probably end up replacing them with something else soon. I fiddled with the compression and rebound adjustments on the fork and about 5 out from full firm on both seemed to work pretty well. It definitely needs a front fender and a longer rear fender as it was kicking up dirt and mud all over me, and also a flap to keep crap of the linkage/shock would be good too.

As far as size is concerned, it's small, but not to the point where it was super uncomfortable. I like a fairly aggressive riding position while standing, but I found the bars to be a bit too low still. I think getting something with a 1" or 1.5" more rise would be about right. Power wise, it's got enough to be fun, but not intimidate. I just put in an order for the 58 tooth sprocket from Kim because I care more about torque than top speed.

My usual ride around the house is an old, neglected ttr225 that I found on craigslist for $200. I'm pretty sure i'm going to end up selling it because the Sur-Ron is much more fun to ride and it's waaay more quiet!

My dealings with Luna were pretty good. I had asked them some questions before the purchase which they answered fairly promptly. I had seen someone who got theirs delivered on a semi and was concerned about that, so I asked them about it to which they didn't give a particularly helpful answer. Fortunately FedEx called in advance and I was able to have them deliver it in a 24' box truck with a lift gate (apparently a pilot program in my area according to the driver).

Others considering purchasing should be aware that they will charge your card in full when the order is placed rather than waiting until it shipped. Not a big deal, but still a little surprising considering the amount.

Sorry, this is a bit of a ramble, but hopefully it'll be useful for someone.

Ciao Jefe, nice little new customer review. I am much heavier than you, and I went from the 48T to the 58T and down to the 52T which I like the best. I am 240 pounds and the bike works great with the 52t on the rear. I plan on upgrading the forks, handle bars, and controller. Thats this machine needs.

liveforphysics said:
We had a dream evening of racing the hotrod Sur Ron against motorcycles and a bad ass supercar. I wont spoil the unexpected surprises, already worked all day and its nearing 4am but i will try to finish getting a video together and uploaded tonight or tomorrow morning (morning for me starts at noonish).

That Video was insane,what kind of a Setup do you have for 30 kW ? I would be more then happy at a 10kW middrive..

It's a custom 21s pack made from 25R cells and a ASI BAC8000 controller, with a tune still being perfected, but coming in wicked fast already.

Compoundbike said:
liveforphysics said:
We had a dream evening of racing the hotrod Sur Ron against motorcycles and a bad ass supercar. I wont spoil the unexpected surprises, already worked all day and its nearing 4am but i will try to finish getting a video together and uploaded tonight or tomorrow morning (morning for me starts at noonish).

That Video was insane,what kind of a Setup do you have for 30 kW ? I would be more then happy at a 10kW middrive..

liveforphysics said:
It's a custom 21s pack made from 25R cells and a ASI BAC8000 controller, with a tune still being perfected, but coming in wicked fast already.

Compoundbike said:
liveforphysics said:

How many parallel cells?

Luna is now accepting pre-orders for a battery pack made with Samsung 30q cells for $1400. No other details are offered, any guesses?

Hotroded Sur Ron vs Hotroded 4 stroke 450 Husky SM track bike with launch control and a pro rider.

The tune is getting more dialed, it's a wheelie management game to race. I had to leave to catch a flight immediately getting off the bike from those races, enjoy the vid.

[youtube]vyf_g8VZE40[/youtube]

liveforphysics said:
Hotroded Sur Ron vs Hotroded 4 stroke 450 Husky SM track bike with launch control and a pro rider.

The tune is getting more dialed, it's a wheelie management game to race. I had to leave to catch a flight immediately getting off the bike from those races, enjoy the vid.

[youtube]vyf_g8VZE40[/youtube]

That video is sick man :twisted: , yah, wheelie management is key to quick launches, nicely done.

Whoa! Just out of curiosity, how long does the battery last with that amount of output?

I did a few mods so far. Higher bars (old 1 1/8" moto bars, had to shim to get them to work), Cheapo hand guards and disconnected the brake cut-off switches.

iGqvIjf.jpg

Thinking down the road, those switches could be used for a brake light if I decide to pursue street legality. Anyone know where one can find matching connectors? I'd rather do that than butcher the wiring.

Hi guys. Any ideas of what kind of break liquid does Sur-Ron have?
Is it DOT-4 or mineral oil?

I have pretty weak front break efficiency, any ideas how to fix it?
It is too soft and too weak.

Another issue -
Sur-Ron is a great bike, but I have an issue with lower motor guard - it is made from very thin aluminum and bent already.
It is too soft almost like a peace of paper or cardboard.
Could you suggest who and where can manufacture stainless steel type of this part?Снимок экрана 2018-06-16 в 13.51.44.png

Hi,

Just got my Light Bee, assemble it but have ride yet... just a backyard throttle twist to get a feeling.

Can anyone post a picture or video on how to disconnect the brake cut off switch, I’m used to wheelie on normal bikes and motorbikes and this feature really pisses me off.

Overall feeling is of joy, bike is super well made, ordered from Sweden from ridesurron.com (thanks Alex, Jesper and Bjorn), very transparent and clear communication.

Already ordered raised bars... indeed stock are too low, next upgrade to get from Kim a bigger rear sprocket. The fine tuning should pass by removing lights completely, since is not road legal has no purpose as I will use it on track, upgrade controller and change to 1/4 twist throttle.

More to come on this one.

Thanks, this community convinced me to get a Light Bee.

Noillek said:
Can anyone post a picture or video on how to disconnect the brake cut off switch, I’m used to wheelie on normal bikes and motorbikes and this feature really pisses me off.

I haven't done it myself; but you just unplug the wires going to the break levers.

3DTOPO said:
Noillek said:

I haven't done it myself; but you just unplug the wires going to the break levers.

Thanks I will give a try... if anyone knows a easy way to remove the lights without cutting wires that would also be great.

Here are the images of the assembly...

Seems that is a newer version, has a vehicle number and besides blinkers has everything to become road legal, even a document stating that has speed limit 20km/h I guess that is for registration purposes.

4F3D1693-60DB-4D38-B50D-55480D018D65.jpeg

29D792DF-B627-4636-9383-E478DEFACDAB.jpeg

8F7BFE06-5649-4AE3-899D-333417F907FB.jpeg

1DF8B9C3-0C97-4446-9722-5C98919790D1.jpeg

Noillek said:
Seems that is a newer version, has a vehicle number and besides blinkers has everything to become road legal, even a document stating that has speed limit 20km/h I guess that is for registration purposes.

Is the document a Certificate of Origin, or was one included?

Uran93 said:
Another issue -
Sur-Ron is a great bike, but I have an issue with lower motor guard - it is made from very thin aluminum and bent already.
It is too soft almost like a peace of paper or cardboard.
Could you suggest who and where can manufacture stainless steel type of this part?Снимок экрана 2018-06-16 в 13.51.44.png

It's probably too thin to cast otherwise I could cast one for you.

I think your best bet is to design a file and have it laser-cut for you. It would take a rather trivial amount of machine time so it should be pretty reasonable cost. Then all you have to do is bend and weld it or find someone who can.

Noillek said:
3DTOPO said:
Noillek said:

Thanks I will give a try... if anyone knows a easy way to remove the lights without cutting wires that would also be great.

You will need to take off the plate with the ignition switch in order to access the plugs for the brake cut-off and headlight. On mine it was neccesary to remove the battery cover by pulling the c-clips with needle nose pliers that secure the pins it rotated on, then remove the pins and the cover. After that it’s the two allen head bolts that secure the ignition cover. The brake cut-off switches and headlight all terminate in the same black housing.

Back