Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

My buddy made himself and me a replacement guard out of thicker aluminum. Very nice and fits like a glove.

Back to the clutch topic, the new high end gasgas txt-e comes with a clutch and 6speed tranny. 13k though. Regardless, I think a clutch is a must for higher level competitive trials at least. Enduro, probably the same but I don’t really know/care.

Uran93 said:
3DTOPO said:
Uran93 said:
Another issue -
Sur-Ron is a great bike, but I have an issue with lower motor guard - it is made from very thin aluminum and bent already.
It is too soft almost like a peace of paper or cardboard.
Could you suggest who and where can manufacture stainless steel type of this part?Снимок экрана 2018-06-16 в 13.51.44.png

It's probably too thin to cast otherwise I could cast one for you.

I think your best bet is to design a file and have it laser-cut for you. It would take a rather trivial amount of machine time so it should be pretty reasonable cost. Then all you have to do is bend and weld it or find someone who can.

Dear 3D TOPO, thank you for your response. I don’t think thickness is an issue. It would be great to make it much thicker and stronger than it’s now.
There are some/enough room around the motor and for attachment points it can be aligned/bended accordingly even if it’s thicker.
What do you think ?

Even if you had it the same thickness of the aluminum plate, stainless would be much much tougher.

To cast it, it would need to be a minimum of 7-8mm thick, which could weigh in close to 10-pounds (I'm guessing that figure which would be like 10% the weight of the whole bike). Cast metal isn't nearly as strong as plate too and more likely to fracture.

I think the most cost-effective and best quality part would be cut from a sheet of stainless. For me to 3-d print the pattern on my stereo-lithography printer, make an investment mold and cast it would be far more expensive than just having a sheet cut. I had suggested laser-cut but I meant water-jet cut. Around here, I can get steel water-jet cut for about $60-$100/hour of machine time. It would probably take 15 minutes to cut.

Pretty hard to find any ride reports for this bike in an off-road setting where it’s really getting thrashed pretty hard. Watching the Luna guys trying to pop wheelies in their parking lot, you can tell the bike has quite a bit of power but I have no idea what it would be like to ride on serious technical singletrack. Looks like it could break/fall apart without much abuse but who knows. Videos I’ve seen are by people with very little riding skill or experience.

Anyone have a link to a real beat-down trail test, or maybe that’s not what this bike is for...?

81forest said:
Pretty hard to find any ride reports for this bike in an off-road setting where it’s really getting thrashed pretty hard. Watching the Luna guys trying to pop wheelies in their parking lot, you can tell the bike has quite a bit of power but I have no idea what it would be like to ride on serious technical singletrack. Looks like it could break/fall apart without much abuse but who knows. Videos I’ve seen are by people with very little riding skill or experience.

Anyone have a link to a real beat-down trail test, or maybe that’s not what this bike is for...?

Aebikes.com.au has links to the YouTube channel aebikes showing unedited trail riding
No commentary no music just actual footage so you can make your own judgment

81forest said:

I've got nearly 400 miles of pretty hard tearing up the mountain here in the last 5 weeks, and its proven bomber with 100% reliability. The thing is a beast IMHO. Climbs anything I point at it.

Note that the Luna video you may be referring to might be the one that is modified to run at 32KW. That said, it can pull wheelies in a stock config, especially if you put a bigger rear sprocket on.

Not sure if my video is what you are looking for (this was one of my first rides and I was tethered to my Siberian Husky, but still hit it pretty hard):
[youtube]OZpzdsGDtJI[/youtube]

81forest said:
liveforphysics said:
People talk lots about how critical it is to have a clutch, right up to the moment you give them an ebike to ride with adequate torque and HP, then they never mention anything clutch related again.

It’s not critical, and the rekluse is totally awesome, but there is technical stuff where a clutch still shines. There’s a reason that most pros do not use a rekluse. Trying to do a one-wheel pivot turn using just your throttle is not impossible, but it’s reallllly difficult because you can’t modulate the engagement like you can with your clutch.

But, a perfectly set up controller on an ebike might be just as good.

The latest e-motion videos show their electric trials bike doing exactly that?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWFAEq9z5tI

81forest said:

This do you? Their other videos show the light Bee being back flipped into a foam pit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W702aLhYNSM

3DTOPO said:
81forest said:

I've got nearly 400 miles of pretty hard tearing up the mountain here in the last 5 weeks, and its proven bomber with 100% reliability. The thing is a beast IMHO. Climbs anything I point at it.

Note that the Luna video you may be referring to might be the one that is modified to run at 32KW. That said, it can pull wheelies in a stock config, especially if you put a bigger rear sprocket on.

Not sure if my video is what you are looking for (this was one of my first rides and I was tethered to my Siberian Husky, but still hit it pretty hard):
[youtube]OZpzdsGDtJI[/youtube]

Awesome!!

81forest said:
Awesome!!

Thanks! I really need to finish my wheel cam mount get the drone up so you can see what it is doing better. :wink:

The only maintenance that I have done to the bike is tighten the chain twice, lubed it once and tightened the headset twice (though I need to do it again). Other than that, she looks no worse for the wear.

Marksteamnz said:
81forest said:

This do you? Their other videos show the light Bee being back flipped into a foam pit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W702aLhYNSM

Thanks for the link, I enjoyed that. And the em-otion link is awesome. Wonder if the rider ever wishes he had a clutch...

81forest said:

I haven’t had a chance to ride it anywhere but on my micro-track around my property. That being said, I can ride it at around the same pace as my gas bike (yz250). I doubt it will be able to make it up the climbs we usually do, and it will probably fall back pretty quick in the open stuff. While it may replace the ttr225 I ride around the house, it definitely won’t replace the yz. To me it’s more of a play bike than anything else with the added benefit that can expand my local riding opportunities because it’s stealthy.

3DTOPO said:
Uran93 said:
Another issue -
Sur-Ron is a great bike, but I have an issue with lower motor guard - it is made from very thin aluminum and bent already.
It is too soft almost like a peace of paper or cardboard.
Could you suggest who and where can manufacture stainless steel type of this part?Снимок экрана 2018-06-16 в 13.51.44.png

I think the most cost-effective and best quality part would be cut from a sheet of stainless. For me to 3-d print the pattern on my stereo-lithography printer, make an investment mold and cast it would be far more expensive than just having a sheet cut. I had suggested laser-cut but I meant water-jet cut. Around here, I can get steel water-jet cut for about $60-$100/hour of machine time. It would probably take 15 minutes to cut.

Just take a paper pattern from the existing plate....trace it onto a sheet of hard alloy or stainless (your choice of material and thickness )....then cut it out with a jig saw or hand angle grinder using a cut off wheel.
Bend to suit and Drill mounting holes .
Done in your yard in 30 mins !
But, warning, the difficult part will be bending to the exact shape !
Warning 2.. If you make it too strong, you risk breaking the mounting points on the frame with a big hit.

Hillhater said:
Just take a paper pattern from the existing plate....trace it onto a sheet of hard alloy or stainless (your choice of material and thickness )....then cut it out with a jig saw or hand angle grinder using a cut off wheel.
Bend to suit and Drill mounting holes .
Done in your yard in 30 mins !
But, warning, the difficult part will be bending to the exact shape !
Warning 2.. If you make it too strong, you risk breaking the mounting points on the frame with a big hit.

Sounds like a good plan if he chooses to go with thicker aluminum. Stainless can be very difficult to work with - some of the hardest stuff I have had to machine (of course not as hard as titanium but its up there). Compared to mild steel its quite hard and brittle. In fact, it could break when bending if not heated to at least a dull cherry red first.

Good point about making it too strong too.

3DTOPO said:
81forest said:
Awesome!!

Thanks! I really need to finish my wheel cam mount get the drone up so you can see what it is doing better. :wink:

The only maintenance that I have done to the bike is tighten the chain twice, lubed it once and tightened the headset twice (though I need to do it again). Other than that, she looks no worse for the wear.

Did you remove the forks and inspect the headset prior to retentioning?
We have found that the lower bearing carriers crack and continue to wear the lower outer bearing race which is alloy.

The headset is a cheap open ball bearing with minimal grease.

The headset is definitely a weak spot but easily upgraded with a quality sealed bearing kit and alloy top sleeve instead of plastic.

I posted pics a while back along with the worn secondary gear and belt after hitting a gritty track.

Aebrennan said:
3DTOPO said:

Did you remove the forks and inspect the headset prior to retentioning?
We have found that the lower bearing carriers crack and continue to wear the lower outer bearing race which is alloy.

The headset is a cheap open ball bearing with minimal grease.

The headset is definitely a weak spot but easily upgraded with a quality sealed bearing kit and alloy top sleeve instead of plastic.

I posted pics a while back along with the worn secondary gear and belt after hitting a gritty track.

I did not remove the fork, thanks for the tip!

May I ask what the specs or a recommended product is for replacement bearings/sleeve?

Aebrennan said:
You should be able to use any Integral headset with a 44/55 bearing set.
Top inside diameter is 44mm
Lower inside diameter is 55mm

We have used FSA and Hope brands so far.

Thanks! I assume the bottom bearing also 44/55? Its not tapered either, right?

Edit: I see you gave the diameters for both the top and bottom - should have read it better first, thanks!

3DTOPO said:
Aebrennan said:

The headset kit is called a 44/55

The top bearing cup is 44mm and needs to suit the 1 1/8 steerer

The bottom bearing cup is 55mm and also needs to suit the standard 1 1/8 steerer

The headset is designed for tapered headtubes but using straight 1 1/8 steerer.

I will have to post some pictures

Aebrennan said:
3DTOPO said:
Aebrennan said:

The headset kit is called a 44/55

The top bearing cup is 44mm and needs to suit the 1 1/8 steerer

The bottom bearing cup is 55mm and also needs to suit the standard 1 1/8 steerer

The headset is designed for tapered headtubes but using straight 1 1/8 steerer.

I will have to post some pictures

Sorry, should have read your post better before asking. So it looks like one of these would do?

headset.png

Thank you!

Yes those are the main 2 parts from Hope
Top part number Hsc2 and bottom part number HscG
You will also need a reducer for the lower from 1.5 to 1 1/8
Name “Tapered 1.5” reducer (crown)
Part number HS136S

Lots off new images on the SURRON WeChat page.
Few foto's of the 'upgraded' bleu edition.
Looks road legal ?(rear fender, brake light, blinkers), adjustable forks an image with 5300watt, differend brake lever and new caliper design
Annyone here can read chinees?

+1 to post pics!
I've only seen this pic on their facebook page of the blue X model. Looks like a bigger sprocket and different graphics on the battery and controller but otherwise largely unchanged.

surron-x.jpg

Allex said:
Link to that page please?

Lets try This is the page with all the dealers in china http://www.sur-ron.com/page196

Foto from above: http://www.sur-ron.com/page145
Where to buy: https://item.jd.com/28766053613.html

They are kind of private messages that you get in WeChat when you subscripe to an official account.
These are most of them.(some have movies)
https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/h2mEA8rkkaFQuac-gRhY0Q
https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/8wjN0sjBP3ywsYD74oPe0g
https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/tehBf3k8GiheRx_EZihA1g
https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/-_MnaSZiY6RU56YcVXFrCg
https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/gK1yDiexoX3R2ieWyQXCXA

WrongWayJefe said:
81forest said:

I haven’t had a chance to ride it anywhere but on my micro-track around my property. That being said, I can ride it at around the same pace as my gas bike (yz250). I doubt it will be able to make it up the climbs we usually do, and it will probably fall back pretty quick in the open stuff. While it may replace the ttr225 I ride around the house, it definitely won’t replace the yz. To me it’s more of a play bike than anything else with the added benefit that can expand my local riding opportunities because it’s stealthy.

Great review, about what I expected, and good to hear about the comparo to your yz. I also ride a 250cc 2smoke woods bike so probably would have a similar perspective. Much appreciated!

Back