Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Dext3r said:
Allex said:
Link to that page please?

Lets try This is the page with all the dealers in china http://www.sur-ron.com/page196

Foto from above: http://www.sur-ron.com/page145
Where to buy: https://item.jd.com/28766053613.html

They are kind of private messages that you get in WeChat when you subscripe to an official account.
These are most of them.(some have movies)
https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/h2mEA8rkkaFQuac-gRhY0Q
https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/8wjN0sjBP3ywsYD74oPe0g
https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/tehBf3k8GiheRx_EZihA1g
https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/-_MnaSZiY6RU56YcVXFrCg
https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/gK1yDiexoX3R2ieWyQXCXA

Can someone try to contact one of the dealers to see if the X has a VIN?

The factory has advised that the version/model X is basically a new version of the Light Bee built for Chinese domestic market.
Its main feature is the sine wave controller and a new colour and a few other differences to justify the price increase.
And they have advised me that they are out of stock of the sine wave controllers at the moment too so will have to wait more than 4 weeks for the new controllers.

Aebrennan said:
Its main feature is the sine wave controller and a new colour and a few other differences to justify the price increase.

The new much more quiet controller, combined with a larger rear sprocket to give it 20% more torque, alone more than justifies the increased US$168 cost over the base model in my book.

Then adds a claimed 20% more range (on top of 20% more torque!), regenerative breaking, upgraded shocks, chain, breaks and seat for an even more incredible value over the base model. Really the only things that aren't changed is the frame (which doesn't need improvements IMHO) and the tires).

Thats a lot for only 4.8% higher cost. I want one!

Aebrennan said:
The factory has advised that the version/model X is basically a new version of the Light Bee built for Chinese domestic market.
And they have advised me that they are out of stock of the sine wave controllers at the moment too so will have to wait more than 4 weeks for the new controllers.

Can you ask if the current version or the model X can be ordered with a VIN? That would be great.

n2mb said:
Aebrennan said:

Can you ask if the current version or the model X can be ordered with a VIN? That would be great.

The L1e (EU homologated) bikes only have a VIN, and the version X is for China only. (domestic market)

This is in line with Luna saying that there is no special model, as they are exclusive to USA you guys will only get what Luna offers.

Other dealers may have access though...

Aebrennan said:
The L1e (EU homologated) bikes only have a VIN, and the version X is for China only. (domestic market)

I imagine that they will serve the local market first since that probably has less logistics. And I would venture to guess that once they have satisfied the local demand they will want to sell them anywhere they can.

This is in line with Luna saying that there is no special model, as they are exclusive to USA you guys will only get what Luna offers.

Well they are claiming that the model doesn't even exist and will never exist; not that they are unable to offer it.

New on the forum, wanted to say hi and share a pic from yesterday. Having so much fun with this bike! 😃 Thanks for all good reading and info here!

A00588A4-4542-4EBA-AD12-3EBB85F52C24.jpeg

Has anyone had luck importing one to the EU door to door straight from the factory?

BDF4D861-ED6F-4D96-A338-CD50C30895EA.jpegI’ve had my bike for about a week now and Love it. Kids too. Forum has been a good research tool. I’m new too adjustable suspension set up ,coming from a basic mountain bike. I’m 190lbs and would prefer a softer comfortable setting. I would like too know some of your guys settings. Especially the rear ace shock with its 3 different settings. Front I have 7 clicks from full soft. Rear I have not touched the spring adjuster because I have no tool. Is it even worth adjusting? Compression is one click from full negative (-) and rebound is one click from full soft (s).

I blew my rear shock a few days ago. Leaked all the fluid out the bottom.

So far weak points on the bike:

Light (it’s ok but you can do much better for $7 on eBay)
Brakes (they suck, levers, pads, etc...Buy some Maguras from starbike)
Suspension (sucks compared to what’s available used from pinkbike or eBay. Usable but basely)
Headset (no problems here but I replaced the star fangled with a bolt to make it through mount)
Footpeg mount (broke 1)
Footpeg mount “mount” (broke 2, welded back but I’d like I mill out a piece of alum for longer term solution).
Seat foam (doesn’t last but who sits anyhow, not Toni)

I’ve also snapped a bolt in the linkage and wonder how strong that is overall. The bearings in the jack shaft probably aren’t the best quality as in the wheels but we will see.

Anyhow, I absolutely love this bike. No complaints at all considering the price and how useable it is even with all the above. I’d buy another one in a second.

The engine cover on the Sur Ron is quite weak as many have noticed.

I have a company in China since 10 years ago, i let my metal factory make a 100% copy of the engine protector.

Im thinking of making a steel version and a thicker aluminium version.

What thickness do you guys is the best for the aluminium one?

Attachments

• WechatIMG6.jpeg
    WechatIMG6.jpeg
    50.5 KB · Views: 2,655
  • WechatIMG7.jpeg
    WechatIMG7.jpeg
    40.5 KB · Views: 2,655
  • WechatIMG8.jpeg
    WechatIMG8.jpeg
    57.6 KB · Views: 2,655
  • WechatIMG9.jpeg
    WechatIMG9.jpeg
    31.6 KB · Views: 2,655
ive made a couple skid plates from a 12"x12" aluminum plate i got on amazon... it's thickness was .25 which is i think about 5-6mm. Only problem going that thick was it starts encroaching on the wires that go into the motor, which is why i wanted to replace the original sur-ron one. i didn't want one hit on that wire side to end my day.... Anyways, at that thickness it does fit and the plate i made is SOLID... (I did grind a little down on that wire side mounting tab to make it a little thinner). I'm definitely not worried about smashing those wires any more... whether it's steel or thicker aluminum, seems anything is better than stock.

Congrats to those who just got theirs... Such a fun bike... even with its couple flaws...

I've got hyde racing engine guards/skid plates on my gas bikes and prefer them over aluminum. They are more durable and also to a better job of absorbing and distributing impact forces. Hopefully someone will make something similar for the sur-ron.

I got home from travelling to some goodies waiting at my door. A 58 tooth sprocket from Kim (a near work of art!) and an stiff (black) spring for a rockshox boxxer. It was about the same diameter as the stock spring (28.5mm), but quite a few inches longer. I remove the stock spacer from the fork cap and cut a small piece of pvc to fit instead.

The spring seems to be better for my weight (180lbs). The fork rides higher in the stroke and is more plush. Still fiddling with the adjusters to get a setting I like. I added about an inch of preload to the shock. Didn't need to use a tool, just put the bike on the stand and grabbed the spring and collar with my hand and was able to turn it without too much effort. The bike now feels nicely balanced front to back.

The sprocket is great. It adds the low end punch I was looking for and top speed is still adequate for my needs. It also makes wheelies more controllable with the throttle.

I also cut up an old supermoto front fender and got it to fit below the fork brace. It still needs some trimming, but it doing a good job of keeping debris from flying up and hitting the rider. Still need to do something about the rear-fender, it's so short it's useless! I also took of the plastic tag attached to the light, drilled some holes in it and zip-tied it to the linkage to protect the shock.

I've also got some new tires coming, Pirelli scorpion mid softs. Stock front size, but I went a little bigger on the read (100/90-19) and some HD tubes. Hope they fit!

5SnoKOr.jpg

Could you take another pic of the bike, straight ahead with the steering wheel strait? Those hand guards looks like they are made for giants, probably camera angle that causes that.

macribs said:
Could you take another pic of the bike, straight ahead with the steering wheel strait? Those hand guards looks like they are made for giants, probably camera angle that causes that.

I agree, they are for a full sized bike and look a little large. However, i'm willing to sacrifice some looks for not wrecking when the levers hit trees and finger protection.

xcVdeAR.jpg

macribs said:

Looks like enduro engineering hand-guards.

Nice bike, I also love riding with bark busters. They have maybe saved my life and at least many dozens of crashes prevented when riding forest.

liveforphysics said:
Nice bike, I also love riding with bark busters. They have maybe saved my life and at least many dozens of crashes prevented when riding forest.

Good advice! I think I'll pick some up. Yesterday evening's ride I hit my hand on a small log sticking out in the trail (for the first time) which made me think of getting some, but you have re-enforced that idea, thanks! :wink:

JuiceMeUp said:
Keep the structural aluminium part of the guards - Loose the plastic - IMO

If you ride in briars the plastic is pretty nice, but i agree for trees just the bar matters.

JuiceMeUp said:
Keep the structural aluminium part of the guards - Loose the plastic - IMO

If bike is ridden in cold weather I would keep em stock. Or possible resize the plastic to a more "pleasing to the eye" proportion.

All the parts matter......ask me how I know? It will and has saved many sections of human bark from being removed from the hands from trees, rocks (both flying and stationary!), asphalt, concrete and weeds.

Worth their weight in gold I tell you! When combined with a good chest protector with shoulder pads, gloves and MX boots I feel pretty indestructible!

Tom

Anyone have any proven methods to reduce noise? I'm surprised how loud this bike is. I have some Motul chain lube, but haven't applied it yet.

Back