Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

scrambler said:
My understanding was that the noise is in the motor, not the chain.
If so, only a different or better tuned controller could improve that (and or a different motor)

Other than the chain, that really will make some noise no matter what (unless replaced with a timing belt), and some bearings rolling (fairly quiet), I am under the impression that most all the rest of the noise is coming from the controller. Sine Wave controller makes it practically silent in comparison:

[youtube]jkRZ9pHVrRM[/youtube]

That said, I think everything is still insanely quiet compared to a dirt bike. Almost too quiet, I'm always coming right up on some deer and elk, etc. Though, still looking quite forward to an upgraded controller. :wink:

I was able to reduce the noise on mine by reducing the belt tension by 1 position on the adjuster.....significant reduction of the whining sound present even off throttle.
Aside from that, I added a rubber flap to reduce mud on the rear shock(attached at plate/light - works great), hacked on a longer rear fender(stock length is useless), raised the bars, and installed motomoto's 58t sprocket(was gonna make one, but glad I bought it....i wouldn't have bothered making it so nice).
Been contemplating installing my backup Super Monster forks for my electricmoto blade, but kinda want to extend the rear swingarm at the same time(motomoto?).
All in all, I like the bike, but it is just good enough to make me want more. More power. More speed. More suspension. More brakes.......but then it becomes something that it isn't. It's great for what it is, and easily fits in the back of my car if I remove the front wheel, which makes it easy to get my fix. Higher volts and amps are high on my wish list. :)

Enginepy said:
Anyone have any proven methods to reduce noise? I'm surprised how loud this bike is. I have some Motul chain lube, but haven't applied it yet.

I put on some motorcycle chain lube and it did make difference on the noise from the chain. But obviously it will not do anything about that whinging noice from the motor.

rcmonstermike said:
I was able to reduce the noise on mine by reducing the belt tension by 1 position on the adjuster.....significant reduction of the whining sound present even off throttle.............

Is that an easy operation to do? Where is the adjuster for the belt tension? (Sorry, away from my bike for this week)

Here goes my honest feedback for this little devil machine...

My background, offroad enthusiast and avid motorbike rider, basic experience in Trials, Motocross, Rally and SuperMoto.

Build quality is really good, ergonomics is all wrong for my liking, suspension on the cheap side, engine amazing but underpowered, eco mode is useless and sport mode could feel better controlled if you remove the initial power spike and just make a smooth power delivery, rear tire should be wider for proper off-road riding...

Despite the above listed, gives me a smile every time I ride it, electric power feels like a sheep skin on a wolf, torque is insane, on a 50• gradient I can stop half way and start again without any momentum... insane. I’m super excited with the fact that this bike is a great climber, with no effort from the driver.

I also think that has a great potencial as a flat track bike, slides well and is easy to control, limited only by the small rear tire.

E1C44CA4-6482-46CA-BA00-C3CD2F4820F7.jpeg

Great fun, and full of potential, looking forward to improve a very good base bike. Want to race it against a KTM Freeride to see how it compares.

Noillek said:

My background, offroad enthusiast and avid motorbike rider, basic experience in Trials, Motocross, Rally and SuperMoto.

Build quality is really good, ergonomics is all wrong for my liking, suspension on the cheap side, engine amazing but underpowered, eco mode is useless and sport mode could feel better controlled if you remove the initial power spike and just make a smooth power delivery, rear tire should be wider for proper off-road riding...

Despite the above listed, gives me a smile every time I ride it, electric power feels like a sheep skin on a wolf, torque is insane, on a 50• gradient I can stop half way and start again without any momentum... insane. I’m super excited with the fact that this bike is a great climber, with no effort from the driver.

I also think that has a great potencial as a flat track bike, slides well and is easy to control, limited only by the small rear tire.

Great fun, and full of potential, looking forward to improve a very good base bike. Want to race it against a KTM Freeride to see how it compares.

Yah, if compared to gassers, the Sur-Ron is meager, but if you compare the Sur-Ron to other ebikes in this price range, it smokes about everything else out there.

WrongWayJefe said:
I've got hyde racing engine guards/skid plates on my gas bikes and prefer them over aluminum. They are more durable and also to a better job of absorbing and distributing impact forces. Hopefully someone will make something similar for the sur-ron.

I got home from travelling to some goodies waiting at my door. A 58 tooth sprocket from Kim (a near work of art!) and an stiff (black) spring for a rockshox boxxer. It was about the same diameter as the stock spring (28.5mm), but quite a few inches longer. I remove the stock spacer from the fork cap and cut a small piece of pvc to fit instead.

The spring seems to be better for my weight (180lbs). The fork rides higher in the stroke and is more plush. Still fiddling with the adjusters to get a setting I like. I added about an inch of preload to the shock. Didn't need to use a tool, just put the bike on the stand and grabbed the spring and collar with my hand and was able to turn it without too much effort. The bike now feels nicely balanced front to back.

The sprocket is great. It adds the low end punch I was looking for and top speed is still adequate for my needs. It also makes wheelies more controllable with the throttle.

I also cut up an old supermoto front fender and got it to fit below the fork brace. It still needs some trimming, but it doing a good job of keeping debris from flying up and hitting the rider. Still need to do something about the rear-fender, it's so short it's useless! I also took of the plastic tag attached to the light, drilled some holes in it and zip-tied it to the linkage to protect the shock.

I've also got some new tires coming, Pirelli scorpion mid softs. Stock front size, but I went a little bigger on the read (100/90-19) and some HD tubes. Hope they fit!

5SnoKOr.jpg

Thanks for the review and thoughts. Please let us know about the tires and how they fit when you get them.

Noillek said:

Just curious where you took the picture. Reminds me of places I used to ride around the Colorado river.

fechter said:
Noillek said:

Just curious where you took the picture. Reminds me of places I used to ride around the Colorado river.

On the shore of the river Waal in the Netherlands.

Dropped Pin
near Dreumel
https://goo.gl/maps/peg8LGgq9V82

Nice to ride and one of the few places that I can ride without problems... in this country offroad is ilegal unless officially organized as event or in a club or private space.

It's only meger performance stock.

Capable of becoming as much beast as your hotroding skills can muster.

SCM said:
Enginepy said:
rcmonstermike said:
I was able to reduce the noise on mine by reducing the belt tension by 1 position on the adjuster.....significant reduction of the whining sound present even off throttle.............

Is that an easy operation to do? Where is the adjuster for the belt tension? (Sorry, away from my bike for this week)

Easy to adjust - remove the skid and you will see the motor bolts and adjuster. Loosen the motor bolts and make the adjustment...i just backed it off 1 position.

Enginepy said:
WrongWayJefe said:
I've got hyde racing engine guards/skid plates on my gas bikes and prefer them over aluminum. They are more durable and also to a better job of absorbing and distributing impact forces. Hopefully someone will make something similar for the sur-ron.

I got home from travelling to some goodies waiting at my door. A 58 tooth sprocket from Kim (a near work of art!) and an stiff (black) spring for a rockshox boxxer. It was about the same diameter as the stock spring (28.5mm), but quite a few inches longer. I remove the stock spacer from the fork cap and cut a small piece of pvc to fit instead.

The spring seems to be better for my weight (180lbs). The fork rides higher in the stroke and is more plush. Still fiddling with the adjusters to get a setting I like. I added about an inch of preload to the shock. Didn't need to use a tool, just put the bike on the stand and grabbed the spring and collar with my hand and was able to turn it without too much effort. The bike now feels nicely balanced front to back.

The sprocket is great. It adds the low end punch I was looking for and top speed is still adequate for my needs. It also makes wheelies more controllable with the throttle.

I also cut up an old supermoto front fender and got it to fit below the fork brace. It still needs some trimming, but it doing a good job of keeping debris from flying up and hitting the rider. Still need to do something about the rear-fender, it's so short it's useless! I also took of the plastic tag attached to the light, drilled some holes in it and zip-tied it to the linkage to protect the shock.

I've also got some new tires coming, Pirelli scorpion mid softs. Stock front size, but I went a little bigger on the read (100/90-19) and some HD tubes. Hope they fit!

5SnoKOr.jpg

Thanks for the review and thoughts. Please let us know about the tires and how they fit when you get them.

Tires came today. The rear went on the rim with the bigger tube with no issues but it’s too wide and runs the chain. It’s also significantly taller so it’s very close to the swing arm as well.

That being said, I think it can be made to work by spacing the sprocket out towards the swingarm and getting a longer chain. The other issue will be that the taller tire is probably going to negate the gearing advantage that the 58 tooth gave, but i’ll deal with that after I get it fitted.

I didn’t take any pictures, but I will say it looked pretty bad ass with the bigger tire and it should offer gobs more traction and a better ride also with the taller side wall.

Ran out of time to fit the front, but it looks comparable in size to the stock tire, so I don’t suspect there will be any issues there.

Had a great ride testing out the 52T rear sprocket from Motomoto last weekend. I believe this is the best budget performance upgrade.
More torque whilst retaining decent top speed, much more managable offroad than the 58T.

https://youtu.be/GW72nxX48Jw

Noillek said:

E1C44CA4-6482-46CA-BA00-C3CD2F4820F7.jpeg

Great review. I bet I would feel the same about ergos; it looks like a pit bike. If it could hang with a freeride, that would be super impressive.

Saw this video this morning:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLR2b5Ed3dw&t=351s

How many people are riding their Sur Ron on the road in the US? Are you not getting pulled over?

Aebrennan said:
Had a great ride testing out the 52T rear sprocket from Motomoto last weekend. I believe this is the best budget performance upgrade.
More torque whilst retaining decent top speed, much more managable offroad than the 58T.

https://youtu.be/GW72nxX48Jw

Having ran the stock 48T, the 58T, and then Kim's 52T, I agree the 52T is the best all around performance, Acceleration is closer to the 58T than the 48T, I think its because of gearing and inductance load that allows the motor draws more amps longer is the explanation for why this is the case. I am keeping my 52 on.

[youtube]GW72nxX48Jw[/youtube]

The 52T is perfect for my riding and terrain, the torque is much more manageable than the 58T and the top speed seemed closer to the 48T I thought just judging by feel.
On this trail I wouldn’t have much use for more top speed anyways.
I am looking forward to testing the sine wave controller in the next few weeks I can do a video of the same loop and gauge the difference.

Geez you have some nasty "roads" down there. I thought the stuff I ride was bad, but that was scary just watching the video.

Looks like the SurRon handles it pretty well though.

Aebrennan said:
I am looking forward to testing the sine wave controller in the next few weeks I can do a video of the same loop and gauge the difference.
..where is that loop Aebrennan ? ...out west up the hill or north in Kuringai ?
my local is the Manly dam loop..9km but almost trials riding in places !

fechter said:
Geez you have some nasty "roads" down there. I thought the stuff I ride was bad, but that was scary just watching the video.

Looks like the SurRon handles it pretty well though.

Yes we have some nasty roads down here, they have taken out a few of my previous e-bikes, but are no match for the Light Bee.
I have been pounding these trails for over 6 months now and loving it.
Hillhater said:
Aebrennan said:
..where is that loop Aebrennan ? ...out west up the hill or north in Kuringai ?
my local is the Manly dam loop..9km but almost trials riding in places !

All my videos are from trails around Menai, South west Sydney. The last video was shot after the bushfires had devastated the area, but opened it up to see more trails!
I don’t know how welcoming the locals at Manly would be if a Light Bee showed up?

rcmonstermike said:
SCM said:
Enginepy said:
rcmonstermike said:

Easy to adjust - remove the skid and you will see the motor bolts and adjuster. Loosen the motor bolts and make the adjustment...i just backed it off 1 position.

Hmmm, tried this and had to tighten the chain afterwards. The result was much more noice from the chain around the front sprocket when rolling with no throttle. What did I do wrong? Could I've put the system offset somehow, angle front sprocket vs chain? Anyone with similar experience or ideas?

What about this bike in comparison-

http://www.bikerscafe.com/blog/2014/09/30/sev-etricks-evolution-r01/

Here is also another video between Light Bee and the Bultaco Brinco

https://youtu.be/t4ND1ysR4N4

There's a few alternatives but are all a bit too expensive, compared with the Sur-Ron Light Bee

p.s. - how do I embed a video from youtube in a post? sorry for the off topic question.

Noillek said:
Here is also another video between Light Bee and the Bultaco Brinco

https://youtu.be/t4ND1ysR4N4

There's a few alternatives but are all a bit too expensive, compared with the Sur-Ron Light Bee

p.s. - how do I embed a video from youtube in a post? sorry for the off topic question.

Look at the you posted. Swap [URL] for [YOUTUB...ded"][youtube]t4ND1ysR4N4[/youtube][/spoiler]

Back