KT motor controllers -- Flexible OpenSource firmware for BMSBattery S/Kunteng KT motor controllers (0.25kW up to 5kW)

stancecoke said:
So we should clean up the github repository and focus on one tutorial.
My suggestion:
1. Delete all branches except the master and the feature/offroad 5 Step
2. Set all tutorial links (in our signatures and in the first post of this thread) to the windows instructions. I can add a link to the detailed developer area there.
3. Update the first post of this thread with a sceenshot of the recent release of the OSEC tool.
1. So, I put a note on github repo saying it is not being updated anymore and out a link to your repo.
2. I changed my signature, put the link to your instructions.
3. I think I am the only one able to update the first post. Please send me the screeshot and text and I will update.

OK, sad that we split the activities, but of course I can understand that you want to concentrate on the middrive project.
I'll need some time to update the tutorial. Here is the link to the recent screenshot of the java tool. The user settings are stored in the file settings.ini now, so you don't have to edit all you individual settings each time you start the tool.
I think we can keep the text in the first post, it's still correct.

@honya96: which fork/branch did you try?

regards
stancecoke

I am trying Casainho's version but I think your didnt work also.. will try and let you know.

Do you recommend to use your fork now?
I dont like that It hasnt phase current, Soft cutoff, etc.. implemented. But I like linear brake. :wink: if I ever get it working.

honya96 said:

As casainho will give no further support on his code, we can take it only just like it is. I don't understand everything of his algorithms and would have to deep dive into it to "repair" or improve something. So I will stay at my fork and I can support new users, to get started with it. I know, there are less safety features implemented but it works well for me.

Perhaps someone else will be willing and able to continue to maintain Casainho's code

regards
stancecoke

stancecoke said:
honya96 said:

As casainho will give no further support on his code, we can take it only just like it is. I don't understand everything of his algorithms and would have to deep dive into it to "repair" or improve something. So I will stay at my fork and I can support new users, to get started with it. I know, there are less safety features implemented but it works well for me.

Perhaps someone else will be willing and able to continue to maintain Casainho's code
I would be happy to explain every part of my code for other developers that want to continue developing with that code base. Even because I am using that same base for TSDZ2, most part of the code should be similar, less the FOC calculation part.

But with TSDZ2 I will be even developing KT LCD3 firmware, so specific features like battery watts hour can be measured.

Just a quick question which might have been answered before but I don't have the time to go through this huge thread at this moment.
I'm planning to buy this s012s https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-kit/72...imulation-sine-wave-controller-ebike-kit.html, program it for my liking but not use any display whatsoever. That means also that I don't have the on/off switch either so I have to make one.

What type of manual switch should I buy to switch the controller off/on to reset the "cheat mode"?
Is the switch best to put between the LCDs RED wire and BLUE wire and should the switch be high amperage type or can it be something smaller and stealth like?

Valopallo said:
Just a quick question which might have been answered before but I don't have the time to go through this huge thread at this moment.
I'm planning to buy this s012s https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-kit/72...imulation-sine-wave-controller-ebike-kit.html, program it for my liking but not use any display whatsoever. That means also that I don't have the on/off switch either so I have to make one.

What type of manual switch should I buy to switch the controller off/on to reset the "cheat mode"?
Is the switch best to put between the LCDs RED wire and BLUE wire and should the switch be high amperage type or can it be something smaller and stealth like?
This kind of question are asked again and again. My suggestion is for Stancecoke start a FAQ wiki page on: https://github.com/stancecoke/BMSBattery_S_controllers_firmware/wiki

This way saves a lot of time for developers/project maintainers as also for users. Github because works very well, every developer has a github account and even everyone can submit changes to the wiki via pull requests and developers can do changes directly, even on web without the need to edit on PC and then push to github.

If the Github wiki is used, I will for sure collaborate on it.

casainho said:
My suggestion is for Stancecoke start a FAQ wiki page on: https://github.com/stancecoke/BMSBattery_S_controllers_firmware/wiki

Good idea, I just started the first page with the most often questions:
https://github.com/stancecoke/BMSBattery_S_controllers_firmware/wiki

@valopallo: you can use something like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/20PCS-TOGGLE-SWITCH-SPST-ON-ON-MINI-TOGGLE-6A-125V-3Pin-MTS-102-EC-2510/162682946414?hash=item25e0a8c36e:g:bDsAAOSwCtJaOHCb

regards
stancecoke

Hi I am new to this forum, and still learning about this project and electric bikes.

I have a KT48 ZWS controller set up with two motors. I see that this controller is not supported by your project. Do you know if there is a KT48 SVP that can support 2 motors? And if so would it take additional coding to get this software running on it?

Steve

Can you post a link to this "two motor controller" or any further information? Are that two controllers, that are sharing one display/PAS/throttle?!

I think in this device, there are just two "normal" controllers in one housing?! There should be a SVP type available also?!

There are two options of simulated sine wave or square wave controller.

regards
stancecoke

I think in this device, there are just two "normal" controllers in one housing?! There should be a SVP type available also?!

Yes, thats the one. I agree that purchasing the sine wave version would be the SVP option. Would that work with your software? It is one one display/PAS/throttle, one controller, two motors.

I guess, this are two normal controllers that share the peripheral devices by parallel connection. One of them will have the Tx line not connected, so only the other one "speaks" to the display, but both "listen" to it...
Perhaps you can take a look inside the housing, to see if I'm right.

In this case, our firmware should work. You can use two "normal" controllers, too, if you do the wiring like described above.

regards
stancecoke

Thanks stancecoke,

I'll see if I can get my hands on the sine wave version of this controller and give it a shot. I have a background in software, but the hardware side is new for me.

Steve

Ey guys, may I ask you something I was wondering myself:

I have a q100h with this controller and a simple PAS. I understand that this works like on/off, with a variable current (depending on your assistance level).

I was thinking how to get higher top speed on my setup. The top speed is limited by the voltage of the battery. The reason why not to go for higher voltage is because then the power would be too high for the motor right? but we could increase the voltage and decrease the current right? Would it be possible to implement in this firmware a limitation on the pas level, not by current like now, but by power(lets say 800w, 500w, 300w, etc). In this way I could simply switch on a second battery module to push up the voltage, right?

I guess any of my assumptions is wrong and this is why there is no variable voltage system like this yet.

lqbweb said:

I have a q100h with this controller and a simple PAS. I understand that this works like on/off, with a variable current (depending on your assistance level).

I was thinking how to get higher top speed on my setup. The top speed is limited by the voltage of the battery. The reason why not to go for higher voltage is because then the power would be too high for the motor right? but we could increase the voltage and decrease the current right? Would it be possible to implement in this firmware a limitation on the pas level, not by current like now, but by power(lets say 800w, 500w, 300w, etc). In this way I could simply switch on a second battery module to push up the voltage, right?

I guess any of my assumptions is wrong and this is why there is no variable voltage system like this yet.
Since I know, control of power is not implemented yet. I did a quick test for TSDZ2 firmware and it seems to work well -- see the video. I want to control power so to limit power usage to optimize the range for long travels.

So, is technically possible but if anyone is available to implement that, that is the big if.

[youtube]F4RdW0Mr2YA[/youtube]

casainho said:
lqbweb said:

Since I know, control of power is not implemented yet. I did a quick test for TSDZ2 firmware and it seems to work well -- see the video. I want to control power so to limit power usage to optimize the range for long travels.

So, is technically possible but if anyone is available to implement that, that is the big if.

[youtube]F4RdW0Mr2YA[/youtube]

So, do you think my assumptions are right? Do you think with this system, I could increase my top speed? Right now it is topping at around 40km/h. But at this point I am only using 400w or so. If at this point I press a switch to connect another battery module to increase the voltage to 72V for instance, I should have another 200W more of reliable power right?

Would there be any problem with the hall sensors? can this controller read so fast the halls?

Of course we could implement a control of power instead of current. That's quite easy.
But if you switch the volatage while riding you will completely confuse the battery indicator bars and the undervoltage protection....

The rpms are limited by the sine-wave generation. We need enough support points to get a clean sinusodial current waveform.

You can calculate the maximum rpm from the P1 value of you motor.

regards
stancecoke

lqbweb said:
So, do you think my assumptions are right? Do you think with this system, I could increase my top speed? Right now it is topping at around 40km/h. But at this point I am only using 400w or so. If at this point I press a switch to connect another battery module to increase the voltage to 72V for instance, I should have another 200W more of reliable power right?

Would there be any problem with the hall sensors? can this controller read so fast the halls?
I don't know. You will have to try and discover and then please share with us.

Finally got the ACS758! Now I can use this to its full extent!

Have a question does regen work on application of brake signal? If not how do I do that?

Also can someone please explain the differences between casainho and stancecokes forks! That would be helpful... Thanks!

DarkDD said:
Have a question does regen work on application of brake signal? If not how do I do that?

Also can someone please explain the differences between casainho and stancecokes forks! That would be helpful... Thanks!

Regen already works with the break lever in both forks
Main differences:
Casainho: Phase current limitation, power reduction at low battery

Stancecoke: linear regen as an option, speed limitation, higher erps as an option.

And several differences in details of the code, that the normal user will not recognize.

regards
stancecoke

usertogo said:
Hello folks, congratulations on this probably busiest tread of the whole forum. I have been hoping and just searched the tread if anybody has started to work on implementing an open source PCB for this open source firmware? I didn't find anything here in this tread or the status here: https://opensourceebikefirmware.bitbucket.io/FLEXIBLE_OPENSOURCE_FIRMWARE.html#h1-3
Has anybody initiated schematic capture for example on KICAD? I also am still confused if this is really STM32 or only 8 bit MCU compatible? Maybe if there is interest we can start a separate forum tread on the development of our own open source PCB? I can do pretty good PCB design work even if I am such a NOOB on MCU programming, that I downloaded the source code from the repository and didn't even find the actual code source file in it! Is it written in C or assembler? Thanks for all your tireless work guys!
Are you interested in developing the OpenSource hardware?

It is STM8, 8 bits. See here: https://opensourceebikefirmware.bitbucket.io/development/

Here my sources: https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/BMSBattery_S_controllers_firmware and it is C code.

lqbweb said:

Your assumptions are totally wrong, forget about all that and just get 48v battery.

Lots of wasted time saved.

If Its still not enough, get bigger and faster motor.

Back