My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

..thanks very much for documenting your battery rebuild! It was mentioned in my recent invoice that the cells were samsung, so it's really great that that you picked up on the higher cutoff voltage to save us destroying our packs.

Please post more pics as you progress,very cool modification! So there are a few blank spots there for some additional cells? :)

edit I have asked frey about the possibility of replacing the 35E's with MJ1's or even NCR18650GA. Will update.

Ivanovitch_k said:
Mantsos said:
Or should I test to change throttle handle mode speed to "current" ?

Yes, change it to Current mode. It's much smoother.

You can also try to lower start and increase end voltages to better match your specific throttle model response. Try 1 by 1 mv until you get something that doesn't work anymore and back off by 1.

Thank you! I will try that. I also already reported from that problem to Ivy what to do but I haven't got any answers yet. There is also video from that my throttle/speed boost problem what I try to solve -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH__06egfZk&feature=youtu.be and how you can see that my bike going first very slow and then suddenly it take some "speed boost" and start going to much faster and give all power out.

Mantsos said:
Ivanovitch_k said:
Mantsos said:
Or should I test to change throttle handle mode speed to "current" ?

Yes, change it to Current mode. It's much smoother.

You can also try to lower start and increase end voltages to better match your specific throttle model response. Try 1 by 1 mv until you get something that doesn't work anymore and back off by 1.

Thank you! I will try that. I also already reported from that problem to Ivy what to do but I haven't got any answers yet. There is also video from that my throttle/speed boost problem what I try to solve -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH__06egfZk&feature=youtu.be and how you can see that my bike going first very slow and then suddenly it take some "speed boost" and start going to much faster and give all power out.

I haven't test anything yet (raining day in here) but I begin to analyzing little bit more and thinking about battery and bad connections inside there, could that be a possible and explain these "speed boosts"? Or how does your bike go with only throttle?

Mantsos said:
thinking about battery and bad connections inside there, could that be a possible and explain these "speed boosts"? Or how does your bike go with only throttle?

From your video it doesn’t look like a connection issue. If it was, it would be happening randomly, and more so at higher speeds because of increased vibrations. You would also see the battery level / voltage fluctuate a lot on the display (with “empty” battery red gauges coming and going).

Changing handling from speed to current should make a large impact. You can also try unlinking the throttle response from a specific PAS level by choosing the designated assist level to one with 100% current and speed. Also set speed limited in PAS tab to max and not to “by display”.

Besides the dedicated torque page, all other settings are shared with BBSxx series. Have a look to this guide and explore this thread too.

For the torque settings look here and here.

Can’t comment about my bike as it is far from ready. It’s a very slow but steady build, but I’m documenting almost everything and will do a dedicated thread when I near completion :) !

I have the same happening in my bike, it occurs at a certain motor speed both with torque sensing and throttle it kicks in some turbo mode. Is this a safety feature to protect the bike from using all its power at low rpm?

Once I get time, I will see if some settings change this behavior.

I haven't noticed this with the torque sensing. I don't use the throttle enough to comment on that. Can post my settings if someone PMs me a link to the software.

Tom L said:
I haven't noticed this with the torque sensing. I don't use the throttle enough to comment on that. Can post my settings if someone PMs me a link to the software.

The article below has a link to it
https://electricbike-blog.com/2017/11/23/i-void-warranties-hacking-the-bafang-ultra-max-mid-drive-ebike-drive/

Hi all,

About battery situation, last year we use battery mainly come with LG cells, but since beginning of this year in February, we get battery with LG cells very difficulty for several months already, the delivery time is un-expected.
That's why recently use battery with Samsung cells more, because of the supplying is more regular and delivery in prompt time. We get battery with LG and Samsung cells in same offer from supplier.

The battery discharge at 34.9V mini, and the motor low voltage cut at 41.5V. so the battery cells performance is OK to match the motor.

Ivanovitch_k said:
Mantsos said:
thinking about battery and bad connections inside there, could that be a possible and explain these "speed boosts"? Or how does your bike go with only throttle?

From your video it doesn’t look like a connection issue. If it was, it would be happening randomly, and more so at higher speeds because of increased vibrations. You would also see the battery level / voltage fluctuate a lot on the display (with “empty” battery red gauges coming and going).

Changing handling from speed to current should make a large impact. You can also try unlinking the throttle response from a specific PAS level by choosing the designated assist level to one with 100% current and speed. Also set speed limited in PAS tab to max and not to “by display”.

Besides the dedicated torque page, all other settings are shared with BBSxx series. Have a look to this guide and explore this thread too.

For the torque settings look here and here.

Can’t comment about my bike as it is far from ready. It’s a very slow but steady build, but I’m documenting almost everything and will do a dedicated thread when I near completion :) !

Thank you guys! I will try to change some settings. Also what I noticed yesterday when I drove about 3km with only throttle battery energy dropped ~50% to 11% what is pretty much I think. Before that I drove about 10km roadtrip and before that roadtrip I was also fully charged that battery. So 90% of battery energy is left after 13km roadtrips... When I had a bike with bbs02 motor and about 800wh battery I drove about 40km with full throttle and that bike was also faster.

Lets see what Ivy answer for me... but something is not definitely okey I think.

I tried little bit different settings show I changed next things from the program:

Basic-page:
Assit0: -> Limit current (%) = 1 and Limit Spd(%) = 1 (these settings was 0)

Throttle Handle
Start Voltage (x100mv): 12 (was 15)
Mode: Speed --> to current
Speed limited to 40km/h (that was "By displays command")

But results are almost same. Now throttle is maybe little bit "smoother" but it still take some "speed boosts" after 20km/h speeds (or when I am driving downhills) so that motor doesn't give still all powers out every time with throttle.

Next thing is maybe try to change "Start current (%): 10" to much higher? But I am little bit worry to change that setting because when I had bbs02 motor and I put this settings higher to like 25% I was almost going to do backflips with my bike. So someday if that my frey bike want to take that speed boost from the start I am going to do so badly these backflips. :roll:

FREYebikes said:
About battery holder issue you mentioned, I think that's because this is really a big and heavy battery, and we think the battery holder design is not strong enough and perfect.
What we are doing try to make it more stable as following:
We found the lock core is not long enough to hold the battery. the original one is in golden, we customize a longer one to use now.
If anyone need some help or support from us, please feel free ask.
Are these new battery locks available aftermarket?

I shook my battery off my bike on my ride to work this morning. Not completely off the bike fortunately. I managed to grab it and shove it back into place rather than letting it fall out.

..in the meantime, could just use 2 velcro straps (the ones with buckles) to hold the battery solidly in place, everyone uses them to hold batteries on our racing quadcopters and they will snap before they loosen.

Has anyone any opinions/experience with the 2018 frame over the previous one? Suspension pivots seem to be quite different?

Tom L said:
It is unwise to raise the start current above 20.

I changed next settings to -->

image.png

And now I got this thumb throttle to work little bit better. So now that bike doesn't take so badly this "speed boosts". I will try to do some change still to get that thumb throttle more better so if someone other have similar "problems" what I have can also try this settings.

Edit: Ivy answer for me: "About the boost, it seems how the motor it is come from Bafang. Can't be adjusted by the software. "

Also what I little bit wondering now is that when I brake using rear brake that rear hub keep some noise like "bang, bang, bang, bang" and what harder I brake that bigger is that noise. I thought first that noise coming that's why because brake pads are new but that noise has not ended.

A question:

I'm waiting for Ivy to answer me, but I've received the two bikes I ordered, but no batteries. Ivy told me before buying that the batteries come separately, but she did not give me a tracking number for the batteries.
Does anyone know how and when my batteries come home?

Best regards

Paikan said:
A question:

I'm waiting for Ivy to answer me, but I've received the two bikes I ordered, but no batteries. Ivy told me before buying that the batteries come separately, but she did not give me a tracking number for the batteries.

Best regards

If you live in usa i think that bike come first by air cargo and this battery come by ship. So it would be take 1-4 weeks longer? I didn't get also that tracking number but they called for me from the cargo company when bike was in my country.

[/quote]

If you live in usa i think that bike come first by air cargo and this battery come by ship. So it would be take 1-4 weeks longer? I didn't get also that tracking number but they called for me from the cargo company when bike was in my country.
[/quote]

I live in Spain. I´ll wait tomorrow some answer from Ivy...but I guess there will be no tracking number for the batteries and that they will come by ship ... It's time to wait :cry:
Regards

Marmalade said:
Please post more pics as you progress,very cool modification! So there are a few blank spots there for some additional cells? :)

No. Amongst the 5 cell holders, only the lower one has 2 empty slots. There are 16 cells per holder. 4 * 16 + 14 = 78 cells.

As per Ivy, the 52V version in the same casing has less cells, only 70.

Tom L said:
Are these new battery locks available aftermarket?

I don't think so. It's the orange locking pin that is replaced.

I believe Frey themselves machined a longer one.

Ivy sent me one with a side order of spare parts. Here is the comparison of the two:

It wouldn't be that hard to DIY a crude one from an alu. rod and a file, but Ivy can probably send them out if you ask.

Paikan said:
I live in Spain. I´ll wait tomorrow some answer from Ivy...but I guess there will be no tracking number for the batteries and that they will come by ship ... It's time to wait :cry:

I live in France and the battery also came in a separate shipment by UPS. The frame came from FedEx. Ivy sent me tracking numbers for both. It took around 15 days end-to-end for the battery to be delivered.

Mantsos said:
Paikan said:
A question:

Best regards

My bike is on its way (air freight) and Ivy confirmed yesterday that the battery is with the bike. I'm in the US

Ivanovitch_k said:
I don't think so. It's the orange locking pin that is replaced.

It's cool. Ivy is sending me one of the longer silver (Al) ones. And the battery is sufficiently Velcro strapped for the interim.

Is anyone else having trouble communicating with Frey?

I have been trying to initiate an order for several days, and I have been getting incredibly brief responses half the time, and no responses at all the other half.

Any tips for dealing with this company? They didn't respond to a direct e-mail either...

I communicated/ordered via the Alibaba app. Ivy was quite responsive. Almost always next-day response, even on weekends. If I communicated during China working hours, usually got quick response within hours.

Back