Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

SCM said:
rcmonstermike said:
SCM said:
Enginepy said:
Is that an easy operation to do? Where is the adjuster for the belt tension? (Sorry, away from my bike for this week)

Easy to adjust - remove the skid and you will see the motor bolts and adjuster. Loosen the motor bolts and make the adjustment...i just backed it off 1 position.

Hmmm, tried this and had to tighten the chain afterwards. The result was much more noice from the chain around the front sprocket when rolling with no throttle. What did I do wrong? Could I've put the system offset somehow, angle front sprocket vs chain? Anyone with similar experience or ideas?

The belt adjustment(achieved by way of motor movement) is independent of the chain adjustment(achieved by way of wheel movement). Adjusting one shouldn't impact the other.

macribs said:
Noillek said:
Here is also another video between Light Bee and the Bultaco Brinco

https://youtu.be/t4ND1ysR4N4

There's a few alternatives but are all a bit too expensive, compared with the Sur-Ron Light Bee

p.s. - how do I embed a video from youtube in a post? sorry for the off topic question.

Look at the you posted. Swap [URL] for [YOUTUB...utube][/spoiler] [/quote] Thank you @macribs

After looking around more at Rocky Mountain's tire selection, I decided to take a shot at the Shinko sr241 trials tire in the 3.5x19 size. It just barely fits! As with the scorpion, it's significantly taller than the stock tire and with the 58 tooth sprocket, it feels about the same it did stock, so I'd say a 64 tooth with this tire would be about right.

b5okKxP.jpg

It's close to the chain, but it hasn't interfered yet. It's also close to the kickstand spring bolt when the stand is up and it rubbed a couple of times while riding. My plan is to swap out the stock bolt with something that will keep the spring closer to the kickstand.

pulxBS3.jpg

Here is a shot of the stock tire vs. the Shinko:

And the stocker vs. the Scorpion i'm putting on the front:

TsGuZY7.jpg

It feels a bit high in the rear right now, but I think with the added height of the scorpion, it will balance out. The trials tire gives a much smoother ride, the roots and chop that the rear was deflecting off of with the stock tire are soaked up by taller sidewall and lower pressure. I'm pretty sure it will suck in the mud, but i'm not really planning to use the bike for that anyway.

Yah, the Shinko SR241 3.50-19 is a BIG tire. I ran the 18" version of that tire on my old CRF230F and it was just about right for a 20HP motorcycle. If my memory serve me correctly, that tire is about 26" in diameter inflated to 27PSI, that makes your rear tire taller than your front tire, any issues with handling, specifically pushing/plowing in loose corners?

I tried a 3.5 trial tyre that had radial contruction, which meant it could be run at ridiculously low air pressure but the weight gain was very signficant so i ended up removing it. 6psi was possible due to thick stiff side walls.
3.5 tyres are a big step up from 3.0. You must consider not just the width but the diameter and weight.

2hh1y4m.jpg

I know the answer to my question will be in thread somewhere, but can someone remind me what model CST tyre comes with the Suron, and is it available to purchase easily?

brumbrum said:
I know the answer to my question will be in thread somewhere, but can someone remind me what model CST tyre comes with the Suron, and is it available to purchase easily?

I searched for that tire and couldn't find it. The bridgestone M403 70/100-19 is what I am running now and it works better than the CST.

brumbrum said:

Yah, the closest tire by CST that I could find that resembled the tires that come with Sur-Ron is called the Surge I 70/100-19. But they don't look like the stock tires, the knobs look taller and are closer together.

fasjohnny said:
The engine cover on the Sur Ron is quite weak as many have noticed.

I have a company in China since 10 years ago, i let my metal factory make a 100% copy of the engine protector.

Im thinking of making a steel version and a thicker aluminium version.

What thickness do you guys is the best for the aluminium one?

Hi, there! I think it should be 5 mm at least, to be able to jump through logs etc.
Please let me/us know ASAP as it ready I will buy one immediately, cause my stock one is like a peace of paper.

Anyone heard anything about a controller replacement for the Sur-Ron?
There's been talk of the factory making a new sine-wave version,but so far it hasn't been seen.
Then theres that ASI monster that Luna/Luke have been ripping up the internet with.

Ideally, I'm looking for something reliable and weather-proof (kinda like the factory one) with some more power and a regen function.

Has anyone looked at using an Adaptto or similar? or keep waiting to see what the factory churns out..

JuiceMeUp said:
There's been talk of the factory making a new sine-wave version,but so far it hasn't been seen.

Its been seen now - it is available in China on the Model X and some dealers received them. Just can't order them yet as far as I know...

Question about the Sur-Ron from Luna-

So the site says the price is $3474.95, awesome

The supermoto conversion is $300

So that’s $300 on top of the $3474.95 for a total of $3774.95?

Wouldn’t it make sense to offer it as either the dirt bike version or the supermoto version for the same price?

And you’d have to install the supermoto conversion your self correct?

What about someone who only wants this bike as the supermoto version? It’s basically $300 more to make it that way your self?

Mithion said:
Question about the Sur-Ron from Luna-

So the site says the price is $3474.95, awesome

The supermoto conversion is $300

So that’s $300 on top of the $3474.95 for a total of $3774.95?

Wouldn’t it make sense to offer it as either the dirt bike version or the supermoto version for the same price?

And you’d have to install the supermoto conversion your self correct?

What about someone who only wants this bike as the supermoto version? It’s basically $300 more to make it that way your self?

if I'm reading the luna Sur-ron web pages correctly it appears to me that one can order the Sur-ron from luna stock (with 19" wheels and off-road tires) OR with the supermoto 17" wheels and street tires installed instead for an extra $300 .. or you can get the supermoto wheels separate (in addition to the stock wheels) for $420 .. Sur-ron light bee does not come from the manufacturer with the supermoto wheels installed (as far as I can tell) so luna has to unpack the bike on arrival, switch out the wheels then repack the bike before shipping to the customer.. so this service has costs associated with the swap that are passed to the consumer and should not be expected as a free exchange (especially since the stock wheels will have virtually no market or resale value) .. also the supermoto wheels are reported to be a better quality wheel build than stock (in terms of more even spoke tension and larger spoke nipples for easier spoke adjustment) .. however, contact the seller beforehand to confirm before ordering (and let us know what you find out) .. also Sur-ron is marketed by luna for off-road use and the bikes being sold by them (currently) do not come with a 17 digit VIN number often needed for legal on road registration and use .. so contact your local DMV etc as needed to inquire about street legal use for your locality before you purchase a $4K moped that you may not be able to legally ride on public roads in your area .. the street legal Sur-ron light bee L1e homologated version with VIN numbers, etc now being sold in europe will likely become available from luna (or other distributors) soon if you need to register the bike for street legal operation..

reference :
https://lunacycle.com/sur-ron-mx-electric/
https://lunacycle.com/sur-ron-super-moto-conversion-kit/

Uran93 said:
fasjohnny said:

I have a company in China since 10 years ago, i let my metal factory make a 100% copy of the engine protector.

Hi, there! I think it should be 5 mm at least, to be able to jump through logs etc.
Please let me/us know ASAP as it ready I will buy one immediately, cause my stock one is like a peace of paper.

Ditto, It's pretty much the one thing I need right now.

Mithion said:
That is the best reply I could have ever asked for. Thank you!

Yah, EFMX Trials (aka Natas) researches and fact checks the hell out of things, barring some literal lost in translation event, his info is always spot on.

artisanstone said:
Uran93 said:
fasjohnny said:

Ditto, It's pretty much the one thing I need right now.

according to Eric at luna, as posted on the facebook group "Sur Ron Owners" luna has recently made an upgraded heavy duty skid plate for Sur-ron light bee and will offer them for sale on their site soon .. so contact Luna for pricing and availability if interested ..

36456042_1981248861908957_522911293330423808_o.jpg

reference :
https://m.facebook.com/groups/785457324995400?view=permalink&id=796793147195151

That thing does not look very nicely made. Hopefully it's first prototype. I'm not saying I could do better myself though.

artisanstone said:
That thing does not look very nicely made. Hopefully it's first prototype. I'm not saying I could do better myself though.

We are just being seeing a picture of the skid plate being form fitted, it hasn't been welded and/or anodized yet. It will look much better when completed.

Rix said:
artisanstone said:

We are just being seeing a picture of the skid plate being form fitted, it hasn't been welded and/or anodized yet. It will look much better when completed.

That makes sense. Aside from the perforations at the bends, I was looking at the accidental bend mark in middle?, and the mounting tabs not aligning well. I assumed that was from not accounting for additional thickness of metal. Hopefully it will turn out nice, I'll be all over it. I bent mine up the second day and have been refraining from anything that would damage it more.

Hopefully it will turn out nice, I'll be all over it. I bent mine up the second day and have been refraining from anything that would damage it more.

Hear you there. I had a dent in mine from a rock that was flung up from the front tire at speed. It was easy enough to remove the dent with neighbors floor press. Can't even tell it was dented now, but the concern was I didn't center punch a rock, it was flung up by the front wheel, I almost wonder if the temper of the aluminum is on the soft side?

They also have this interesting mud guard for sale on the same jd site around AU$20
5b10054aN588788f9.jpg.dpg

nethern said:
They also have this interesting mud guard for sale on the same jd site around AU$20
5b10054aN588788f9.jpg.dpg

It is for mounting brake/indicator lights and license plate.

Back