Adding pictures?

Are there any other limitations to uploading pictures, besides pixel count size and file size? I can't seem to be able to upload, no matter what I try. I always get a notice icon at the attachment table, and clicking on it give out the information "Could not upload attachment to ./files/57805_60b1e5a920f263fa59e00737a86ee036.", or some other random filename.

I had the same problem this afternoon except it was on uploading a .zip file as an attachment. Happened after this website had come back up after being down. Maybe these are symptoms of the same problem?

Just tried it again & got error msg:
Error

Could not upload attachment to ./files/23604_606be864bb9c1351b13328550887bb7e.

Sorry guys, we got DDOSed yesterday and i tightened up system permissions a little too far :lol:
This is fixed. Let me know if you are still having problems.

I have been trying to post photos by uploading from a folder on my computer lately, same way and same folder as always, but suddenly I get an error saying
It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image. Please verify that the URL you entered is correct.

But I am not doing anything differently from earlier? The pictures are resized to spec, I've tried the drag and drop function, the upload button and so on...

Edit: To add to the issue I have now done a trial upload with previously uploaded photos, and that works just fine! But again, I am doing everything like I always have (or at least I think so), and the photos are even taken with the same phone!

I understand that, though I was hoping that someone would understand what is wrong with the pictures as, like I said, I have done nothing differently from before. The pictures are taken with the same phone, uploaded to the same dropbox folder, resized to correct sizes etc.

I guess the reason the alert says something about the correctness of a URL is that I am uploading from a dropbox folder? Since if I was uploading from a local folder, it would be an URL at all? Either way, still, nothing has changed on my part...

Edit: I just tried to upload from a local folder on my computer, which also gave the same error message, so it has nothing to do with using dropbox.

OK got your picture, transmitted by email. See size is 5504x3096. That is way big. File size is 5.58 MB. I open picture with Adobe Photoshop. Image / Image Size... Change width to 800 because I like the number 800. New image size is now 800x450. File / Save As... Rename DSC_1388_800x450.jpg File size is now 90.9 KB

There are lots of other programs besides Photoshop to reduce picture size. Look at the programs ya got in your computer and I bet ya have something.

Attachments / Add files

Why is the clear plastic so thick? Is it heavy? Is this for a electric bicycle? I like my electric bicycles as light as possable because I am always lifting them into a truck or up and down stairs.

Attachments

• DSC_1388_800x450.jpg
    DSC_1388_800x450.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 29,085
Marty, thank you so much! BUT! I managed to send you the non resized version, crap!

I'm gonna have another go at it... If you're still willing to help me.

Edit: Just sent you another picture. I do just the same as you're syaing; resize to 800 width, save as, and so on...

You'll see from the next photo that I am not building an e-bike, but a scooter.

The thick plastic is so I can screw the main walls of the battery pack directly into the "thin" part of the thick plastic...

Confirmed. Something is not right with the picture of the scooter. I got the same error.

Error
It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image. Please verify that the URL you entered is correct.

No idea what the problem is? As a work around, I took the image into Photoshop. File / Save As... Save as type: Photoshop .psd Then save as .jpg

Attachments

• 2018-11-26 22.17.34 - Copy.jpg
    2018-11-26 22.17.34 - Copy.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 29,074
You do not need to resize any images in order to upload them here. That's an artifact of the past.

But you do need to upload them in png, jpg, or gif format.

If the system tells you it cannot determine the size of the image, it probably can't understand the format of the file.

neptronix, is it possible any of these two issues could be in play here? The first one persists in 3.2.2 & needs editing to fix.

[url said:
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=556&t=2433446&start=30#p14941906[/url]"]

Re: It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image
Post by AmigoJack » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:02 am

Well, maybe all of you are mixing up different issues: Problem with uploading large jpg files after update 3.2.2 and Error with Picture resulotion on Upload.

[url said:
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=556&t=2455356#p14914301[/url]"]
Re: Problem with uploading large jpg files after update 3.2.2
Post by AmigoJack » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:58 am

phpBB analyzes JPEG files only by looking at its first 124.576 bytes, and the segment holding the dimension information in your file would need to parse/seek 1.032.406 bytes. I have no clue why phpBB has still not understood how JPEG files can look like and dimension information can still be quite at the end of a file.
^ In his next post he suggests fixing it by increasing the jpeg max header size.

[url said:
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=556&t=2445676#p14864301[/url]"]
Re: Error with Picture resulotion on Upload
Post by AmigoJack » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:44 am

There are multiple problems:
a. The picture itself is correct, but has EXIF data which seems to be from the original file, not this 150x150px version. EXIF data is (amongst other):
[...]
b. phpBB wants to be smart at detecting the dimensions, but fails (
again). It trusts the EXIF data more than the SOF0 segment, although the latter correctly tells us width and height and is more trustworthy.
This comes from /vendor/marc1706/fast-image-size/lib/Type/TypeJpeg.php which has a wrong order of checks:
[...]
c. Avoid software which breaks JPEG standards and/or mistreats EXIF data (anything from Adobe, which can be seen in the XMP metadata:
If you want to "repair" your picture then
Open it in your favorite image editor (mostly thru CTRL+O), then either
copy it to the clipboard (the picture's 150x150px canvas, not the file - this means to most editors CTRL+A, then CTRL+C),
create a new file with the same dimensions (mostly CTRL+N),
paste your clipboard content (mostly CTRL+V),
save the file (mostly CTRL+S).
...or save the file in a different format (PNG, GIF, BMP...).
That way the metadata will not be copied (in case you choose JPEG as format again you'll notice a big difference in the filesize) and phpBB will finally recognize the correct dimensions.
Under "b." he shows the faulty code that gives exif header, vs SOF0, precedence on size check then suggests a fix on the next page.

I have now tested the following, with a JPG format picture that gave me the same error message as above:

1. Original state: JPG, not resized. Error message: File too big
2. Kept JPG format, but resized to 800x1422 width x height. Error message: not possible to determine the dimensions of the image
3. Saved as PNG format, not resized. Error message: File too big
4. Saved as PNG, but resized to 800x1422 width x height. Error message: not possible to determine the dimensions of the image

Edit: Tried now with another JPG photo in its original format and shape (state number 1), and now I got the error message not possible to determine the dimensions of the image, so I am really confused at the moment.

Strange!

Original picture EddySPalm sent me.
DSC_1388.JPG
5504x3096
5.58 MB.
Error

Confirmed. Something has gone wrong between EddySPalm's camera and the upload procedure with this forum. Neptronix, good luck building a forum to work with every camera, phone and computer on planet earth. I would tell EddySPalm to try a different camera or phone. Or do what I did.

Take the image into Photoshop. File / Save As... Save as type: Photoshop .psd Then save as .jpg

neptronix said:
You do not need to resize any images in order to upload them here. That's an artifact of the past.

My chickens are eating salad.
DSC00754.JPG
4896x3672
6.41 MB
Error
The file is too big, maximum allowed size is 512 KiB.

Resize with Photoshop.
DSC00754_1600x1200.JPG
1600x1200
332 KB

Well, that is awfully strange. The maximum file size is set to 10mb.

Here.. have a huge 1.7mb photo.

Marty sent me 2 of Eddy's problem files:
1. '2018-11-26 22.17.34.jpg' which had been resized to 800x450 filesize: 367,475
2. DSC_1388.JPG 5504x3096 filesize: 5,853,628

Tried attaching each to a new post and phpbb gave me the same "It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image. Please verify that the URL you entered is correct." error msg they got.

Tried viewing each of the files using "Image Viewer" and the mtPaint graphic editor programs that happen to be on my PC. No problem.

I opened each of the files using mtPaint, saved each as a new jpg file, & attached each to a new post. No problem. File #2, which is big, attached & displayed fine.

Tried the same using the online photo editor Picozu.com (would've tried pixlr.com first because it's better-known but pixlr was overloaded & unusable). No problem loading the files that phpbb wouldn't load (except file #2 was big enough that, on opening the file, picozu made me specify a smaller size to resize to). So this can be a workaround for anyone who's getting an "not possible to determine image dimensions" phpbb error msg and doesn't have a different graphics program readily available to use instead.

In April, torker had the same problem with his avatar image. It's looking more like phpbb might have a bug loading jpg files under certain conditions. Now that I have Eddy's bad files as an example, I'll probably check their EXIF vs. SOF0 dimensions data later on.

neptronix said:
Well, that is awfully strange. The maximum file size is set to 10mb.

Here.. have a huge 1.7mb photo.

IMG_20181123_181412.jpg
file.php

Code:
[img]https://endless-sphere.com/forums/download/file.php?id=245109&mode=view[/img]
OK I give up. What is it? Plastic gizmo that clamps onto a round pipe?

That's a thumb throttle (left or right usable), on a clamp that would let you put it on handlebars or other tubing that the throttle itself cant fit on for one reason or another (it's own ID, or the curve of the bars being too sharp to get around, etc).

Followup on Eddy's problem files.

Eddy's file#1's EXIF data says the image dimensions are 5504x3096 even though it had already been resized to 800x450. phpbb's fast-image-size tries to get the image size from EXIF first and, if it can't, then tries to get it from the SOF0 marker. So that must be what's wrong with his file#1. I looked but couldn't see what the problem was with his file#2's EXIF data.

When I used mtPaint & Picozu to write new images from his files, they did remove the EXIF data.

Last test: to avoid changing the image data & another lossy recompression by recreating his files, I removed most of the EXIF data from them using the jhead program's option "-purejpg" ("Delete all JPEG sections that aren't necessary for rendering the image. Strips any metadata that various applications may have left in the image."). The resulting files attached & displayed fine in phpbb. File#2 was 5MB big but that size wasn't a problem.

So the problem is what's described here; phpbb's code is sometimes deficient attaching jpegs & could do a better job of it.

Summary:
1. Like neptronix said, it's not necessary any more to resize your image for phpbb. At least up to the 5MB tested here if not larger.
But if that somehow doesn't work or you get an "Error It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image. Please verify that the URL you entered is correct." then,
2. like marty first said, try using a different program & create a new image.

marty said:
My chickens are eating salad.
DSC00754.JPG
4896x3672
6.41 MB
Error
The file is too big, maximum allowed size is 512 KiB.
marty, do you still have this file? I'd like to try removing it's exif data. Would you send it to me in email?

That's a DIY adapter for putting a thumb throttle on a road bike with the curvy handlebars they have.

Phpbb uses either imagemagick or GD for image processing. Almost all web apps written in PHP use these, so we can't really blame the message board software for this. Something is strange about what was being uploaded.

But jpeg has been standardized for over a decade now, so if some device is writing weird files, we gotta blame the device for not adhering to standards.. not some software library that can't handle a quirky file.

There are better libraries for windows, linux, and mac apps that can chew through non-standard files, no problem. My favorite image viewer/cruncher is irfanview on windows. Even if you hand it a file with the wrong extension, it will figure out what it is. It's a nice free tool for handling this issue.

It's a known problem & occurs when initially getting jpeg fileinfo before imagemagick or GD is used.

If you find "checkExifData" in phpBB3/vendor/marc1706/fast-image-size/lib/Type/TypeJpeg.php it's the combination of that, and the quirky file, that causes the problem.

The programmer did fix it.

Back