Buying a 8000w E-bike?

If your controller does not allow as much power(100A72V), as the motor, and battery, Will the controller then have a short life expectancy? Or will it just limit the available power?

Kennet_h: Whatever you choose, go for the stealthiest look you can. The cops are getting more and more wary over here (Norway) after there's been several incidents with high power illegal bikes in the news lately. You don't want to be one of the guys ruining it for everybody else ;)

Where in the country do you ride btw?

kennet_h said:
If your controller does not allow as much power(100A72V), as the motor, and battery, Will the controller then have a short life expectancy? Or will it just limit the available power?

The controller can limit the motor’s power of course, and the battery can be damaged by a controller that is set higher than battery discharge capability.

With a QS 273, I would be looking to pull 150A battery current and feed 300+A phase. That is where this motor does begin to justify its weight. :twisted:

So far, Norway had not been known to be a risky place for fast ebikes riders. Yet you should inform yourself with other riders in your area. Building to look like a bicycle is always a good idea, even in places where the police doen’t bother much. A DH bike is a good start for that matter, but difficult to build with large battery capacity. Most who are building on DH bikes are mounting 1 kwh, and carry extra capacity in a backpack or luggage when needed. I find a DH bike small for a QS 273, my preference is 205 size. I would be more inclined using a 273 on a custom frame, or a street scooter like the Ruckus.

bowers said:
Kennet_h: Whatever you choose, go for the stealthiest look you can. The cops are getting more and more wary over here (Norway) after there's been several incidents with high power illegal bikes in the news lately. You don't want to be one of the guys ruining it for everybody else ;)

I live in Gjøvik. You?

Have anyone you know/heard of Gotten into trouble riding?

I have only read about a handful of people, getting into trouble, and all were involved in accidents.

I definitely won't go fast where there is pedestrians.

The way it is now, you appear to be good, as long as you're not a complete ass:p

MadRhino said:
kennet_h said:

The controller can limit the motor’s power of course, and the battery can be damaged by a controller that is set higher than battery discharge capability.

With a QS 273, I would be looking to pull 150A battery current and feed 300+A phase. That is where this motor does begin to justify its weight. :twisted:

So far, Norway had not been known to be a risky place for fast ebikes riders. Yet you should inform yourself with other riders in your area. Building to look like a bicycle is always a good idea, even in places where the police doen’t bother much. A DH bike is a good start for that matter, but difficult to build with large battery capacity. Most who are building on DH bikes are mounting 1 kwh, and carry extra capacity in a backpack or luggage when needed. I find a DH bike small for a QS 273, my preference is 205 size. I would be more inclined using a 273 on a custom frame, or a street scooter like the Ruckus.

Ended up just getting the alibaba bike, it is capable of 7.8kw. And 11kw if i upgrade the controller.

Will ride with it for a while, before deciding if i will upgrade the rear shock, and the controller.

Excited! :D

kennet_h said:
bowers said:

I live in Gjøvik. You?

Have anyone you know/heard of Gotten into trouble riding?

I have only read about a handful of people, getting into trouble, and all were involved in accidents.

I definitely won't go fast where there is pedestrians.

The way it is now, you appear to be good, as long as you're not a complete ass:p

Ostfold here. I don't know anyone myself, only through media. And yes, I agree. As long as you don't ride like an ass, you'll be fine, at least for now.
I ride with a few simple rules and hope others do to. If so, it will probably be fine for a long time to come.

Never overtake cars or keep up with them if the speed is over 25 km/h. It looks unnatural and attracts attention.
Never pass pedestrians at high speeds. This should actually be a good thing with ebikes. The treshold for slowing down for pedestrians is much lower since you regain speed just by moving your thumb ;)
If there's a chance in hell anyone can see you (houses, cars, cameras etc) always pedal unless it's downhill. Don't make people talk about "those damn moped in disguise" bikes. Always let everybody else think you need to pedal to make the bike move ;)

I got about 1500 km over the last 3 seasons now without trouble or incidents.

I'm sure the Alibaba bike will serve you good :)

Happy riding!

There are a lot of factors for speed but the big one is voltage. I'm on my fourth ebike and weigh 200 lbs and so far 72v seems to be the trick for breaking 40 mph (without field weakening). For torque/getting up to speed quickly amps are the key. I see you bought a bike. If you ever decide to change controllers PowerVelocity sells a much cheaper, more reliable alternative to the Adaptto. Set up is a breeze, it's water resistant enough to ride in heavy rain, and they put out some power. Adaptto is cool and it puts out power but they are fragile in a lot of ways and not user friendly to the point where I would recommend one to someone who is hesitant to build his own bike.

Thanks for the tip! :D

I will look into the PowerVelocity controllers, if i decide to upgrade.

Haha! :) I bet it won't be that bad. Most of the this stuff comes from china anyway, i will have some room for upgrades with, with the price difference, compared to the European/American pre built, high powered bikes! :wink:

You tell us after you ride it one season. Sure you will need brakes the first week, for those that are on it are not worth the cost of good pads. :wink:

Where is updates and videos of this ebike ? Iam curious to see the torque ;)

They have been taking forever. The bike is finally shipped. I'll do an update when i get the bike.

A guy here on the forum said that his enduro/aliexpresss bike started to twist when he leaned into corners.
They don't make the fastenings on the swingarm correctly and then when they assemble it, they apparently just bend the them towards the bearing, which means the fastenings arent straight anymore. I made the mistake of buying a frame myself and I can confirm that this is the case. If I were you, I'd send it back, get a full refund and buy a Vector.

kennet_h said:
Haha! :) I bet it won't be that bad. Most of the this stuff comes from china anyway,

you confuse two things
of course most of what we buy is made in China
some brand name bike parts are made in China,
a lot of bike parts are made in Taiwan
by brand name I mean WESTERN brand manufactured in China with all Western quality standards and QC procedures moved to China for cheap labour. with no China managers.
your SONY camera is made in China and it must be quality of exactely same camera made in Japan.
- SONY procedures in place no matter where is made
- TEKTRO procedures in place no matter where is made
- RockShox procedures in place no matter where is made
etc.
by China crap we mean China brand products made in China factories with horrible conditions with spotty or with NO QC procedures in place at all.
some employing child labour

I get that. But assembling a bike, is not the hardest thing in the world.

I might be giving the chinese no brand factories, too much credit, but i would assume that the frames, were straight, and solid enuf, for it not to be a problem on roads.

Shipping from Norway to China, is super expensive, so that would be the absolute last resort, hopefully it won't be so bad, that i have to do that.

From the comment about the frame, im starting to get a bit worried.
Should have done more reading, before buying.

At this point i just have to hope for the best i guess :?

kennet_h said:
I might be giving the chinese no brand factories, too much credit, but i would assume that the frames, were straight, and solid enuf, for it not to be a problem on roads.

From the comment about the frame, im starting to get a bit worried.
Should have done more reading, before buying.

At this point i just have to hope for the best i guess :?

Chinese "companies" or basements :lol: dont give a rats ass. They ship it to you and you are f'd! Its a gamble. It dont matter if Aliexpress/Alibaba have a good "rating" they just game the system for good reviews.

Now on the flip side of things, you take a company like Greentime on Aliexpress or Alibaba, with countless people buying stuff from them, they have come out ahead, they want to satisify their customers for repeat business and word of mouth sales. You can be rest assured you wont be f'd by some counterfeit/nonworking part. Some random seller with no history from other users here on ES, just take your money and go to the Black Jack tables and drink your Pepsi.

Should have
Could have
Would have
But you didnt!

Hope is good!

The seller on alibaba said that it would ship within 30 days, but it took about 70 days, to ship.
How much of a refund, would you try to get?

Feeling a little annoyed, paying extra for fast shipping, when they use more then 2X, the predicted time, to assemble and test the bike.

More likely, it was their first, and they had to figure things out. :mrgreen:

Those sellers on Alibaba, often post a picture of someone else’s bike and go fishing. :wink:

Did you buy from Leili from the link in your first post? Don't let these guys bother you. I've been buying direct on Alibaba for a decade, though I never buy just one item at retail. It just takes a lot of research to make sure you're dealing with a significant company, and you have to keep in mind they aren't very interested in a one time one unit retail sale.

Yes, i ordered from them.

I have also ordered a lot of less expensive items,(Not ebike related) from alibaba, and similar sites, without issues.

I did not put in that much time, examining the company.

I just browsed through most of the companies there, and on similar sites, and picked the one that locked most credible.

They have been around for more than 5 years, have a fair amount of sales, and offer on site check.

So hopefully the bike will be fine.

Leili has been around quite a while and definitely not some garage operation. Plus, if I remember correctly they were the first in China making an enduro type frame. The delay is likely just a supply issue, though I understand your frustration since it's cutting well into your riding season.

It looked to me like your bike will come fully assembled, just the front wheel in a separate box, which to me means also that they'd do at least some minimum testing before packaging. Please let us know if that's the case, since it adds a bit of value to what seemed a somewhat high price.

Back