Highest capacity 18650 cells

spinningmagnets said:
Does HG2 really has so much better cycle life than 30Q?

Regardless as to whether you use HG2 or 30Q, the best thing you can do for long life is...charge to a max of 4.1V per cell, and...4.0V is better (no benefit to charging to 3.9V per cell). Storing long-term at 4.2V per cell is an early death for the pack...

The real cycle life killer for many (not all) cells is high charge rates, especially high charge rates at low cell temperatures. Many cells, especially high capacity cells can be destroyed within a few dozend cycles at 0,5C charge at 0°C. The 35E is only good for 1A charge rate even at 20°C(!).

Not using the full SOC windows is beneficial, too, but if you use buy capacicty cells (with all the other disadvantages) you will like to use the maximum SOC window at least from time to time...

Yes, charge rate is definitelly the main problem for cycle life when using high energy cells. But back to the highest capacity 18650 cells.

About a year after presentation, they are finally beginning to emerge on the mass market a 3600mAh cells. We can now find LG INR18650 M36 and Samsung INR18650-36G.

Pajda said:
Yes, charge rate is definitelly the main problem for cycle life when using high energy cells. But back to the highest capacity 18650 cells.

About a year after presentation, they are finally beginning to emerge on the mass market a 3600mAh cells. We can now find LG INR18650 M36 and Samsung INR18650-36G.

NKON has these in stock for 3.55 Euros
LG INR18650-M36 3600mAh - 10A

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/58632
End of Jan 2018 post
Someone posted
Barely any better than the LG 18650 MJ1 “3500”, yet they keep inflating the magic number. Is the “3600mAh” figure an actual datasheet capacity claim? No way this cell delivers that down to 2.5V even at 0.2C rate. And neither the NCR18650GA nor the Samsung INR18650-35E are much better.

This is a 3200mAh minimum capacity class cell for up to 3C rate.

Cheers Party

Good thread!

I learned that shaving my pubes does NOT make my dick longer - and - the bit about thinking of cells as High Capacity or High Discharge is rock solid (at this exact moment in time).

My take is that too much attention is paid to this
Similar to how Lycra racers spend an extra thousand to shave 50 grams... then carry a water bottle...

To me - I get about the same ride - out of a 500wh pack and a 1kwh pack
Ya just have to ride slightly different
(obviously does not apply to racing)

1) Grab a CA
2) Actually install it (you would be surprised...)
3) Actually calibrate it (again.... you would be surprised...)
4) Monitor WH/Mile

I can ride at 20wh/m
I can ride at 60wh/m

There is a 3X difference there - which eclipses any worries about a 3.4AH vs 3.5AH vs 3.2Ah cell

Alternatively
Pack another string in parallel or another block in series
There IS room on the bike
You just have to be creative :idea:

For cells?
I take whatever the hell I can find at the best price possible - ideally from something that was wrecked early.

For charging - I charge between 1C and 2C with no regard for cycle life. My not so humble opinion is that the technology will outpace cell life... such that the price will drop fast enough... and the capacity will rise fast enough... that you simply will not care ... once you reach that 5000 cycle point.

Proof?
Eh - comes with being around for a while.

10 years ago I was fooling with Emoli Cells and Thunder-Sag 1-3C blocks
Eh....
Do you think I have ANY desire to run that crap anywhere near my bike?

Nope

What I am interested in doing is thrashing my packs hard and having as good of a time as possible.
Jump in and enjoy - (speaking to the lurk or noob) - dont worry about getting into the cutting edge.
Just get into what you can afford quickly... and ride phoool :)

Have fun
-methods

markz said:

Thanks for the tip! I was looking at the NKON site last week and these was not there yet. I have ordered few samples for testing. LG MJ1 cycle life rules the world of 18650 Highest Energy cells, so I'm very curious if the M36 can beat it.

LG INR18650-M36 has 3600mAh label just for getting your attention.
3500mAh 35E etc have still bigger capacity in test results and are lighter in weight too!
Fake 4K TVs and now THIS, cmon LG :evil:

Cycle life is the most important parameter i think but strangely we still have so less information about that.

DVDRW said:
Cycle life is the most important parameter i think but strangely we still have so less information about that.

If this is true... then here is where you start.

1) You have already done the first part - talk with other scientists about what is needed.
2) Develop an experiment which can be affordably and easily repeated by other scientists.

In this case - limiting factor is time - so an accelerated aging test (standard) is what you seek

1) Yes - discharging the cells under Cold, Ambient, Hot, - at High, low, medium rates - results in different data. But... not orders of magnitude different - more like percentage... 10% say.

2) This complexity impedes progress as nobody has time or money to set up a big fancy test with 300 different cells in 8 different thermotrons with 8 different test racks to cycle the load and power... That sort of work starts at $100k

Everybody has an oven tho
Everybody has a freezer
Everybody has (presumably) a lab power supply
Everybody has (presumably) a basic variable load stack (or a standard can be developed)
Everybody has a kitchen that is around 20C

Close enough for government work

So we start by getting some Accelerated Aging rough parameters from someone who works in the pit at Deer Creek.
From that rough data - we set up a similar test
It does not matter what the test is - so long as it is simple - so long as it can be repeated

We crush the lifetime test down by 1 (or possibly 2) orders of magnitude

Example:

Assume 1C Test

Rational: About 3AH cells, those are about 10wh, a pack is about 50V, a pack is about 500wh, so a pack is about 10ah, so that is about 3 cells in parallel, so at 1C we would have 10A charge and an average 10A discharge. A 10A discharge would correlate to 500W output - very reasonable for a conservative setup - and a round hour for a test.

So 1 test would take:

1hr to charge
1hr to discharge
(for a single cell, assuming tests run in parallel - so parallel test jigs - and not parallel cells unless individually current monitored)

5,000 cycles means 10,000 hours of testing
Thats about 420 days

Lets pause there
Is anyone registering that?

IF you were to get an honest 5000 cycles...
AND you started just cycling it at 1C... all day... every day...
It would take you over a year just to get to the 50% (or whatever the percent cut off is).

Assuming 1 cycle a day - to get to and from work - that would be 5000 days
That's over 12 YEARS

... its 2018 ...
These cells will be considered garbage in 2030
I am talking about MAJOR yesterdays technology... :wink:

But back on track
If we want to have a standard to test to - it does not have to come from manufacturers - it can easily be done home brew.

It just needs to be apples for apples
It just needs to be Accelerated (OBVIOUSLY - RIGHT?)

I mean...
Nobody actually thinks that companies are grabbing the absolute cutting edge technology... and testing it for a YEAR right?
RIGHT?

NO

They PROJECT using Accelerated aging techniques.

So - that is what we must do to...
So... at 1 order magnitude it is now a 500 hour test
Thats like... a month... and I see you guys salivating over the DAY a cell is released... so too slow...

Two orders of magnitude acceleration - thats a 50 hour test... now we are talking. That is very harsh test - will produce vary inconsistent results...

Cell comes out on market
You buy it
Ship it overnight
Put it in your test rig
Run it for 2 days straight
Start reporting data - in 12 hour chunks - 4 reports - full life cycle test

Tester should cost about - meh - $100USD

It would be cool to set up an igloo, rig up a compressor for cooling, rig up a heater for heating, control moisture, get all serious about it... but... who is going to do that?

Not "average Joe"

I would keep it SUPER SIMPLE to just toss a cell in the oven.
Maybe even a toaster oven
Keep it dry in there...

Across the Department of Energy, Tesla, ChargePoint, .... The time scale for life testing I have seen... is weeks to months. I have not witnessed any accelerated aging on complex systems that wound up in a day or two. Maybe for a simple component, like a resistor - but with thicker bit of mixed goods - that has to reach thermal equilibrium (soak) that sort of stuff... weeks.

That does NOT mean that we will fail if we create a super accelerated test.
It just means our data will not perfectly correlate to existing accelerated data plottings... i.e. we will end up with a bit of data which is only relative to itself... and not others data... and not absolute data.

Compare 1 cell to another (not to actual cycles or actual time)
A result with no unit*

Not hours or cycles... simply a number
0 to 1
For comparison

This is how it is done.
Show me if you think it is done another way.

-methods

~95% us use about 10 different cells max i think.
I have ~20 different cells waiting for cycle testing over 2 years now. Start testing when i retire from work.
So first test is like aging test running now :)

Yea
Sounds about right

My business is automating test so I guess I just presume the test would be automated.
Datalog
sequence script
Programmable supplies and load...

I guess your average joe is going to have to do it with an egg timer and patience :D

fe86bae03a868b2eae2a54556a363217_original.png

I like to watch water boil from time to time...

-methods

methods said:
-methods

ah, goverment employee then. :lol:

flippy said:
methods said:
-methods

ah, goverment employee then. :lol:

Yep
The kind that validated the Tesla BMS and worked with sketch firing sets.

What kind of employee are you bra?

-methods

methods said:
Yep
The kind that validated the Tesla BMS and worked with sketch firing sets.
What kind of employee are you bra?
yes, that BMS stuff from TI in tesla's is real nice. dunno anything better on the road today.

and 20 years millitary. right now working logistics for the new diesel powerd fuel cell (e-lighter, google that shit) and other stuff not deployed yet....
at least when i am not building batteries for my own company...

Ah
Ok - welcome. :twisted:

... I googled that shit as you proposed...
This it?

http://www.fokker.com/sites/default/files/media/Files/Brochures/Fokker_E-Lighter.pdf

So you are working in the military industrial complex, or at least working in contracting to provide war gear?

hmmm... good.

Not because I support war (I dont - its a cowards game and the root of great evil)

But I do respect the war machine, as those guys will TEST THE SHIT out of whatever you give them and IMPROVE technology. Sometimes good stuff does come from the waging of war (tho always at horrifically low efficiency)

Have fun.
Please direct me to your battery tests when you have them going.

If you are here fishing for your own profit...
Meh... (you do give me a "Jason" vibe - the guy from e-bikekit.com)... whatever.

Try to give some back if you take some - K :)

EDIT: That came out a bit rude. I do not wish to be rude. If you are technical you are welcome and I am stoked that you are here.

-methods

methods said:
Good thread!
I learned that shaving my pubes does NOT make my dick longer

It does! Visually at least)))))))))

Well, i've already got an LG M36 and a Samsung 36G is on its way to me. When it arrives - i'll test and compare them just like i did with 3500mAh cells

Pajda said:
markz said:

Thanks for the tip! I was looking at the NKON site last week and these was not there yet. I have ordered few samples for testing. LG MJ1 cycle life rules the world of 18650 Highest Energy cells, so I'm very curious if the M36 can beat it.

Does LG MJ1 have best cycle life in 3000-3500mah range in low power setup? (2.5a peak discharge) Any idea how good is shelf life?

methods said:
... I googled that shit as you proposed...
This it?
http://www.fokker.com/sites/default/files/media/Files/Brochures/Fokker_E-Lighter.pdf
So you are working in the military industrial complex, or at least working in contracting to provide war gear?
Have fun.
Please direct me to your battery tests when you have them going.
If you are here fishing for your own profit...
Meh... (you do give me a "Jason" vibe - the guy from e-bikekit.com)... whatever.
yes, that is it.
i am working the actual millitary.

battery tests are running right now.
i will update the topic i have for it soon.

anttipaa said:
Does LG MJ1 have best cycle life in 3000-3500mah range in low power setup? (2.5a peak discharge) Any idea how good is shelf life?

My standard 100% DoD cycle life test is 0.5C charge and 1C discharge of nominal capacity. Translated to MJ1 it is 1700mA charge and 3400mA discharge current. LG MJ1 is holding its initial internal resistance (and capacity at 1C rate) almost to the death. On the other side Sanyo GA internal resistance is growing rapidly which is tied with significant loss of capacity at 1C discharge rate.

flippy said:
battery tests are running right now.
i will update the topic i have for it soon.

Sweet

-methods

Why 18650?
You can easily find high energy density prismatic cells.
18650 arnt most efficient in case of weight or volume

sjd.aliyan said:
Why 18650?

Yes they are. With pouches you need heavy re-enforcement and you are stuck in having a fixed shape for starters. Second point is that pouches explode.

sjd.aliyan said:
Why 18650?

Which prismatic cells do you mean?

Pajda said:
My standard 100% DoD cycle life test is 0.5C charge and 1C discharge of nominal capacity. Translated to MJ1 it is 1700mA charge and 3400mA discharge current. LG MJ1 is holding its initial internal resistance (and capacity at 1C rate) almost to the death. On the other side Sanyo GA internal resistance is growing rapidly which is tied with significant loss of capacity at 1C discharge rate.

Nice findings ! Do you happen to have tested the 35E IR growth in those conditions ?

Yea I did, In one word the cycle life of Samsung 35E at 0.5C-1C 100% DoD is disaster. Unfortunatelly almost all Samsung 18650 and 21700 48G high energy cells have very bad cycle life at 100% DoD, Samsung 30Q have the same problem, only 29E and 25R shows satisfactory results. I should also noted that all above mentioned Samsung cells pass cycle life test under 0.5C-1C 50% DoD without problems, so under this particular test they are fully comparable to LG or Panasonic equivalents.

I am trying to find where is the problem. My guess is that Samsung 18650 cells suffers a lot even with 0.5C charge rate, which is standard(recomended) charge rate for most of LG and Panasonic cells and my measurements shows that they did not have problem with that. So I will start soon a new batch of test with 0.3C-1C 100% settings.

Cephalotus said:
The real cycle life killer for many (not all) cells is high charge rates, especially high charge rates at low cell temperatures. Many cells, especially high capacity cells can be destroyed within a few dozend cycles at 0,5C charge at 0°C. The 35E is only good for 1A charge rate even at 20°C(!).
Sounds interesting, any link to any paper with charts&tables?

Back