My Sun Trip Bike, Back to Back Tandem Trike with Rowing Generator, Pedals, +Solar

I hate the wire tangle thing. I used to use a radio with my motorcycle helmet that worked well but the wires were always a pain.
You could possibly figure out a way to mount a piece of tubing that goes from the side of your head to the other person. Talk into the end of the tube. Bigger tube works better. Hard smooth interior is good too.

Just a thought...

Too bad the route from Tekirdağ to Tehran wasn't a straighter line (as the map reads). They could've visited Batman.

batman.jpg

Edit: Disregard that notion - it looks like Batman is in the restricted zone, close to the border in Syria. Hope he gets it cleaned up.

So truly awesome. I have a feeling that this will be one of those defining experiences for you both Justin. I know just reading this thread, that your story is one I won't forget. Thank you for sharing it with us.

On the map it seems like they are so very close to Tehran. But that's still 1500 km away ... It is amazing how far they've already traveled.

wturber said:
On the map it seems like they are so very close to Tehran. But that's still 1500 km away ... It is amazing how far they've already traveled.

It is kind of crazy how quickly things are moving along and how near in sight sits the end goal for us. Today we started seeing the first road signs with Iran on them. We're in the city of Agri right now about 100km from the border.

IranOnRoadSigns.jpg

If all goes well we'll be crossing it mid-afternoon and then it's just a couple days and mountain pass to be by the Caspian Sea!

For what it's worth, Turkey has been an absolute solar ebiking paradise. It's got lots of hills and mountains yes, but they aren't forested so you still get full sunlight on the sides of the road. The road conditions are great, unlike most of europe you can bike the shoulder of all the highways here and aren't forced onto small bumpy and inefficient side roads. And the hospitality has been legendary. All the trucks pass with friendly musical honks, we get waved over for tea every time we stop somewhere, and the food has been pretty wonderful whenever we get to stop at an actual restaurant/eatery and aren't forced into gas station food to hit our daily km target.

TurkishBreakfast.jpg

Smaller towns are my favorite as there are always small groups of people just hanging out in their roadside hangouts, smoking or drinking tea or whatever. Then they'll hail us over, offer drinks, and we'll do our best to explain what we're up to using google translate and gestures to the flags on our trike.

StoppedForCai.jpg

We had an interesting experience yesterday but it feels like a week ago already. A guy Hakan who's involved in Turkish cycling scene contacted Anne-Sophie and came to meet us as we arrived in the city of Erzincan and took us to a restaurant. We were a bit in a rush to leave and keep moving but found ourselves in front of a whole media crew on the sidewalk, and by the end of the day this was love on turkish CNN and a number of other local news sites

https://www.cnnturk.com/turkiye/gunes-enerjili-bisikletle-fransadan-erzincana-geldiler?page=3
[youtube]J_hKg2_xvJs[/youtube]

TurkishMedia.jpg

The last several days we've been doing 220-230km. The sun makes that possible but it still takes a toll on us, physically and mentally. It would be soo much nicer to shoot for 150-180km, then the touring would be wrapped up by later afternoon and we could relax, enjoy the city, post on ES etc. ;) ). However, we have that flight to catch out of Tehran in like 8 days, and have to sort all the logistics of the dealing with the trike itself before then. Even with 200+km there's no margin if we run into difficulties ahead and so every day we're riding until 8:30-9pm. It could end sooner if we rode nonstop from the morning, but there are always little interruptions scattered throughout.

For those following the race from the Suntrip sites, you'll see that there's been a number of records broken in the past few days as riders going through Kazakhstan had nearly perfect conditions of great sun and tailwinds. It was first 380 something, then 398, then the latest being 427km in one day! I can't imagine what it takes to pull that off. Well I can, and I'm glad it's someone else in the saddle for 14hrs and not me :)

John in CR said:
Hi Justin, Awesome adventure! I figure you've got enough seat time to answer a question I've had about solar panels on a bike. Do you get much heat radiating down from the backside of the panels,

As others have mentioned, our final solar roof that we put together at the last minute has the solar panels sitting on a glass covered 1" thick styrofoam sheet, so even if the panels are roasting hot on the top surface there's no way for that to radiate downwards. I just love being under the shady roof structure and out of the direct sunlight.

A lot of the other riders have roofs where the flexible solar panels are supported by a metal or wood rod support grid so those ones could potentially radiate heat downwards when cells are hot, which would only happen when the bike / trike is parked. I'll ask them about this. Once rolling airflow certainly keeps the cells pretty cool.

philf said:
I wonder if that Super Soaker is a strong enough defense against the wild dogs in Turkey. This surveillance video was taken in the Turkish province that the southern route cyclists have just passed through. (Speculation is that a small animal, possibly a cat, had taken refuge in this car's engine compartment).

Wow, here's hoping that no cats take refuge in our trike's storage compartment over night!
Turkey has had it's share of dogs but mostly on private properties, and they stop running after you once you pass the property line more or less. The super soaker hasn't been pulled out since that one incident in Croatia.

This here was one of the most persistent stray dogs that we had for company. He ran beside us, behind us, in front of us, literally doing circles around the trike before seeing a car that was moving even faster than we were and then off it went to chase the car instead.

DogChase.jpg

justin_le said:
file.php

I'm sitting here eating Walmart trail mix and looking at that Turkish Breakfast photo. Dang! That looks good! Was it as good as that photo suggests?

As one of my table tennis/hardbat buddies sez, "Onward and upward!!"

wturber said:
I'm sitting here eating Walmart trail mix and looking at that Turkish Breakfast photo. Dang! That looks good! Was it as good as that photo suggests?

Oh yeah. I mean there is great food in all countries, but usually you have to go into the cities or towns to get it and when you're on the road trying to clock in kilometers there isn't time for that. Here it was great tasting meals available beside gas stations off the highway and at truckers stops. Maybe every 3rd gas station on the road in Turkey had a small restaurant beside serving food like this.

Justin_LE said:
It is kind of crazy how quickly things are moving along and how near in sight sits the end goal for us. Today we started seeing the first road signs with Iran on them. We're in the city of Agri right now about 100km from the border.

If all goes well we'll be crossing it mid-afternoon and then it's just a couple days and mountain pass to be by the Caspian Sea!

Well that was very optimistic no doubt. The weather turned into some of the strongest headwinds we've dealt with and occasional storm clouds, so we didn't get to the border until nighttime. Along the way though we were enthusiastically flagged down by a Turkish family who had been out picking plants for herbal teas. They invited us over for a picnic with watermelons, flatbread with cheeses, rose jam, endless tea etc. and we had a nice time conversing and laughing through phone translations. While we were there the sun came out, batteries got charged, it was the perfect final farewell from Turkey.

TurkishPicnic.jpg

As we approached the Iranian border there were fewer and fewer cars on the road until it was totally empty. I was fully expecting to be thoroughly searched given all the electronic gizmos on this contraption, but in the end there was way less grilling or questioning than I have from a typical crossing of the canada / us border. The only real holdup was that once again, all the border / security guards wanted to pause for pictures of themselves with the trike.

And that if anything has been the most constant theme riding in Iran so far. Where we stopped at the hotel in Bazargan crowds immediately came around to take pictures or themselves with this funny contraption. Then people were showing us on their phones how it was already all over the internet on some binanews.ir site.

BazarganHotel.jpg

It might be a translation thing or a cultural thing but everyone called it a 'car', as in "very nice car!". Inside I'm going "no, no it's a bicycle people" but then AnSo pointed out that, really, it looks a lot more car-like than bicycle-like. And there isn't much of a bicycle riding culture at all here, asides from children on bikes who will often follow us very enthusiastically for a couple blocks.

While in other countries we had lots of people on the road taking photos and videos as they drove past and hollering from the windows, here people are frequently pulling over on the side of the road in front of us, getting out of their car and then insisting that we stop. Sometimes it's been really timely, with people giving us bottles of ice-water just as our supplies are low. Other times people really want to chat, take photos, and offer us to stay at their house for the night. We have to struggle a bit to explain that while the offer is kind we're on a tight schedule and have to keep riding till nightfall in order to wrap up our trip in time.

View attachment 4

IranTrikeCrowds.jpg

On our 2nd day we were a little peopled out and just wanted some tranquility and solitude, so we hiked out in the middle of the plains to do some totally isolated camping.

IranCampingPlains.jpg

It seemed ideal at first, but then winds picked up. Initially I was grateful for the nice cooling breeze to take the heat off, but then it got sooo intense that our tent collapsed, the trike got blown over sideways, and we had one of our most difficult nights ever. At least the trike blew over in such a way that it was facing the morning sun

IranTrikeBlownOver.jpg

We're now readjusting our route plans somewhat based on the limited sun forecast for today and strong winds from the southeast. We'll be veering north to go right to the Azerbaijan border and then down along the coast to the city of Chalus, north of Tehran. It's about 50km more than our previous route plan but minimizes our total elevation gain (nearly 2000m less climbing required) which is good when the weather is cloudy, and it maximizes the time we get to spend on totally flat terrain beside the Caspian sea :)

IranRoutePlan.jpg

The absence of Google street view in Iran makes this part of the journey less clear to follow, but the satellite view certainly doesn't make Iran look like the most hospitable terrain to cycle through. Then there's the heat. Wondering how An-So is making out, given that she's required to wear way more clothing than she probably enjoys in that weather.

Wow, good thing nothing broke when the bike tipped over. Put some fan blades on one of the hub motors and you could use it as a windmill when the bike is parked (just kidding of course).

OK. So the way I see it they've got three more days on the road (a bit more than 600 km) to make it to Tehran. That seems doable but a little tough. Depending on their flight date and time, they've got a buffer of one or two days (Justin said they had eight days last Friday). So things are looking a little tight. Let's cross our fingers and toes and hope for lots-o-sunshine for the next few days. The current weather forecast looks favorable with clear skies and sunshine.

Well we were pretty much on the homerun stretch but conditions didn't quite work out as hoped. We had 270km of riding yesterday to get to Chalus and at the 150km point heavy clouds set in while the battery was only like 30% charged. Not a very ideal situation. We tried to push things through the night, dialing the motor power back to like 50 watts to stretch the juice out, moving slowly with lots of grunt, but decided around midnight that's not how we want to spend our last day. It would have involved ending at like 4am completely and utterly drained with still a lot of logistics to work out.

So now we're in a town west of Chalus and have a truck booked this afternoon to collect us and the trike and drive to Tehran. We had also been trying to push back our flight by several days to complete the journey right to the city but the airlines were all booked up unless we wanted to spend about $4000.

Obvious Conclusion: Touring on a solar-only charged ebike is a little bit like travelling by sailboat. You can't easily run on a fixed schedule of dates and locations, instead you take each day as the weather grants you, sometimes covering lots of ground and other times less so, ideally with a flexible arrival schedule!

fechter said:
Wow, good thing nothing broke when the bike tipped over. Put some fan blades on one of the hub motors and you could use it as a windmill when the bike is parked (just kidding of course).

Well, not far past this point where we camped we started seeing a number of windmill installations, and all of them were fixed with their blades pointing straight into the wind. When the winds are so strong that they shut down and lock the windmills to prevent them from being overpowered, then you better hope that the winds are at your back! In our case, they were head on, and we were consuming about 25 wh/km just to move forwards at about 20 kph. If those were tailwinds, we'd have been sailing at about 35 kph using probably 4-5 wh/km.

philf said:
Then there's the heat. Wondering how An-So is making out, given that she's required to wear way more clothing than she probably enjoys in that weather.

After some dehydration and feeling ill those first days things got better as we rose to higher elevations, generally around 1500-2000m, and the air was noticeably cooler. We also met and stayed with some wonderful people which cheered things up. After that we had an epic 2000 meter drop along the border with Azerbaijan to get down to the Caspian sea. Like literally along the border, with barbed wire fences and skulls/crossbone signage.

AzerbaijanBorder.jpg

On the other side the street was lined for km after km with vendors selling cups of fresh berries, jars of honey, and roasted corn. I had some notion that things would somehow be cool by the water but this is no pacific ocean like I'm used to, it is warm warm warm and humid too. Still nice to see nothing but water on a horizon.

View attachment 1

I had been annoyed at the clouds and headwinds as we approached the drop to the sea but in the end thank goodness for that; we started the descent with the battery at ~35V and arrived at the bottom sitting at 41.5V. That must be a record for the most regen energy captured in a single day on an ebike! Had it been sunny we'd have been fully charged half way down the mountain, lost our ability to do regen, and then probably burned through several pairs of disk pads.

Anyways while the cycling portion of this trip is now over for us, the trip postings here are not. Now that I don't have to spend most of my waking hours occupied with making forwards progress, I'll be able to fill in a lot more details about the trip and observations (technical and otherwise) about solar ebike travel. Plus I'll be following the progress on all the other teams who are still trucking their way along to China.

Impressively of all the 30 odd participants we left with us on that first day, only one has had to abandon the trip after experiencing mechanical failures on his solar trailer that made it impossible to travel through Russia before his visa would have expired. There are a lot of real troopers on this 2018 suntrip voyage and it'll be nice to relay some of their experiences here on ES too.

Well, Justin, I hope you guys aren't feeling any disappointment for not having made your (geographical) goal. Time is everybody's enemy - but considering that even the design of your vehicle was just an idea in your mind just a few months ago, and all that has gone into getting to this point, I think you should be really pleased. That last few hundred kilometers doesn't really mean much in the overall context of this feat.

And you guys haven't killed each other. There is that :). (I imagined an inner dialogue within An-So's head, were the trike to keep breaking down. "Who the @#*! designed this thing? Oh.")

So, CONGRATULATIONS, I say!

I got up this morning to check Google Earth as I've been doing for a few weeks now. The little icon hadn't moved. Oh no. Read the post and thought, "bummer."

But, of course, Philf has it right. Even though you didn't quite make your final goal, the trip was obviously wildly successful. As they say, it isn't the destination, its the journey. And that's a simple truth, not a tired cliche.

Congratulations you guys !

I've been lurking, watching your great success.
In a few weeks, I should be back in Vancouver .
I'm looking forward to being home & seeing you again.

Hugs all around.
-Karl

Warren said:
What an experience. You two will have amazing memories of your "honeymoon."
I think all couples should do that before getting married. It's a good way to test a relationship.

... and I'm only half-joking. :^)

Yehoo! We managed after all to get a postponed flight and so have had a few days to actually chill out and do touristy stuff for a nice change while we're here in Tehran.

Tourists.jpg

It also gave us a chance to ride around this massive city on the trike for a bit and do one last photo-op and media interview. We kept doing circles and circles around the Azadi tower while they followed us in cars and motorcycles filming to the point of dizzyness. Here's the last selfie photo of total friendly strangers with the trike

AzadiFinalSelfie.jpg

And at some point today or tomorrow we'll be on Iranian TV.

FinalMediaInterview.jpg

While we saw some number of bicycles in smaller towns on the way here, inside Tehran there hasn't been any. The expressions we've heard several times is that everyone think's they're Michael Shumacher on the road, more on a fluid racetrack than a city with intersections and traffic controls, and most people said it'd be suicide to ride I bike. But after this trip I felt oddly comfortable riding like that too.

We were really fortunate to have been hooked up with a small collection of people operating from a research institute who are attempting to do ebike and electric vehicle development work inside Iran. It's not an easy country logistically and politically to work from doing tech development like this. Plus the actual market situation is far from ideal with cheap gas, a depressed economy, and very little actual bike culture to launch from. But it's also the kind of place that could benefit so much from adopting ebikes in terms of pollution and congestion levels, and so I really admire the efforts here and wish them the best success.

View attachment 2

View attachment 3

Inside, you can see some of the collection of ebikes and scooters that they have built and prototyped over the years. The yellow sports car in the back was a student project that they made 10 years ago as part of an electric car competition that was held in Italy, and it was still in running condition. Probably more relevant to them though is the electric motorcycle that I'm sitting on here.

TehranWorkshop.jpg

While there isn't much of a bicycle culture, there is a huge contingent of gas 2 wheelers on the road so that is something that could see more immediate adoption. This prototype was built using a cluster of series/paralleled ebike batteries to provide a 72V nominal ~40Ah battery pack, running a 5kW motor. They have a 2nd one similar to this that is currently being field tested by one of the many motorcycle based delivery companies here.

IranMotorcycle.jpg

It rides really well and I'm hoping they can materialize it into a production item. This is a project that is partly the brainchild of Ali, the owner of a conversion kit shop in Canada (https://ebikebc.com/) who helped connect us to this group.

philf said:
Well, Justin, I hope you guys aren't feeling any disappointment for not having made your (geographical) goal.

Ha, there was like 2 minutes of that, and then it turned into pure elation when we realized we could be done and didn't actually have to keep riding until 4am with just 50 watts of assist! The trip for us had always been more about the adventure/touring side and experiencing the viability of solar bikes for that, rather than hitting a specific distance target. I mean it was fun to have daily goals and see where we were at vis-a-vis other suntrip racers, but that was never the reason we set out.

So, CONGRATULATIONS, I say!

Thank you, and to everyone else too who had been giving us good wishes right to the end. Both the solar trike and our relationship stayed largely in tact through all the ordeals, and the future for solar charged ebike touring is pretty bright.

Go Canada! Best vicarious trip in years! Thanks.

Hey Justin

What a fantastic trip! Sure an epic personal experience other than technical for you and Anne-Sophie.

Sadly I was not in Italy when you experienced the fantastic "ai pioppi" restaurant-park, I know Bruno and his works and would have been perfect to meet you again and re-visit "ai pioppi" at the same time.

Would like to set-up a vehicle for one of the next edition...maybe the 2019 alpine ring....

Thanks for sharing your tech and life experiences about solar biking, I'm sure this solar trip edition will be a milestone for the community.

Back