new eZip motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I walked about 5 miles tonight. I had to leave my own apartment after paying $650 for rent. I wanted to murder my downstairs neighbor.

Why ????

Because he disrespected me and did something I would never do to him. "treat others as you want to be treated" He was drinking and I straight. He came up drunk and wanting to argue with someone. I was not in a good mood and stated "Now is not the time. I really do not feel like an argument. I was already in a bad mood and mad at someone else. He failed to listen and continued running his pie hole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkFqg5wAuFk

When I started losing control I removed myself from the situation. The injustice is it should have been the other way around. He was in my house. Not vice versa. I felt like doing extreme violence but he is like a brother to me and he has a family.

I know I did the right thing really but hope I can continue this here but am old and getting tired of all of it. I need out of New York. They don't like e bikes here anyway.

Thanks for being a friend. All of you. I can easily handle a little constructive criticism. But the blatant disrespect I suffer here where I live from so called friends continues to infuriate me. The dude knows I have a heart condition. I have an aneurysm and leaky valve (backflow) That is no way to treat a friend.

You guys are my best friends. I am of superior intelligence than everyone I know except you guys here on ES. I learn positive things from you all. Here where I live I just learn how to hate. That is not good. Thanks again.

LC out.

PS. Only the quiet helps. Why I sleep all day. I stay awake until everyone sleeps then finally sleep and hold my ol lady and 6 to 9 hours in an air conditioned room. The most peaceful moments of my life until I awake and have to deal with another day of other peoples BS.

I am considered by my family to be lazy and live off the system. I am 53 and collect free money from the government. People can't understand me. They think different I guess. They don't think about the PAT TRUE guy who hired me when I got out of prison and met my ol lady back in 1997. He called me Gomer. and talked down to me. Called me names. In front of the other workers for his amusement.

I bench pressed 375 back then and 315 for 6 times. Fresh out of prison. Job was $5 bucks an hour and the guy owed me 30 bucks. He had a flat tire and was behind him. No one else on the road. It Haunts me daily a I wanted to bash his head in with tire iron but instead I helped him and quit the job. Took partial pay and did without. I lost my car, No insurance money. I wanted to be with my ol lady more than I wanted blood.. He owes me $35. I want my money. Dude was from Redhook. Kingston area. He better p[ray to his higher power I never see him.

I worked dish washing over 10 years. Was the scapegoat. everything was blamed on me and was yelled at for dishes as took to long unclogging their toilets.. Yes I could probably physically work today at 53. However may impose a safety threat/hazard to a boss/employer who chooses to disrespect me and talk down.

I am only human and have limitations. They have been pushed about as far as possible without tragic results. Unfortunately I guess other people can't accept that. I thank you all for accepting me for who I am.

LC out.

My life has taken a different path to yours.

Born to an immigrant family in Sydney. Grew up poor, but my parents valued education.

Picked on a shit load: for being asian, being small, and being smart/driven. Eventually, I decided a successful life was the only revenge I could get on them. Trying to solve anything with my fists would have only ended up hurting me.

A lot of my life, I needed respect too. To make up for all the disrespect and the constant bullying. So I worked my ass off to earn that respect. 70 hour weeks, always first to put the hand up for the tough jobs. Got promoted fast. Bought expensive cars, strutted around in Versace and Armani, shouted friends to expensive dinners and drinks show off my success. Hell, I bought a round of $70 bourbons once. That's $70 a shot, not a bottle. 25 years old, from Kentucky. I couldn't even taste it. It just burned my throat on the way down (I don't normally drink spirits).

One day, I realised it didn't matter any more. I knew who I was. I didn't need to prove anything to anyone. I rarely get picked on any more. Not never. There are still d*** heads out there. But usually the limit of it is a quick insult back and move on. I've figured those that want to bring strangers down are usually at rock bottom themselves and want to drag others down with them.

But screw em. I know who I am, and I'm happy with that person. I'm happily married, two healthy kids, enough money to never have to worry about it and enough to have anything I want - just not everything I want. If someone wants to disrespect me, it's nothing on me. There's nothing he can say, that I would believe, that would cause me lose any respect for myself. And I don't need his respect.

It's a heavy burden, trying to earn respect. And when it's so hard won, someone trying to disrespect you is serious. It's like if someone stole $10k from Bill Gates. He probably wouldn't care. But for someone on the minimum wage, they'd probably risk their life to get it back.

A lot of people mistake bravado for self-respect. They think if they can convince themselves that they are the greatest, then they'll have the peace of real self-respect. But they're still trying to prove it. They get angry when someone disrespects them. They're always trying to do one better for themselves.

That's my journey. Figure your own out. You play your cards right, and another 30 years isn't out of the realm of possibility. That'll only bring you to the median life expectancy. 30 years is a long time. You want them to be angry and anxious?

Thank you SUNDER.

It helps to hear from a real friend.

No doubt you have been my friend a long time now.

LC out.

Good that you walked away. You were musing about physics earlier which brought to my mind the scientist Richard Feynman. The title of his second book of collected essays may have some value to you. It is a question his wife asked him while she was dying from tuberculosis.

"What do you care what other people think?"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_Do_You_Care_What_Other_People_Think%3F

IMO, it is a good question to ask of oneself when being bothered by the opinions of others.

Richard Feynman received the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1965 for his contributions to the development of quantum electrodynamics.

That was the year I was born.

It is a new day. I am having coffee at 6:29 PM. EST.

Going to my e mail and see if anything was delivered. I got the 4 new Samsung packs coming any day as well as the soldering iron and two BMSs.

Another reason I did not want to hit the guy downstairs. He holds my packages so nobody steals them. I buy him a six pack for each item usually. Especially a motor or battery pack. If it is something small like a controller it will fit in my mail box :D Thanks.

LC out.

View attachment 4

As the Hub Motor Turns and the LiPo Fire Burns. Just like Christmas morning.

When I grew up in my late teens Early 20s my friend I went thru school with used to order a lot of stuff thru the mail order catalogs.

BIG stuff. He was inspired by Arnold Schwarzenegger, Lou Ferrigno and the Ultimate Warrior on WWE formally the WWF.

He had a complete gym set up similar to Golds gym in his basement by his mid 20s :lol: He used to say how he felt like a kid on Christmas day every time a package arrived. Lord only knows how much it cost to ship all that stuff. :lol:

I am now going to open the box. :lol: Thanks.

The one pack on bottom left is loose and needs to be wrapped. I still got to test voltage but for now put them back in the box as there is Dougs 6 year old hyper kid running around here.

DAN sent the controller awhile back. I think he said it is 500 watts. Was hoping for 750 or 800. I want to build another dual motor bike. The 20" hub motor on the front and Unite motor on the back with my 36 volt brush controller. Will the brushless controller work as I want to put it to use. Thanks.

LC out.

Attachments

• IMG_3733.JPG
    IMG_3733.JPG
    182.5 KB · Views: 1,236
  • IMG_3734.JPG
    IMG_3734.JPG
    179.2 KB · Views: 1,234
  • IMG_3735.JPG
    IMG_3735.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 1,234
  • IMG_3736.JPG
    IMG_3736.JPG
    159.9 KB · Views: 1,234
parallel cable.png

I do not want to cut off the XT-60 connectors like I did the SONA packs !!!

It would be great if that cable ended with a 4 MM bullet with the male bullet being positive like all the other packs I built but am sure I can solder and shrink wrap the bullet and do a great job.

The SONA packs are still good so am in no big rush but still do not want to wait a month with slooooooww shipping from China.

I searched e bay and Amazon and do not see it. Only the one from China.

If anyone has the link please let me know. Thanks.

LC out.

I just made my own. It is more trouble than buying pre-made and probably just as expensive or even more so. But it was faster for me at the time.

Yes.

I am cutting off all the XT-60 connectors and soldering the bullet plugs on.

Should get the shrink wrap in a few days.

latecurtis said:
It would be great if that cable ended with a 4 MM bullet with the male bullet being positive like all the other packs I built but am sure I can solder and shrink wrap the bullet and do a great job.
So much work ... and reliability-safety lost by removing XT60 and adding Bullets! ... sigh ...

latecurtis said:
Untitled.png

Yes.

I am cutting off all the XT-60 connectors and soldering the bullet plugs on.

Should get the shrink wrap in a few days.

I would keep the XT60s and make a short adapter cable for connecting to a system that has a different connector type. That's what I've done on my bike and what I've done while using my batteries to trouble shoot a friend's bike. On my bike I have short little adapters so that I can use an XT90 anti-spark connector. My friend's bike used Deans plugs. So I made two adapters for each gender to use while troubleshooting that bikes issues.

I have found the XT60s very reliable and the XT90 anti-spark connectors seem to be working well also.

OK.

I will order a cable which has 4 male XT-60 plugs going to a single XT-60 plug and just cut off the single plug and add a bullet.

There are several which could be delivered in a week but are four female to one male and all the packs have female plugs.

It is a lot better and less work than cutting the XT-60 plugs off each pack. Also making any chance of return impossible if something is wrong with one of the packs.

I trust bullets. I used to fear them a while ago but been using them awhile now. In fact I accidentally plugged the hot from the SONA packs into the wire with the fuse and the switch about a week ago and then plugged that into the other negative instead the positive of the controller.

It caused a big spark and melted both plugs but I did not get a shock. The packs were alright I ran them the same night and again since then.

OK. I am doing it with three parallel cables instead of one. The two males will end in a female XT-60. two cables will combine all four packs leaving two females which will plug into a third cable and the end of the third cable will have a 4MM bullet.

I don't have to cut the plugs off any of the packs just the third cable and then shrink wrap to make it look like a factory cable. They will be here in three days. I ordered from that vendor before. Thanks.

LC out.

But doncha see? That's one of the benefits of an XT60 (and others) setup . Once you set up the connectors correctly, you can't goof up when making connections. That possibility is completely prevented by good design and implementation to begin with.

If it were me, I'd be more inclined to standardize on one connector type that will guarantee both polarity and supply/load connections cannot be mismatched. XT60s and XT90s with spark control do that for me. (OK, I guess that's two types, but ya get the point.) But there are other good (and maybe better) schemes as well. My friends Deans connectors seemed just fine for his 250 watt bike.

And once again, I wouldn't cut the XT60 off of the pigtail. I'd wire up a bullet to XT60 adapter.

cable.png

Yes I thought about the fact that I will need to charge each pack separate before combining them.

Unfortunately all my controllers have female 4 MM bullets which are positive and plug in to male 4 MM bullets coming from the battery.

I will have to switch plugs around.

Yes I see what you are saying about the XT-60 connectors being idiot proof. However I have 6 e bikes and all 6 controllers are wired the same. I would have to switch them all to XT-60s. I am not wanting to do that now.

As for the mistake I got colored electrical tape and just need to use it so red plugs in to red and black to black so I don't screw up again. Thanks for posting.

LC out.

I am not a fan of adaptors. In fact, I'm not even a fan of connectors unless I really need them.

Every connection is a potential point of failure and of resistance (especially over time through oxidization). Adaptors just add two more where you don't really need them with a bit of work and planning.

If I must use connectors, then I choose ones that make sure I CAN'T make a mistake, not that I just won't. I.e. colour coding is not enough. We're all human. I consider myself a careful, diligent individual. But I know even I make mistakes when I am in a rush, distracted or just plain tired.

Keep things simple. I have a massive array of things that need connecting. Originally, I wanted one per use case, but I ran out of connectors before I ran out of use cases, so I did it by voltage - I.e. so worst case scenario, nothing will die:

1. PP45s for ~12v. This is mostly my Imax B8 charger, and other loose odds and ends.
2. Anderson SB50 for 24v. Mostly my solar system on the panel side. On the Use side, I use ring terminals on 0000AWG "cables"
3. XT90 for 48v - Mostly eBikes
4. Anderson SB120 for 12v @ 100a - Only for my electric car to Inverter connection
5. Anderson SB175 for 150 @ 150a - Only for my electric motorcycle.

Note that all of these, when assembled correctly, are polarity protected. None of them can be accidentally reversed.

Sunder said:
I am not a fan of adaptors. In fact, I'm not even a fan of connectors unless I really need them.

Sure. But when you need flexibility in changing your configurations easily they have their place. The XT60 to XT90 adapter I made to use on my ebike will eventually be replaced when I do some re-wiring. But for now it adds convenience.

Bought some (3) hoverboard packs for a neighbor, made a 3p XT60 string. (13.2Ah)
Female on end for charger, 3 male for packs and female on other end for connection to controller.
Likes so much as replacement for old LiFe pack that he had me order 5 more.
Will make up an additional 5p XT60 string.
Female on end for charger, 5 male for packs and female on other end for connection to controller. (22Ah)
Will Build 12ga XT60 parallel to join for 35.2Ah.

Every connection is a potential point of failure and of resistance (especially over time through oxidization). Adaptors just add two more where you don't really need them with a bit of work and planning.

My fear of failure is they may disconnect. Not oxidization. I will wrap electrical tape around the plugs.

We're all human. I consider myself a careful, diligent individual. But I know even I make mistakes when I am in a rush, distracted or just plain tired.

Yes. I agree with that. I was distracted and poor lighting caused me to fry out my plugs last week. It was a direct short. :oops:

I will use the color coded electrical tape to fix. Too much work to rewire system and definitely cant solder XT-60 connectors. Already ordered some and tried a few years ago and failed miserably.

Thanks.

LC out.

You really should practice soldering!
It is a simple basic skill that is essential for most electrical work.

If you would only listen ... I, and others, have posted links to proper soldering irons kits (bargain priced but of sufficient capability) and specified the included tip, best for your applications.
For some inexplicable reason, you keep purchasing irons with thin pencil tips that can not maintain-transfer sufficient heat to perform a proper solder "weld" on your projects.
Those pencil tips are not designed for heavy wire or battery casings, they are for thin wire and light electronic components!
(Like hunting Bear with a 22, not the right tool for the job!)
Looks like you melt solder onto your projects thinking solder is some type of glue!?

Worse, perhaps, from your video, looks like your tip is "burnt" with a carbon(?) crust on it, (too hot or hot for too long) which further insulates against heat transfer and won't even allow you to bead solder on tip!

Recommend you review basic soldering principles.
Spending an hour learning could have saved you years of frustration!

One thing I do when soldering connectors is to plug them into a mate connector of the opposite gender - preferably one that has copper wires already attached. That minimizes the risk of the terminal I'm soldering getting hot enough to melt the plastic plug by providing a heat sink and also supports the connector in the proper position if I do screw up and get the metal too hot.
If soldering XT60s is a problem, you can buy them with the wires pre-soldered.

https://www.amazon.com/Connector-Sheath-Housing-Silicon-Battery/dp/B075ZPGTKH/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1531505716&sr=8-6&keywords=xt60

If you would only listen ... I, and others, have posted links to proper soldering irons kits (bargain priced but of sufficient capability) and specified the included tip, best for your applications.
For some inexplicable reason, you keep purchasing irons with thin pencil tips that can not maintain-transfer sufficient heat to perform a proper solder "weld" on your projects.

Not sure how I did the solder job the other night. I guess it was luck.

The new iron will not work regardless what type of tip you use. It is not about the tip. A larger tip would just burn more insulation off the top of the cell surely causing a short circuit and a fire. It is about the top of the cell. At lease the positive side. The solder simply will not stick. Also have read up on the subject and the heat causes internal damage to the cells. Not supposed to be in contact with the cell for more than a second.

I know the solder does not stick as I tried it on several cells. It doesn't stick. It also damages the insulation on the top of the cell. I will need to order liquid electrical tape if I were to continue working with the LG cells. I feel like just throwing them into the garbage along with the VRUZEND kit. I have enough batteries now once my cables come in.

I will probably order two 10.0 - 6S Multi-stars next month to meet my 48 volt - 12S needs.

One thing I do when soldering connectors is to plug them into a mate connector of the opposite gender - preferably one that has copper wires already attached.

Why solder plugs when I am getting ones which will plug in and are simple. I can plug them in and wrap a piece of electrical tape around each connection and call it a day. Thanks.

LC out.

latecurtis said:
Why solder plugs when I am getting ones which will plug in and are simple. I can plug them in and wrap a piece of electrical tape around each connection and call it a day. Thanks.

LC out.

Why indeed? But I thought you were discussing how to solder to XT60s and some difficulties you were having. If not, no problem.

Also, I stayed out of it, but it is generally not recommended that you solder to 18650 lithium cells because the risk of damage is high. I assumed you knew that but were gonna do it anyway. I suggest against throwing anything away that might be usable simply because you don't have a use right now.

latecurtis said:
DrkAngel said:

The new iron will not work regardless what type of tip you use. It is not about the tip. A larger tip would just burn more insulation off the top of the cell surely causing a short circuit and a fire. It is about the top of the cell. At lease the positive side. The solder simply will not stick. Also have read up on the subject and the heat causes internal damage to the cells. Not supposed to be in contact with the cell for more than a second.

I know the solder does not stick as I tried it on several cells. It doesn't stick. It also damages the insulation on the top of the cell. ...
Damn, I must be some sort of magician!
I've soldered to hundreds, possibly 1000+, of all brands of cells LG, Samsung, Sony, Sanyo and multitudes of others ... with nary a mishap or failed solder connection!

Can't be some secret, I've lessoned you exactly how I do it ... Must be magic!!!

Thank you Wtuber.

There are videos which show that it can be done but I am in 100% agreement with you that the damage risk is simply too high. I watched several videos which show the internal heat generated when soldering which can damage the cells.

I had limited success a week ago soldering the cells but also melted the insulation on the top of the cells.

Unfortunately I still have two BMS coming any day now. I suppose I could use the VRUZEND kits but will limit me to 280 watts total 40 cells in parallel. 4 rows of 10. actually 2 rows of 10 with a BMS in parallel with the same.

I could build my own 18650 cell holder but would require some time and work. The pictures show the design but would still need some type of glue around the center and each cell to keep them straight. I may or may not do it. I probably will at some point in time but am looking at two 6S - 10.0 Multi stars and will have the four Genuine Samsung packs ready as soon as the cables show up.

280 watts would be my maximum draw both packs in parallel without melting the caps. It would work on trips downtown but only with Easy street as it is aggressive pedal assist and the geared hub motor is very efficient.

I would then need to switch to the SONA or Samsung packs for the trip back home going up hills. It sounds like too much trouble when I can simply run all four Sansung packs in parallel. Thanks.

LC out.

Attachments

• 18650 kit.png
    18650 kit.png
    204.4 KB · Views: 1,093
latecurtis said:
Thank you Wtuber.

There are videos which show that it can be done but I am in 100% agreement with you that the damage risk is simply too high. I watched several videos which show the internal heat generated when soldering which can damage the cells.

I simply said it was risky. Whether the risk is too high or not is a whole 'nuther issue and is up to the individual to decide. But if it is something you'd like to do, then I'd suggest getting some old laptop or other "sacrificial" cells that you don't care much about and practice until you have the routine down. That way you reduce the risk of damaging more valuable cells.

Most things are achievable by most people if they are simply willing to:

1) Be coached and learn from others.
2) Practice
3) Practice some more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back