Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

I’m throwing 18s on the stock controller today. Will report back.

Rix said:
Allex said:

Thank you field weakening.

It's like nitrous for EV top end power bands, but has the lamest name ever for how awesome it is.

liveforphysics said:
Rix said:
Allex said:

It's like nitrous for EV top end power bands, but has the lamest name ever for how awesome it is.

To be honest i cant understand that a company that have 30M USD to invest choose the brand name "Sur Ron". Who choose that name?

For the Chinese market im sure thats not a big problem, but if you are serius and gonna make your own brand, just choose something you can stand next to without need to explain.

liveforphysics said:
[e=Rix post_id=1393886 time=1531260175 user_id=26076]
[qe=Allex post_id=1393853 time=1531250966 user_id=23342]Yup![

[/quote]

That was so eloquently stated, it almost brought tears to my eyes...almost. Well said Luke.

It's hard to keep up with this fasting moving topic, so apologies if this has already been covered, but it seems the Suron has been cloned....
[youtube]z-zxR_MRmtc[/youtube]

Anyone have any background on the 'VIAR e cross' bike?

brumbrum said:
It's hard to keep up with this fasting moving topic, so apologies if this has already been covered, but it seems the Suron has been cloned....

Probably come out of the same 'factory' in China, probably the exact same bikes, only difference being the 'brand name' - given the population of Indonesia, they probably asked for their own brand and the manufacturers perhaps allow 'white labeling'.

stonezone said:
I’m throwing 18s on the stock controller today. Will report back.

The main caps and voltage regulator are rated for 80v. No clue what the FETs are.

If you get an overvoltage error, it may be possible to spoof the controller by lowering the ignition line voltage.

brumbrum wrote:

I like the front fender and the rear shock shield. The front fender looks just like my Honda 70 fender that I thought looked good.
If anyone knows where to buy that VIAR e cross stuff I would like to know.

It's the same bike. I can't wait for the big suspension and the ASI 8000 controller I am doing. I just wish I weighed a buck twenty
because it still comes down to power to weight in the end. (with skills)

My interest in electric drives was piqued with the Light Bee introduction. As I slowly move towards a machine like this I have somehow ended up with a pair of 2011 Zero X motos. How might these compare to the lighter Sur Ron in trail ride conditions? I'm mostly satisfied with the Zeroes except for the wooden suspension and limited throttle control characteristics ( cannot loft the front wheel). Added bonus for the Zero is the ability to get a street title.

18s works fihe on stock controller, 20s anyone?

i'm jonesing for that new controller...

stonezone said:

I think 20s would be asking for smoke as you might be 84v at full charge and some of the parts are rated for 80v. We still have no idea what FETs are being used either.

fechter said:
stonezone said:

I think 20s would be asking for smoke as you might be 84v at full charge and some of the parts are rated for 80v. We still have no idea what FETs are being used either.

If you're into exploring the limits and don't mind potentially blowing parts up, it would be awesome to test if the stock controller takes 20s. :)

Working on the front mudgaurd mount as I wanted a full mudguard closer to the tyre.

Looks OK just need to try it out once the paint on the rear mudguard mount dries and I can mount the rear mudguard.

Bracket 1.jpg
Bracket 2.jpg

Decided the firefly deserved some upgrades, so I installed big boy forks(Marzocchi super monster - 12" travel). The extra length/height had a profound impact on the steering angle(and steering, of course...almost stuffed it in a tight corner), so I decided to lift the rear as well. After some thought, I determined that a new linkage member was the easiest way, so I tweaked the stock dimensions a bit for extra height out back on the new unit. While I was at it, I installed a 225mm front rotor and Hayes caliper...stoppies now possible. An upgraded rear shock, longer kickstand and possibly slightly extended swingarm are now on my wish list(along with more power/speed). Bike is coming along nicely. Need to reduce picture size so I can post them. :)

here are a few pics - note the linkage is a prototype (decided yesterday morning to make it, so it was designed and built in a day - will ultimately install needle bearings in place of the Delrin bushings, though they should hold up for a bit - ordered the needle bearings and made the bushings to the same OD). The modified geometry should yield just about .5" more travel out back, too. The wheelbase is a little longer as well(51.5" +/-).

Attachments

• side view lifted.jpg
    side view lifted.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 2,321
Just about 13" of ground clearance with the new lift - also a picture with the new forks, but no linkage - chopped out(front wheel on lower ground, too - it was worse than the picture shows). :)

Attachments

• webforksnolinkage.jpg
    webforksnolinkage.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 2,314
So, who's riding on the street with the pedal kit? Has anyone been stopped?

I'm building a hub motor ebike now to use on the road and I'm already $3k in and it's not going to turn out as nice as the Sur Ron...

rcmonstermike said:
Just about 13" of ground clearance with the new lift - also a picture with the new forks, but no linkage - chopped out(front wheel on lower ground, too - it was worse than the picture shows). :)

Can you measure your head angle? It can be done with a phone app, just make sure to calibrate it.

28.4 degrees....about .3 degrees less than my electricmoto blade(28.7), which uses the same forks, and identical to my ktm 350xcf. Didn't calibrate, but the 3 bikes show apples to apples comparison.

rcmonstermike said:
Very nicely done Mike, thats impressive you designed that linkage in a day. I my uncle Norman Kouba is the owner/founder/producer of KoubaLink. Another distant relative of mine owns YamaLink. It amazes me how much design goes into a simple "linkage" modification. Delron bushings are actually really awesome, provided water and dirt can be kept away from them. On your rear linkage, what kind of increase travel to shock ratio did you get? I am guessing since you added about 12.54mm of over all travel increase, its not significant. Worst case scenario is you go to a 500# spring on the shock. So, with the MOnster T up front, got a ride report for us yet?

rcmonstermike said:
28.4 degrees....about .3 degrees less than my electricmoto blade(28.7), which uses the same forks, and identical to my ktm 350xcf. Didn't calibrate, but the 3 bikes show apples to apples comparison.

So 90-28.4=61.6 to the ground! That is some serious slack there. Downhill bikes don't go lower than 63. :lol:

Rix said:
Very nicely done Mike, thats impressive you designed that linkage in a day. I my uncle Norman Kouba is the owner/founder/producer of KoubaLink. Another distant relative of mine owns YamaLink. It amazes me how much design goes into a simple "linkage" modification. Delron bushings are actually really awesome, provided water and dirt can be kept away from them. On your rear linkage, what kind of increase travel to shock ratio did you get? I am guessing since you added about 12.54mm of over all travel increase, its not significant. Worst case scenario is you go to a 500# spring on the shock. So, with the MOnster T up front, got a ride report for us yet?

I have a Kouba Lowering link on my KTM(being a man of short stature). :)
To be fair, I whipped up a quickie - if I was ramping something up for production, I would spend a fair bit more time setting things up. I use Delrin a fair amount - made a Delrin lowering bushing on my KTM 525 years ago and it held up great, so I am not too worried about the Longevity(plus, I can make another pair quicker than I can remove the link from the bike. The link yields around .2" less travel over a 45 degree rotation - hardly noticeable on the bike, though I added a couple clicks to the compression and 2 turns on the preload in anticipation of a little more leverage. Aside from the initial run on Friday(I installed the forks Friday) when the bike had a fair amount of push(ie: turns like a school bus), I haven't got a lot of time on it - just made it yesterday and installed it last night - and it rained here, so I am in no hurry to slosh it around just yet. That said, I have had Super Monster Forks on the Blade for years - they work well.

Back