Bike prices..... WTF?

Chalo said:
The point is, don't trust racers when they tell you what works. They are contractually obligated to be shills whether they like it or not.
Yep. But the racers that win, in general, have the combination of equipment/training/attitude/perseverance that works. And those people, more and more often, are using discs.

Technology advances, and as it does, older systems are often discarded. It doesn't mean that the old technology doesn't work, or is bad, or is no longer viable. It just means that the newer technology has a few advantages that make it worth adopting.

One thing you can trust, is that racers are all there for winning. You can feed them shit, but no shit that would compromise their chances to win. The bike manufacturers are also there to win, for the value of their brand name.

One could say as well: Don’t trust bike mechanics, their only concern is to have bikes to repair, preferably often, simple and easy. If bike mechanics would be racing in mountain trails, they would have a different opinion, about brakes and suspension especially.

ScooterMan101 said:
saying he likes how the Disc Brakes feel and start working much faster on the down hills than the rim brakes that was used on the Race bikes just a year or so ago on the big tours .

You downhill race with your eBike? Seriously. All this blathering yet most of use don't NEED downhill racing brakes. I'd be willing to guess that a vast majority have never taken their bike to a MSF Safety course and actually tested their baking ability. My Tektro V brakes with their new Grey eBike pads will out perform many discs. Now if you have an LR mid drive beast, well, maybe another story. But again. I don't need Maserati brakes on my Toyota Corolla, unless I'm a braggadocios butt head.

lionman said:
tomjasz said:
My Tektro V brakes with their new Grey eBike pads will out perform many discs.

until the rim gets wet/muddy

Wet?OK Muddy, the streets are paved. Everyone seems to want a definitive use or situation. One size does not fit all. And my discs BB7 sucking mud.

I can ride the trails 2 seasons average with a Hope rotor. I use 2 rims per wheel/season average, because I don’t care much about dings and small dents. I often use a rubber hammer to correct the rim when trueing my wheels. Now guess how many rims I would use with rim brakes, and how many rides I would have to finish with shit brakes because of rim damage.

On the street I could live with rim brakes even though I’d miss the comfort of light finger control. Sure not for those times I push the bike well above 50mph, or during dirty winter months. Sure not for those times I don’t care for my rims and ride the stairs or jump curbs.

Finally, rim brakes are not for me. Even cheap disc brakes are not for me. I can’t afford to go cheap with brakes, I would pay them anyway in rims, skin and bones.

My experience matches Madrhino's - rim brakes stop just fine...if they aren't wet, and the rim is true and ding free. I commuted thirty miles a day in Seattle for years, wet rims were more common than dry ones, and rims don't stay true long on city streets, even running tire widths over 1.5".

Disks rule on a commuter bike seeing a lot of wet miles on city streets .

Back