Chaos 48v 1600w scooter upgrade / mods log

Tj1990

10 mW
Hi

Bought this scooter broke (chaos 1600w 48v) and i was told it needed new controller (but after testing with a multi metre it was just the throttle) and it's working now 😀But before I start upgrades such as lipos and better controller ect, Im having problems with motor getting very hot within a mile or so (58c) I've dropped the motor sprocket from 13t to 10t and still gets to 50c+ quickly I'm not sure if this is normal temps for 1600w boma motor. I'm using original sla batts, the gearing at the minute is 10 -54, any help would be much appreciated.

I've done afew things to the scooter since I've had it like fitted speedo, lights, motor temp gauge, battery % read out, volt metre, mtb rear brake calliper ,re wired everything and water proofed battery bay.

Will upload some pics asap

See if you can post a picture of the scooter. Is the motor brushed or brushless?

Any idea what your top speed is with the present setup? Gearing lower will help with the motor heating but there might be some other problem. Most typical things are low tire pressure or dragging brakes.

Hi fechter

can upload pics tomorrow.

The motor is brushless but has no info on it and the scooter rolls freely with no resistance from brakes, tyre pressure is good. I'm currently getting 27mph on level ground.

Thanks for the reply
Todd

Temperary (cheap) fan cooling system that's working for now but abit noisy lol, I had afew broken mini drones about so I took a motor and propeller from 1 and a big plastic bottle abit of tinkering and it works and runs on 2 AA batts 😀. It's keeping my motor bellow 40c at the moment.

Ill look into a better solution for cooling, but for now this is working

Nice.

27mph is pretty fast and takes a lot of power to fight wind resistance, so your motor heating seems reasonable. The fan is the right idea but there may be better ways to implement. If the motor is brushless, most of the heat will be coming off the sides of the housing, so anything that gets air moving along the sides will help. The motor cover/rear fender does not look like it will help with air flow.

If you want to blow air through the motor end holes, a centrifugal type blower will be much more effective than an axial fan. With old style brushed motors, this was much more effective than cooling the outside housing since the copper was not in contact with the housing. With a brushless inrunner motor, you might do well by just blowing air over the outside of the motor, but if you can get a lot of air moving through the stator, it will be even better.

40C isn't bad at all. I would start to worry around 60C.

Thanks for the advise

I think I'm going to try some kind of heat sink material to go around the motor and different fan to blow through the side plate, i was thinking of attaching a rubber pipe/ pipes to a centrifugal fan going to the vent holes on the motor side plate but that's just an idea lol

I'm ordering 4 4s lipos soon, I'll use it 12s at 1st then add the extra battery when I get a better controller, I'm guessing motor temperature is going to be a issue with more volts/ Amps but we will see

Here's a picture of my old brushed motor with flow through cooling. On the opposite side it just has 8 holes that look like yours.

BlowerInlet.JPG

The blower was a 24v centrifugal blower which can move a lot of air though a fairly small hole. A small dc-dc converter powered the blower.

blowerAssembly.JPG

Cooling fins on the outside of your motor will help a lot, especially if you get some good air flow. For external fins, you can use a more common axial fan instead of a blower.

Very nice mate

That looks similar to what I was thinking, I already have a dc-dc converter that I bought for my other scooter but never used I just need to get the other bits: centrafugal blower, rubber hoses and some kind of threaded pluming nipple so I can just put threads on the vent holes to fit for the pipes.

Then I'll fit heat sink with a fan if temps gets too high on 16s.

Thanks for your input fechter, much appreciated

I used some short pieces of copper pipe and just used epoxy to stick them on for the hose nipples (what I had in the junk box at the time).

You want to maintain the largest diameter that's practical in the hose and fittings. When the blower is running, you want to be able to feel a good breeze coming out of the exhaust end.

Thanks for the advice mate, I can only feel a slight breeze with my drone cooler lol but that will change when the new 12v blower arrives in the next few days 😀.

Il add some pics when I've done all the pipe work, just got to figure out where it's all gunna go lol

You really want it to feel like a hair dryer on high. On my scooter, the blower fit in the battery compartment which also helped keep dirt and rain away from the intake.

Looking good Todd, keep up the good work. im running 10-54 on my Chaos 48v scooter and it gets warm but not to hot that you cant touch it. Im a fat sod and this gearing worked out fine for me so i would say don't worry about it. To help air flow remove the motor end case and pull out the wire mesh and enlarge the holes this might help a bit but i cant see you having any issues with it as it is. IMO

My advice is to ditch the SLAs and go LIPO you will be shocked on the difference. its a plug and play solution. i take it your aiming for 16/ 20s? so why not buy 3 x 4s 16000mah multistar packs for now as you can wire these up to the stock controller with no issue! then when you have a new controller you can by more 4s packs and then you can over volt the boma motor as much as you like. Then when you are ready or have killed the Boma you can get an new motor.
these seem to be good and come recommended to me...................https://alienpowersystem.com/shop/b...ensored-outrunner-brushless-motor-80kv-6000w/

Im told it can take many more volts and amps (im going to run 82v up to 80Amps with mine (EG please correct the Amps if i'm wrong), gives up to 2.5/3 times as much torque as the 1600w boma motor and is smaller too ! so if it can move my fat ass to 45-50mph which will be frightening im sure this would do you well?

Thanks Dan

My motor gets that hot I can't touch it lol it recently got to 60c+

My plan is to get the motor to run at a reasonable temp before I put the lipos in, I'm fitting a blower type fan with rubber tubing going into the side of the motor casing (waiting for parts still) hopefully this will help.

Il be running 12s by the end of next month, ordering 3 4s 16000mah multistars 😀

I see afew people on here using them alien motors with great results so I think thats what I'll be upgrading to when my motor dies.

drc said:
Looking good Todd, keep up the good work. im running 10-54 on my Chaos 48v scooter and it gets warm but not to hot that you cant touch it. Im a fat sod and this gearing worked out fine for me so i would say don't worry about it. To help air flow remove the motor end case and pull out the wire mesh and enlarge the holes this might help a bit but i cant see you having any issues with it as it is. IMO

My advice is to ditch the SLAs and go LIPO you will be shocked on the difference. its a plug and play solution. i take it your aiming for 16/ 20s? so why not buy 3 x 4s 16000mah multistar packs for now as you can wire these up to the stock controller with no issue! then when you have a new controller you can by more 4s packs and then you can over volt the boma motor as much as you like. Then when you are ready or have killed the Boma you can get an new motor.
these seem to be good and come recommended to me...................https://alienpowersystem.com/shop/b...ensored-outrunner-brushless-motor-80kv-6000w/

Im told it can take many more volts and amps (im going to run 82v up to 80Amps with mine (EG please correct the Amps if i'm wrong), gives up to 2.5/3 times as much torque as the 1600w boma motor and is smaller too ! so if it can move my fat ass to 45-50mph which will be frightening im sure this would do you well?

Sorry to bump such an old post but with the lipo packs I assume you dont use the standard chaos charger. the lipos have to be charged off the scoot? id love to ditch the SLA batteries. Thanks.

Chaos 48V 1600w off road scooter

Hi I was wondering if I could make my scooter faster and what I would need for that.
Any recommendations please?

Hi I'm new to this,

I have just purchased a 1000w 48v chaos hub drive scooter and was wondering if there is anything I can do to make it faster than stock.

I've seen people say there is a restricter on them new which I can understand, but where do I find this to take it off?

Hi just wondering if this same thing applies for the 48v 1000w hub drive version? I would like to make mine faster than stock but don't know how to. I understand that with making it faster I will lose battery power faster but I'm going to be upgrading to lithium batteries to suit the power once I've de restricted it.

Back