Mongoose CX 450 Builds

EvoBikeShop said:
I decided to start a build thread, so here i go. Just picked up a mogoose cx 450, it was pretty ragged when I got it. So i tore it down and greased all the bearings, installed some cheapo forks and rear shock from a doner genesis v2100. The v2100 stuff will have to do for now. It was missing most of the plastics when delivered, but its ok cause i was going to ditch em anyway. I was going to go 48v but decided to go 36v instead because i want to intergrate a 36v led headlight to the battery system. Next month I will be setting it up for right side drive only using cyclone components but will be sticking with a currie motor and controller.
hi evo,did you know that AFT do a currie to mid drive conversion plate?
http://www.af-tech.com.au/Products_Ebikes.html
if you have any questions email jim at AFT

Hey guys just bought this bike off Craigslist and knew nothing about it till I started looking around on the internet. The one I bought doesn't have a battery or a motor or any electrical components for that matter. I bought this bike cause it looked cool but now that I know it's meant for electric driving I want to restore this bad boy to its formal glory. Idk if there are still active members who work on this thread but I would really like some insight on what motor to get and what batteries to buy. I only know a little about the electrical components. I'm thinking of buying a 500w electric scooter on Craigslist for 100 then using the throttle and motor from that maybe the controller but idk. Or is it a better idea to just buy each part brand new online. My budget is around 500. I would like to make this my ride to work and also trails around my house.

Attachments

• 20160214_112058.jpg
    20160214_112058.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 1,762
You need a gear reduction motor ... or extremely large gear replacement.
450w 24V MY1018z is widely available ~$100. (OEM replacement)
Recommend 24-36V compatible controller to push motor to 675w output and speed towards 25mph. ~ $13
(24V+ controller capable for 44.4V battery, if charged voltage restricted below 50V caps)

Warning:
Higher voltage will damage motor if overtaxed at low rpms!

Lead Acid batteries (SLA) not recommended.
Please provide speed and range requirements for battery recommendations
(~30mph - maximum limit but questionable lifespan and range)
(~23mph is easily accomplished)

See - eZip-iZip-Currie parts-n-such

Steventhesong said:
. . . . just bought this bike off Craigslist and knew nothing about it. . . .

How do people like you keep beating me to them? That's gotta be the one I was just trying to buy a few wees ago, once again it was just gone too quickly.

Check out my little project. Zipping along on stock SLA's for now. Planning on a 1800w motor/controller/throttle package (ebay $189.99), custom motor mount, and a custom 48v battery pack with 18650's, better front forks, 24" front wheel. I'm a welder/ fabricator so this will be fun. Not too aure about sprocket gear ratios yet. Any thoughts? Webp.net-compress-image (2).jpgAny thoughts?

Sweet, Thanks! I'll be ordering the new parts this weekend and while I wait for shipment, I'm going to pick up another 12v sla to overvolt to 36v.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/48V-1800W-Electric-Brushless-Controller-motor-grip-ATV-Go-Kart-Scooter-1800-Watt/232655170228?itemId=232655170228&epid=18011121776

Be aware! ... oem motor is gear reduction. (near 10:1)
Posted motor is non-gear reduction.
Will need to replace rear freewheel sprocket from 20T to 200T.

I'm 5' 10 tall are these bikes worth considering? I like the look of them but just wondering if it would be worth it due to their size?

EbikeAus said:
I'm 5' 10 tall are these bikes worth considering? I like the look of them but just wondering if it would be worth it due to their size?

I would say at your height the frame size is going to seem pretty small for you. I'm 5'8" and by changing to a 26" fork and 24" front wheel it's working real well for me, riding at speed is no problem but I have to slide towards the back of the seat to pedal effectively due to the relation of the seat height to the crankset. The Lightning Rods small block Mike set me up with is working real well on the frame, it's a freaking blast to ride and storms up hills like gangbusters, with the 20" wheel in the back it really kicks.

A 5' 10" person could probably fit something like a CR80 seat and a set of BMX bars on the thing and get some more height. I don't know how a set of long travel 200mm downhill forks and 26" front wheel would effect the geometry, might end up with a chopper effect that might not be too good unless that's what a person was going for.

If you get one of these bikes ditch the forks and get something beefier for safety's sake, others who modded the bikes have said they are prone to bending when stressed, the bikes were made for kids to ride 15 mph on.

Raisedeyebrows said:
EbikeAus said:

I would say at your height the frame size is going to seem pretty small for you. I'm 5'8" and by changing to a 26" fork and 24" front wheel it's working real well for me, riding at speed is no problem but I have to slide towards the back of the seat to pedal effectively due to the relation of the seat height to the crankset. The Lightning Rods small block Mike set me up with is working real well on the frame, it's a freaking blast to ride and storms up hills like gangbusters, with the 20" wheel in the back it really kicks.

A 5' 10" person could probably fit something like a CR80 seat and a set of BMX bars on the thing and get some more height. I don't know how a set of long travel 200mm downhill forks and 26" front wheel would effect the geometry, might end up with a chopper effect that might not be too good unless that's what a person was going for.

If you get one of these bikes ditch the forks and get something beefier for safety's sake, others who modded the bikes have said they are prone to bending when stressed, the bikes were made for kids to ride 15 mph on.

Thanks so much for that response.
I may still look into one and do the mods you've done :)

DrkAngel said:
Be aware! ... oem motor is gear reduction. (near 10:1)
Posted motor is non-gear reduction.
Will need to replace rear freewheel sprocket from 20T to 200T.

Why would I need to replace rear sprocket to 200T? My point is to go fast. If I wanted to go 13mph, I would have left the original motor.

Looking good Boisclair.

Is that grey paint on the side plate and battery box? Looks good anyway :D

They are a fun little bike!

Here's my build thread

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=95111

I looked at getting that motor you linked, but want to keep pedal chain. I assume your happy to lose yours for throttle only?

EbikeAus said:
Looking good Boisclair.

Is that grey paint on the side plate and battery box? Looks good anyway :D

They are a fun little bike!

Here's my build thread

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=95111

I looked at getting that motor you linked, but want to keep pedal chain. I assume your happy to lose yours for throttle only?

Thanks! Yah I just painted the battery box black. I mounted the new motor onto the frame above the back wheel so that I could keep the pedals and it still be considered a "bike". I'm just running SLA's in series to get 48v for now until I build a 18650 battery. I found some old bomber z3.5 forks that I'll pick up this weekend. I'll post pics this weekend too. After buying a T8 chain and rear sprocket to fabricate, I just welded the original motor sprocket to the new sprocket so I could use the same wheel sprocket and bike style chain.

Here is a link to YouTube of the 48v 1800w motor first test. It's all bolted up and it Jams!!
[youtube] https://youtu.be/8hLWk2zofxQ [/youtube]

Your build would definitely improve with a major gearing mod!

OEM 450w gear reduction motor motorvates at ~420rpm
Replacement is rated at 4500-5200rpm.

I used eBikes.ca Motor Simulator, punched in motor outputs and compared 450w@420rpm vs 1800w@4200rpm.

1800w poor.jpg

1800w motor output is theoretically possible of 37mph, but poor gearing limits this build to 26.6mph!
Most notable is the lack of torque, oem 450w is capable of 300% starting acceleration!

Compare to a more optimally geared build with 80T rear sprocket ...

80t rear sprocket vs 20t = 400% starting torque-acceleration
"Gearing" varied by altering tire size.
80" = 20t rear sprocket
20" = 80t rear sprocket

Use this link to access this comparison Motor Simulator

Adjust "Throttle" and "Grade" to compare performance.

Mongoose CX 450 Mods
450w oem motor

Re-Geared 450w motor output
24V 9T-20T gearing = 14.2mph (oem)
24V 9T-16T gearing = 16.9mph
24V 13T-20T gearing = 18.8mph

36V Re-Volted 700w motor output
36V 9T-20T gearing = 20.7mph - near "legal" limits with best acceleration and hill performance
36V 9T-16T gearing = 24.1mph
36V 13T-20T gearing = 26.3mph - outperforms above (poorly geared) 1800w mod in every way!!!

16T freewheel and 13T motor sprocket ...
See - eZip-iZip-Currie parts-n-such

48V not recommended, for surviveibility

Back