Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Tommm said:
rcmonstermike said:
28.4 degrees....about .3 degrees less than my electricmoto blade(28.7), which uses the same forks, and identical to my ktm 350xcf. Didn't calibrate, but the 3 bikes show apples to apples comparison.

So 90-28.4=61.6 to the ground! That is some serious slack there. Downhill bikes don't go lower than 63. :lol:

As I said, I didn't calibrate anything, but compared other bikes for a realistic comparison. FWIW, the KTM specification is 26 degrees - same as the firefly. In practice, the number is constantly changing during the ride - bumps, acceleration, braking, where I sit on the seat, etc., all make for a constantly changing angle, so I don't get hung up on the static number so much as the "seat of the pants feel" - I haven't had ample time to make a determination, so the jury is still out on that. I also find that I end up quite forward on the seat on the firefly for some reason(nuts on the battery cover if you know what I mean) - so I likely am getting a fair bit of compression on the forks(effectively reducing the angle) - I felt like the stock forks were actually too steep for me(not enough angle) based on the actual seating position. I considered lowering the forks by about an inch(reduce travel to 11", add rigidity) if the need arises - it'll be a week or so before I get any real time to put it through its paces to determine my next move. It doesn't have enough power to really push things either.....yet. I do feel like a longer swingarm is most certainly in my future, which should balance things out nicely once properly setup. :)

Looks pretty awesome rcmonstermike.

I have tried to find those forks at different times and could never find any for sale.

Like what you have done.

motomoto said:
Looks pretty awesome rcmonstermike.

I have tried to find those forks at different times and could never find any for sale.

Like what you have done.

Thanks motomoto - I managed to get a spare set of forks when I got the blade and never used them....wasnt thrilled with the RST, so good opportunity to put the extra set to work. Looking fwd to seeing what you have working. :)

motomoto said:
looks like we killed the thread monstermike, no one has posted since monday.... weird.

Maybe everyone else is out riding....lucky dogs! I did manage about an hour yesterday in some tight single track.....thank you Mr. Marzocchi!! Suspension is a ton better than stock up front and the rear worked well (better shock and longer swingarm still on the list). I really need more power now....it eats up technical stuff quite well, but falls on its face too soon.

rcmonstermike said:
motomoto said:
looks like we killed the thread monstermike, no one has posted since monday.... weird.

Maybe everyone else is out riding....lucky dogs! I did manage about an hour yesterday in some tight single track.....thank you Mr. Marzocchi!! Suspension is a ton better than stock up front and the rear worked well (better shock and longer swingarm still on the list). I really need more power now....it eats up technical stuff quite well, but falls on its face too soon.

For single track you will have enough power if you change to 60t rear.

In really tight, not too steep stuff I agree - the 58t provides ample power, even in eco mode(or whatever it's called) if it's "bicycle tight" and flat. It needs more when things open up and for climbing, though(gets me up most anything, but not very fast). I ran a 72v, 300 amp setup in my blade(brushed perm or etek motor) - now that has some snap(bigger bike, too)! I'd like to triple the firefly's power (or so) tbh.....

I feel like this topic should be split into its own sub forum. My head is spinning looking for info.

Need to upgrade the brakes, mine are shot. Any suggestions?

Also, I have a brand new set of 58 tooth sprockets from Kim, for sale. I thought I had ordered 52’s... PM me if you want the 58’s, I have 2 of them, come with the chain extensions, they are still in original packaging.

jph3 said:
I feel like this topic should be split into its own sub forum. My head is spinning looking for info.

Need to upgrade the brakes, mine are shot. Any suggestions?

Also, I have a brand new set of 58 tooth sprockets from Kim, for sale. I thought I had ordered 52’s... PM me if you want the 58’s, I have 2 of them, come with the chain extensions, they are still in original packaging.

+1 on the MT5 Magura with the 200mm/203mm rotors, they work very well, and even though they aren't the most powerful DH MTB brakes on the market, they work very well and have minimum fade when really hot.

And to add to that, I found 50 pads for $50 on ali express. Although you’ll run 4 pads per brake you are effectively upgrading to mt7. I’ve been running them on the stock rotors with no issue.

Has anyone tried any other controllers besides the asi yet???

Did someone do something about the chain noisy? I realized the chain is touching the bolts on the front spocket. Need A smaller head bolt? Or a bigger front spocket?

I think I jacked my battery. I washed the bike with the battery in and it had about a 50% charge. I put it
on the charger later and it went to 16% with the 16 flashing and the left side bar flashing and it won't charge
with either of my chargers.
20180721_135856-1.jpg

nethern said:
Did someone do something about the chain noisy? I realized the chain is touching the bolts on the front spocket. Need A smaller head bolt? Or a bigger front spocket?

I haven't checked mine yet, but if its touching the bolts, it must be touching consistently as my chain tension doesn't change.

motomoto said:
I think I jacked my battery. I washed the bike with the battery in and it had about a 50% charge. I put it
on the charger later and it went to 16% with the 16 flashing and the left side bar flashing and it won't charge
20180721_135856-1.jpg

May want to pull the battery from the bike, and let it sit in the sun for a couple of days and let UV rays dry things out. If that doesn't resolve the issue, time to split the case.

Rix said:
motomoto said:
20180721_135856-1.jpg

May want to pull the battery from the bike, and let it sit in the sun for a couple of days and let UV rays dry things out. If that doesn't resolve the issue, time to split the case.

Direct sun might be bad. Roasting the pack above 110f is bad for long term battery health.

Has anyone thought about taking their bike with them on a plane? Is it at all possible with the battery, or is the battery too big to take on a plane (even if brought as hand luggage)?

Rabid said:
Has anyone thought about taking their bike with them on a plane? Is it at all possible with the battery, or is the battery too big to take on a plane (even if brought as hand luggage)?

There are fixed prices for bikes in different weight categories, I doubt the sur ron will fit in any of them. The battery is considered hazardous so hand luggage is out of the question.

I took the top off and there was no moisture in it. It has sat a couple of days with the top off and no change. I guess I should
consult Luna and see what they say. It kind of sucks because they cost so much. I still have the battery for the other bike.

20180721_135856-1.jpg

n2mb said:
Rix said:
motomoto said:
20180721_135856-1.jpg

Direct sun might be bad. Roasting the pack above 110f is bad for long term battery health.
This is true, but if the was water inside, getting things warm is the best way to get rid of the water. Either way, it doesn't appear that was the issue.

Tommm said:
Rabid said:

There are fixed prices for bikes in different weight categories, I doubt the sur ron will fit in any of them. The battery is considered hazardous so hand luggage is out of the question.

Airlines I've used before usually give up to 50kg for a 'bike bag', so I'm less concerned about the weight as what to do with the battery. Rules now say that batteries should be taken in hand luggage (as far as I'm aware), but there are also limits to the capacity of batteries that you can take. Was just wondering if anyone had transported their Light Bee by plane and if so how they had done it.

If you have it apart you might be able to measure the individual cell voltages and see if any are out of line. Disconnecting the pack from the BMS might reset it too.

motomoto said:
I took the top off and there was no moisture in it. It has sat a couple of days with the top off and no change. I guess I should
consult Luna and see what they say. It kind of sucks because they cost so much. I still have the battery for the other bike.

20180721_135856-1.jpg

MOTOMOTO, did you try the battery reset procedure? Plugging the charger in and out? My battery was brought back from the dead by doing this.

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum/knowledge-base/bikes-aa/55116-sur-ron-documentation

Awaking the Battery after Auto-Sleep mode:
Plug the charger into the Main power. Do not turn on the charger, then insert the charger into the battery charge port.
Turn on the main power, the moment, the red and green indicators of the charger will alternately blink, turn off the charger and then on again.
The red indicator of the charger will blink fast (0.5 second per time). The blink time will last to 20 seconds.
After the 20 second blink, the red indicator will be a constant light for 10 seconds. During this 10 seconds, turn off at the power point and then on for one time.
After Step 4, the “Forced Charging” function of the charger will be turned on. Then, the charger will work normally.

Remarks:
In Step 3, during the red indicator’s 20 seconds fast blink, please do not turn off the charger. Otherwise, you need to start the procedure again from step 1.
In Step 4, the action to turn off and then turn on the charger needs to be finished during the 10 seconds, when the red indicator is constant light. Otherwise, you need to start the procedure again from Step 1.

motomoto said:

20180721_135856-1.jpg

Maybe just the volt-meter is bad? What voltage is present at the main leads(controller plug)? Have you tried to charge and/or discharge(run) it since the display issue developed?

Back