Help with CA 3.11

stevan44

10 µW
I have a flashing throttle icon on the CA. The throttle has no power level LED's and the switch for lights do not work as well. I've checked the fuses and cables all look fine. I have a Golden Motor pass thu setup please see attached picture. It was working with no issues. Does someone have a ideal what the issue could be?

Thank you in advance.
Steve

This is most likely a configuration issue caused by either:

• powering up the CA with a non-ZERO throttle as set by ThrI->ZeroThrsh
    (intended to prevent dangerous runaway on power-up but can occur with an improper setting)
  • the throttle voltage exceeds the value of ThrI->FaultThrsh
    (intended to prevent a runaway due to broken throttle GND connection but can occur with an improper setting)

Follow the instructions in the Setup Utility Help File or Tool Tips to correctly configure these settings.

If by "working with no issues" you mean that the throttle's battery power level meter lights worked, and the switch on the throttle used to turn them on and off, then perhaps there is now a wiring fault that broke the connection from battery or controller to that switch/meter.

Or if it got wet inside, it could have shorted the battery power to throttle signal or power, and damaged or destroyed any or all of the hall sensor, controller, CA throttle input.

stevan44 said:
The throttle has no power level LED's and the switch for lights do not work as well.

Hmmm - I took this to mean that this stuff never worked, but examining the picture and guessing at the throttle wiring and the harness wiring, it looks like it did. So - as AW said, this looks like a wiring issue - not a config issue as I posted above.

Since you are getting a throttle fault and the throttle LEDs don't work, I would guess the throttle GND wire is broken. If it were a magnet or other throttle-specific issue, the LEDs would still be active. I don't see anything there about a switch for lights so I'm guessing that's some other circuitry.

Nothing to do here really but break out the voltmeter and start probing....

Thanks for the suggestions! It was working before using the configuration that was included in the posting . The power LED's do not power up nor does the switch power the head lamp. The head lamp is power by the CA output power jack and the throttle button is the on and off switch for it. So the throttle assembly is not getting power, I've order replaced the throttle with a new one and the same thing is happening.

During my last ride before this happen I was getting Watch Dog error messages, which were new.
IMG_0117-13-07-18-08-37.JPG
IMG_0118-13-07-18-08-37.JPG
IMG_0119-13-07-18-08-37.JPG

I had just updated to 3.11 before riding so I figured the messages were tie to the update. I don't see how the ground wire would been broken, but I will break out the voltmeter and start probing the voltage and see if anything shakes out.

At this point I will do the following:

Check the following settings -
•powering up the CA with a non-ZERO throttle as set by ThrI->ZeroThrsh
(intended to prevent dangerous runaway on power-up but can occur with an improper setting)
•the throttle voltage exceeds the value of ThrI->FaultThrsh
(intended to prevent a runaway due to broken throttle GND connection but can occur with an improper setting)

if that fails
Roll back to v3.1

if that fails
check cable voltages

Thank you for providing me some new avenues to explore!

stevan44 said:
It was working before using the configuration that was included in the posting . The power LED's do not power up nor does the switch power the head lamp. The head lamp is power by the CA output power jack and the throttle button is the on and off switch for it. So the throttle assembly is not getting power, I've order replaced the throttle with a new one and the same thing is happening.
What 'configuration' that was included? The only thing included was a hardware diagram - no CA settings configuration....
Do you mean you re-wired the 'hardware configuration' to as shown and now you have these problems?

stevan44 said:
During my last ride before this happen I was getting Watch Dog error messages, which were new.
I had just updated to 3.11 before riding so I figured the messages were tie to the update.
Okay - the watchdog messages can be useful if they are all dumped in sequence and not from separate occurrences - is that the case here? The values look like the flash didn't work correctly and memory is corrupted. This needs a 3.11 re-flash with defaults and all settings reconfigured from scratch.

stevan44 said:
I don't see how the ground wire would been broken, but I will break out the voltmeter and start probing the voltage and see if anything shakes out.

Until you clarify what you mean by 'configuration' and if the wiring shown in the image 'used to work' or is new and the cause of the problem, there's not much to be said at this end.

The CA power accessory port has no electronics and is unrelated to the firmware. All it has is a 1A self-resetting fuse. You have shown no wiring that matches what you are describing (per the light) so it's hard to tell what you've done, or how to proceed except to say that on the face of it, your light has failed and is an entirely separate issue. Similarly, the voltage-level LEDs are unrelated to the CA proper -- that device only needs two wires to work...

Need a little help here - the situation is a little confusing....

stevan44 said:
The power LED's do not power up nor does the switch power the head lamp. The head lamp is power by the CA output power jack and the throttle button is the on and off switch for it.
Both teh power LEDs and the CA power jack are battery voltage, and have nothing to do with the throttle power, which is a separate 5V from the controller.

Also, there isn't any way the CA software version or settings could prevent the LEDs or light from working, so you have a hardware problem somewhere causing that.

If the LEDs adn light are not working, but the CA is powered up, then it isn't likely to be simply a battery voltage short-out to something else as I originally suggested.

But it could be a broken ground as Teklektik mentions, if the headlight also uses the throttle ground as a return like the throttle and power meter LEDs do.

A broken ground at the throttle cable or connector or inside the throttle or controller could prevent all three from working, as long as that ground is common to all three.

If the headlight has it's own ground return, then it's probably not a broken ground.

To test this, you need to power the whole system off, then use a multimeter on continuity, and measure with the red lead on the ground connection (inside the throttle if possible), and the black lead to the battery negative terminal.

If you get a continuity beep or near-zero ohms, then the ground is fine.

Then you can test for a short between the throttle's 5V and the battery-voltage wire to the throttle body (probably the purple wire).

Mystery solved bad controller.

Back