new eZip motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn,

Do I even want to ask what happened?

Sounds dangerous living where you do.

I'm holidaying in some really remote outback towns. Its beautiful here, but the locals don't have anything to do once night falls except drink. Things get pretty rough once that happens. You can see all the security in response. Big police presence everywhere, shops that have full roller shutter doors and close before it gets dark...

Alcohol... Am I right?

You were saying before that the situation was not good. Sounds like a move was overdue. Here's to hoping that the move will work out to be a good thing in the end.

latecurtis said:
guy downstairs I was having trouble before with almost killed my friend Doug in my living room last night. In front of a 6 year old and one year old child.
Sounds like you invited known problems into your home?

latecurtis said:
Then a bunch of teenage gang members stormed the house. I saved my TV and kept the woman and children safe.
"gang members" attracted to fight noise? Came to join fight? To stop it?

latecurtis said:
I will be moving to Ohio. Marys son the truck driver is on his way to get us and is bringing his gun. police were here all night.

My apartment is a crime scene. Eric is going down 5 to 15 years in state prison.

Trying to get money to put my bikes and computers and few things in storage now.
Taking eBikes etc. to Ohio storage or storing in NY for ... ?

LC. out

Well, I guess that explains your horrific electric bills.
LED grow lights could have saved you a fortune!

Thank you Slacker.

I got the liquid electrical tape today. I read up on it and when it fully cures is like a hard rubber. That is my answer to the VRUZEND kit.

That and hot glue in the center of the cells holding them in place with a piece of wood with 20 holes drilled out. Thanks.

LC out.

Attachments

• IMG_3777.JPG
    IMG_3777.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 2,016
Next time the police come around, they might think you're making sticks of dynamite?

I'm planning a 21kw build next. Looking into high end EV controllers and what is involved in playing in that kind of space.

Running gear will be all custom, but frame, suspension and brake will all be off the shelf: probably a Kawasaki, Hyosung, or Honda super sports based frame.

Where did you move to ?

I know you lived in Australia. I think you said you were moving to the United Kingdom. Just checking my memory to see if I am losing it or not. I know I am losing my mind but not sure it is the same thing. :lol:

I wish I could move closer to someone I am friends with here. I think Dan said he lived in Chicago but am not sure if it was him or you that moved or if both of you guys moved. I know DA lives in NY state on the western and southern tip I believe. Close to Lake Erie I think.

I need a fresh start. I also need a friend or friends who like e bikes and building them and computers / electronics. It is difficult making new friends and all of you guys are already my friends.

I am not sure about Ohio. The only person I know is Mary's son and he is out on the road most of the time driving truck. I wish you were closer Sunder as you could help me with the FX 75-5 motor. You are building electric motorcycles and I build electric bicycles. There is a big difference. That 45 kilowatt controller looks nothing like a cheap Chinese controller for an e bike, :lol: Thanks.

LC out.

As the Hub Motor Turns and the LiPo Fire Burns. I may very well have found a place where I would want to spend the rest of my life.

i have searched North , south , east and west. Albany craig's list then went west putting in zip codes all over. Mary's son lives in Cleveland Ohio. There you need a license , plate and a written test as well as a road test for electric bikes. In NY any bike with a motor is ILLEGAL.

there are no exceptions. The law says anything with a motor must be registered and an e bike of any kind is not considered road worthy. I was told that a few years ago at DMV downtown and the current NY state law confirms that.

On Craig's list one bedroom apartments start at approx. 425 and up. Two bedrooms are 500 and up and three about 600 bucks. Anyone know how to build an electric boat because I will be moving to Erie PA. it is less than two hours from Mary's son in Cleveland I think.

This won't be easy as I will probably need to go there and find a homeless shelter to look for a place as I don't have hotel $$$. But at least I have a plan. DA , Are you familiar with Erie? If there were a way to find a place and send the money it would be better but then it could be a scam. Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

LC out.

I haven't actually moved yet. The original plan was UK in December this year, but we've pushed it back for a few reasons.

I think one of the things stopping you making friends with similar interests, is that neither eBiking or computers/electronics is a cheap hobby, and both are moderately intellectual. In the areas you're living, it doesn't really seem like you'd attract the well off, or the intellectual type.

Nothing stopping you building high performance eBikes, or cheap electric motorcycles. But you seem to waste money buying "junk" - half of which we're convinced is decent quality stuff which is either used beyond spec, or abused... But that's another argument entirely.

I'm going brand new everything, top of the line, and including the donor bike, I think I can keep it under $5k USD. You have half the parts already, kindly donated by LFP, (better than the stuff I'm buying, actually) so you should be able to do it even cheaper, as long as you know how to build it/treat it.

latecurtis said:
Anyone know how to build an electric boat because I will be moving to Erie PA.

Funny you should mention that. I was talking about building one with a mate today.

Kayak = $300,
1.2kw electric trolling motor = $200
+ whatever sized battery you want.

Could have a reliable set up for under $1k AUD. So probably about $7-800 USD.

Thanks Sunder.

If it were to be possible to get some help from DA. I will be less than 1/2 the distance I am now I think if I get a place in Erie. I will have easy street for summer and The Currie for winter with the wider tires. I won't have to hide the Currie motor either as e bikes are legal and my motor at 36 volts is 750 watts and legal if I do not go over 20 mph. that will take some weight off it.

I probably won't need to ride the 20" bikes much and may just sell them for parts and look for a boat. Any chance the FX - 75 5 motor could work for a small boat. It should definitely be powerful enough. Please let me know. Thanks.

LC out.

Very cool.

Hopefully DA will post.

However I have to move there first. Maybe you should move there also instead of the UK. :D

Gone a bit quiet in this thread. Too busy moving and setting up house?

I've been out in the Australian Outback. It's the kind of place where the closest town either way could be another 300-400km away. Even ICE cars, you need to either fill up every chance you get, or carry a big jerry can, or risk being stranded. Unless you had a specially designed solar car, no chance that an EV would work here.

I have seen a few people riding electric bikes as part of bike-packing though (backpacking with Bikes). Either big paniers, or small trailers carrying most their gear. Interesting though, that I only saw mid-drive motors, despite this part of the outback being dead flat. I would have thought a hub would have been less troublesome. I guess if they're doing ALL of Australia though, we do have some mountains - Stuff that Europeans would laugh at and call molehills, but I guess small hubs would still struggle, and Australia officially has a 250w limit.

Since I can't do anything practical about my motorcycle build, I am trying to understand more of the physics behind motors and controllers. One of the other members around here is seriously pissing me off though. He has very little knowledge, but thinks he knows a lot, so tries to answer my question, but doesn't understand them. It's kind of like when I started writing executive level reports for work. Even though I was top in my year for English at high school, and was a very experienced writer, I picked up a copy of "The Oxford Guide to Writing in Plain English", to get better at writing to a non-technical audience. Had all sorts of people, some who seemed barely educated trying to talk to me on the train to "let me practice English". Not sure who I was more embarrassed for.

Anyway, back on topic, I'm learning a lot about the actual physics of *why* certain things happen. I've always known, for example, that higher Kv motors can go faster, but have less torque, and that if you run them further from their no load speed, they heat up faster. But now I am starting to understand about Back EMF, and how that limits current, and how winding loss can limit motors differently to total thermal limits etc.

I think you'd find it interesting, LC.

My mother rented me a storage unit. 10 by 10. Someone screwed up. I rented it by a machine where you push buttons and put in your money. The unit was full of someone's stuff so had to wait a day and got one across the hall.

I got about 8 or 9 bikes in there now. 4 are electric and the others mostly 26" mountain bikes. Some are really good bikes I got very cheap.

I was doing some heavy drinking. The dude downstairs who was facing prison time got time served and got out today. He apologized to the guy (my roommate) who he assaulted. He also apologized to me. He was really sorry.

Then I found out why the state did not go thru with the felony charges. They did a routine physical examination including blood work. They found out something very wrong. Very high white blood cells. Most likely leukemia. that makes sense. The state is responsible for the medical bills when in jail or prison. They did not want to pay for it.

I lost my friend Dave Chandler a year ago the fourth of July from an overdose. About a week ago the guy I grew up with Dave Ladd (The redneck from hell) died of throat cancer. Another friend I have known about 5 years Mike is dying of cancer also and is down to 100 pounds and can't walk without a cane and my help. He is only two or three years older than me. I spent two nights in his back yard drinking 18 packs of Budweiser with him a few days ago.

I have known the guy downstairs for 11 years now. I am at a loss of words. Almost everyone I know is dying all around me. All my wife is worried about is the landlord's wallet. Doug's mother moved in yesterday and is willing to pay 1/2 the rent. My wife don't want to move and neither does my best friend downtown I have known since 2002. He is an alcoholic and all he is worried about is his two cats. Both black like the one DA has in the picture.

His landlord sold the building and the new landlord has not contacted him yet and does not know if he will accept section 8. Apartments around here start at 750 for a one bedroom and about 800 to 900 for a two bedroom. Where I want to go a one bed starts about $450 and a two bedroom 500 to 550. I told him to get someone to feed the cats and go on a bus with me. He does not listen and neither does my wife Mary.

They do not want to move. It is too inconvenient. I do not want to stay. Not only is the rent too high but there is nothing to do here. The way I see it I may not be around 10 years from now. I want to go swimming in a great lake. Not in a river which has been polluted for 50+ years by the General Electric plant here. GE. Also I would like to spend the 200 to 300 bucks I will save a month on the rent to put a vehicle on the road for when the weather is too severe to ride an electric bicycle. I would also like to own a boat and take it out on the lake fishing during the summer months.

Am I being selfish to leave here and go my own way ? I do not think so as I have spent a good 20 years here in this grimy city. I feel it is time for a change however will need to spend most of the summer in homeless shelters just to save up rent and security. If someone would go with me who also has a disability check like my wife or my best friend we would have $1,700 total. $1,000 would get us in a decent apartment. $500 rent and $500 security for a two bedroom. She is 75 years old and moved probably 20 times in the 21 years we have been together. She is sick and tired of moving.

That would leave $350 each to live on for a month. The first utility bill should be a month after it is turned on. Nobody will co-operate with me. It looks like I will have to do this solo. I told them both if I have to be in a shelter for two months then I will simply be alone. F everyone. Do you guys think I am wrong or being selfish to simply want a better life than is possible here in NY. Please let me know.

I got 10 days until the rent here is due. The Currie and 20" bike are the only bikes not in storage but storage is about 300 to 400 feet down the hill. I would still like to build the LG packs. I would also like to run the new Samsung packs for awhile until they have a few miles on them like the SONA packs and then combine for 5P.

I need a nut for the motor on the 20" bike. I do not wish to steal one from any other motors as all are functional e bikes. If I get a nut this bike will be also. I really want working bikes in storage. The Schwinn needs professional wheel repair for the front hub motor. I do not need any more non- working bikes.

electric scooter parts has it but need to call and find out about shipping. The motor shaft is 8 mm left threaded. Does anyone know where I can get a nut in a couple of days ? I will go $10 with shipping. Only a couple bucks at electric scooter parts but 2 day ship.... is like $39 I got my new money card with $30 on it today.

thanks.

LC out.

Untitled.png

I ordered two.

Hopefully there is a way to keep them from falling off.

I got 9 days before the landlord shows up for the rent. I hope I get them by then.

I am still thinking about consolidating and running the 800 watt hub motor on the front and keep the Unite motor on the rear.

I also re- read the Ohio e bike laws. I will not need to take a written and road test. It is for people who have no license. I can trade my NY for a Ohio license and pay $24 per e bike for the registration and slap a plate on each e bike. I just do not want to get pulled over for DWI. :roll: Thanks.

LC out.

If it's just a left threaded M8 bolt, shouldn't you be able to get a left threaded M8 nut for a few cents at your local hardware store? If you need force spreading or any special spacing to get clearance, you can just use any M8 washer.

As for moving... I don't know. I wouldn't leave my family behind to chase any dream, no matter how big. Loyalty, commitment, connection. All these are important to me.

Is there any way you can save up enough money to fund a once off trip? Sometimes the dream may seem to be about "living the good life", but it's enough to just do something a couple times. You don't need to uproot everything you have to live a different life permanently.

At this point I feel like spending my money on liquor and whores. I am sick of making landlords wallets fatter and rich utility companies richer and cashing cans in for 5 cents each just to buy a cheeseburger or slice of pizza at the end of the month.

LC out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jewtYBvP-_0

If you want something of value from society, you need to offer something of value to society.

Find something that people will pay for, whether its a product, labour or knowledge.

Then you can live the good life.

Good luck LC. Moving is a bitch. 3 months later and all I have ridden is 1.1 miles. Movers don't care about you baby all they do is stuff it in any place it might fit. Still unpacking and finding mistakes in the house as well the shipping mess. Can't find stuff because we haven't totally unpacked.

It's really hard to leave friends and family. One daughter is still in downtown Chicago and my other lives in LA. CA.
Few friends left behind and do miss them. Finding friends is hard, especially if you want a =n Ebike buddy. Seen more Ebikes here in a week than all back in Chicago.

Dan
From rainy Florida

As the Hub Motor Turns and the LiPo Fire Burns. Crane st. hill vs the Currie. The Currie won.

It happened about 2:30 or 3 AM this morning. I had a few beers and did not feel like walking up the hill. I got a full throttle head start about 200 feet or so and did aggressive pedal assist and took the hill without stopping.

I was running the new Samsung packs 3p. They did not shut down due to over discharge. I was surprised as the hill is a bear. I was definitely out of breath when I got home and did not even drink the 24 oz. Keystone ice beer I bought about 2 blocks from the bottom of the hill. The physical exertion sobered me up and I ate a bunch of food and went to bed.

I am going out now to get some free food at a soup kitchen about a mile and a half away. I am saving my money for the move. I am still considering a 36V dual motor build making two e bikes into one. It will be one less bike to relocate. Thanks.

4:56 PM.

I got my money together for another 18 pack of budweiser tonight but will be around the corner so won't be riding there. I want to know if these Samsung packs have over-discharge protection ? I don't see how they made it up that hill last night without damage. I am glad they did though. I am charging them again now. I ran them a few miles today and am going to work on the LG cells today. I have the BMSs and a glue gun. All I will need is some wire nuts. I want to build two 10S packs with 40 LG cells. I have a second charger.

I will see how the two LG packs work and see if they get hot running them normally. Then I still have the #4 Samsung pack that I did not hook up to the other 3 Samsung packs as the voltage was only 3.97 V The other three packs were 4.04 V.

I am not sure if I should hook in parallel to the other Samsung packs or parallel it to the SONA packs. I have many choices here. Two 4p

or

One 5p and one 3p.

I can hook the two LG packs to the two SONA packs and have two 4p packs or since the LG cells run hot I could build a 5p pack by parallel with the SONA and the #4 Samsung pack which is 3.97 V.

That may be my best bet as the 3p pack I ran up Crane st. last night did not shut down due to over-discharge. They are awesome packs.

Please let me know if the BMS in the Samsung packs protect against over discharge.

Also please let me know if I should parallel the SONA packs with the two LG packs I am building today and the #4 Samsung pack which is 3.97 V. for 5p. Thanks.

LC out.

As the Hub Motor Turns and the LiPo Fire Burns. I know how to solder. :D

I soldered 30 wires and connectors in the last 7 hours or so. I did it with the 60 watt iron and the tip it came with. I did not need the other tips. What I did need and am getting is some sort of dust mask so I do not breath in any fumes. I had two fans going but the flux creates really bad smell / fumes. Please let me know what sort of dust mask will be effective so I can save my lungs. That s h i t really stinks.

I figured out what was the problems before.

1. 30 watt irons are basically junk. great for melting holes in plastic to build cheap but effective hydroponic systems. Garbage for soldering.

2. The solder. The solder sold for the cheap 30 watt irons is probably lead free. It is shiny like chrome and will harden almost instantly into little balls smaller than BBs if the heat is not hot enough. It also evaporates and is difficult to work with. Basically is garbage and not worth bothering with. Good solder is lead based and was posted by docw009 on the last page.

Fortunately I have some lead based solder as it is not shiny but more of a grey color than the garbage I was soldering with earlier on. I believe it to be plumbers solder. I think it comes in a white roll with printing on it. The lead free comes in a test tube thing.

I can't take pictures as the charger for my camera is in storage but tomorrow I will get the charger and will show everyone here on this post my accomplishments. The 60 watt iron with the regular tip got the job done. Sunder posted several times about wet solder. Basically the solder needs to be in a fully liquid state.

The 30 watt irons do not get hot enough so may be done but with much difficulty. I did do 20 connections about a month ago and the bonds are strong enough to work but a 60 watt iron works much better and the bonds are a lot stronger. The liquid electrical tape however basically seal and reinforce any bond which may not be 100%. I am about 98% sure these packs will in fact work as good as the SONA packs and maybe as good as the new Samsung packs.

I will put them to the test doing short runs. I will compare two LG packs to the two SONA packs when they are done. I will go the same distance and take a very small hill moderately steep and inspect the packs for excessive heat and then check voltage after the trip for capacity.

I used sandpaper for some and when I lost it a steak knife with serrated edges to scratch the surface thoroughly and applied flux to the top of the battery and the connector. I melted the solder to a complete liquid form and have 30 excellent connections.

I have the BMSs and know how to hook them up but not sure about the power wires. BMSs are different so not sure about these. Some BMSs need separate power wires for the charger and controller soldered to the BMS. It looks like these do not but need to be absolutely sure so I do not do all this work for nothing. Please let me know. I will send pictures tomorrow and hope to have these packs built in a couple of days as I am running out of time as I have to do this move. Thanks.

LC out.

latecurtis said:
As the Hub Motor Turns and the LiPo Fire Burns. I know how to solder. :D

I soldered 30 wires and connectors in the last 7 hours or so. I did it with the 60 watt iron and the tip it came with. I did not need the other tips.
Larger "proper" tip is still so much easier, faster ... BETTER!
Quicker with less actual (potentially damaging) heat transfer.
I would do the same 30 connections in, probably, less than 15 minutes.
Tho, of course, I would not use "connectors".

latecurtis said:
2. The solder. The solder sold for the cheap 30 watt irons is probably lead free. It is shiny like chrome and will harden almost instantly into little balls smaller than BBs if the heat is not hot enough. It also evaporates and is difficult to work with. Basically is garbage and not worth bothering with. Good solder is lead based and was posted by docw009 on the last page.
Relatively thin 60/40 Rosin solder is best for typical applications. ... As noted several times previously!

I will get the battery for my camera today. Doug will hold the camera and will do a video on how I do the solder joints. I will use the good solder first. then the s h i t t y solder.

After that I will use a junk cell from a used laptop and try both types of solder with a different tip in the soldering iron. We will then see the difference.

I want to see the difference also. If the new tip works better I will use it from then on on all solder jobs. However I doubt I will ever use the thin solder again. I think it is complete garbage but the video I will shoot will tell the story.

I also would like to see what Doug can do with his cheap 25 watt iron and the thin solder. I want to prove whether it is possible or not to do the same job with a cheap soldering iron and cheap solder vs a 60 watt iron and good quality solder.

9/2/18 - 2:36 AM.

View attachment 7

Well Doug is sleeping and I am not drinking tonight. I have been packing and got some more wire to finish the other pack. I have four more positive terminals to solder then 20 negative terminals. I will finish the four with the tip which is on there as I am used to it then I will let the iron cool off and put on a different tip for the negative terminals and see how it works. I found the battery for my camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APB0m2sao1I&feature=youtu.be

Unfortunately there will not be enough of the good lead based solder left for the negative side but at lease all the positives are finished and there is no way of shorting out the negative side. Now I will be working with a larger tip and s h i t t y solder. :roll:

Basically these videos can be viewed in the future as a way to make a home made pack without using a cheap plastic kit with caps which only support 3.5 amp discharge. My next video is the application of the liquid electrical tape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUAsYsnfGac&feature=youtu.be

I will need 24 hours of dry time before I can solder the negative terminals. Now I could use a little help. I am not familiar with any BMS. I know how to hook up balance wires though as I built two 6S packs and a 10S which was a 6S and a 4S in series so I could balance charge with the two LiPo chargers. These packs will be charged with one of my 36V Lithium chargers.

I am not happy about the amount of space these packs will take up. Obviously I won't be building any more using this design. They won't even fit in a regular milk crate. I will need a large milk crate or a back pack for these.

At this point I just want to finish them. Wall-Mart did not have the wire nuts I needed. They had assorted sizes. I need 22 I think total or could use the liquid electric tape to coat the wires once I get the BMSs hooked up then put regular electric tape around that I guess.

Also how should I mount the BMS. Should I glue it to the bottom of the lid with the hot glue gun ?

I think I can hook up all the wires from the BMSs correct but do I need to solder separate power wires to the BMS ?

or hook it up like I did the 6S Balance plug where the positive wire on the one end gets the male bullet and the negative on the other end the female bullet ?

The third pic. up from the bottom says P - which don't make much sense since the red positive balance wire is on that side of the board in the front. I do not see a P + though.

I see a pic in the upper left corner which looks like negative on the left and positive on the right but on the bottom left it looks like P negative if P stands for power. I am totally confused.

I guess that the P could stand for positive and not power and the negative sign is an arrow pointing to where the wire needs to be soldered. Is that the case. It makes sense I guess but need to be absolutely sure.

Please let me know and also How do I solder a wire to that. I can't screw that up. It is a very small solder. Doug says he is good with small electronics. I would like to do it myself though. Is there a video on how to do this properly. I need both of those questions answered as well as if it would be ok to hot glue the BMS board to the bottom of the lid.

Please let me know. Thanks.

LC out.

Attachments

• IMG_3788.JPG
    IMG_3788.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 1,737
  • IMG_3791.JPG
    IMG_3791.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 1,729
  • IMG_3792.JPG
    IMG_3792.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 1,729