Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Anyone have an excellent guide on controllers? I'm lost in you guys' talk of "18s" and "20s" on the controller. Also EM field dampening (?) affecting top end power.

Wish we had word on the Model X.

Strava says I just did 50mph on a slight downhill with the 58t sprocket, 19x3.5 trials rear and 18s of multistars. Good fun but makes the stock pack less exciting.

Had my Sur-Ron bike for a few weeks now and done about 250km on it. Have a tear and in the rear brake hose and need to replace it. Visited a local MTB bike shop here focused mainly on Shimano and showed them the brake, but they say they didn't know what parts would fit etc. (probably to much to do this season and not super interested in more work). Next time I like to be more specific in what I need. So if anyone here could provide me with some more precise instructions that would be great.
Read in this thread that someone recommended MT5 Magura for replacement but I think the original brake was doing the job fine so far and would prefer just new hose (and oil I guess).

Overall I really like the bike and it runs really well both on and off road. Perfect for a newbie like myself which mainly has 80cc experience. What maintenance do you guys recommend and how often?

RemoteRoad said:
Anyone have an excellent guide on controllers? I'm lost in you guys' talk of "18s" and "20s" on the controller. Also EM field dampening (?) affecting top end power.

Wish we had word on the Model X.

In non technical laymen's terms:
18s and 20s refers to the amount of batter cells in series. The stock Surron battey is a 16s unit. So 18s and 20s means more volts. 16s comes in around 66 volts hot off the charger (HOC), 18s around 75 volts HOC, and 20s at 84 volts HOC. More volts = faster speeds and more performance.

lightbeer81 said:
Had my Sur-Ron bike for a few weeks now and done about 250km on it. Have a tear and in the rear brake hose and need to replace it. Visited a local MTB bike shop here focused mainly on Shimano and showed them the brake, but they say they didn't know what parts would fit etc. (probably to much to do this season and not super interested in more work). Next time I like to be more specific in what I need. So if anyone here could provide me with some more precise instructions that would be great.
Read in this thread that someone recommended MT5 Magura for replacement but I think the original brake was doing the job fine so far and would prefer just new hose (and oil I guess).

Overall I really like the bike and it runs really well both on and off road. Perfect for a newbie like myself which mainly has 80cc experience. What maintenance do you guys recommend and how often?

Easy fix, you can buy another brake line, cut to length, and replace it, then bleed your brake and you are up and running. There is no special parts for this, just make sure the replacement line is is of the same diameter ID and OD.

lightbeer81 said:

You can use Shimano BH90 hose kit. Easy to find on Amazon. But I personally replaced front brakes and will replace rear, cause both front and rear are leaking. Original brakes are very low quality copy from Shimano XT 9000 I guess. They have 4 piston calipers, but they (pistons) are leaking.
If you replace them you need to keep original levers, cause they have engine breaker.

I replaced my front brakes to Shimano Zee, but I keep original lever, it’s not bad quality and you need it to have engine breaker.

You can find a lot of YouTube videos how to replace and tune and pump your brakes, easy to do it and learn something new for you.

Shimano Zee fit perfectly and it is amazing 4 carbon piston set, great calibration and sensitivity, you can read some reviews.

Let me know if you have any questions.

So for the MT-5 brakes, do I need anything other than two of these and a set of rotors?

https://amzn.to/2LY4eVG

Looks like 200mm rotor on the front and 203 on the rear? Any mounting brackets or anything else needed?

Thanks!

3DTOPO said:
So for the MT-5 brakes, do I need anything other than two of these and a set of rotors?

https://amzn.to/2LY4eVG

Looks like 200mm rotor on the front and 203 on the rear? Any mounting brackets or anything else needed?

Thanks!

if you don't use the stock brake levers then you will lose the ebrake motor cutoff safety function .. also, make sure that the rear brake line is long enough since I think Sur-Ron has a longer wheelbase than most dh bikes? and if you get new rotors then maybe consider a 9" rotor for the front brake ..

Uran93 said:
Why do you need new rototrs at all?

Most replacement caliper/brake systems come with new rotors included, for compatibility, using a set up with the same size rotors ensures direct bolt on convenience. Natas was recommending going to a larger rotor on the front for increased stopping power with a MTB brake system. Thats just plain old fashion good advise.

Damn EU rules

http://www.bike-eu.com/laws-regulations/nieuws/2018/07/provisional-anti-dumping-duties-apply-to-all-imported-e-bike-types-10134223

Dext3r said:
Damn EU rules

http://www.bike-eu.com/laws-regulations/nieuws/2018/07/provisional-anti-dumping-duties-apply-to-all-imported-e-bike-types-10134223

OMG what are they doing now with the EU? :shock: The government agents who made these rules are probably lobbyist's just representing the interest of in the EU located companies rather than the interest of the folk.

from the article:
Provisional anti-dumping duties on e-bikes imported from China are applicable to all e-bike categories; including L1 e-A and L1 e-B speed pedelecs.
..... All other Chinese e-bike exporters are hit by a 83.6% provisional anti-dumping duty.

I believe the road legal SurRon bike should belong to the motorcylce or moped category which is L1-e (without the letter A or B etc), so there might be a good chance that nothing changes from as it is now.

madin88 said:
Dext3r said:
Damn EU rules

OMG what are they doing now with the EU? :shock: The government agents who made these rules are probably lobbyist's just representing the interest of in the EU located companies rather than the interest of the folk.

from the article:
Provisional anti-dumping duties on e-bikes imported from China are applicable to all e-bike categories; including L1 e-A and L1 e-B speed pedelecs.
..... All other Chinese e-bike exporters are hit by a 83.6% provisional anti-dumping duty.

I believe the road legal SurRon bike should belong to the motorcylce or moped category which is L1-e (without the letter A or B etc), so there might be a good chance that nothing changes from as it is now.

Sur ron importers should just import the frame shipments and motor/battery/controller shipments separately, Easy.

Does anyone know if the serial number on the box matches the one on the head tube of the bike? Should be 15 digits long. I'm trying to see if I can buy the Sur Ron from Luna, but have them hold off on shipping it and send me the serial number. Then I'll try to register it at my DMV following the instructions posted on the Facebook page. Hopefully I'll know for sure if it goes through before having it ship to me...
Thanks!

Got an email they are excepting pre orders
For the homoligated version (street legal)
https://www.sur-ron.bike/revendeurs/
Tarif : 4479€ TTC + 50€ TTC (livraison)

Hey fellas do you know if a set of 888 marzocchi's will fit on the front of the Bee?

Thanks in advance!

n2mb said:
Does anyone know if the serial number on the box matches the one on the head tube of the bike? Should be 15 digits long. I'm trying to see if I can buy the Sur Ron from Luna, but have them hold off on shipping it and send me the serial number. Then I'll try to register it at my DMV following the instructions posted on the Facebook page. Hopefully I'll know for sure if it goes through before having it ship to me...
Thanks!

Yes, same number on the box as on the frame.

n2mb said:
Thanks!

Can you post a link to that page?

fechter said:
n2mb said:
Thanks!

Can you post a link to that page?

Here's the link:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10157721323918677&set=gm.814625332078599&type=3&theater&ifg=1

In case it doesn't work:
I followed the California moped registration path that we have used for a dozen mopeds from the 1970s.

This is the link to the CA form:
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/connect/8bf1936a-a49a-4063-a819-a5dfc8ff5691/reg230.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

Basically, the only main thing you need to justify to yourself is that you will not put your sur-ron into sport mode on the streets because the moped route is limited to 30 mph. If you can agree with this and or disable the switch then you can sign the doc and feel okay.

Second caveat, you should send in a $25 check with your application. The actual listed fee is lower but if you believe in magic, send in the $25 because they pass it along with no issues.

The whole process takes about a month and then you will be plated with a permanent plate. This means that once you register there is nothing else you need to do ever. When you sell the sur-ron just transfer the title like you would any other vehicle.

Last, people can not hear you, riding this on the road is a risk. We have upgraded our head light and are adding break lights. You should really think about doing the same thing.

Attached is the picture of a form with the info.

Good luck and welcome to the fun and exciting world of mopeds!

y7q4WRYbS_SAsvrznFE17cYceiEPFllI47mJvkYaVY_LbJZfTCrxuYn53TPHmVhweQjrQakgZR7glG17MCt6YxOdNcqWQhqy4Dw266h7QaLY6AqNe1Cb3HqCXHJqDOngQemC7rH4fZzTzzec7JnfezVAlRSgFQJZ5ypXEt0krbldveN-HVKI7cW5LOfLjEC_no5e4MHSlhlLcY2Y3m4CWZnEFql1VLImM5FJ9eNjmFyNgNcqpi968TIXX5_2Idyu3512BkU0_DCQfzkZTOWd7Ds0FbpZYdDSk3urhVRKfDu9_Olh2k--KKq01nu_zDTYauRkV1UtWulT9L3acFsXFs-VIb-qHpFlmOVDyr1ZImciHWWVJFMUY5_H0Oj10gb4OP0IpC5x-el3ni_fp5eMuRGyGcku4C1M8aiw-IfJfGgII-12lW6exGSCFxl8rZkrnmcmkO2qL_Er72jPDKpE2wW_e-XJHeOTeZ0wLzepj9CYNZ5Iqf2relVOSFLJClWl8iVaRWvElteyn1MSOebz3AbiknzrABhTv7Ncz48aFEuLcFnrC78IITWHvHLhgfONjRceKYQNZlIdbcxtVNFgckyePsb6AW0CQTAbCbA=w983-h1271-no

Subscribed!
I've been reading every page of this thread from a while and I found it very interesting (lot of off topic also).
For me like most European riders the only way of riding this thing would be with a license plate on the back so I would like to advice the distributors to check if 2.75-19 tyres are optional or only 70/100-19?
The reason is that trial tyres Shinko SR241 2.75-19 would be for sure a very good all around pair of tyres but if not present on the registration book they are not legal to be used on road.

Also a thing that I'm dreaming about is to have a Light Bee modded with a 14kW Max-E with a 20S14P Samsung 30Q battery. Would such a battery fit the battery box? And also will the new Max-E be able to drive the stock motor of the Light Bee?

And also what do you think about the regen brake Luna reported on the last video about the new X controller? I would like to have the regen connected with the brake switch insted of throttle release. I tried that option just once and in off road I do not like at all to have regen upon throttle release.

[youtube]f-hY30xl-rs[/youtube]

bigbore said:
Subscribed!
I've been reading every page of this thread from a while and I found it very interesting (lot of off topic also).
For me like most European riders the only way of riding this thing would be with a license plate on the back so I would like to advice the distributors to check if 2.75-19 tyres are optional or only 70/100-19?
The reason is that trial tyres Shinko SR241 2.75-19 would be for sure a very good all around pair of tyres but if not present on the registration book they are not legal to be used on road.

Also a thing that I'm dreaming about is to have a Light Bee modded with a 14kW Max-E with a 20S14P Samsung 30Q battery. Would such a battery fit the battery box? And also will the new Max-E be able to drive the stock motor of the Light Bee?

And also what do you think about the regen brake Luna reported on the last video about the new X controller? I would like to have the regen connected with the brake switch insted of throttle release. I tried that option just once and in off road I do not like at all to have regen upon throttle release.

[y

Grande Allesagio, the shinko 2.75SR241 will fit the rear and front. I have a shinko I am thinking of mounting on mine, measured everything and have determined it will fit with no knob trimming or additional modifications.

Ottimo Rix :D
Show me the Light Bee with SR241 as soon as you mounted it!
What about the new X controller? Would you like the regen brake under throttle release?

bigbore said:
What about the new X controller? Would you like the regen brake under throttle release?

Regen when the throttle is released sounds good to me, since I am used to driving a Tesla that does the same thing. As long as the brake lights come on when regen is active, that is good.

Actually, I haven't been able to confirm... Does the Sur Ron have a brake light?

bigbore said:

Oh YAH! I want the new controller, but I don't really care for the regen option. Its going to be a bit before I mount the 241, I just mounted the 70/100-19 Bridgestone M403 knobby front and rear, its way way better off road than the stock tires. I imagine I will keep the knobby on the front and go with the SR241 on the rear in the near future. On my KTM 250 and 450, I ran a big trials tire on the rear and the Bridgestone M51 up front, that was the best combination of tires I have ever ran on a dirt bike. It works well everywhere from enduro/GNCC woods riding conditions and worked well in the desert on hard packed and sand. Maybe this will be the case with my SurRon.

Back