My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this but; is it possible to tap into the brake lever motor cutoff to opporate a rear brake light?

I took the SRAM EX1 option off as it put me over budget at almost $500.00 more. They are charging $25.00 for the gear sensor which I am keeping. I am not 100% sure how the gear sensor helps (my first e-bike) but I can afford the upcharge. I was hoping it was free due to this posting from Frey back in May. "FREYebikes wrote: ↑May 23, 2018 11:18 am
About gear sensor, we will add it as a basic offer if most of customer need it or it can be choose depend on your demands."

Doing the money transfer today. The cost of shipping, duties, etc. is more than what my Cannondale cost me back in the day. :shock:

Thanks to this site and this thread in particular, I feel confident enough to put down a significant amount of money towards my first eMTB.

My AM1000 is coming with "tubeless ready" tires. I have tubeless on my regular MTB and like them but are they recommended for eMTB's? For my eMTB I am leaning more towards reliability than performance, this bike will be more for cruising dirt trails, etc. than technical riding. I just want to increase my odds of riding back vs. walking. Thanks for any input.

Marmalade said:
Ivanovitch, how is your battery rebuild going?

still awaiting delivery of some insulation materials...

Richard N said:
I don't know if this is the right place to ask this but; is it possible to tap into the brake lever motor cutoff to opporate a rear brake light?

As evidenced by Tom L post and followup observation a few pages back, it might be possible to use one of the light power out cables from the motor itself.
It seems one of them is actually actuated on brake signal. I need to do a setup to confirm this.

Otherwise, if you tap on the brake signal of the cutoff hall itself it's perfectly doable.
On my current BSS build, I used an optocoupler to feed the brake info to a Supernova M99 + E12 light system . The taillight is always on and gets brighter on braking, very neat.

Richard N said:

According to the AM1000 specs on Alibaba, the bike features the "MAGURA MT5 Ne [brake lever] with brake sensor". On the Magura website I could only find the "MT5e", which was specially designed for e-bikes and S-Pedelecs and has a brake light switch. I asked Frey whether their brake lever was the same or identical, but didn't get a confirmation. I also want a bike with brake light as I would try to homologate it in Germany. However, Frey said that a brake light should be possible, they are still checking.

18650 said:
According to the AM1000 specs on Alibaba, the bike features the "MAGURA MT5 Ne [brake lever] with brake sensor". On the Magura website I could only find the "MT5e", which was specially designed for e-bikes and S-Pedelecs and has a brake light switch.

the MT5 "-E" is basically just a switch terminated with a male Higo 2pins (red) connector and nothing else. This is what the supernova M99 (and many other "ebike" lights) use to detect braking.

If you've been following my posts I was negotiating a purchase with Ivy and we had agreed upon a configuration and price. I get instructions to wire the money for my bike. OK, went to my bank and they conducted the transfer of over $3,000.00. I sent Ivy a copy of the bank's transaction documentation.

I just got a call from Ivy, calling me from China saying she did NOT send that request for a wire transfer. She explained that someone must have hacked into the communications, upon investigation I noticed there was a difference in email addresses but very subtle. The person also knew all about the Frey bikes and options.

The REAL Ivy has this email address:
sales@frey.bike <sales@frey.bike>

The FAKE Ivy used this email address: sales@frey.bike <salesfreybike@dr.com>

Been a cop for over 25 years and I missed it. I thought Ivy just started another thread to finalize the sale and the thread had ALL the details of what I wanted on the bike.

Ivy (the REAL one) has been great. She called me as soon as she got my email with confirmation of the wire transfer and realized it was fraud. I called my bank and they are working on it. I still intend to buy from Ivy (assuming I didn't lose my money) but I wanted to give you folks a big Heads Up on this.

eltee said:
If you've been following my posts I was negotiating a purchase with Ivy and we had agreed upon a configuration and price. I get instructions to wire the money for my bike. OK, went to my bank and they conducted the transfer of over $3,000.00. I sent Ivy a copy of the bank's transaction documentation.

I just got a call from Ivy, calling me from China saying she did NOT send that request for a wire transfer. She explained that someone must have hacked into the communications, upon investigation I noticed there was a difference in email addresses but very subtle. The person also knew all about the Frey bikes and options.

Been a cop for over 25 years and I missed it. I thought Ivy just started another thread to finalize the sale and the thread had ALL the details of what I wanted on the bike.

Ivy (the REAL one) has been great. She called me as soon as she got my email with confirmation of the wire transfer and realized it was fraud. I called my bank and they are working on it. I still intend to buy from Ivy (assuming I didn't lose my money) but I wanted to give you folks a big Heads Up on this.

Weird that they hacked into Alibaba.com, I had thought that site was secure... Sorry to hear about your ordeal.

eltee said:
My AM1000 is coming with "tubeless ready" tires. I have tubeless on my regular MTB and like them but are they recommended for eMTB's? For my eMTB I am leaning more towards reliability than performance, this bike will be more for cruising dirt trails, etc. than technical riding. I just want to increase my odds of riding back vs. walking. Thanks for any input.
I've been running tubeless for 3 months now with no issues and personally would never take a tube over tubeless. But I always have a back up tube in case.

Stan's Sentry MK3 wheels and Schwalbe Nobby Nics 2.8 for tires, took off 2.5lbs of rotational weight with that combo!

eltee said:

Looks like that fake someone had access to legit account

Drop Dead Fred said:
Weird that they hacked into Alibaba.com, I had thought that site was secure... Sorry to hear about your ordeal.

They could be hacking the email of Alibaba, Frey or even the end user.
They are even hacking wire transfer emails for real estate transactions these days. People buy a home, get the Escrow wire info by email, transfer the money, only to find out the escrow never got it, and they lost it all...

Often the money cannot be recovered, as they will empty the account as soon as the money gets in, so the bank cannot reverse the transfer. I hope that wont be the case here...

Rule these days concerning wire transfer is to always call the recipient in person, on a phone number you know to be legit and with someone you spoked to before, ahead of the transaction.

Hi,

Alibaba is security, that is my email address sales@frey.bike not on Alibaba platform, I have changed a more complex password and it is safe now.
Thank you for all your attention.

Drop Dead Fred said:
eltee said:

I think what happens is that the hackers listen in on the exchange, and then at the opportune moment they insert themselves into the conversation. For one party the exchange goes on as normal only it's the hacker they are now dealing with, while the second party thinks that the first has simply not responded. It's a very sophisticated and effective theft. No one email was hacked, and yes, Alibaba is secure.

I'm no expert. . . but that's how I understand it.

tommie said:
Richard N said:
Now, how about that hardtail AM1000? 8)

Yes!! I`m patiently waiting on the road/hardtail version!

I really want a hardtail version too, I'm caving in though. Ivy and I are working out the details of an order right now. I figure that I can always order a frame when they are ready and swap everything over. I shouldn't have too much of a problem selling a FS-mtb frame for the G510 when that time comes. I hope.

In the mean time, I'm thinking about various ways to build a rear rack that attaches to the seat tube.

Any reason you prefer the hardtail?

Having moved from a hardtail to the Frey FS ebike I'll never go back. The ride is so much more comfortable. The loss of efficiency in peddling is easily made up for by the motor.

Tom L said:
Any reason you prefer the hardtail?

Having moved from a hardtail to the Frey FS ebike I'll never go back. The ride is so much more comfortable. The loss of efficiency in peddling is easily made up for by the motor.

It's all about the rear rack. If I can noodle a solid rack that doesn't just clamp on to the seat post, that might make me a convert. I'll never mount one on the stays either, I just don't like that arrangement.

I'm thinking of a sleeve that fits into the seat tube like a dropper would, but with a section that extends down the back of the seat tube to a clamp right below the top tube where it meets the seat tube. That give give me a nice solid mount that I can build off of. Without welding on the bike.

That’s a good reason. I hadn’t considered it as I rarely have to carry much of a load when riding. A backpack is usually enough for me.

For anyone wondering the Mudhugger MTB 27.5 inch mudguards fit on the AM1000 well. I’ll post a photo later. Bit hard to get to my bike for a couple of days.

Guys giving some thought to selling my AM1000. While I love the bike I just ordered an M600 Full Suspension frame and a new Ellsworth 27.5+ frame that I'm going to need cash to build those two... so kind of full on bikes at the moment. Plus if my wife figures it out I might be sleeping outside with the dog for a while! :lol:

Do you think anyone would be interested since I've only had it about 3 months?

Drop Dead Fred said:
Guys giving some thought to selling my AM1000. While I love the bike I just ordered an M600 Full Suspension frame and a new Ellsworth 27.5+ frame that I'm going to need cash to build those two... so kind of full on bikes at the moment. Plus if my wife figures it out I might be sleeping outside with the dog for a while! :lol:

List that thing on ebay since you are in the states. Should sell

TOLM said:
Drop Dead Fred said:

List that thing on ebay since you are in the states. Should sell
Ebayer from long ago but thought I would give peeps on here a chance first.

I received my black Frey Am 1000 last week and was very happy so far with the build quality. All the upgrades I ordered were included. (Sram, Magura, Rockshox etc). Really like this bike!! Had my local bike shop do the set up and also do a full checkout. He told me everything was properly assembled and torqued. I told him to test it out and he put the first 30 miles on it. He really liked it too!I like the plain black without decals, very stealthy looking!

Did I already say, I REALLY LIKE THIS BIKE!!

A few mistakes on MY PART when I ordered:
I should have gotten the 52 volt battery.
I did not realize that lighting is extra. (easily rectified)
Again, these were MY MISTAKES.

Ivy / Frey delivered exactly what I ordered! :p

I ordered the medium size as I trade this bike off with my wife and she is shorter. Myself at 6 ft find it just fine with the seatpost elevation raised to a proper height.

My only problem is the 3 pin charge port. I want to use my Cycle Satiator to charge this battery but I cannot find this type of plug. Can anyone tell me where to buy this plug so I can make an adaptor cable for the Cycle satiator? I hate to cut up the nice 5A charger they shipped with my bike just to make an adapter cable. It looks to be something like a mini XLR, but not key exactly the same.

Is this where I can ask IVY to ship me one? Of course I would expect to pay for it!

The charger plug looks like a 3 pin Mini-DIN, but without the square center post. Do they come without that post? Can you rid yourself of that post?

https://vetco.net/products/3-pin-mini-din-male-inline-plug-connector
open-uri20160601-21382-13m6ffe.jpg

Looks like there is no post in this image.
open-uri20160601-21382-nh92wn.jpg

Back