Kepler Bottom Bracket Friction Drive For Sale (Finally)

Kepler said:
So that leaves the full kits. Still waiting on a few parts to come in but tracking tells me they are on their way and should arrive very soon. For those waiting on full kits, I am hoping all parts to be in next week with the next weekend taken up with assembly and testing. Postage then planned following Monday.

Awesome news! As Jr once said, "I love it! Especially later in the summer." Hoping the kit will wend its way to me before mid August, wife and kids are away for the summer so I gots time to play.

G

Kepler said:
Hi Aeron. Let me know if I have missed a PM. Cheers.

Hi Kepler,

Don't worry, it was not very important, I'm just way too impatient :lol:
Thanks for your last update and your amazing work!

Edit: I've received my kit and your email for the manual. Unfortunately it seems there is a problem about the attachment. Can you send it again please ?

Hey Kep,

I have an order in for the developers version of the bracket... Is it possible to also purchase the part of the regular bracket that would allow me to change the developer version to a regular version if I decide too? If so could you add that on to the paypal payment request?

No worries if that can't be done.

Cheers,

L

John, lets say somebody bought the mount+button+interface from you, and also purchased a Flispky 6.6, what would be the most powerful, or dreamy setup you would recommend as far as a battery and motor combination?

This drive is about understated assist rather than performance. 20 Amps battery and 40 Amps motor is fast on a roadbike, too fast in most situations. So for me the dream setup is as light and as stealth as possible. FOC mode has been a major piece to puzzle. Not dead silent but quieter then a geared hub motor.

Seriously, a 6.6 is overkill for this drive. If you want a free ride, don't go near this drive. However if you like a bit of exercise and you want to ride your bike like a normal bike with super legs when you need them, then this is the drive for you.

15A Battery 30A motor, 6S or 7S is the the sweet spot for performance riding with 50% of that been perfect for comfortable 30kph cruise. Keeps the battery requirement small and light which is the whole point of this system.

Thanks, just sent you a PM.

Kepler said:
dods2 said:
Hi,
where can I see the option and how can I order a kit? Also how can I be sure it will fit on my bike?

Hi Dods2,

Lots of info on bike fit at the start of this thread. If you are interested, please send me a PM and we can discuss further

I ordered a Flipsky 4.12 for $95shipped from Flipsky website last week, and this week Im seeing them on electric-bay for $63obo, free shipping. Heres a link for anyone building this friction drive, wish I seen it earlier.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/HGLRC-Flipsky-V4-12-50A-SK8-Skateboard-Electronic-Speed-controller-RC-Accessory/263862528452?hash=item3d6f6ea9c4%3Ag%3ATBkAAOSwGnxbaFdD&_nkw=flipsky&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2380057.m4084.l1313.TR2.TRC0.A0.H0.Xflipsky.TRS1

Flipsky contacted the ebay seller and threatened them with the law in China for undercutting the mother company. FYI you dont mess with the law in China. Price shot up to $85OBO+free shipping on the electric-bay listing.

On the other hand- OMG this friction drive system is so small and awesome! The man behind the Kepler handle is a pleasure to deal with. Still waiting on Flipsky to show up in the mail, otherwise everything is ready to go! Ordered 6354 motor and Multistar 10000mah 6s from hobbyking and their shipping was super fast. Meanwhile..Im looking for an aluminum coffee cup same width as my yeti cup at the top is. This Aluminum cup with a waterproofing lid on it will house the battery and flipsky about 8” away from the motor on the downtube cup holder. How much more stealthy can this ebike stuff get? Genius!

The bike - a Surly Straggler frame - it's hanging on a hook so all the pics are turnt 90degrees :)
15344490961679.jpg

Zooming in..
View attachment 3

Here it is, I'm part of an exclusive club of Keplerites now...
Note that the drive is touching the wheel here, because the bike is turnt 90degrees :) normally gravity keeps it away thanks to the all-important gravity spring.

15344488618565.jpg

Wiring could be neature/more hidden..
View attachment 5
15344490531248.jpg

The Button That Makes It Go:
View attachment 6

Yesterday evening I took it for a proper test around the local park loop.

Nominal avg mph for me unassisted, 14...

It works! The fact I did whilst listening to Yakety Sax on repeat on the speaker, well it just makes me (I hope) the right kind of arsehole biker :)

Kepler said:
There has also been quite a lot of enquiries to purchasing a complete package. I am seriously considering this now the design has been refined.

I would be looking to offer the following package:

1: Drive mechanics
2: 63-54 200kv outrunner motor
3: fully programmed Vesc
4: Arduino microcontroller
5: Button throttle interface with 1.5m cable
6: 1.0mm motor extension cables
7: Bike seat bag modified to accept the Vesc, Arduino, and metr Bluetooth interface

I will not be supplying batteries due to the attached liability and difficulty in shipping however the drive will suit a host of 6S LiPo batteries readily available through Hobbyking of similar. And of course custom lithium Ion packs can also be used.

Price on the full package is still to be finalized

Hey John, any word on the full package?

Hi all,

To those who have purchased kits and yet to receive them, I am waiting on one more item to come in. This item required both laser cutting and machining to complete.

I have been promised by my supplier that it will be ready early next week. I apologize for the hold up but if you can be patient for one more week, I will have all outstanding orders shipped shortly after.

Thank you all for your understanding.

Hello,
Can anyone give me ballpark settings for the focbox running a turnigy SK3 6354 260KV motor with a 8000mAh 6S2P 22.2V Lipo battery ?
I don't need a lot of assist so would like to be conservative with the power. I've downloaded the BLDC tool and have the latest firmware installed ready to go but I'm a bit daunted with all the settings available(more a cyclist than a electrical engineer) It would be great if anyone could give the rough idea of the main settings I could start with. Kinda scared I'll mess up the kit by overlooking something.
Thanks
David

Setting should never be ball park, especially if you are running the motor in FOC mode. If you follow the motor connection wizard, it is really easy the set the motor up accurately and quickly. Just follow the prompts. I posted a video on how to configure the app and how to scale my interface here https://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=84905&start=350#p1398986

I can look at doing one for motor setup also if required.

Back