2000ft climb? How about 1000ft?

Lowell

100 kW
How many of you even have a 1000ft climb withing riding distance of your house? After looking at many city maps, it's obvious that even a 2000ft climb is totally out to lunch as far as what most people need in an ebike. (which we knew already)

So how about 1000ft. I see a few possible cities...anyone ebike in those areas?

Lowell said:
How many of you even have a 1000ft climb withing riding distance of your house? After looking at many city maps, it's obvious that even a 2000ft climb is totally out to lunch as far as what most people need in an ebike. (which we knew already)

over 100,000 people here are in walking distance of several 1000 ft climbs.YOU ARE TOTALY OUT TO LUNCH eating pancakes cooked on your hub motor.

Lowell said:
After looking at many city maps, it's obvious that even a 2000ft climb is totally out to lunch as far as what most people need in an ebike.

Like everyone lives in flatland citys. :lol: What people want is not the issue.What people are stuck with for choices IS!

Does a 65' bridge count? You gotta go some here in N. FL. to find a serious hill. Wait, we don't have ANY, only bridges. All of them are 65' max.
That's enough as most are pretty steep, and long, with lots of traffic but good bike lanes.

Isn't a 1000' hill a mountain? Would there be snow on top? Mountain goats? Sherpas? Randy's?

Mike

Yes, To answer your original question -- I live at the bottom or a 2,500 foot mountain and commute over it to 2,000' then down the other side on a Tidalforce M750X. I get the impression that not many ebikers have to deal with this terain as i get not much response talking about Megarange freewheels, larger chainwheels, upgraded brakes, switching battery packs and etc

Al

The M750X handles it well. I pedal medium to medium/hard all the time. I have Shimano XT brakes, 12ah Lipo, Hookworm tires, 32/42/52 chainwheels, 11/30 freehub

steepest sections are 17% grade but most is 4 - 10%
Commute is 15 miles, takes 50 minutes and uses much of 8.5ah front hub and 12ah Lipo

Downhill 30 - 40 mph, solid as a rock.

Just got Drain Brain installed -- no data yet

Hello Randy my old friend!!

You know, I'd much prefer to see you come down the 14,000 elevation via a 90 degree incline. LOL

Robbie

I have a 1600' climb home every day, up an average 8% grade. I think most people don't even realize they could make it if they had an ebike with a decent battery. That's part of the problem for me, as I've had a difficult time finding one capable. My 36V SLA dies part way up even though I pedal hard, then I have an extra 25lbs of dead weight to pull up. I finally found a 20Ah lithium from http://www.electric-bikes.com/betterbikes/batteries.html for a decent price but it has not yet arrived.

Fire Mountain said:
I have a 1600' climb home every day, up an average 8% grade.

What kind of e-bike do you have?

I found out over the weekend from friend that the new property is approximately 1030 ft above sea level (town) according to his GPS and about 7km away.

So I guess that puts me in the ballpark

Next up is the addition of an inclinometer to my bike. I guess to determine the grade, though I acticipate that it will not be anything too bad, at least when compared to some of the other roads on Island.

Greg

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/06/19/china.highway.ap/index.html

17060ft climb. Who will be the first ebiker to conquer Everest? At least to the base camp... :lol:
Average 4.82% grade for 67 miles.

Fire Mountain said:
I have a 1600' climb home every day, up an average 8% grade. I think most people don't even realize they could make it if they had an ebike with a decent battery.

Boing! Searching around the archives and stumbled across this gem. 1 post only from Mr. Fire Mountain and it's an identical commute. Crazy. Wonder where he/she lives. I also do 1,600ft around 8% average with a short 300yd 20%-ish grade and some 12-15% grades here and there. He's right... batteries are the key. 84v & 20-40A LiMn is getting me there... barely... and taxing the bejesus out of my Milwaukee packs. 15% total capacity loss at only 75 cycles and I see 8-12v sag under load in 2p. Need... more... parallel! Oof.

I've decided to address the issue by going to a trailer with the motor remounted in a 20" rim.

It should be easier to test different batteries by just sticking them in the trailer.

I have been too busy to put it all together but hopefully in the next couple of weeks I will test the rig out, but I have great expections.

Greg

I do a 1000ft over 1.1 miles for a 20% grade. Downhill in the morning.. uphill at night.

Thanks to a currie drive, upgraded BMS 36v-48v motor and 4 dewalts, I don't ever dread going home anymore.

ebinary said:
... a 20% grade. Downhill in the morning...

Holy crap. What's the top MPH you dare while going down?

Living here in the central valley of Costa Rica means there's a mountain to climb in every direction. The closest big climb starts about a mile from my house and is about 4,000ft over a 12 mile distance. The route is a steadily increasing and consistent incline, so I may give it a go sometime soon as a test of my rig, since the ride home would be all down hill.

John

Back