My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

Richard N said:
Tom L said:
Any reason you prefer the hardtail?

Having moved from a hardtail to the Frey FS ebike I'll never go back. The ride is so much more comfortable. The loss of efficiency in peddling is easily made up for by the motor.

It's all about the rear rack. If I can noodle a solid rack that doesn't just clamp on to the seat post, that might make me a convert. I'll never mount one on the stays either, I just don't like that arrangement.

I have a lightweight rack on my Cannondale Uber V seat post. Is there a reason you don't like them? Is it an engineering / stress issue or ??? I have a regular seat post on my bike. Just curious.

Your idea for one that uses the tube is interesting.

Richard N said:
The charger plug looks like a 3 pin Mini-DIN, but without the square center post. Do they come without that post? Can you rid yourself of

it's not DIN. The closest match I have found is GX-16 3-pins.

However, the stock cable is Reention-branded (the mfg. of the battery case), and It looks like the individual pin diameter is smaller than the GX.

Anyhow, Ivy is able to sell the spare charge cables. As well as the discharge plug & sockets.

I made an 3pin XLR to reention GX to use the satiator, works fine.

eltee said:
Richard N said:
Tom L said:
Any reason you prefer the hardtail?

Having moved from a hardtail to the Frey FS ebike I'll never go back. The ride is so much more comfortable. The loss of efficiency in peddling is easily made up for by the motor.

It's all about the rear rack. If I can noodle a solid rack that doesn't just clamp on to the seat post, that might make me a convert. I'll never mount one on the stays either, I just don't like that arrangement.

I have a lightweight rack on my Cannondale Uber V seat post. Is there a reason you don't like them? Is it an engineering / stress issue or ??? I have a regular seat post on my bike. Just curious.

Your idea for one that uses the tube is interesting.

I do think some of the beam racks for light duty use will hold up just fine, but I need something I can take to the grocery store. It's not uncommon for me to haul 40 or 50 pounds of food home on the bus. I've even gone back in the same day if there is a good sale; a case of canned plum tomatoes for making tomato sauce ain't light! :lol:

Also, I've go a crazy Idea that I'd like the option of wiring up a second battery pack carried in a rear rack. Something like the Reention RB-1plus would add another 60 cells.

Ivanovitch_k said:
Richard N said:
The charger plug looks like a 3 pin Mini-DIN, but without the square center post. Do they come without that post? Can you rid yourself of

However, the stock cable is Reention-branded (the mfg. of the battery case), and It looks like the individual pin diameter is smaller than the GX.

Anyhow, Ivy is able to sell the spare charge cables. As well as the discharge plug & sockets.

I am very impressed with both Frey and Ivy! First rate communication for what must be an endless stream of questions.

Ivanovitch_k said:
Richard N said:

My other chargers had XT60 so I just cut the Reention cable and spliced in XT60 connectors, works great and easy to get inexpensive XT60 connectors, just another option to consider.

Marmalade said:
..still waiting for the battery..seems to be lost!. In the meantime, I designed & cut some stickers to make it less...meh.

IMG_3460_1.jpg

Looks awesome

Frey seem to be having trouble with their email again:

The response was:

550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable or not local.

I sent Julie and email two days ago to Sales@frey.com and I got a response today. :D

In my experience in dealing in China for 20 years, this is a good response time!

This is due to the time difference combined with what time of day you send your emails.
If you send them early in the evening you should get a response within two days.

I replied to a message from Ivy about 5 minutes after I got it today (same address) and received the bounce response above. I was only thanking her for her after sales support so nothing urgent but they have had email trouble before. Thought this would be a good way to alert them.

Tasmania is only 2 hours time difference from Jinhua.

Probably Frey's receiving SMTP server, but you could try a test email from another email account just to eliminate your outbound SMTP server as a variable.

Hi Tom,

Our email works well now.
We just upgrade our email security yesterday night.
Anyone who sent email failed earlier please send again. we can receive it.

Tom L said:
Frey seem to be having trouble with their email again:

The response was:

550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable or not local.

Hi,

Thank you! it looks so good! I think we can also use white decal later.

Marmalade said:
..still waiting for the battery..seems to be lost!. In the meantime, I designed & cut some stickers to make it less...meh.

IMG_3460_1.jpg

Hi Gary,

we can arrange the charging connector for you if you want. I got your email earlier but just a little busy and replied you a little late.

garyal1 said:
I sent Julie and email two days ago to Sales@frey.com and I got a response today. :D

In my experience in dealing in China for 20 years, this is a good response time!

This is due to the time difference combined with what time of day you send your emails.
If you send them early in the evening you should get a response within two days.

Richard N said:
Ivanovitch_k said:
Richard N said:

I am very impressed with both Frey and Ivy! First rate communication for what must be an endless stream of questions.

I wasn't impressed and was disappointed and frustrated. My bike was supposed to be polished aluminum. Came flat black. Was supposed to have SRAM EX1 installed. Still haven"t got the groupset, but I see someone just got one delivered with SRAM recently? Ivy said none were available 6 weeks ago and wouldn't ship until Aug 20 a few days ago, so somebody's fibbing.

Lots of miscommunications despite my best efforts to pin things down and ask for updates via multiple messages. It was also delivered a few weeks later than promised. All-in-all, plenty of needless issues arose due to poor communication and/or language barrier.

For me it was also impossible to find suitable charge head so I cut the wire from original charger and put male and female XLR:s to wire so I can use the same wire on both chargers.

My bike arrived Monday night - the box was very damaged, but all seemed OK with the bike. Mine was also supposed to be an EX1 set, but Ivy said they will ship later when they arrive. My battery (21AH) was in the box with a charger separately. I ordered front and rear lighting and both were installed and operational off the switch.

Put it together, charged it, and took it for a ride. AMAZING ride, so much faster and smoother than my 750W Rad Rover. LOVE the full suspension, so plush and comfortable. Found a stretch and it very quickly hit 36MPH and still had a little left.

My previous ebike experience was hub motors, and I did not shift much except when needing to go up a hill, etc. For my riding I had mostly left it in the high gears, and I approached a stop light and decided to down shift to 1st an accelerate off the light using the gears. As soon as I shifted down the rear tire locked up and skidded to a stop. I looked to find the rear derailer snapped totally off. All I can assume is that it was bent in shipping and impacted the spokes when I went to first. I want to ride it, so I'll replace with another cheap one for now and upgrade to EX1 when it arrives.

I also plan this to be mostly an urban cruiser, so I will prob swap to smoother tires, add fenders, bigger seat, and rear rack as well.

Look forward to getting it repaired and ride some more!

image2 (1).jpeg
View attachment 1
image1 (1).jpeg

Hi trooper5707,
maybe the same issue as described in this post?
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=91035&p=1382410&hilit=bent#p1382410

Richard N said:
I wonder if that was done in shipping or if Customs tore into it, who was the carrier that delivered it?

Fed Ex to my house - the driver said was like that when he got it, was taping it up all day.

weak shipping packages & transit damages were reported since the first bikes deliveries on this thread...

@frey, use stronger carboard boxes !

18650 said:
Hi trooper5707,
maybe the same issue as described in this post?
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=91035&p=1382410&hilit=bent#p1382410

Yes, that sounds quite likely. I am a typical oversized American, 215lbs (but working on it!) - so I prob was bottomed out on the suspension and did the exact same thing that happened to me. I'll make sure to check loaded when I replace the derailer.

Ivanovitch_k said:
weak shipping packages & transit damages were reported since the first bikes deliveries on this thread...

@frey, use stronger carboard boxes !

Maybe add a spacer between the dropouts too, if there isn't one used already.

icehunter said:
For GPS GSM tracking, this seems perfect, just stick it to the frame and connect to battery
Input Voltage:9-80V
Item Size:about 9*5.2*2cm
Actually how the tracking itself is done, I have no idea.....

HTB1_JQkdMsSMeJjSspeq6y77VXak.jpg

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/mini-gps-tracker-portable-Waterproof-Builtin-Battery-GSM-GPS-for-motorcycle-vehicle-tracking-device-with-online/32830249741.html?spm=2114.search0104.3.1.7cd0203ds6IURa&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_1_10152_10151_10065_10344_10068_10342_10343_5722611_10340_10341_10696_5722911_5722811_5722711_10084_10083_10618_10307_5711211_10059_308_100031_10103_10624_10623_10622_10621_10620_5711311_5722511,searchweb201603_55,ppcSwitch_3&algo_expid=29061fd5-9b05-4a81-9240-417e0d529b2d-0&algo_pvid=29061fd5-9b05-4a81-9240-417e0d529b2d&priceBeautifyAB=0

hi - i just ordered my AM1000 but would be interested where you have placed your tracker that its sort of secure?
thank you in advance

Back