QS 3000w midmotor

bionicon said:
I run 19" wheels and 1 : 6 to the rear

What's your top speed? The spec sheet you got states noload RPM at 3800 but their test is over 5000! Makes me doubt the kV calculation i did.

Do you know the kV for your motor?

Ok, thanks! :D
I will get one with a chain sprocket. Could you post a pic of the axle interface? I wonder how easy it will be to eventually replace the sprocket or get a selection of sizes.

Did they have 219 chain sprockets?

larsb said:
I'd be interested. Pm sent.
I won't be buying Monstarrs motor, it's free for anyone that's interested!

I decided instead to buy a motor and controller kit from QS. Their Votol EM150S controller seems interesting: Hall angle setting, Flux weakening and error debug screen. plus it's prematched to the motor :D
View attachment VOTOL EMController Manual V2.0.pdf

larsb said:
Ok, thanks! :D
I will get one with a chain sprocket. Could you post a pic of the axle interface? I wonder how easy it will be to eventually replace the sprocket or get a selection of sizes.

Did they have 219 chain sprockets?

You best email to qs they make the axle like you want for me they make it work for 420 sprockets.

OK, i'll ask QS. So your axle was a custom order? How much extra did you pay?

I currently have a 5/8" axle with 3/16 keyway.
It's easy to source for 420 chain and sprockets or go-kart sprockets in #35 pitch

Is that what you got or did you get some other spec? I'd be happy if you can share it.

I asked QS for a quote for the same axle i have on the Revolt motor. Lets see the response.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

I think QS should be able to make some business with this axle option provided as a standard choice; it's cheap to get sprockets, there's a wide selection of sizes available and the longer axle provides a bit of freedom in the motor positioning, you can also easily fit an outer axle support bearing if you want to.

QS are not wanting to do a custom axle following my request.

The axle for the QS 2kw and 3kw mid drive motor is the same according to carrie at QS.

It's a tapered shaft from approximately dia 16mm to dia 25mm in 20mm with a metric woodruff key (5x6.5x16).

I can't seem to find sprockets for this. Anyone know a source and if it's a standard interface?

View attachment 2
image.png

I just received the Motor from Monstarr, and OMG the thing is bigger than it looks on the pictures :lol:

I got a Machinist who could make it fit a 12T sprocket for my Derbi Senda. But I'm wondering If I can't get the Rear belt pulley like larsb, and use that on my Derbi.

I wonder if a 1:4.77 reduction isn't too fast for a 17'' Wheel though. I initially wanted to do a 1:6 gear reduction, since I have a bunch of hills around my house. :?

QS 3000 vs D 3000 lol
rshzVIe.jpg

eee291 said:
I got a Machinist who could make it fit a 12T sprocket for my Derbi Senda. But I'm wondering If I can't get the Rear belt pulley like larsb, and use that on my Derbi.

I wonder if a 1:4.77 reduction isn't too fast for a 17'' Wheel though. I initially wanted to do a 1:6 gear reduction..

If you do a conversion of the axle, please share some pics :D

I agree that the original 1:4.7 reduction will probably be too fast and weak with 17" wheels, it's 105km/h at 72V without flux weakening. If it doesn't work out then i'll bolt a smaller 420 sprocket directly to the front pulley, should be pretty simple.

QS 3000 vs D 3000 lol

Thats another good example that Watt numbers say nothing about the size. See it more like a series number or just a product name :)
This motor likely can do 3 to 4 times the power it was rated for, maybe even real continuous with good cooling.

Regarding the belt drive i also think that a reduction of 4,77 will be to weak in therms of torque for your application. It was designed for small scooter wheels.
But belt drives ROCK because they are very silent, and regen works excellent (similar to a hub drive)! IT would be the best choice at least if you don't ride to much offroad or in the mud (belts don't like sand and mud).
Maybe you can find a larger pelt pulley from another supplier?

Yeah, I guess I'll go with the sprocket then. I got a New old Stock Derbi axle that I could try to adapt to the Motor, or have my friend slot the original one, but I think that would be much harder and more expensive.

Edit: I looked everywhere for a bigger pulley, but the price is already in the 100's of €

madin88 said:
QS 3000 vs D 3000 lol

Thats another good example that Watt numbers say nothing about the size. See it more like a series number or just a product name :)
This motor likely can do 3 to 4 times the power it was rated for, maybe even real continuous with good cooling.

Regarding the belt drive i also think that a reduction of 4,77 will be to weak in therms of torque for your application. It was designed for small scooter wheels.
But belt drives ROCK because they are very silent, and regen works excellent (similar to a hub drive)! IT would be the best choice at least if you don't ride to much offroad or in the mud (belts don't like sand and mud).
Maybe you can find a larger pelt pulley from another supplier?

Thats true, i am shore if i raise voltage from 58 to 84 volt it will do easy 17kw, for me now 11,5 kw is enough.
At this time its one of the best middrive motor for the money you can buy.

Hi guys it's been a slow month

But I finally finished it. Not quite how I wanted it but the sprockets had 4 M6 holes, so I got went the larsb way :D

I may purchase another front belt pulley from QS and try again. Since I don't have any machine shop near me that can work on the Axle.

Some pics: https://imgur.com/a/8X5Fq8R

Little side note:

The M6 Stainless Steel bolts were pressed into the pulley not screwed, after the threaded part of the sprocket, the Bolt was machined down to 5mm. My friend said i'd make the holes bigger and there would be even less metal for the screw to hold on to, if we threaded the holes in the pulley.

eee291 said:
Hi guys it's been a slow month

But I finally finished it. Not quite how I wanted it but the sprockets had 4 M6 holes, so I got went the larsb way :D

I may purchase another front belt pulley from QS and try again. Since I don't have any machine shop near me that can work on the Axle.

Some pics: https://imgur.com/a/8X5Fq8R

Looks good and functional! Did you turn down the pulley to only keep the axle and key interfaces?

Is pulley made of steel or alu?

Pulley is made from 100% steel (I thought it was plastic at first)

Yes I kept the original axle and pulley because my friend doesn't feel like it in the summer because he has no AC :roll:

I think I'm gonna weld the next one.

Also, the Motor doesn't quite weigh 30lbs. More like 24lbs with all the wires put on the scale.

Apaologies if this is off topic, but i have an LMX 161 and wanted to know what would be the best upgrade motor that has been mentioned in this thread? I would like to avoid any fabrication of the nice lmx frame if possible.
Thanks
Andrew :)

Back