Dr. Greger explains the cause of insulin resistance, p 17 and explains how to reverse heart failure pg 17

so i blended my own PB.
what i dont like is they add SUGAR to PB. 3g of a 32g portion is sugar,
and hydrogenated veg. oil. this is bad evil stuff, but it keeps it from separating.
some add palm oil which is almost as bad. 2.5g of 32g is this bad stuff.
So I cut this evil in HALF. now just 1.5g sugar and 1.25g evil. :evil:
My old 40oz jar had 4oz left. I took 4oz whole peanuts and put them in my food processor for 1 minute. Then mixed real granulated peanuts into the kid jar, and made an adult PB that is not too sweet and tastes more like real peanuts. It is finer than chunky, but not smooth anymore. Tastes great! Had 1 ounce to make up for that 2oz chicken at lunch.

Years ago i started making a rice dish with kidney beans. a simple chili. I'd add whatever meat and have a meal. Actually 3 meals, i'd save 2. That was 1 cup rice and 1 can beans.
'
Then i cut it to 1/2 cup rice due to reports of arsenic in rice :roll: and added another bean.
'
Next i cut the rice to 1/4 cup when i learned white rice causes sugar spikes in the blood, and is a crappy food.
Now there is no rice at all. And i use dried beans (soaked overnight).
1/2 cup lintels and 1/4 cup black beans. Anyone that has eaten beans knows that they don't really taste good without seasoning. So i add a teaspoon of stew seasoning mix, and some chicken bone broth. And 3/4t salt. And a whole onion. And today, corn from an ear.
3 meals, i save 2. There is enough protein from the beans that meat is not needed.
Since i have roast pork in the freezer, i added 1 ounce too.
Probably costs about $1 to make 3 healthy meals. :mrgreen:

Here is clinical proof of what happens to those that go on a low carb diet!
Rare study with MRI images showing inside 8)
What do you think? Do the facts match your perception?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTuK6QKBvcc

There is certainly a lot of disinformation around when it comes to food. Seems like what is considered "unhealthy" changes about weekly.

But there is a lot of research that indicates too much sugar or high glycemic foods are almost guaranteed to cause diabetes over time (and all kinds of other illnesses). And how you eat may be almost as important as what you eat. 40g of sugar spread out in small doses over the day is not the same as gulping it all down in 5 minutes. Combinations of foods are also a factor. Some things may be fine by themselves, but in combination become especially damaging. Sugar combined with fat is a bad combination. But I love donuts and ice cream....

Everyone is a little different too, so what is bad for one person may be OK for somebody else. A lot of this has to do with the microbiota in your gut, which we seem to know very little about. Only recently has it been feasible to even identify many of the species in there. It's all incredibly complex and oversimplified analysis does not give predictable results.

Perhaps I'm being misunderstood here. I do the low carb thing for a limited time, for a reason. I'm definitely NOT saying anybody should do the paleo diet or any of the many fad variations of extreme low carbs for a lifetime.

I went paleo for a time several years back, because I was literally about to die. I came very close. You must know my story by now, but briefly it was this. I got west nile while already infected with lymes. Double whammy of chronic fatigue resulted, which I still have a big problem with. Soon the loss of ability to digest anything at all resulted in a yeast colony in my gut that was going to kill me. It was making my blood into formaldehyde, and I had a hangover that lasted 18 months. Any worse, I was going to die. Only a completely carb free diet for two years could get my gut bacteria back on the job. I had to literally starve that bad yeast, allowing other microbes to restore the balance. Antibiotics would only make it worse, killing the good with the bad.

IT SAVED MY LIFE. F--c the other effects on my heart, or whatever. I was nearly dead, almost left this world right then. And all a doctor could tell me, was, "there is no treatment for your CFS". Obviously a diet this extreme would have other effects. I only wanted the one effect at the time, survival.

Now, I have another problem, caused by a year of stress and the insurance company putting me in a house literally 200 feet from this towns main fast food row. Yeah, I binged on that crap for a year while the f--head contractor tried to ruin my house and rip me off on the remodel. So I'm back on low carb just to lose 15 pounds in a relatively short time. Then I'll be back on a balanced diet, and won't be binging potato chips and ice cream because the stress level was off the charts. By end of summer, I'll be eating carbs in normal quantities again along with tons of veggies. I'll stay off butter and on olive oil. I have no blood pressure problem, so I'm not worried about my circulation yet. But right now, that liver the size of a sofa cushion has got to slim down. I can feel its smaller already, but I do want to get 5 more pounds off before I resume a normal diet.

A good diet is just common sense. It can include sodas and fried potato chips. Just not a 32 oz soda daily, nor a whole bag of chips daily, or a quart of ice cream daily. But human nature is to react to stress with too much of something that makes you feel better. Often the real solution is a big life change, to get rid of that stress and the hormones that it brings. The CFS makes me pretty intolerant of alcohol, so I binged on carbs to get through last summer. Now I just need to fix that, with a fairly extreme low carb diet being preferable to me, vs a tasteless ( to me) extreme low oil and fat diet.

Last night, it was stew. it did have potato in it, but not 50% potato. The meat too lean, olive oil was added to make it a decent gravy. Simple really, but we think a reasonable carb portion is very low now, and a reasonable portion size is tiny, after the portions we've been fed in the last two decades by the food industry.

Dan
Glad you are still here to tell the tale!
I have given up all oil's and butter too. They really don't do anything for me taste wise. They are to me, just liquid calories, like sugar water with no flavor. If i'm going to eat something calorie dense, it is going to be ice cream :D There is plenty of oil in peanuts without having to add more. I add salt to veggies and sprinkle on some cheese. Might not buy any more cheese, but it is good to add if my weight drops below 120.
When i was a kid i used to love margarine, but they cancelled my brand due to trans fat. I only put a tiny bit on, but it tasted great. I've tried others but none compare. They don't like to melt easily, and don't taste good. So salt for me does the trick. I was not getting enough salt, so veggies are any easy way to get enough.
So half the food in my fridge i don't plan to buy again. It will be a month until i use it up, and my new plan fully kicks in.

Matt Gruber said:
good carb: fresh strawberries
bad carb: strawberry preserves
right tom? is this what you mean?
Yes, and whole grains rather than processed, but in moderation.

Matt Gruber said:
Dan
Glad you are still here to tell the tale!
I have given up all oil's and butter too. They really don't do anything for me taste wise. They are to me, just liquid calories, like sugar water with no flavor. If i'm going to eat something calorie dense, it is going to be ice cream :D There is plenty of oil in peanuts without having to add more. I add salt to veggies and sprinkle on some cheese. Might not buy any more cheese, but it is good to add if my weight drops below 120.
When i was a kid i used to love margarine, but they cancelled my brand due to trans fat. I only put a tiny bit on, but it tasted great. I've tried others but none compare. They don't like to melt easily, and don't taste good. So salt for me does the trick. I was not getting enough salt, so veggies are any easy way to get enough.
So half the food in my fridge i don't plan to buy again. It will be a month until i use it up, and my new plan fully kicks in.

No added fat other than what is in fruits, vegetables and whole grains. No dairy and a rare treat BBQ with 100% grass fed beef or field raised bug eating chickens. The fat content of both is completely different than the factory meats. BUT I don't need the added fats. Forks Over Knives and McDougal are our source of recipes. We don't consider ourselves vegans, just WHOLE FOOD eaters. Never, or extremely rarely ANY processed foods. I feel so much better and now stress eat a bowl of carrots, super sweet organic or sustainably grown.

We do fresh mashed potatoes and have a great gravy recipe that we break and has ZERO added fat. Fat makes fat IMO and IMPE. I don't pretend to know what is good for anyone else. But tend to stay away from the fads and anecdotal diets.

Explains how cocoa is healthy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-tfm9waeAE

Will use it in my oatmeal.
It is fun to experiment.

healthy and best bang for your buck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOn1hVZUDvo
I've ordered 500 seeds for a test for $1
also check out the Indian gooseberry - as good as drugs!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOn1hVZUDvo
I've ordered some amla powder from ebay. 100g for $5

Looks like garlic can replace the gooseberry!
Less than 1/4 teaspoon a day of raw garlic power does the trick. I'm using it in my bean dish, but, until now i was cooking it. Now i add it just before serving.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woGchKZsY-k&t=133s

Netflix show said that you lose 2lbs when sleeping.
Best to walk/run/workout right after you wake up and before you eat.
I like eggs, and cut out pop.

Until recently i liked eggs too. But, studies show that they cause cancer to spread, due to the high choline. So the new plan is to avoid foods that cause cancer, CHD, etc. The research points to animal products as the cause, especially animal saturated fat. Dr. Natasha did not check the research over the last 70 years. I did. Luckily i like nuts, fruits, and veggies, so no problem finding plenty of plant based food that does not cause an early death.

The main thing is listening to your body, and finding out what works for your taste, lifestyle, your personal digestion capabilities, and your health.

This is one thing the better fad diets stress as important, that first step being some kind of cleanse type diet, then adding in foods one by one so you have a possibility of noticing what irritates you personally. In my case, a lifetime problem with carbs was my problem, but I did not realize all my digestive issues were from that, till I got sicker. I never would have guessed paleo was what I needed. I was told this on a website by an English doctor who specializes in prescribing diets for people with specific illnesses. She said if you have CFS and have this list of symptoms, you have developed fermenting gut. So when I went paleo, it was not just jumping on this or that fad.

Dr Mayhill literally saved my life. I was calling paleo diet hogwash till I saw what she had to say about my particular illness.

So anyway, I'm not knocking anybody who wants to eat more toward vegan. Its just hard for me to do it. For me, animal fat is crucial simply because I can digest it, while other things I still don't have quite the right intestinal bacteria population to digest. This is most peoples underlying cause, antibiotics often upset your digestive bacteria. If a certain strain is wiped out completely, you might now have a food you cannot digest anymore. Milk is the easy one, lots of probiotics for this. Other bacteria harder to replace, but I have always felt that eating dirt can be one way to get them back. I don't mean chow down on mud full of ameobas, but maybe it is ok to eat that carrot that fell on the floor without washing it.

Dan
Food is also medicine. You have to eat to live short term, or there is no long term.
years from now, when your gut is healed, what will you be eating?
For me, i was shocked that meat causes such disease, with studies going back 100 years. So long term i expect to kick the habit. I'm still eating what is in my freezer, as i'm still learning how to make tasty dishes without it. and my gut is fine last few months, no complaints there. Years ago if i ate lots of fruit, i'd get loose stools, so far even 5 plums a day is fine.
Thanks for posting; we don't have to agree, everybody has different things going on.
update on my bean dish: with fresh corn and an onion, it tastes good. Trick with beans is to add something that give it a little crunch. celery good too. or whatever is in season, even if it doesn't crunch, it adds fresh flavor. carrots, collards, okra, etc.
looks like milk is unhealthy, will have to phase out ice cream :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK2E7Q-Cf4A

so i spent $39 on vegan food, hanging from my ebike.
made a side dish of beet greens and broccoli. i never had beet greens before, tastes like spinach. good! ate it all.
a 14oz beet is going into my bean dish. should end up very red.
$20 was nuts, 38oz of almonds $12 and 16 oz pistachios $8.
got my broccoli seeds and i learned to grind them in a coffee grinder for magical Sulforaphane. Easier than growing sprouts. Sulforaphane seeks out cancer cells in the bloodstream and turns them off so they die. Everybody has faulty cells, but meat, eggs and dairy inhibit the action of the immune system. Send in the Sulforaphane 8)
Said to have many other benefits, like anti-aging. Numerous studies prove it works on cancer cells. Not cheap like flax seeds, but fascinating to try. i can mix the powder w/PB(makes it crunchy) or put it in my cold bean dish. (cooking can ruin it)
Thanks for reading; nobody agrees on food, that is why stores sell 100,000+ items :mrgreen:

[/quote] from tomjasz

Complex sugars and carbs stripped of nutrition suck, but Esselstien, MacDougall, and Ornish have shown there are healthy carbs. Until my kidneys failed, eating a high starch diet reversed several health problems. But never highly processed nutritional stripped carbs.
[/quote]

i watched this MacDougall video. verygood:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuOa3avtdNA

Matt Gruber said:
so i spent $39 on vegan food, hanging from my ebike.
made a side dish of beet greens and broccoli. i never had beet greens before, tastes like spinach. good! ate it all.
a 14oz beet is going into my bean dish. should end up very red.
$20 was nuts, 38oz of almonds $12 and 16 oz pistachios $8.
got my broccoli seeds and i learned to grind them in a coffee grinder for magical Sulforaphane. Easier than growing sprouts. Sulforaphane seeks out cancer cells in the bloodstream and turns them off so they die. Everybody has faulty cells, but meat, eggs and dairy inhibit the action of the immune system. Send in the Sulforaphane 8)
Said to have many other benefits, like anti-aging. Numerous studies prove it works on cancer cells. Not cheap like flax seeds, but fascinating to try. i can mix the powder w/PB(makes it crunchy) or put it in my cold bean dish. (cooking can ruin it)
Thanks for reading; nobody agrees on food, that is why stores sell 100,000+ items :mrgreen:
Interesting....will read more on Sulforaphane!

tomjasz
Here is where i learned the seeds can be ground instead of sprouted. i think they should sit for 10-20 min before eating to allow for the chemical reaction
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0lBVCpq8jc
This is good too! Awesome DR. Esselstyn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10775jTmTqs

here is a great video of reversal of diabetes in the Marshall Islands
90% had diabetes as they ate only junk food!(mostly popular foods, but i've learned they are junk)
no more junk food, no more diabetes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sexg6QOHVp8

so after weeks of research here are todays meals and snacks:
1. old style oatmeal w /ground flax seed and berries, 1 slice home made bread w/peanut b and jelly, black tea.
snack: 1/2 mango
2. lunch, 6oz broccoli, 4-6oz sweet potato, walnuts + pb maybe on 1 slice or used as a dip.
snack: finish mango
3. dinner: bean dish described earlier w/ 1/8t raw garlic, w/ cooked mushrooms and onions.
snack: banana, almonds.
So it is really simple to eat healthy, after much research :roll:
And nobody is expected to agree that all of this is the MOST healthy, it is just better than what i was eating:
1. pancakes w/canola oil, egg, sugar, 1/2 cup flour.
2. HB on roll w/ketchup, white potato.
3. pasta w oil and chicken
ice cream for snacks along with banana + mango
BIG change: no more oil(except in my car engine), more veggies, less flour, no eggs, no dairy, no beef, chicken, pork, or fish. Nothing that has been shown by studies to cause an early death, or disease.

Dr Greger cites research that shows how to lower your blood pressure and prevent platelets from sticking together and clogging, just by eating the right food:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woGchKZsY-k
I was cooking garlic in my bean dish WRONG now i add raw powder before eating.
better than taking meds i'm told.
Dr Greger finds the best bean, and when to eat it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXxFdBwvLRE

most of this was on sale,
1st i mash a 6 oz potato into a 3.3 oz onion,
put a sliced 4 oz carrot on top
yellow squash, sliced, 4 oz, goes around that.
add a sliced mushroom
and 6 brussel sprout halves
all of this is cooked.
and some salt.
1 oz peanut butter as a dip.
and i drank the veg broth it made when it cooked.
To make it UNhealthy all i'd have to do is add oil, butter or margarine. Bread may be bad, not sure, so i limit bread. To die years sooner, add cheese, chicken, beef, fish or pork.(every day, not just this 1 meal) Here are the studies presented by Dr Greger:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBjC0NobO-Q
so dan, is there anything here you can eat?

markz said:
Gruber - No onion in there along with the brussel sprouts?

Dr Greger's positive report on onions is what inspired me to buy 3 bags at $1/bag, 7.5# of onions :mrgreen:
guess you missed the 1st item: potato mashed into 3.3 oz onion.

Back