Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

hey guys, maybe someone can help me out with this.

I prefer a thumb throttle over a twist (I'll try the twist but may switch it over if I don't like it). I see that this bike uses a cable which attaches to a hall sensor module in the bike.

Since I doubt I can find a suitable cabled thumb throttle, would I be able to bypass this hall sensor module and just run my ebike thumb throttle wires directly into the controller?

Thanks,

is there any anti spark system built in on this bike? when you swap the battery

what safety features it has like fuse, circuit breaker, pre charge,.... ?

Offroader said:
do you think its worth waiting for the X version? This is what I'm thinking because I already have a capable ebike it is worth waiting. I really want a controller with sine wave and also with field weakening. I don't know if the current version has field weakening, but field weakening is such an important feature.

If you compare this Sur Ron to ie the Qulbix's new mid drive the Sur Ron will save you serious money. If you are hot for a better controller why not spend some of that saving on a high quality controller? I can think of two brands to look to, ASI BAC 8000 or the Mobipus that seems to be back on the market. The ASI controller is the one Luna(??) used on their hot rodded version, you might have seen the video where they race the sur ron against a motorcycle? Iirc the price was about 800$ for the controller, I've read it will peak north of 30 kw :twisted:

The mobipus I think was about half that. Not sure if my memory is correct but I think peak for mobipus was in the 12-15 kw range. That one is also sine wave. Plus you can add windows tablet to use as a pretty nice dashboard with all kinds of cool visual information. From speed to battery health and gps etc.

ASI 8000 would for sure be my choice for giving the Sur Ron the power it deserves and needs to be a fully off road hooligan bike, one that you also can ride in a responsible manner should you choose to do so. That way you can receive your new Sur Ron during next week already, and take the new mid drive monster with its new controller out for riding next weekend. With plenty of power on tap. That way you don't have to wait until next season to enjoy the mid drive. And as you ride steep stuff I think you would really enjoy a powerful mid drive.

Have look see and think about it. Three times the power of your current bike, but you can still choose to ride it in a safe manner.
http://accelerated-systems.com/products/escooters-emotorcycles/

BCTECH said:
is there any anti spark system built in on this bike? when you swap the battery

what safety features it has like fuse, circuit breaker, pre charge,.... ?

There is a circuit breaker best to turn it off before unpluging and removing the battery

Offroader said:

I prefer a thumb throttle over a twist (I'll try the twist but may switch it over if I don't like it). I see that this bike uses a cable which attaches to a hall sensor module in the bike.

Since I doubt I can find a suitable cabled thumb throttle, would I be able to bypass this hall sensor module and just run my ebike thumb throttle wires directly into the controller?

Thanks,

The cable leads to a pot box buried in the frame. Inside the pot box is a hall effect gizmo you could possibly cut the wires off and splice to a standard hall throttle. I think it wouldn't be too hard but you'd have to meter the wires to figure out what does what.

Hi guys ! my brake pads are completely worned out and im wondering whats best replacement? i heard magura mt5 pads are good? are they a direct fit? any link to purchase? any other alternatives?

nicolasbv15 said:
Hi guys ! my brake pads are completely worned out and im wondering whats best replacement? i heard magura mt5 pads are good? are they a direct fit? any link to purchase? any other alternatives?

Anything of the same size as stock ones would be good. You can see the image below for comparison.

yVxJ7DW.png

Avid Trail brake pads should fit perfectly.

fechter said:
Offroader said:

Thanks,

The cable leads to a pot box buried in the frame. Inside the pot box is a hall effect gizmo you could possibly cut the wires off and splice to a standard hall throttle. I think it wouldn't be too hard but you'd have to meter the wires to figure out what does what.

No you don't wanna loose the pot box, the pot box is pretty much what makes the throttle work flawlessly in any weather condition. Heavy rain fall is not a problem because throttle is wire operated and the pot box and halls are hidden away from the rain and bad weather.

Consider doing any needed mods to the thumb throttle or cable rather then the pot box, that way you don't end up with getting stuck'd in the pouring rain because the halls short out due to rain. Regular e-bike throttles are working well in nice weather, when rain is pouring it is a different story. Pot box for the win.

Offroader wrote:

Can anyone comment how well and how difficult it is to wheelie this bike?

I've heard mid-drives because of lag in the chain and drive train or something like that, make it difficult to wheelie. I am wondering how difficult it is to wheelie this bike compared to a hub motored bike.

I haven't tried to wheelie a hub motor bike but I have seen some stealth bike videos where the guys are pretty awesome. I had my youngest grandson video the old man on the Sur-ron.

[youtube]VZ-oc_PUKRI[/youtube]

macribs said:
Consider doing any needed mods to the thumb throttle or cable rather then the pot box, that way you don't end up with getting stuck'd in the pouring rain because the halls short out due to rain. Regular e-bike throttles are working well in nice weather, when rain is pouring it is a different story. Pot box for the win.

I agree you don't want to sacrifice water resistance. But it is not that hard to take almost any hall throttle and make it waterproof by potting the hall sensor wires. I have some I tested underwater.

Anyone have a part number for a throttle tube that will work. I see a lot of dual cable and cam type ones. Not sure if it matters.

Allex said:
very good wheelies!

Heres is an X with MTB tire up front. 50mm rise on the handlebars.
yq8jp4.jpeg

How about a side view pic?

@ Kim, nice wheelies indeed. I can do a short "power wheelie" on mine, but I am not good at doing the wheelie the way you are with throttle, balance, and brake control.

Those 50mm rise handlebars look like the bomb. They have the right shape. And you can see from this picture they need to be higher.
85 bee.JPG

motomoto said:
Those 50mm rise handlebars look like the bomb. They have the right shape. And you can see from this picture they need to be higher.
85 bee.JPG

The bikes are not at the same level. Look at the top and bottom of the wheels.

I see Shinko makes a SR241 tire in 3.50-19 size. Does anybody know if this will fit in the rear? The next smallest size is a 2.75-19 which I'm sure would fit both front and rear.

fechter said:
I see Shinko makes a SR241 tire in 3.50-19 size. Does anybody know if this will fit in the rear? The next smallest size is a 2.75-19 which I'm sure would fit both front and rear.

Honestly, I think the best tire would be a Shinko 241 3.000-18" for the rear. The 3.50" tires are way too big and heavy.

I run a shinko 241 3.00 in 17" on my Q76R hub motor bike, and the tire is very good, probably the best for a hub motor ebike, its way fat enough and is not too heavy with a super soft tread compound and thick knobs. From what I heard when you go up to the 3.5" size you are adding like double the weight of a 3.0" tire. I think Rix told me that the 3.5" tires get too big and heavy. I see no reason why anyone would want bigger than a 3.0" tire. A 3.0" tire will run about 5 lbs, a 3.5" tire about 10lbs, but I could be wrong here as I never weighed the 3.5", but that is what I was told.

Here are the outer diamter of the shinko 241 tires.

2.75-19 = 25.16" This is probably close to the stock tires on the Sur-Ron
3.00-18 = 24.69" This is close to the 19" tires the sur-ron comes with so it won't affect geometry that much.
3.50-19 = 26.57" This is way bigger than the stock 19"

As you can see, the 3.00-18" is a very good size to keep it close to the stock tire, it is still light weight at around 4 or 5 lbs, it is a very fat tire. I love this tire at 17" on my Q76R. Compared to the tread on the 2.75-19" shinko 241, the 3.00 inch is super soft, and molds very easily to the ground with our light bikes. I have and ran both the 2.75-19" and 3.00"-17", the 3.00" version of the tire is way better. The 2.75-19" is very stiff and hard, not good for a light ebike.

I run my 3.00" shinko at 11-14PSI.

Of course you would only want this on the rear of the bike and not the front. It also doesn't matter if you use 18" rims on the rear, most dirtbikes use different size rims on front vs rear.

Here is the webpage for all these specs. Click on show advanced specs.
https://www.shinkotireusa.com/product/sr241-series/211922

Does anyone know the cheapest place to purchase a Sur-Ron if you live in USA? Is Luna cycles really the only way to get this bike in USA? I hear people saying they paid $2600 for it on youtube.

fechter said:

a few ppl on the fb group Sur-Ron Owners are running shinko 241 3.5 x 19 .. but the tire will likely rub the chain or kickstand bolt if you don't trim the tire side knobs..

efMX Trials Electric Freeride said:
fechter said:

a few ppl on the fb group Sur-Ron Owners are running shinko 241 3.5 x 19 .. but the tire will likely rub the chain or kickstand bolt if you don't trim the tire side knobs..

Plust its to big, the diameter of the 3,5x19 is around 26", or about 1.125" bigger than the stock front.

Offroader said:
Does anyone know the cheapest place to purchase a Sur-Ron if you live in USA? Is Luna cycles really the only way to get this bike in USA? I hear people saying they paid $2600 for it on youtube.

Those folks are buying directly from Sur-Ron in China, and they are probably saving a little money as the foreign exchange rate can vary in benefit of the US dollar.

efMX Trials Electric Freeride said:
fechter said:

i went to the 3.5 shinko 241 and have not looked back. Yes it's heavier, yes its close to the chain and kickstand, but it fits with slight mods. I just took my kickstand off. You can shave some off of the spring bolt and it fits fine. None of that matters as the amount of TRACTION is through the roof!!!!. Control on descents is much improved and i've found on climbs im never spinning out as i have with stock or 3.00 tires I've tried. My setup is 2nd gen stock bike with the luna 60t. i run a shinko 3.00 244 for the front and the 3.5 241 in the back. eco mode is in the range of 25mph and sport is about 35mph with this tire. It's possible to run the 19" tubliss system with this tire on the stock rim. it takes some effort, but can be done. again low tire pressure equals more traction... Me im off in the trails most of the time so this is what works for me... If your the road guy or mtb guy worried about weight than just do what works for you. The sur ron for me has always been an off road smile bringer that doesn't need gas...

Thanks for all the useful replies!

Still not sure what I want to do yet, but I'll most likely be spending most of my time on pavement and only occasionally get off road. But when I do get off road, I want some amount of traction.

I've read all 74 pages of this thread. I'm so amazed.... should I pull the trigger or what? is it worth it? what are some of the first mods I should look into doing when it arrives?

Back