Proper setup for touring?

markz said:
filtvet said:
Anyway, 115 km is max for me on one day anyway....

I'd use this BOB trailer setup, but they are expensive so a home made one would suffice for myself.
BOB Trailer.jpg

BOB is great, but a real hassle transporting to the destination - like e-bike in general. I have to take the car or train as the battery is too large to transport on a plane. Most airliners prohibit even a ebike without a battery....

That is why Justin at GrinTech sells his LiGo batteries!
A couple or a few of the 36V 2.7Ah in parallel isnt that bad for e-bikers who pedal and want light assist. You are paying for the high quality and very high quality control. Now would the gate TSA agent know the difference, who knows. But Justin commented that he hasnt had any problems with TSA. Another option is courier shipping to your destination, but other then that yes there are problems like in your situation.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=88901&p=1297082&hilit=batteries+take#p1297082
Since the batteries are each individually under 100 Wh, this means that when you unplug them it now becomes a device with sub-100 Wh batteries allowing you to take it on a plane. This is one big advantage of the smaller modules compared to having a single 200 Wh or 300 Wh battery. 100 Wh by itself is really not nearly enough capacity to be truly useful, while 200-300 wh is about right (Still light enough to carry easily but sufficient range for 15-25km trips.)

filtvet said:
BOB is great, but a real hassle transporting to the destination - like e-bike in general. I have to take the car or train as the battery is too large to transport on a plane. Most airliners prohibit even a ebike without a battery....

Stu Summer said:
Donn, I would sure like to see a photo of your set up. I bought a Ryan Vanguard this summer, already mounted with a 500w cyclone mid drive. I am just about to pull the trigger on a Luna Mac 6t for the front in hope of: 1. raising top speed to 30, especially up gradual hills and 2. increasing stability/decreasing squirrelliness at the front end.

Also, I would love to see how you are going to mount your fairing. I have an old fairing laying around from a df but haven't wanted to spend the time (or money$$$$) on a mount. I have strong experience on my df ebike of the huge effect of the fairing on efficiency and comfort.

Here's an early cut. The black stuff is "fluted polypropylene", forming crude housings for the battery, and the controller and tangle of wires below the top tube. The band over the battery housing is steel, bolted together underneath, to make it a little difficult for someone to walk off with the battery. There's a wood deck on top of the top tube, made of a douglas fir 2x4 cut in half and attached in the front to one of the water bottle bolt holes and in the back to the handlebar mounting rail under the top tube. I may regret using something so fragile in the middle of all this junk, but I need a stable place to attach stuff, and wood is sure easy to attach stuff to. The computer is currently mounted there, but it's just wide enough to hit my knees, so it's going on top of the battery housing when I think of a good way to do that, and the headlight will go there too. I had to beef up the kickstand mount, the weight was too much for the factory mount tab.

v0-XL.jpg

You may be able to make out the fairing mounts, dangling upside down on the top tube in front of the battery. That's where it goes, and I can tie the rear standard to the battery for considerable improvement in stability. I rode around for a couple miles with it yesterday, and was not too thrilled about it, but will keep working on it. There's some broken stuff that could be mended a little better, and maybe then it will rattle less.

Donn, Thanks so much for posting a pic of your rig! We have similar goals. Here is my rig which I am very happy with. Working towards a fairing mount and fairing now.smaller recumbent pic.jpg

I did some bike touring in the past, not much but enough to know that If I did any long distance again or even over 50 miles these days, I would find a way to haul a trailer .
They are easy to put on the car by taking off the wheels , on many trailers are quick release wheels/axles .
and in regards to a train, you will just have to have one of the train employees help you with the trailer while you put the bike on it.

What Airlines do not allow a e-bike even though it has no batteries on it ?

filtvet said:

Back