New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

casainho said:
bart1006 said:
I just made my cable a lot shorter like (10cm) and now it works like a charm!
So maybe this is also something to add to the wiki casainho.
Good! I will, let's see if I do not forget.

Now, please configure correctly all the options on LCD3. Which motor voltage are you using? Did you flash the correct hex file?

Right now watching the video of jbalat to be sure I don't forget anything ;) and printing the page to configure by lcd.
I am running 36v and was planning to falsh with "TSDZ2_36V_motor-flexible_opensource_firmware-v0.3.hex"

I've decided to go all-in and install the opensource firmware and LCD3, wow! I've just finished my test ride using this firmware. Changed the configuration a bit to prevent an accidental run away because I'm not using ebrakes. Left all other settings default. Compiled the firmware. After the programming the generated hex file I did a basic configuration using the LCD. Maximum power set to around 600W (12A @ 48V). All my previous issues are gone now! Okay, walk assist isn't supported yet but I personally don't need that :D

Casainho you did a wonderful job! This is GOLD. The power, the smoothness... It's amazing! I still have a smile on my face. The bike feels very responsive and is very fast and agile whenever you need it to. It was also very smooth and powerful on a small hill.

I did some tests at the traffic lights to try to get the bike to run away from me by pressing hard on the pedals and such, I did not succeed. To me it feels very safe now. BUT, I've changed the MOTOR_ASSISTANCE_CAN_START_WITHOUT_PEDAL_ROTATION setting in the firmware. This makes all the difference.

The only thing I still hope for is a little bit more cadence. Now the motor seems to cut off at around 100 RPM, I would prefer it to be a bit higher. Maybe my configuration isn't optimal yet. What are the correct settings for 36v motor and 48v battery?

Other things I've noticed using this firmware:
- The motor runs very smooth. Even at start from zero there is no more rough feeling I used to have with the original firmware.
- I have the feeling that it runs quieter now but I'm not sure. But it's definitely quiet, even at high speed.
- At higher assist levels it's super responsive, at lower levels it's more relaxed. I like both options. And the ability to quickly switch between these characteristics during the ride is superb.

Some questions:
- I'm not able the get the battery state (percentage) on the LCD. Maybe I'm configuring it incorrectly?
- What kind of amp limit or power are you guys using? I've noticed that after running 600W consistenly for a while (headwind) the motor is a bit warm (not hot).
- How much voltage drop under load is expected? I can imagine that the battery voltage drops when high power is requested. In my case this causes the battery indicator on the LCD to change a bit during the ride, e.g. voltage drops from 51v to 49v when requesting 600W.

Thank you for the review of the firmware mod. It is nice to see the bike is not launching with pressure on the pedals. Perhaps eventually we may try it too after it is tested a bit. I am just now seeing how the original firmware works with the 15s battery.

Hi all, my controller is demaged and I am trying to remove it. Opened the engine and it does not come out. Is it screwed to the right side, behind the chain ring or it is being held by cables ?

Does anyone have manual on how to remove this?

Attaching pic of the failure. Anyone experienced the same? This happened to me right before 300km..

Gpiotr said:
Hi all, my controller is demaged and I am trying to remove it. Opened the engine and it does not come out. Is it screwed to the right side, behind the chain ring or it is being held by cables ?

Does anyone have manual on how to remove this?

Attaching pic of the failure. Anyone experienced the same? This happened to me right before 300km..

Hi,

Yes it has 2 anchor screws on the other side behind the chain ring. After you remove the chain ring, remove the plastic cover that had 2 Allen screws securing it, the the 2 Phillips screws are the ones holding it in.

EndlessCadence said:
bart1006 said:
Right now watching the video of jbalat to be sure I don't forget anything ;)
No worries, his video's are excellent :D Thanks again jbalat!

EndlessCadence you are welcome. I told you guys how good the firmware is but sadly everyone forms their own opinion and decides its not worth the hassle.
Oh well glad to have you onboard !!

I have increased cadence to the max possible which is between 120 and 130

Code:
In motor.c for 36v (or use 142 for 48v)
ui32_l_x1048576 = 130;

in main.h
#define MOTOR_OVER_SPEED_ERPS 700 // motor max speed, protection max value | 30 points for the sinewave at max speed

config.h
#define MOTOR_ASSISTANCE_CAN_START_WITHOUT_PEDAL_ROTATION 1
and
#define PAS_MAX_CADENCE_RPM 130

ENJOY !!

Oh there are a lot of reasons for the formed opinions, but lets stick with just one. This forum thread is for this motor. A thread was created specifically for the modified firmware, yet no one is using it. Many people have complained and then quit this forum thread and maybe even the entire forum. Look at how many of the past regulars are gone and then when someone speaks up about it they get sarcasm and questions like "DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY ACTUALLY LEFT?" in response. That was RUDE.

There is a reason why the hacked firmware people refuse to post in the actual modified firmware thread, and that reason is there was not a big enough audience so they returned to advertise it here. The problem is these advertisements take up like 80% of the posts now and has completely commandeered this thread , and many people became fed up and left. They are even bombarding OTHER THREADS for OTHER MOTORS and trash talking their motor with one hand and advertising their modified firmware with their other hand, and then being asked to leave there too.

It is not just that it is a hassle (which is true too), but who wants to give in to something akin to telemarketers that continue to call even when they are told to stop? Perhaps I am wrong in my assumptions on the intent and motives going on here though. Is there another reason why all this is not being posted in its own thread that already exists?

I have given this some thought and I don't even care if the hacked firmware will sprout wings and let me fly over the traffic, I cannot use it based on principle because I do not like the tactics being employed here.

...I wonder when Cecil and I leave this thread if we will be added to the OFFICIAL COUNT or it will be brushed off as a coincidence.

bart1006 said:
I just wired my kt-lcd3 cable up to the 8 pin cable of the motor see pictures below. (thanks casainho for the wire diagram on the wiki)
And I decided to use some pictures on shared, to illustrate the soldering wires process: https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki/Wire-KT-LCD3-to-TSDZ2
bart1006 said:

bart1006 said:
I just made my cable a lot shorter like (10cm) and now it works like a charm!
So maybe this is also something to add to the wiki casainho.
I wrote this to wiki page:
NOTE: the wires should be short like 10 centimeters or you will probably get errors while trying to flash. If you need a long cable, try to use an USB extension instead.

EndlessCadence said:
Casainho you did a wonderful job! This is GOLD. The power, the smoothness... It's amazing! I still have a smile on my face. The bike feels very responsive and is very fast and agile whenever you need it to. It was also very smooth and powerful on a small hill.

Other things I've noticed using this firmware:
- The motor runs very smooth. Even at start from zero there is no more rough feeling I used to have with the original firmware.
- I have the feeling that it runs quieter now but I'm not sure. But it's definitely quiet, even at high speed.
- At higher assist levels it's super responsive, at lower levels it's more relaxed. I like both options. And the ability to quickly switch between these characteristics during the ride is superb.
I can't imagine having a better feedback!! Thanks and keep that smile :)

EndlessCadence said:
I did some tests at the traffic lights to try to get the bike to run away from me by pressing hard on the pedals and such, I did not succeed. To me it feels very safe now. BUT, I've changed the MOTOR_ASSISTANCE_CAN_START_WITHOUT_PEDAL_ROTATION setting in the firmware. This makes all the difference.
I want to make that option as default and I plan to move that configuration on LCD.

EndlessCadence said:
The only thing I still hope for is a little bit more cadence. Now the motor seems to cut off at around 100 RPM, I would prefer it to be a bit higher. Maybe my configuration isn't optimal yet. What are the correct settings for 36v motor and 48v battery?
I am cautions about this as I think motor get very inefficient over the 525 ERPS speed limit. We can find information on google about this limitations... I want to research more. Please be cautions when increasing the ERPS speed limit as Jabalat is being doing.

EndlessCadence said:
Some questions:
1. I'm not able the get the battery state (percentage) on the LCD. Maybe I'm configuring it incorrectly?
2. What kind of amp limit or power are you guys using? I've noticed that after running 600W consistenly for a while (headwind) the motor is a bit warm (not hot).
3. How much voltage drop under load is expected? I can imagine that the battery voltage drops when high power is requested. In my case this causes the battery indicator on the LCD to change a bit during the ride, e.g. voltage drops from 51v to 49v when requesting 600W.
1. Follow this wiki page to see how to enable it and configure -- it is disabled by default: https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki/TSDZ2-and-KT-LCD3-advanced-features-with-Flexible-OpenSource-firmwares

2. I think a limit of 12 amps may be good other way I get my motor to much hot. When we get some more experience about this, I can put a recommendation on the wiki. See that when you configure a max power value, the firmware will automatically increase or decrease the current when you battery voltage change, like when it get's discharged. It is the current that heats the motor, so the limit you should configure is the current and not the power.

3. Your values seems similar to my values.

Gpiotr said:
What battery voltage are you using?? Do you remember something unusual to happen??

I think that is a capacitor that got overvolt:

[youtube]4yZxNKyd_lM[/youtube]

I just had my first test ride with the opensource firmware. Jiiihhaaa!! :D :D :D
Way and way better than I expected. I wouldn't change a bit to improve driving experience. How it picks up the power support is really super. I also have a bosch motor and this comes pretty close. The info which the opensource is showing on lcd makes the total package way better for me.

Only thing I would change is the assistance without pedalling but will look into that later.

Excellent job casainho!!

casainho said:
... Please be cautions when increasing the ERPS speed limit as Jabalat is being doing.
Thanks for answering my questions! I will take your warning seriously. Motor reliability, safety and efficiency is the most important for me. Next comes raw power, performance and increased cadence. But I'm prepared to experiment a little :D

There is a reason why the hacked firmware people refuse to post in the actual modified firmware thread, and that reason is there was not a big enough audience so they returned to advertise it here. The problem is these advertisements take up like 80% of the posts now and has completely commandeered this thread ,..... who wants to give in to something akin to telemarketers that continue to call even when they are told to stop?

Wow,.. No one has tried to advertise and sell us anything,.... where do you get that from??? I hope someone eventually offers an update service for a fee but up till now its just volunteers making the product better for all of us. Your comments are really disrespectful.

I see ten times more comments of encouragement and appreciation for the time they spend to help us for free. It looks to me like their participation in this particular forum is entirely due to the constant request of others for more info. , Nothing is being pushed on us, these forums naturally grow into the area where the most interest is.

I think you are being a little self centered. Maybe you should start a new thread for using power tool batteries. You go on and on about that but no one else seems to care. You even get free advice from the same people you criticize for trying to sell you something.

hobbyvac said:
There is a reason why the hacked firmware people refuse to post in the actual modified firmware thread, and that reason is there was not a big enough audience so they returned to advertise it here. The problem is these advertisements take up like 80% of the posts now and has completely commandeered this thread ,..... who wants to give in to something akin to telemarketers that continue to call even when they are told to stop?

Wow,.. No one has tried to advertise and sell us anything,.... where do you get that from??? I hope someone eventually offers an update service for a fee but up till now its just volunteers making the product better for all of us. Your comments are really disrespectful.

I see ten times more comments of encouragement and appreciation for the time they spend to help us for free. It looks to me like their participation in this particular forum is entirely due to the constant request of others for more info. , Nothing is being pushed on us, these forums naturally grow into the area where the most interest is.

I think you are being a little self centered. Maybe you should start a new thread for using power tool batteries. You go on and on about that but no one else seems to care. You even get free advice from the same people you criticize for trying to sell you something.

I fully agree.

John and Cecil said:
Oh there are a lot of reasons for the formed opinions, but lets stick with just one. This forum thread is for this motor. A thread was created specifically for the modified firmware, yet no one is using it. Many people have complained and then quit this forum thread and maybe even the entire forum. Look at how many of the past regulars are gone and then when someone speaks up about it they get sarcasm and questions like "DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY ACTUALLY LEFT?" in response. That was RUDE.

There is a reason why the hacked firmware people refuse to post in the actual modified firmware thread, and that reason is there was not a big enough audience so they returned to advertise it here. The problem is these advertisements take up like 80% of the posts now and has completely commandeered this thread , and many people became fed up and left. They are even bombarding OTHER THREADS for OTHER MOTORS and trash talking their motor with one hand and advertising their modified firmware with their other hand, and then being asked to leave there too.

It is not just that it is a hassle (which is true too), but who wants to give in to something akin to telemarketers that continue to call even when they are told to stop? Perhaps I am wrong in my assumptions on the intent and motives going on here though. Is there another reason why all this is not being posted in its own thread that already exists?

I have given this some thought and I don't even care if the hacked firmware will sprout wings and let me fly over the traffic, I cannot use it based on principle because I do not like the tactics being employed here.

...I wonder when Cecil and I leave this thread if we will be added to the OFFICIAL COUNT or it will be brushed off as a coincidence.

John I must rebuke you on several fronts, yours is just one opinion and I would suspect totally based on unsubstantiated ramblings that you have garnered from your opinion reading of this forum. There's probably 120 pages on this thread which solves most of the fitting and mechanical issues that have arisen with this motor ( yes a newbie will have to read those 100 pages or do a more defined search ), yes the last 10 or so are on the software development, but that is almost exactly the format of the Bafang BBS series thread where it too went through the process of solving its mechanical issues ( too low a power Mosfets ) and then onto hacking and improving the software.

John, where can you confirm to 100% accuracy that what you are saying about the gear mesh is indeed incorrect. The only place I have seen it mentioned is on a web forum from an un-known writer whose skill on these matters has never been tested by their peer group.

You seem to have a real reticence to reprogram the TDSZ2 but I have to remind you that in its standard form my BBS02 was terrible from the factory and on single track was positively dangerous in the way it presented its power and in the delay it continued to power on once you stopped pedaling. Once I had reprogrammed it and spent some time finessing those settings, it was good but not in the same ball park as a good torque based motor.

Sorry but it would seem to get the best out of this motor you will need to learn some new computer skills and some new wiring skills, the info is there now both on paper and film, it should'nt be so difficult. Perhaps even enlist a friend who is computer savvy to help.

Would have to agree with the others on this. All technical and mechanical issues have been covered many times in this thread and one of the ways we can make the motor better now is via the firmware. We should be grateful that someone like casainho is offering all his time for free. I feel as though the least I can do is try to help with the testing. Unfortunately some of the discussion may get over some peoples heads, some might try to learn and keep up and others may just skip it for a while.

From the couple of people that have actually tried it including myself feedback was overwhelmingly positive.
With more people using it and reporting any bugs or further improvements then it will only get better.

Who knows what the next flavour is going to be in this forum for the next 20 pages. Its a journey for all of us who are interested in this motor and just want to see it improve. :D

My thoughts are along the same lines. I monitor this forum for information that is practically non-existent coming from the manufacturer. Together we have helped each other figure out how to diagnose and fix many problems. Jbalat not only figures this stuff out but then shows us all how to do it with a video. How cool is that! Eyebyesickle is also pioneering a lot of stuff and offering motors and USA support at amazing prices as well as sharing the knowledge he has gleaned from his Chinese connections. Then comes Casainho with the engineering skills and willingness to tackle the biggest and hardest problem holding back the TSDZ2. This really is an amazing community.

The TSDZ2 is a great piece of hardware bringing torque sensing to the DIY conversion crowd. The problem is that TongSheng has been completely unwilling to let users configure it the way Bafang has done with their motors. I have spoken to TongSheng sales engineers and they just shake their head and say TongSheng management will never let that happen. For me, the most frustrating thing about the TSDZ2 is the way it is locked up with no flexibility to configure it for different bikes, different riders, different riding styles, and different batteries. Not to mention trying to adapt it to the needs of riders with disabilities.

Then along comes Casainho with a willingness to devote his free time to helping people have a higher quality of life and hopefully save the planet in the process. A lot of us share these same goals and would like to see the TSDZ2 be more useful and accessible to more people but we don't have Casainho's skillset and time commitment to fix the biggest problem we have - the inflexibility of the TSDZ2 firmware. We are very lucky he showed up. If he hadn't come with his idea for an open source firmware project we wouldn't be discussing all of the possibilities new firmware brings to this motor but instead would still be lamenting its limitations.

This is the main forum for the TSDZ2 motor and is the place to push the envelope, to solve problems - especially big ones like new firmware that promises to take this little motor to a whole new level.

Let the whiners whine. When the hard work is done they can jump on board and enjoy the fruit as well.

And there is another new user, I think it is the 4th (not counting with me, my girlfriend and my son):

Dirkro said:
Hi, I have installed this firmware hex files (v03 for 36 V ) on my bike with an 36 V motor and batterie. The power is amazing.

I release V0.4 and added this configurations to LCD3:

3: various
-- 0: motor voltage type: default value: 0. 0 for 48V brushless motor (TSDZ2 52V version has a 48V brushless motor); 1 for 36V brushless motor. This configuration is needed for FOC calculations.
-- 1: motor assistance startup without pedal rotation: default value: 0 (disabled). 1 to enable this feature. Recommended to keep at 0 value if you don't have brake sensors installed.
-- 2: PAS max cadence: default value: 110. This value is used for calculation of human pedal power that will after be used for motor assist level.

Full configurations: https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki/TSDZ2-and-KT-LCD3-advanced-features-with-Flexible-OpenSource-firmwares

Is it possible to configure this firmware, so it uses only PAS and no torque sensor? I am asking because my torque sensor stopped working and I do not have a throttle. The motor engages, but it gives me only a little boost on each assist level and it does not increase when I put more pressure on pedals. I am trying to find a way to workaround this problem without replacing torque sensor. It would be sufficient for me if it worked at full power defined for each assist level as other regular motors.

EndlessScream said:
Is it possible to configure this firmware, so it uses only PAS and no torque sensor? I am asking because my torque sensor stopped working and I do not have a throttle. The motor engages, but it gives me only a little boost on each assist level and it does not increase when I put more pressure on pedals. I am trying to find a way to workaround this problem without replacing torque sensor. It would be sufficient for me if it worked at full power defined for each assist level as other regular motors.

of course it is but you really should get it fixed. Try PSW power
http://www.pswpower.com/ven.php?cargo.2016-7n-n002

can you pull it apart and see whats broken ? it would be a shame to replace the whole thing

there was some discussion a couple of pages back to check what values are coming from your torque sensor with a hidden menu. Please see if you can find it and test it out then report back max and min

Are you referring to the hidden menu in the stock VLCD5? It does not seem to show torque sensor readings (only the basic configuration options: wheel diameter, number of magnets, metrics, walk assist, speed limit, amps and region). I have found two posts where someone was suggesting to check this, but with no details how to do this:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=79788&p=1402713&hilit=hidden#p1402713
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=79788&p=1402041&hilit=hidden#p1402041
I will try to search some more.

I could try to disassembly this and remove torque sensor for inspection, but I doubt it is a mechanical damage. It stopped working at the moment when I switched batteries (the first one almost ran out of power during a ride, so I have connected a second one). It might have been a coincidence as well, so maybe it is worth checking.

About replacing torque sensor - it is the most obvious solution, but I am affraid the sensor may be broken again, as it seems to be a common failure, so I started looking for a workaround. I do not really need torque sensing that much.

Thank you for your suggestions!

Try this
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=79788&hilit=hidden&start=3225#p1405380

Back