Qulbix Q76R Frame Kits & Complete Bikes PRE-ORDER

Offroader said:
This bad boy right here is the ultimate 72 volt DC/DC converter. I bought this off ebay but never hooked it up since my current cheap china converter still functions and never got around to installing this one.

This thing requires an external heatsink, or you really should mount one.

This is a Vicor and one of the few companies I found that makes a decent 72 volt to 12 volt DC/DC converter.

This thing will work from 55-100 volts. It will output about 17 amps at 12 volts. It has thermal shutdown and lots of good stuff.

I got this to be able to run multiple LED high powered lights, my cooling fan at high wattage, my heated grips during winter, both my front and rear dash cams, without overheating and breaking. I bought it for around $50 bucks on ebay. Will require a heat sink which they sell many types for this size.

Wow exactly what I have been looking for. I've seen a few others but they have always been much more expensive, like way over 200$. This thing is just perfect. Thx for sharing.

Yes these Vicor power supplies I believe are the best bet for our ebike voltages, and maybe the only option for our voltages.

A couple of things, The model I bought on ebay is on the large size (still tiny for a power supply) and a bit older. Its not that large but VICOR does have a micro and mini line which are much smaller. It is still not that large when you compare it to the china DC/DC converters which have a transformer in them. The dimensions are below and are without a heatsink.

To be honest I was actually going to buy the micro / mini line but found the VI-241-EU 72volt on ebay so just bought that, since I have plenty of room under my motorcycle seat to mount it, it was not really an issue.

The advantages of the micro and mini line are that they are much smaller than the one I bought, you can also adjust the output voltage from 10% to 110%, so you could adjust voltage output from 1.2 volts to 13.2 volts. The biggest drawback is the no load current, which draws a decent amount of wattage if left on, 4.3 watts an hour for the 150 watt micro.

For all these power supplies you will need to mount and purchase a heatsink, which are called quarter brick, halfbrick heatsinks. Or you may be able to just use your bike frame as a heatsink?

The 72v micro is: This is the best option for most people.
http://cdn.vicorpower.com/documents/datasheets/ds_72vin-micro-family.pdf

DC input 43 - 110 volt input
12.5 amps output (150 watts)
4.3 watts standby / no load *this will waste power when not being used and is on the high side
weight (60 grams)
size : 58mm x 37mm x 13mm (Quarter Brick) *This thing is ridiculously small

The 72 volt mini is: This has a lot of amps, and would only be good option if you are running a fan in the hub motor
http://cdn.vicorpower.com/documents/datasheets/ds_72vin-mini-family.pdf

DC input 43-110v
21 amps output (250 watts)
8.5 watts standby / no load *This is a lot of wasted watts when not being used, will drain battery if left on overnight
size: 58x56x13mm (half brick)
weight: 100 grams

The 72 volt VI-241-EU *This is a good option as you may find it on ebay and has low standby / no load current, but is big!

http://cdn.vicorpower.com/documents/datasheets/ds_vi-200.pdf

DC input 55-100 volts
16.7 amps output (200 watts)
Adjustable only from: 10.8 volts to 13.2 volts
1.35 watts standby / no load *This is on the low side and won't drain your battery quickly if you forget to shut it off
weight 178 grams
size 116mm x 61mm x 13mm (FULL BRICK)

For this phpbb board existing millions of really nice add ons...
Still don't get it why "admins" doing nothing about...

Were in 2018 not 1984 were everything has no interest in user "experience"...

Rating user posts or let's say likes is the minimum.

Whatever :p

I wonder what kind of electrics are you using?
With all that led stuff 20w is all ready enough?

I have bi-xenon and still doesn't need more then 35w at all.

Merlin said:
For this phpbb board existing millions of really nice add ons...
Still don't get it why "admins" doing nothing about...

Were in 2018 not 1984 were everything has no interest in user "experience"...

Rating user posts or let's say likes is the minimum.

Whatever :p

I wonder what kind of electrics are you using?
With all that led stuff 20w is all ready enough?

I have bi-xenon and still doesn't need more then 35w at all.

Most don't need such a high powered DC/DC converter.

The reason I needed one is because I will use the following:

Heated grips: 2-3 amps *only used for winter
Lights: BT40S & Yinding 900 = 3-4 amps * Wouldn't mind running even more powerful lights, but these 2 together are really good. Running these lights on high setting really uses a lot of amps.

Front and rear Dash cam / action cams = 2 amps
Hub motored EDF fan cooling: 5-8 amps * Can go much higher than this for short bursts of cooing but this is average.
12 volt Heated clothing?

In total I could draw as much as 17 amps, so I would need a power DC / DC converter.

If you are only using it for lights, then you wouldn't need 17 amps, so you will have to decide on what you will use.

Hey !

so after a few years I made some tweaks on my 48v magic pie build. I added a real moto tire.. not sure if I mentionned it but I switched from a 26in rear wheel to a 20inch one in order to get less speed but more humpf. I've been rocking BMX tires but I had to put really high pressure in them in order to hold the weight because a had a LOT of pinch flat. So now : moto tire (for those wondering the sizing, a 20 inch bicycle wheel needs to have a 16inch moto tire).

Also I believe the magic pie can accept a voltage up to 60v if i remember correctly, I ordered a 52v batt in replacement to my 48v one.

I read the talk about DC converter, I've been using a simple buck converter mainly for powering the electroluminesent bolt on the side of the bike and the USB plug that a never actualy used :

I'd love to get a moto seat but I have to keep the bicycle look...

Merlin said:
i dont even know about one ebike frame out there that has a painted frame.

vector, EEB and all the clones, qulbix, stealth...they are all powder coated

I thought my Vector was painted (as it did chip off at some areas near the dropouts) but i cannot say for sure.
How can you find this out?

L3chef said:
Makes more sense since it's aluminium frame

The sidecovers are aluminum, but the frame is made of steel. Both high strength materials and no cheap stuff..

L3chef said:
Powder coated should have more texture than paint. Other than visually test I don't know about..
I thought it was paint because some was already peeling off when I received the frame some years ago... also the white color is kinda glossy. anyway speaking of paint, I painted the side plate of my raptor last weekend (primer + paint + laquer). nothing spectacular but I prefer this rather than the stickers

[youtube]oLYUxEiGRO4[/youtube]

TheBMallory said:
L3chef said:
Powder coated should have more texture than paint. Other than visually test I don't know about..
I thought it was paint because some was already peeling off when I received the frame some years ago... also the white color is kinda glossy. anyway speaking of paint, I painted the side plate of my raptor last weekend (primer + paint + laquer). nothing spectacular but I prefer this rather than the stickers

[youtube]oLYUxEiGRO4[/youtube]

Good job on the paint job! Can' wait to join the qulbix gang. Q76r will be my first ebike build :)

I never had any issues with the paint on both of my qulbix frames, Q76R and Q165

Look forward to seeing your build. You will be really happy, and will really like the thin frame.

TheBMallory said:
Hey !

so after a few years I made some tweaks on my 48v magic pie build. I added a real moto tire.. not sure if I mentionned it but I switched from a 26in rear wheel to a 20inch one in order to get less speed but more humpf. I've been rocking BMX tires but I had to put really high pressure in them in order to hold the weight because a had a LOT of pinch flat. So now : moto tire (for those wondering the sizing, a 20 inch bicycle wheel needs to have a 16inch moto tire).

Also I believe the magic pie can accept a voltage up to 60v if i remember correctly, I ordered a 52v batt in replacement to my 48v one.

I read the talk about DC converter, I've been using a simple buck converter mainly for powering the electroluminesent bolt on the side of the bike and the USB plug that a never actualy used :

I'd love to get a moto seat but I have to keep the bicycle look...

Good morning,

I've burned twice my magic pie 4 internal controller by having a 14s battery pack. The first time it was under warranty and the second time I gave up and installed an adaptto mini-e controller. It works fine for the last two years now with much more power but I had to do some modifications to the motor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPWesnkex3k
This is how it looks after the conversion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCy3Alh8PVI
This is a speed test.

icherouveim said:
Good morning,

I've burned twice my magic pie 4 internal controller by having a 14s battery pack. The first time it was under warranty and the second time I gave up and installed an adaptto mini-e controller. It works fine for the last two years now with much more power but I had to do some modifications to the motor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPWesnkex3k
This is how it looks after the conversion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCy3Alh8PVI
This is a speed test.

Hi, didn't know you could replace the controller without replacing the whole thing. It's true that I suspect my controller to overheating during long offroad sessions : sometimes I feel a loss in torque

finally I had time to go through the whole thread.
Much kudos to all your great builds!! Amazing!

Could anyone recommend me front forks for the 76 frame? I've about 400€ to spend on them, and been looking at dnm-8 and rockshox. I would be riding ~ 65% trails /offroad and 35ish on roads..build would be about 45-50kg and I'm 75kg.. Any recommendation?

before you spend your 400 on a new dnm.....please do yourself a favor and buy a rock shox/Fox used.
its like buying a new car for 8500 ....a 40kw chinese plastic car compared to a used mercedes/Audi/BMW etc...

you feel the difference even without riding.

Merlin said:
you feel the difference even without riding.

:lol:
I'll keep my eyes open for used quality forks. What axle diameter does qulbix use with their weels? Couldn't find that info anywere..
Edit: think I found it. 20mm right?

Back