Cycle Analyst V3 preview and first beta release

Daxxie said:
Any idea if the Bafang's Torque sensor could work with the phaserunner?

I don't know. There may be other posts on the specific nature of the signal. There have been threads on Bafang/CA3 connections, but I can't remember that particular detail. If it's a torque-proportional voltage somewhere in the 0-5V range, then it's usable by the CA3.

In a research vein, check the excursion with a meter or scope and if it's in range, hook it up to the CA TRQ input and examine the voltage and torque displays on the Console Setup preview screen as you exercise the crank. A harmless bench test that will tell you PDQ.

teklektik said:
Installing a Phaserunner gave the prescribed quiet operation, but took away all the radical acceleration. Very nice and controllable but boringly docile even at high phase current. So - I like the control but do miss the acceleration...

Oooh. Thanks for explaining that. I've been using a couple of 10 year old CA2's until very recently when I got my first CA3 along with the Phaserunner. I had incorrectly assumed that the docile acceleration, especially from 0 to 5 mph, was due to default CA3 ramp-up values. I didn't try to change it since the acceleration was adequate for my needs and figured it meant less stress on mechanical components.

Can't wait to see what all y'all come up with for the CA4!

So I got the "Unable to communicate with the Cycle Analyst in a timely manner." problem, and was happy to read that CA3-12 could fix this.

But when I try to update I get this:
Skærmbillede%202018-08-27%20kl.%2016.21.08.png

I know that the cable works because I've been able to update the firmware when I first got the CA. The cable is from http://www.ebikes.ca .

Any ideas?

Regards//

This is the linux version, correct?
Please email Grin directly and include platform type/version information.

Use subject line that indicates "Serious CA Setup Utility Problem: <platform type>".

There is a backlog of emails but I wrote a trouble ticket for this with a note to look for that subject line as a priority.

I dunno how, but got it working!
Updated to 3.12 ... wow such settings much different!

My old settings were erased so had to start from scratch :(
I'm stuck at the AUX settings, I can see that it's a bit different and I'm now stuck.

This is what I had going before the FW update:
I've got a magnetic switch hidden on my handlebar and a magnet hidden in my glove.
When the bike is turned on it starts at preset #1, when I move the magnet in front of the switch (and hold it there) it switches to preset #2, when I take my hand away, and thus the magnet, preset #1 is selected again.

With the new FW all I get is, #1 on start up, magnet in front #1 is selected, magnet removed again #2 is selected.

It seems as if it's reversed. What am I missing?

You haven't indicated the version of the old firmware, your setup, or how this is wired. I'm just guessing about changes in operation from previous and I'm also guessing the reed switch is normally open, that it is tied from AuxIn to Gnd, that you have configured Digital Aux Control Type to be None and have set up Analog Aux as a two position switch controlling presets. Lot of guessing going on there.

Based on those guesses then what you describe cannot happen:

Kimovitzh said:
With the new FW all I get is, #1 on start up, magnet in front #1 is selected, magnet removed again #2 is selected.

It should start in #2 on power-up with the switch open. So something is wrong with my assumptions and it's not useful guess any further. Please afford some detail here...

I've got a CA3 Rev.3 It had FW 3.0 AFAIK. reed switch is NO and is wired up to POT and GND.
I chosen Analog AUX settings as 2-Pos SW controlling presets.

Just tested and yes it starts on #2, I just assumed it to start on #1 because that what I set it to.

Is there a way to change this? So a NO contact would = #1 and when the state changes to NC to #2?
As I said. it seems to work on previously FW.

If you need any more details, please ask.

Kimovitzh said:
Just tested and yes it starts on #2, I just assumed it to start on #1 because that what I set it to.

AuxA is a stateful hardware control and so it overrides Prst->PowerOn which is a software setting.

Version 3.1 FW changed the interpretation of Preset numbering so that it corresponds to relative voltage levels.
An open switch is at 5V (high) and is preset #2.
A closed Switch is at Gnd (low) and is at preset #1.

Kimovitzh said:
Is there a way to change this? So a NO contact would = #1 and when the state changes to NC to #2?
No - not wired as is. You would need to add a 4.7K - 10K resistor from AuxIn to Gnd, then tie the NO switch from AuxIn to +5V.

Much easier to just switch your #1 and #2 preset configurations....

When I learned that I starts at #2 regardless I figured that it indeed is easier to switch the presets.

Thanks for the insightful help!

Ok - apologies for the confusion.
Also - the Help file explained the hardware override for the Console Button Hot Swap feature but did not mention the preset parameter override. I just updated the Help/ToolTips so that will be cleared up in the future.

Thanks for bringing that up.... :)

teklektik said:
Ok - apologies for the confusion.
Also - the Help file explained the hardware override for the Console Button Hot Swap feature but did not mention the preset parameter override. I just updated the Help/ToolTips so that will be cleared up in the future.

Thanks for bringing that up.... :)

No need for apologies :)
Glad that I could contribute with my ignorance in some way :D

teklektik said:
Those arrows flipping directly reflect the input cadence signal. No flipping should mean no RPM display.

MG310 + Grin 20 amp controller + 36 volt Ligo (single brick)+ simple right side mounted cadence sensor

Ok So I have a PAS system up and running with the CA. I'm using a simple cadence sensor (6 magnets) which is wired into a Strain Amp (4) board and yes I can see my "P" flipping up and down now in my CA. Response on the stand is very good, one crank and it activates the motor. But I'm not getting very much power assist when riding. While riding diagnostic display screen 11 shows a total ThOut at 2.05 volts and the capitalization flags(A,W) are on pretty soon as the power comes on. But on the stand ThOut is 3.65 when turning the crank by hand and there seems to be plenty of power and no flags. Both Amps and Watts get flagged while riding so am I hitting my power limit? I did attach my .hex file if that helps anyone check my settings or I can make screen shot too. I don't think I hit 70rpm on my peddling either so is that a factor with this preliminary set up?

Attachments

• Read Setup 2.hex.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 67
Yea! Someone who posted a Setup File!

Tom on 101 said:
MG310 + Grin 20 amp controller + 36 volt Ligo (single brick)+ simple right side mounted cadence sensor
Two important numbers:
Max watts = (10s * 4.2V = 42V) * 20A = 840W
Max amps = 20A

Tom on 101 said:
Ok So I have a PAS system up and running with the CA. I'm using a simple cadence sensor (6 magnets) which is wired into a Strain Amp (4) board and yes I can see my "P" flipping up and down now in my CA.
6 poles is very very low - try to get more poles - this dramatically effects Start/Stop times.
I don't know what a Strain Amp board is. Is this a DIY torque sensor? I see you are running Basic mode so - no torque sensor there...

Tom on 101 said:
Response on the stand is very good, one crank and it activates the motor. But I'm not getting very much power assist when riding. While riding diagnostic display screen 11 shows a total ThOut at 2.05 volts and the capitalization flags(A,W) are on pretty soon as the power comes on.
...on the stand ThOut is 3.65 when turning the crank by hand and there seems to be plenty of power and no flags

PAS should start within a 1/2 turn. You may want to adjust your Start/Stop times. See the ToolTips.

The 'W' is normal because Basic(Pwr) PAS uses the power PID controller. The 'A' should not be active - this is the answer to your low power - the CA is current limiting to only 15A instead of the 20A the controller can do. The motor is *not* showing 'plenty of power' on the stand - it's using *no* power and just spinning the unloaded wheel. On the ground, the motor wants to draw lots of Amps to do real work and the current draw goes way up. The CA says NO! and limits the Throttle OUT voltage to the lower level you reported.

I would reset the current limit to 20A to wake up the controller. The 900W power limit is okay.

Tom on 101 said:
I don't think I hit 70rpm on my peddling either so is that a factor with this preliminary set up?
No Matter. The CA assumes 50rpm as a minimum cadence and you have a zero Assist Scale Factor so PAS does not scale with rpm. So - as soon as PAS kicks in you will get all the power you are going to get - regardless of cadence.

BTW - you have your speedometer pole count set to 6. See the Help FIle or ToolTip. This should be the number of spke magnets or the number of motor poles.

Thank you for taking a look, that all make sense to me. The amp limit is really the issue. I'll be switching to the Phaserunner today and that will allow me to go above the 20 amps of the controller I'm using for the test.

I'm concerned that the LiGo battery wont be able to handle the amp draw even at 20 amps as the max discharge is 10 amps per brick. That seems pretty low power as some of the other ebikes here are able to draw as much as 30 amps.

BTW the StarinAmp board is a Grin Product
"Strain Gauge Amplifier Board and PAS Connection from RSD Stokemonkey System. Available for DIY Strain Sensor Projects"
I will integrate the torque sensing once I get a handle on the power settings.

Tom on 101 said:
I'm concerned that the LiGo battery wont be able to handle the amp draw even at 20 amps as the max discharge is 10 amps per brick.
Those are a specialty product really designed to allow air travel which accounts for their more conservative power. Still, you can parallel them to bump the output. They spec 10A contrinuous and 15A max so your adjustment is correct, although not very spunky.

Tom on 101 said:
BTW the StarinAmp board is a Grin Product
"Strain Gauge Amplifier Board and PAS Connection from RSD Stokemonkey System. Available for DIY Strain Sensor Projects"
Ha! That's funny, I know these have appeared in special Grin projects and went out to some customers but I missed that they were a standard product. Thanks!

i want the "little throttle on for chain slack removeal with mid drives" feature SO badly ;)
this really is the last thing that's need to make me drive really rideable for everyone without destroying chains and cassettes ...
tek, you got maybe an update on this, or any other plans for next versions?

hey izeman!
To be honest, there are other releases in the wind now with priority features and bug repairs. That said, let me go back and review the stuff on this and see if there is a place for efforting this feature anytime soon.

Hi Justin. What would cause the CA3 and PR to exhibit the following behavior? While riding, I notice that the bike accelerates and reaches a higher top speed at about 2/3 throttle. At WOT current displayed on the display drops about 10amps.
Resistive throttle with 0-4.5v read on CA3
Throttle in set to 1v min, 4.6 out
No regen (mid drive)
Throttle out 1v - 3.5v
Phaserunner voltage range also 1v min - 3.5v out

I changed CA3 throttle out to 4.5 and adjusted PR to look for the same 4.5 as WOT and it wasn't as profound but still faster at like 3/4 throttle.

Baffled.
Thanks in advance

teklektik said:
There have been threads on Bafang/CA3 connections, but I can't remember that particular detail. If it's a torque-proportional voltage somewhere in the 0-5V range, then it's usable by the CA3.

In a research vein, check the excursion with a meter or scope and if it's in range, hook it up to the CA TRQ input and examine the voltage and torque displays on the Console Setup preview screen as you exercise the crank. A harmless bench test that will tell you PDQ.

Hi Teklektik, regarding Bafang Ultra and CA3

Did some measuring this weekend.

Pinout%20BAFANG%20BB-Torque-Sensor.PNG

Torque signal : between 0.76V-1.55V depending on pedal pressure.

Pas : Digital 0 or 5V

Speed/direction : Digital FWD 0 or 5V - Reverse 5V

I made a video:
CH1 (Upper signal) is PAS - CH2 = speed/direction

[youtube]JS6gvL5Hogo[/youtube]

I think all these signals are in range.

However if I connect The Ultra's Torque sensor to the CA3 it doesnt seem to work.
PAS to PAS
Speed/Direction to Dir
Torque To TRQ

In SETUP PAS SENSOR shouldn't the P and D arrows move up and down?

Only the D arrow moves up and down if I turn the pedal by hand.
If I disconnect the PAS signal and connect Speed/Direction to the PAS solder pad,
then the P arrow goes up and down.

Either way the motor doesn't engage on PAS signal.
Tried almost every setting in "PAS Device settings" and "PAS config Settings"

Before hand, sorry for my ignorance please ask if you need any more info.

I have now been out testing the settings and I have almost hit the same settings as before the update.
Two things hare bugging me though.

1: Iv'e got 2 presets, and on one of them I have Throttle Auto Cruise enabled (Preset #1).
When I'm the preset with Throttle Auto Cruise and it is engaged and I then shift to preset #2, the Throttle Auto Cruise stops, obviously. But when I engage preset #1 again it just presumes the Auto cruise.
Before the update it was reset so it didn't just engage when shifting back.

Does this make sense?

2: I've noticed that when I give it full throttle with all the settings at max, it goes to about 10kW and as it speeds up and hit ca. 70km/h the wattage goes down and lingers at 3-4kW and the speed just snails upwards.
Temperature in the motor didn't pass 65°C and the battery voltage "only" declined to 69V

As far as I remember, before the update it just kept going until it hit a max speed at around 105km/h.

INFO:
Controller: Sabvoton SVMC072150
Motor: QS motor 205 50H V3
Battery: LiPo 18S 16Ah 10C

Can anyone see if it is the settings in the CA that Is causing this? (BTW Throttle Auto Cruise is disabled in this file)

Attachments

• CA-27-08.hex.zip
    1,012 bytes · Views: 68
Daxxie said:
...regarding Bafang Ultra and CA3
Did some measuring this weekend.

Torque signal : between 0.76V-1.55V depending on pedal pressure.
Pas : Digital 0 or 5V
Speed/direction : Digital FWD 0 or 5V - Reverse 5V

I made a video:

View attachment 3bafangUltraPasSignals.png

Daxxie said:
if I connect The Ultra's Torque sensor to the CA3 it doesnt seem to work.
PAS to PAS
Speed/Direction to Dir
Torque To TRQ

In SETUP PAS SENSOR shouldn't the P and D arrows move up and down?

Only the D arrow moves up and down if I turn the pedal by hand.
If I disconnect the PAS signal and connect Speed/Direction to the PAS solder pad,
First - good info gathering - very helpful ;)

Second - the torque signal looks usable by the CA - so good news there.

Next - the RPM/DIR signals look a little different than what the CA likes to see.

The CA PAS can operate with either of two signal interfaces "1-wire" or "2-wire". These are names we came up with avoid saying "level Directional control" and quadrature control" which sound much more intimidating...

• In "2-wire mode" the RPM and DIR inputs get two phase-shifted signals. The frequency or RPM determines the cadence and the relative shift of DIR indicates direction. In this case both arrows bop up and down.

View attachment 1

• In "1-wire mode" the RPM signal is as illustrated above, but the level of Hi or Lo on the DIR input determines direction. In this case only the RPM arrow dances and the DIR arrow flips according to direction.

So - if we look at the Bafand signals we see you have neither of these modes but something else where Forward pedaling gives a signal on the PAS line and a double frequency on the SPD/DIR line with a fixed phase relationship and coincident or aligned edge transitions. In reverse mode the PAS signal is unchanged but the SPD/DIR signal is replaced with a HI level.

• With no quadrature signal, you will need to configure the CA for "1-wire mode".
    At this time the CA does not do much with backwards pedaling except to immediately stop PAS - a small feature. I would recommend that you just forego the CA DIR signal, either tie it to GND or leave it floating. The PAS signal looks like what we normally like to see for the RPM signal, but if we use that with a fixed DIR signal we can't actually tell if you are pedaling backwards and so will apply assist in that case as well (e.g. aligning the pedals at a stop to get away). So, here the SPD/DIR signal is absent on reverse pedaling so route that into the CA RPM instead and the Bafang will do the 'ignore backwards pedaling' part for the CA.
  • But-
    The signal you didn't show was 'PAS-PhaseShifted' which sounds like what we want for Quadrature mode. If you test and see that it looks like the Quad signal above, then:

Configure the CA for "2-wire mode" and use the Bafang PAS and PhaseShiftedPAS for the CA RPM and DIR signals.

In either case you will need to fiddle the CA PASD->DirPlrty setting to get FWD/REV pedaling sorted out. You can fake a setting for PASD->TrqScale (I would guess maybe 130Nm/V), and you will need to Zero the torque offset using PASD->ZeroTorq with no feet on pedals.

To summarize, case A will work with what your stated here, but it sounds like Case B might work and give a better solution:

Let us know how this turns out... :D

Holiday weekend - so a quick answer...

Kimovitzh said:
But when I engage preset #1 again it just presumes the Auto cruise.
Before the update it was reset so it didn't just engage when shifting back.

Does this make sense?
I need to look this up but I believe this may be a known issue. I'll get back.

Kimovitzh said:
2: I've noticed that when I give it full throttle with all the settings at max, it goes to about 10kW and as it speeds up and hit ca. 70km/h the wattage goes down and lingers at 3-4kW and the speed just snails upwards.
Take a look at the Diagnostic Screen and examine the Limit Flags while this is happening. This will reveal what the CA thinks requires limiting power.

I'll look at the setup file tomorrow - thanks for attaching.

teklektik said:
Configure the CA for "2-wire mode" and use the Bafang PAS and PhaseShiftedPAS for the CA RPM and DIR signals.[/list]

In either case you will need to fiddle the CA PASD->DirPlrty setting to get FWD/REV pedaling sorted out. You can fake a setting for PASD->TrqScale (I would guess maybe 130Nm/V), and you will need to Zero the torque offset using PASD->ZeroTorq with no feet on pedals.

To summarize, case A will work with what your stated here, but it sounds like Case B might work and give a better solution:

Let us know how this turns out... :D

Thanks Teklektik.

Here is a video of the PAS (CH1) and Phasesift (CH2) signal.

[youtube]VV8w-EvChD8[/youtube]

teklektik said:
In "2-wire mode" the RPM and DIR inputs get two phase-shifted signals. The frequency or RPM determines the cadence and the relative shift of DIR indicates direction. In this case both arrows bop up and down.

I tried connecting PAS to RPM and PAS-Phasesift to DIR on the CA but only DIR arrow goes up and down.

However if I connect the speed/direction on CA PAS and Phaseshift on DIR then both arrows move??
(I can't understand why! As we saw in the first video the Bafang PAS and Speed/Direction are almost identical.)

In both scenarios PAS doesnt work.
Or am I wrong in my assumptions?

If I turn the pedal by hand (motor is still on the bench) I expect the motor to engage because it should see a cadence, right?
Or does the motor only engage when it sees cadence and gets a signal from the torque sensor?
To test the latter I have to mount the motor on a bike.

Back