Dr. Greger explains the cause of insulin resistance, p 17 and explains how to reverse heart failure pg 17

Matt Gruber said:
markz said:
Gruber - No onion in there along with the brussel sprouts?

Dr Greger's positive report on onions is what inspired me to buy 3 bags at $1/bag, 7.5# of onions :mrgreen:
guess you missed the 1st item: potato mashed into 3.3 oz onion.

Ah yesszzzzzz my eyezzzzz are goin. I have always hated onions and I dont know why, yet "hide" them in pasta sauce and I dont mind it. And yes I will order onion rings just to eat the bater.

Switched to broccoli instead of brussels sprouts.
and an ear of corn w/8oz net corn(instead of carrot). Got 7 at Dollar General 20 cents an ear! 8)
whole onion instead of 1/2.
So the food weighed 20 ounces! i can barely eat this much :D
and 1/4 oz walnuts instead of PB. Cutting fat to a bare minimum to see how low i can get my blood tests.
EDIT
I just looked up 8 oz corn, and it is like 800 calories and 10 grams of fat! may have to eat half an ear and freeze the rest. Will see if i gain any weight, might not digest it all that well.

Matt Gruber said:
I just looked up 8 oz corn, and it is like 800 calories and 10 grams of fat!

That's gotta be dry corn or corn meal. Fresh corn doesn't contain enough solids to pack that kind of calorie content.

https://whatscooking.fns.usda.gov/sites/default/files/factsheets/HHFS_CORN_FRESH_900210Dec2012.pdf

Chalo said:
Matt Gruber said:
I just looked up 8 oz corn, and it is like 800 calories and 10 grams of fat!

That's gotta be dry corn or corn meal. Fresh corn doesn't contain enough solids to pack that kind of calorie content.

https://whatscooking.fns.usda.gov/sites/default/files/factsheets/HHFS_CORN_FRESH_900210Dec2012.pdf

Chalo,
Thanks! these are really big ears, 200 calories max, way better than 800! I don't know how the site i used to go to could be that far off. Now i don't trust them. will use USDA site :D

Matt Gruber said:
Chalo said:
Fresh corn doesn't contain enough solids to pack that kind of calorie content.

Thanks! these are really big ears, 200 calories max, way better than 800! I don't know how the site i used to go to could be that far off. Now i don't trust them. will use USDA site :D

As a fault check when reckoning calorie counts: carbs and protein have 4 calories per gram, fat has 9 calories per gram, alcohol has 7 calories per gram. So when something says that a food that's predominantly water contains about 4 calories per gram, it's most likely an error.

When I first saw an ad for low calorie booze I laughed and spat out my Perrier water.

Chalo said:
alcohol has 7 calories per gram.

What about a $0.00 all-day food-a-thon, well others call it a potluck.

OR

Freebie food finding missions inside Dumpsters!

markz
I saw the former CEO of GE (a millionaire for sure) on TV. He said when his wife drags him to a farmers market, to make it fun, he gets everything half price, at closing time. So it is fun to get a good deal at any income.
I built my AC project with scrap lumber, saves me a trip to Home Depot, and there they sell big pieces that won't fit in my car anyway. When i fixed the crack in my ceiling, i actually found a painted white scrap that matched! So i'm a big fan of scrap lumber.
i never look for free food, but i've read stores often throw away any item that is returned, as they fear it might be bad.
DG has corn on sale .20 again this week, and berries $1.50. So i'm going to freeze some of the corn.
And i'm limiting my lunch to 16 oz, as 20 oz is just too much for me.

Chalo
i don't usually count calories on fruits and veggies. But there are some with a lot of fat,
they do make corn oil and coconut oil, for example, so i had to look it up,
But, there does not seem to be much oil in an ear of corn. They must really squeeze hard to find it :mrgreen:
Got 22 ounces from 3 ears, and froze it raw. Lasts up to 30 days raw.
So i'm doing an experiment, based on 4 months of learning about how the body works. Few agree, so it is easy to find an opposite opinion. But I'm using actual research studies that have proven to be correct, time and time again.
Goal is more energy to do things.
BACKROUND: i always eat 1st thing when i get up. But i get real tired an hour later.( Will do blood tests maybe in November). I suspect this fatigue may be caused by too much insulin, and that i may have insulin resistance, caused by fat accumulating in muscle cells, which fill up the cells, and don't let glucose in.
Could also be not enough insulin, and that i why i will need blood tests. Most Dr's don't know anything about this and just reach for drugs, which often make things worse, but can work wonders if insulin is low.
The body stores glycogen in the liver, it converts this to glucose (sugar) so there is plenty of energy available even before breakfast. This is a key fact that i did not know. So, i'm not starving myself if i do work on an empty stomach. Goal is to get low enough on glycogen that i burn some fat that may be trapped in muscle cells.
TODAYS TEST: So i did 1.5 hours work before breakfast, like riding my pedal bike, fixing the mower, climbing up in the attic. Felt good, better than usual, ate breakfast, did 1/2 hr kitchen stuff, and then i started to get tired, as usual. So i consider this test to be 100% successful. so 2 hours total feeling good(for a change)
TREATMENT: eat very low fat diet with no free oils or saturated fat, goal is to keep bloodstream low fat and keep fat from clogging up muscle cells, as they die and are replaced, or to burn up the fat doing exercise. It seems a faster pulse helps clear out the cells(exercise).

Matt Gruber
Just imagine all the food any Walmart throws out. Almost all grocery stores now have a self contained compactor for garbage but smaller stores like Canada's Shoppers Drug Mart have regular open dumpsters. I have gotten a lot out of dumpsters behind grocery stores, it was a family friend who was living on the street that I'd always bump into that told me about all the good spots to hit. Sadly he passed away from a one punch in front of a liquor store, a few weeks later.

Still learning..........
Looks unlikely that a skinny guy will have insulin resistance. More likely too little insulin being produced by the pancreas. This can cause a glucose spike about 1-2 hours after a meal. So i started watching the clock anytime a symptom appears.
I do sometimes have symptoms 1.5 hrs after a meal. My eyes don't want to focus on my pc screen, i get real tired and lie down, some brain fog, and get this: HUNGER, right when the max glucose is in the bloodstream! In the past i'd have a snack, but this is wrong wrong WRONG! More glucose is the worst thing to do. Now i drink a glass of water to help the kidneys excrete the excess glucose! See what 4 months of reading can do? :shock:
All this is backed up by Dr's on the web.
So i hatched a plan 3 days ago that is helping 8)
I divide my 16-18 ounce lunch into 3 portions, and i eat 1 around 11:15am, another about 2 hrs later, and the last around 3pm. And i moved dinner from 4-5pm to 7pm. This is to give my wimpy pancreas time to make more insulin. So since i see improvement, i'm going to get a C-peptide test to check for insulin output. I added it to the lab order from my Dr's office. Let's see if anyone there notices it, or even knows what it is :roll:
They will probably think it is a mistake :lol:

The Food Bank your allowed 4 trips plus a 5th if you cry about it hard enough, and you get a ton of food!
So you could have multiple lunches, breakfasts and suppers for zero, zip, zilch, nada.

markz
I don't qualify for any food bank! They are for needy people. A good place to donate money that I save by being frugal, however.
I'll grab scrap wood going to a landfill, but I'm not going to take food that could help a needy person!
While it is cheap to eat unhealthy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgTkzoCd7Sc
It is just as cheap to eat healthy! This is my point.

Okay, i just saw this thread..
..Matt, your results are super super interesting and a testament to what can be done with diet.

Isn't that insane.. that their approach would be to kill one of your vital organs and make you dependent on a drug for the rest of your life?

I also have been healed by eating animal foods primarily.. i started a low carb diet 5 years ago to help heal a leg injury, and what do you know.. testosterone went up.. constant chest pains that'd been haunting me for over a decade went away.. depression lessened.. lost 100lbs.. energy levels now stable and predictable instead of being an unpredictable rollercoaster.. and i stopped getting sinus infections. Why did low carb work so well? because i was eating a shit ton of carbs and constantly high glucose was taking a toll all across my body.

Did i expect a diet that's mostly eggs, cheese, nuts, dark greens, meat to save my ass? hell no, i just wanted to lose weight and stop hurting..

I've been on it for 5 years now, and don't regret a thing.

So anyway, where'd you get the idea to start your crazy diet?

Matt Gruber said:
spin
my glucose was 115, so that spooked me too. i figure it was caused by my "healthy eating" :(
I'd have several "healthy" snacks between meals. (mango, pineapple, banana, ice cream).
They all had lots of sugar and caused my glucose to spike, and insulin would spike, and i was developing insulin resistance. :eek:
So now i still snack, but on foods that don't have sugar: peanuts, cashews, cheese, sour cream, even cream cheese. I am very happy with these snacks, i just did not have a clue before. :roll:
:mrgreen:

You're describing exactly how i used to eat when i was a self righteous vegetarian.
All organic, no GMO diet consisting of mostly sugar/carbs.. low fat.. low salt.. low cholesterol..

Following the food pyramid is how i got very, very ill for well over a decade..

Matt Gruber said:
Looks unlikely that a skinny guy will have insulin resistance. More likely too little insulin being produced by the pancreas. This can cause a glucose spike about 1-2 hours after a meal. So i started watching the clock anytime a symptom appears.

It's rare but very possible that a person who is skinny can have insulin resistance.
When that is the case, the insulin resistance is extremely dangerous because instead of the body putting fat around the midsection, as with typical type 2 diabetes, it is more likely that this fat will be deposited around the organs.

This kind of person will not readily show red flags at the doctor's office.. doctors will not check for things like fatty pancreas and fatty liver unless there are major symptoms. Some skinny type 2 diabetics have all the secondary diseases that come with diabetes go undiagnosed.

Either way, if your glucose is out of control.. your body knows it is toxic and turning sugar into stored fat is an emergency response. It has to go somewhere.

Matt Gruber said:
I do sometimes have symptoms 1.5 hrs after a meal. My eyes don't want to focus on my pc screen, i get real tired and lie down, some brain fog, and get this: HUNGER, right when the max glucose is in the bloodstream! In the past i'd have a snack, but this is wrong wrong WRONG! More glucose is the worst thing to do. Now i drink a glass of water to help the kidneys excrete the excess glucose! See what 4 months of reading can do? :shock:

That sounds exactly like the type 2 diabetes symptoms i was expressing before i started low carb.
Unless you just ate a half pound of cake or a pair of candy bars for lunch, that's not normal.

I would say that you have a busted glucose response. There are two ways to diagnose that:

1) Do extremely strict low carb for a few weeks, and if you see your energy levels stabilize and brain go clear.. then you know it was insulin resistance.

2) A glucose tolerance test is easy to self administer, requiring maybe a $40 investment in supplies.

P.S. when you are well adapted to a ketogenic diet, most people say that their thyroid values are lower. People with Hashimoto's say that they see improvements on low carb, which is kind of paradoxical. It may be that elevated blood sugars can deregulate the thyroid both ways.

Neptronix
Thanks for taking the time to read my rather long story 8)
I did try the saturated fat/protein (eggs, 20% fat burgers) but (no pasta potatoes or bread) diet for 5 weeks. Did not see any improvement, except when i eat liver i have more energy, so only the liver survives that test.
I don't use the word "carb" anymore as about 95,000 of the 100,000 items in the grocery store have "carbs" and i'd say 94,500 are bad junk food. Then there are still, say, 500 items that from 4 months of reading, i think are good for me, but, many are debatable. I'm back eating mangoes, potatoes, bananas, even limited home made bread, as there was no improvement eliminating them.
Just ordered a glucose urine test kit, 50 tests for $9.77. Want to see if i can zero in on any foods that cause a spike. ... and verify that there is, in fact, a spike. Could be something totally different, i suppose.
My thyroid is doing much better, only 8 pills total in the past 20 days.

Best solution: drink water doing some sport and eat normal.. ( not tooo much fat, sugar, salt etc). That is how I think, I don't believe in medicine solutions....

You're welcome. Weird health issues are an interest of mine.
I personally only eat 1% of what's in the grocery store. When shopping, i circle the outside, and only visit the interior for things like salad dressing and nuts.. i've been eating this way for over 5 years and at this point, it is no big deal for either me or my wife.

Liver probably works because it is friggin' LOADED with B12 in a highly bioavailable form. It's almost like taking a drug to me.
I like taking desiccated liver tablets.. a bit more convenient.. less nasty tasting.. although not nearly as potent..

Glucose pee strips are gonna be a lot less useful than pricking your finger. I don't know how effective they will be at determining blood sugar, because your body may be putting it to use or it may be ejecting it into urine.. and that obscures what is going on in the blood.

If you wanna pay shipping and handling, i can send you some new in the box blood glucose testing implements that i didn't end up using.

neptronix
as a rookie, the finger prick sounds like the wrong test for me.
I'm signed up for a HA1C which is over a 2-3 month time span.
the finger prick is at that INSTANT only, could be way different 10 min later, right?
The urine test would be taken 2 or 3 hours after a meal, and would be the AVERAGE of the 2-3 hours. This sounds way way better to this rookie. I'd like to compare one meal to another.
Just ordered another strip kit that does 11 different tests at once. What if something else is wrong? 100 test strips for $8.75
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Urine-Dipstick-11-Parameter-Urinalysis-Reagent-Test-Strips-100/122608546975?epid=18018269301&hash=item1c8c09f49f

Watched a video by a heart surgeon that did over 1000 bypass ops. He said DONT EAT CARBS!
When quizzed about this he said DONT EAT CUPCAKES AND SODAS!
This is why i don't use the word "carbs" when i talk about food. He did not say don't eat fruits and veggies.
There is no isle in the grocery store "CARBS" The term means almost nothing to me. Yet i have a really good CARB on my 61 Corvette, a Holley, and as good as it is, i would never eat it. :D
What i don't eat are foods shown, in clinical studies, to cause heart disease, cancer, and a shorter life span.
These include, processed meat, beef, pork, poultry, fish- items sold in a grocery store only! Does not include wild caught in the wilderness. They could be good, but are not available to me.
Also no cheese, ice cream, dairy, eggs, or free oils.
moderate alcohol increases response to insulin (old people weren't so dumb after all)
https://jech.bmj.com/content/56/7/542
http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/38/4/723

Processed meat isn't the worst thing you can put in your body. The problem is the nitrates. But cooked vegetables can also be carcinogenic ( look up Acetaldehydes ). So can a variety of other things added to our food ( carageenan is a little questionable )
Obviously the path to health is simple, unprocessed food.

For a long time, some idiots thought that dietary cholesterol and saturated fat lead to a buildup of cholesterol and fat in the arteries.. but later we found out that cholesterol buildup is actually a sign of continuous inflammation, and the body's repair process ( which uses various types of cholesterol ) repeatedly failing to 'heal' the affected area.. thus the buildup..

Constantly elevated blood glucose is responsible for an insane number of diseases and negative effects.. it attacks blood vessels like crazy.. it's why diabetics lose limbs from necrosis.. and just as well, anything else with small blood vessels is gonna have a bad time ( eyes, kidneys, etc ).

Fruit is mostly sugar mixed with some fiber ( sometimes ) and is devoid of nutrients.. the idea that eating it is healthy is pretty off the wall. You can get antioxidants from so many other things. I like leafy greens..

Neptronix
Healthy? what does this mean?
For instance, canola oil is marked "heart healthy". Compared to what? Is it better to eat some kale, or just squirt some canola oil on a pizza? :lol: the kale is not marked "heart healthy".
anything browned can cause cancer. I boil veggies.High temps are BAD. can turn any food unhealthy.
Fruits unhealthy? Not here on earth! Blueberries shown in clinical studies to lower glucose when eaten with oatmeal, for example. Strawberries and rasberries too. But, if someone is trying to decide to eat a banana or some collard greens, why then, the banana is "unhealthy".
A banana or a bag of potato chips, the banana wins. I just ate a banana, wanted a snack, it won over corn chips.
As for processed meat not being the worst? Well then, name your worst. I picked them because The
World Health Org. has them on their list of cancer causing foods. Red meat is a notch lower, probably causes cancer.
As for saturated fat, or any fat, if they end up in muscle cells, where they don't belong, they are said to cause insulin resistance. Said to clog up the cells, and the cells won't or can't let glucose in. This is what I've read, and i'm sure there is a lot more to it.
Nobody agrees 100% on everything, Nutrition is just too complex for total agreement 8)

'heart healthy' is an industry label from the AHA and there is some pretty horrible history behind that label, as well as that organization.

Give this a watch if you are interested in learning more.
[youtube]fvKdYUCUca8[/youtube]

I don't boil veggies because the only good thing about them ( nutrients ) gets leached out into the water..

Fruits unhealthy? Not here on earth! Blueberries shown in clinical studies to lower glucose when eaten with oatmeal, for example. Strawberries and rasberries too. But, if someone is trying to decide to eat a banana or some collard greens, why then, the banana is "unhealthy".

That's like telling me that you can charge a battery and the voltage will be significantly lower for an hour.
Let me see this study because i want to see what kind of methodology produces that result.. :lol:

The banana is less healthy than the collard greens because it contains significantly less vitamins and waaaay more sugar.
( although it's a better source of potassium ).

The worst thing to eat is sugar. There are more dietary diseases linked to high sugar consumption than anything else.
A lot of these health organizations are full of shit including the WHO and ADA. They are not doctors, nor are not scientists. They push political and ideological agendas that are out of line with human biology.

A majority of the overweight and sick people here in the USA are following their recommendations. The results speak for themselves.

Okay, i take that back.
High fructose corn syrup might be worse than sugar because of how it interacts with the liver.
Non alcoholic fatty liver disease rates keep going up and it's suspected that HFCS is the culprit..

But since most of our sugar is no longer cane sugar, maybe that distinction doesn't really matter.

I watched 25 minutes and did not learn anything. skipped to several spots and nothing new. So i hope you have moved on from this line of faulty reasoning. I was duped for about a month when i tried 4 eggs a day, but i did more research and threw out the eggs because of the choline in them that causes cancer to spread. There are lots of GREAT points in the video, like how BAD corn oil is. My view is that there are NO good bottled oils. I'm happy to eat olives, for example, but won't touch olive oil. Anyway, too much of what that lady says is BS. Great sounding BS, but fantasy nonetheless. I would puke if i watched any more. Bad source of knowledge, but GREAT quiz to pick out the flaws.
If this works for you, GREAT! Anyone that thinks fruit is bad, has been led down the wrong path, but, luckily, there are many paths to a happy life, so don't let me rain on your parade.
BTW< i always DRINK the veg. broth from boiling my veggies. My favorite beverage. 8)

Back