LG Chem 10S2P battery modules - 37V30Ah - 1100 wh [EU] [SOLD]

Monstarr said:
I have two sets of 2 modules available. The project which i have used these in for a couple of months is now dismantled because I wasnt very pleased with the weight distribution of the modules in the scooter frame. I did not put them in the original position so it lead to bad road handling unfortunately.
I used 2 modules in series with another similar pack in parallel.

Plan is to rebuild the original 18650 (440 cell) battery for an increased energy density pack which i can mount better and lower. I dont need the power which these modules can produce & I dont have any use for these modules for the foreseeable future so they take up valuable space in my shed.

So I will sell these per two, 275 eur per pack. The 20s modules come assembled with the balancing wires included. +-1 meter leadcables with protection mantle.
Cells did not see a lot of cycles - possibly around 30-40 shallow cycles - 90 -> 50% in my useage. Saw something around 15-20 k km in the Volvo V60 they came out off.

One 2.2kWh set (2 modules) left. :idea:

Thank you Monstarr

Have to still fabricate some bus-bars and parallel the cells...

btw, what do you think? I guess paralleling those cells balance wires should be enough I guess?
Or should I go with something thicker gauge?

I don't just need to parallel the packs. O also need to parallel the cells within. If you wonder what I mean.
I have four pack a 10s2p. I need to reconfigure them to achieve 20s4p.

TilmanBaumann said:
Thank you Monstarr
IMG_20180822_184028.jpg
Have to still fabricate some bus-bars and parallel the cells...

btw, what do you think? I guess paralleling those cells balance wires should be enough I guess?
Or should I go with something thicker gauge?

I don't just need to parallel the packs. O also need to parallel the cells within. If you wonder what I mean.
I have four pack a 10s2p. I need to reconfigure them to achieve 20s4p.

Hi man,

Sorry for late reply. Been somewhat of a pretty hectic period the last weeks for me.
But yeah looking good! They seem like a great fit for your frame.

What I know about paralleling packs is that each series combination (so 20s2p in this case) should need their own BMS device which can shut it off. Thats the way it is also done in large storage batteries etc. Making designing the protection electronics side a bit tricky with off the shelf 'dumb' BMS systems.
I don't really have a lot of experience with the way you are paralleling them. So cant give any advice about it. But if you manage to physical parallel them while still being mounted in the double 20s2P config then kudos for you! :mrgreen:

Thanks, no worries I think it will all be good.
I don't think the balancing loads will ever be higher than the balance cables can handle during discharge. Except for total cell loss perhaps.
I will just Y-wire the balance cables.

Two strings with two BMS is madness and only good and safe under certain conditions.
https://www.orionbms.com/general/using-parallel-strings/

I will of course parallel the individual cells. :wink:

TilmanBaumann said:
Thanks, no worries I think it will all be good.
I don't think the balancing loads will ever be higher than the balance cables can handle during discharge. Except for total cell loss perhaps.
I will just Y-wire the balance cables.

Two strings with two BMS is madness and only good and safe under certain conditions.
https://www.orionbms.com/general/using-parallel-strings/

I will of course parallel the individual cells. :wink:

Great. While I look a bit closer at your picture. Make sure the modules are not able to touch at the terminals. How I look at it you have a bit of a short circuit risk there.

Yes, I have made custom packs, but be warned it is not easy.

This is the only pic I have of an unfinished Pack.
mhcDc8A.jpg

Solexelec said:
Hello
Can you think it's possible to disassembled for build
14s battery?

Yes, as mentioned above, it is possible but not in a 'bolt-off bolt-on' way. The relative easy way is that you dissect two modules in 7s and 3s and make a new connection between two 7S sections. Leaving two 3s modules spare.

The other option, which i do not recommend, is to seperate all cells. Leaving you with 20 cells per module. With 1 module you can build a 14s1p (15Ah) pack.

Are the black plastic dividers bonded together and difficult to separate? Or are only the tabs welded together to make the electrical connections?

SlowCo said:
Are the black plastic dividers bonded together and difficult to separate? Or are only the tabs welded together to make the electrical connections?

There is some overlaying plastic protection you need to get rid off but generally speaking the dividers are seperate. The cells on their own are physically only connected via the tabs. On both sides of the module there are steel clampplates which are connected and therefor clamped by 4 threaded rods. If you remove anything which would make the module slimmer, like the cooling plates, you have to get new M5 threaded rods because the original rods only have threads on a few cm which is not enough for the clamping.

Hello,
I ordered you 4 modules 10s2p-37V30Ah last night. Currently I use two packs Li-po 16s10c16Ah.
To have the same configuration to get the same voltage on my vehicle.
I need to turn the 10s modules into 8s.
This seems possible to do or is it too complicated ?
Thank you in advance
Peter

PITMIX said:
Hello,
I ordered you 4 modules 10s2p-37V30Ah last night. Currently I use two packs Li-po 16s10c16Ah.
Thank you in advance
Peter

Or just keep them 10s and get a programmable controller that can handle 20s. What is your vehicle, motor and controller set up?

PITMIX said:
Hello,
Thank you in advance
Peter

Hi Peter,

I mentioned this before, i do not recommend it when you don't know exactly what you are doing with eye on safety and build quality.
Best to leave them in 10s.

Always be sure to use appropriate battery protection with quality BMS. monitoring & encasing.
Also don't charge below 10 degrees Celcius.

Ok, thanks for the response. I suspect you can not recommend doing dangerous things on a forum.
My motor is a car alternator modified brushless 5kW motor and my controllers are Chinese at 30 €.
It takes 2 controllers to operate this double coil motor.
Currently everything works very well but it is necessary to increase the autonomy.
My vehicle is a small car diesel without license modified in electric.
I saw the controllers who look very good :
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=75494

PITMIX said:
Ok, thanks for the response. I suspect you can not recommend doing dangerous things on a forum.
My motor is a car alternator modified brushless 5kW motor and my controllers are Chinese at 30 €.
It takes 2 controllers to operate this double coil motor.
Currently everything works very well but it is necessary to increase the autonomy.
My vehicle is a small car diesel without license modified in electric.
I saw the controllers who look very good :
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=75494

Indeed, li-ion cells need to be handled and used with great care and only be used with adequate protection for itself and the environment and with monitoring at all time.

Please check your PM inbox.

Hello I replied to your private message.
Don't worry, I know what the dangers are. I use lipo 16Ah for example to roll various prototypes DIY.
I use lipo alarms as well as bms of different power. For these batteries I will order 4 news bms 20s because I can power my vehicle in 2 x 16 s or 2 x 20 s with 2 controllers on a motor with double windings type pseudo part-winding.
So I absolutely need 2x16s minimum and 2x20s to be at the top of my engine performance.
Here is for example 1 of my packs lipos 16s 16Ah with a BMS and cards JST XH completely removable
I use this box for my lipo pack
boite-de-munitions-kaki_300x0.jpg

Also see a video where I explain how to modify a LIPO 4S battery with a LIPO 3S dead cell.
This manipulation can only be done if one is aware of the risks of working under tension. It must be done with great care and not done without the appropriate knowledge
[youtube]m_Dt7LBA7Yk[/youtube]

Attachments

• lipo 16s 16AH BMS.png
    lipo 16s 16AH BMS.png
    100.4 KB · Views: 3,096
Hello I give you news of my batteries. I made the connection of the 14-pin plugs for the balancing wires of the elements. In a few days I will receive you my BMS 20s.

Attachments

• 20181205_032547_rmedited.jpg
    20181205_032547_rmedited.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 2,927
  • 20181205_032716_rmedited~2.jpg
    20181205_032716_rmedited~2.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 2,926
I am also waiting for a power supply 230VAC / 48VDC + a booster 0 to 120VDC 900w adjustable.
This will serve me to make a DIY charger.
With this charger I will be able to charge my lipos Multistars 16 and 12 elements, and also the Packs LG 20 elements up to 84v without problem.

Hello,
I finished editing the 2 packs in 20s 2p30Ah.
I prepared a dump bench to test the actual capacity of the batteries. I use a heating resistor of an old air conditioner and the resistance of my electric barbecue.
Under 72V it is a charge of 5A is about 360w.
The 30Ah should empty in about 6 hours.

Attachments

• Pack 20s avec banc de décharge.png
    Pack 20s avec banc de décharge.png
    169.8 KB · Views: 2,880
Back