My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

I shipped the motor to Bafang for troubleshooting. Here are some photos in case anyone can spot something wrong. The pinched speed sensor wire is bad, but wasn't causing any issue. And I see there is a nylon gear inside, but the gear doesn't look melted or anything. I wasn't able to get the cover off the other side of the motor, so no way to do a post-mortem on that wiring unfortunately.

pinched_speed_sensor_wire.jpgpower_wires.jpgmain_wires.jpgblue_connector.jpggears1.jpggears2.jpggears3.jpgView attachment 6View attachment 5inside2.jpginside3.jpg

nothing looks wrong there, but hard to tell without examining the gears up close (especially the movement of the pawl clutch and the needle bearing clutch).

Also, your motor appear to be an early V1.0 with the white pcb and nylon gear so hopefully your replacement will be a supposedly more reliable v1.5. The speedo cable is still pinched but maybe not as bad as yours or the v1.5.

For the winding-side cover, it's quite hard to remove, I had to do serious taping with a rubber mallet to open it.

Ivanovitch_k said:
For the winding-side cover, it's quite hard to remove, I had to do serious taping with a rubber mallet to open it.

Did you get the winding core out?
Looks like its glued.

IMG_3133.JPG

nope, couldn't even get the rotor out... but it's screwed on the sides iirc.

You vice-gripped onto the bearing and pulled out ? Bearing wasn't damaged ?

Ivanovitch_k said:
nope, couldn't even get the rotor out... but it's screwed on the sides iirc.

You vice-gripped onto the bearing and pulled out ? Bearing wasn't damaged ?

I gripped it in the bigger holes of the rotor. Not the bearing. Wasn't so hard.
But the windings? Must be glued, it won't budge.

Ender2000 said:
Hey guys,

Does anyone know a decent rear bike light that connects with the g510? I ride a lot at night and I'm very interested in having a rear light that I don't separately have to charge or get off my bike to turn on.

Was thinking of getting this setup:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B1SQ5QW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_8?smid=A1E99XZEFH7SO2&psc=1

Says it is for
Bafang mid-drive.

3W is the limit of what the Bafang can supply (6V x 500mA = 3W). So you should be good with that light set.

Interesting to hear trooper5707's trials with the derailleur. I had the same end result but my hanger wasn't bent. My chain was too short and pulled the derailleur into the spokes. All good now though.

Got the new battery latch fitted but still have a Velcro strap around the battery and frame. Not going to chance it coming out again.

Latest issue: I am hearing a rapid pinging noise (like when you flick a tensioned spoke) when I brake moderately hard, from both the front and rear brakes. Bit of vibration too. Any idea what I should be looking to fix? Nothing seems obviously wrong. The rotors look flat and none of the spokes or calipers seem loose.

hello,
I made a bike with bafang ultra and I have a problem with it. It consumes quite a lot of battery quickly, 17ah is enough for 50 km. The engine gets quite hot when running flat at a speed of about 25-30 km / h. is this the normal behavior of this drive?

zacharyPL said:
hello,
I made a bike with bafang ultra and I have a problem with it. It consumes quite a lot of battery quickly, 17ah is enough for 50 km. The engine gets quite hot when running flat at a speed of about 25-30 km / h. is this the normal behavior of this drive?

I noticed on your other post - is it the Ludicrous mode from Luna ?

I can do around 40-45miles on 52v x 17AH with only level 1 pedal assist. No throttle. I think that comes to around ~18wh/mile. This is with the ludicrous mode, 3in knobby tires, geared all the way down.

Yes, motor gets a lot hotter than BBSHD. I want to say this is anecdotally known - I believe Karl's blog has more details.

40371546_10214986926924758_2549013655102423040_n.jpg
Have the bike pretty much setup for commuting, and have made the 20 mile ride to work several times. I do miss the rear panniers setup I had on my Rad Rover, but making this work OK. Love the bike, no issues thus far. Got a message that Ivy sent out my EX1 set.

Kitaro1999 said:
zacharyPL said:
hello,

I noticed on your other post - is it the Ludicrous mode from Luna ?

I can do around 40-45miles on 52v x 17AH with only level 1 pedal assist. No throttle. I think that comes to around ~18wh/mile. This is with the ludicrous mode, 3in knobby tires, geared all the way down.

Yes, motor gets a lot hotter than BBSHD. I want to say this is anecdotally known - I believe Karl's blog has more details.

My engine is purchased from Alibaba without any modification, version 48V, 1000W tires I have quite narrow typical urban. 40-45 miles give about 60km or a similar distance, I am asking what average speed do you make this distance?

zacharyPL said:
My engine is purchased from Alibaba without any modification, version 48V, 1000W tires I have quite narrow typical urban. 40-45 miles give about 60km or a similar distance, I am asking what average speed do you make this distance?

I can do 20+ Mph with level 1 assistance . 25 with level 2.

Richard N said:
Dear Frey.

Please speed up the development of the hardtail version.

Thank you,
Richard.

The waiting is killing me.

Yes, come on Frey!!

More people out there will buy more Hybrid/Hardtail than MTB!!

Is it possible to program the Bafang Ultra to limit power somehow?
In my country we have a maximum of 250W engine allowed and 25km/h assist maximum (no throttle).
When using the bike on the street I want to be able to limit it, and to be able to unlock it when going offroad.

I have bought the programming cable, would it be possible to maybe limit ECO-mode 1 to be maximum 25km/h and no throttle.

joq3 said:
Is it possible to program the Bafang Ultra to limit power somehow?
In my country we have a maximum of 250W engine allowed and 25km/h assist maximum (no throttle).
When using the bike on the street I want to be able to limit it, and to be able to unlock it when going offroad.

I have bought the programming cable, would it be possible to maybe limit ECO-mode 1 to be maximum 25km/h and no throttle.

What you could do:
Make a hidden switch that interrupts the throttle signal cable. With the software you can limit pedal assist up to 25km/h
So if you disconnect the throttle you only are left with pedal assist up to 25km/h

Instead of a cable I used a Power supply connector that I can pull out and hide or throw away (I have some spares)

switch.jpg

Not sure why need cable nd additional switches for? Just go into the LCD display .
1. Double click the i button keypad.
2 Select Display setting,
3. Go to Speed limit & change to the require speed of
25km. Save it.
That is it.

hoojsn said:
Not sure why need cable nd additional switches for? Just go into the LCD display .
1. Double click the i button keypad.

You can't disconnect the throttle in the display.
And if police stops you its easier to flick a switch then go into your settings.

Any word on when frey will be migrating to a 52V batteries because I am ready to order? Sadly, I am a lazy cunt, a non-tapout bro non-chad white knight type that doesn't like to peddle at all. I see my bike a means of transportation, not something to make me have lean tight legs - if I wanted to do that, id go for a run or to the gym. Nevertheless, I can run my radrover mini - which almost seems like a cheap toy at this point for around 22 or 23 miles and still have plenty of power left to get around on full throttle - mind you it is really sluggish by the time I get home. From the factory the radrover has abount 672 Wh's of energy and weight about 30KG's. The frey frey in question weighs about 25 Kg's and has 1008 Wh's of energy - which is 50% more than the radrover when using (48V 21AH LG 3500mA cell) battery quoted on alibaba. Nevertheless, even though I still havent found a normal repsonse of range on full throttle this bike will achieve after 38 pages and after 10 people asking . From what I have gathered, the range on this bike is no better that the much cheaper and heaviver radrover.

Am I wrong in my assumption? Based on the numbers, this bike should easily achieve around 30 miles of range on full throttle and when I mean full thorttle I dont mean flat out doing 70KPH, I mean crusing around 40-50 KPH. Can anyone help me here ?

As well could someone please explain to me the difference between these two bikes.

https://wholesaler.alibaba.com/product-detail/3rd-Gen-AM1000-Bafang-ULTRA-G510_60700621160.html

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/3Rd-Gen-Am1000-Bafang-Top-Ultra_60724207851.html?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.1.75095ec5NAlcDp

its only $140.00 Difference, but there is no point of paying an extra $140 if I don't have to. The only difference I can see is one says rockshox's 19 and the other says rockshox's 20.

I have a Rad Rover, Rad Mini, and AM1000 - I am 215lbs, and have a 19 mile commute. I carry a full set of clothing, first aid kite, air pump, lock, etc, a pretty good weight on top of myself.

My Rad Rover makes it in PAS 3 - holding about 18-20 MPH, and has just a little battery left when I get there.

The Frey holds 25 in PAS 3, and I normally push it up to over 30 on some stretches, and it has a good amount of battery left.

Hope that helps with the range, I can't say I have just full throttled either bike and ridden to it dies, but I have the 21ah batt on the Frey and it is significantly faster plus more range.

As far as the model comparison, I'd say all the bikes are custom built. They start at a certain price, and each upgrade adds to the cost. Best bet is to contact direct and spec what you want and then it will be quoted. I did standard suspension, EX1 set, 21ah battery, and front and rear lights.

To add - I am not an electrical engineer at all, so perhaps someone can work it out - The Rads are 750W with 672Wh, Frey is 1000W with 1008Wh, I would estimate full throttle range would be similar, but the speed would be higher on the Frey. Full throttle on my rover is 26MPH, I am 37-38MPH on the Frey.

I know: ( KWh of pack / wh/m ) = Distance

and

Volts x (Amp Draw / MPH ) = Wh/m

I just don't know the amp draw of the Rad vs the Frey.

It funny how other peoples minds work. Riding it till dies would be the first thing I would do out of the box lol. Thanks for the info, sadly it is just a reiteration of the aforementioned. You said a lot, but at the same time said nothing that help me further my decision. When it comes to making a comparison. The rad uses a 750 watt motor where as the Frey uses a 1000watt. Though that power is not continuous and fluctuates based on series of assumptions, this is my best guess on how the math would work.

Frey 1008 W/h @ 1000 Watts = roughly 1 hour of use at full speed which according to you is about 37MPH - we are the same weight. (37MPH*1)= 37 Miles of range from the Frey

Rad 672 W/h @ 750 Watts = roughly 54 minutes of use at full speed which according to you is about 26MPH ( 26MPH*(54/60))= 23.4 miles of range from the rad

Though this math is grossly simplistic because DC power consumption isn't linear like this math assumes, the thought process is a pretty accurate reflection of what I have been getting out of my radrover. Unfortunately I have the 500watt version, so my experience is off based on that.

With the frey do you experience the same gradual power loss that you do with the rad? The rad is good for the first 10 miles, than after that, its a slow as heck.

Hi all,

I did the out of the box ride till it dies on PAS5 sport mode and the battery "can" be emptied within just over an hour (25 Amps max setting for 52V battery at 43v LVC). But there are soo many considerations, weight, tyres, wind, rider position, amount of stops, that any number will be useless.

But let me tell you this, the difference between riding 50 km/h (PAS5) and 40 km/h (PAS3) is huge on the range you get. Also, keep in mind that the voltage drops more on higher settings making the LVC kick in, so you can squeeze more out of it with lower settings.

This weekend I plan to cycle 90 km but will take a spare battery with me just in case one won't make it or I want to go faster.

My "sweet spot" for the commute on the Rover has been about 18-20 MPH at PAS 3, it leaves a safe buffer on the commute and rolls well. I do full throttle it on some of the tighter parts. Besides the bigger motor and battery, the mid-drive Frey has the advantage of gears, so with a similar level of effort on my part, I am rolling 25+ and still have plenty of battery, plus I get up to 35 on the tight parts. Also going through the gears on the Frey is much quicker acceleration.

The speed difference is noticeable, and makes a significant difference on the time my 19 mile commute takes.

My Rover is a 2018 - I have not noticed any drop in power until the very last bar, that takes it down to PAS 1 (like 150 watt on the meter) - and it barely moves.

If you've not ridden a mid drive, the difference with using the gearing is major!

New to this site. Got my AM1000 at the end of July and everything was fine until today. Went for a ride and I had no pedal assist so I headed home up the hill and tried the throttle and then the PAS was working again. i turned around and went for my normal 14 mi. ride. As long as I didn't use the front brake it seemed to work ok, but there were a few times when taking off from a stop I had to use the throttle to get the PAS back on line. At first I thought it was the front brake that was causing the problem but after putting it on the stand and running through different braking and pedaling sequences it seems like it's random but the throttle always brings it back on line.
The display seems to be working properly, I can go through all of the options, change the assist level etc. I have unplugged all of the electrical connection at the handle bar and re plugged them and it didn't help. The battery was fully charged when I started so I don't think that has any effect. If anybody got any suggestions about what would cause this I am all ears.
I'd read every post on here before I bought the Frey and was impressed with the level of involvement from owners and the feed back from Ivy so I am hoping this something that can be fixed

Back