Power a trolling motor with generator

Freebrid

10 µW
Please let me know if this topic has already been covered. Thx

Here is my question: I have a Yamaha EF2000i inverter generator which has 110v output, I also have a 55lbs trolling motor, which draws maximum 50amps on 12V, can I connect them together using a switch power? like this one here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015RXDRE0/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_5?smid=AMH4W1K8OCGMX&psc=1

Would the generator damage my motor? What if I put a circuit breaker in the line, would it help?

Thanks in advance!

And furthermore, is adding a battery in the middle going to help? So if I run the generator, charge the battery, simultaneously connect the motor to the battery? Can the battery serve as some kind of buffer to protect the motor? And is this going to damage the battery? Since the amp in/out will vary based on motor load.

Sorry for so many questions, I am a newbie.

I'd just get an appropriate sized 12V charger, and use it to charge a battery. You generator is way bigger than it needs to be, but there's no harm in that. The battery being in the circuit will make life much easier on everything else involved, just make sure the charger is big enough or the battery will slowly drain.

Incidental to this question, I successfully ran a Minnekota40 Maximizer off my ebike battery for several hours before my 48volt (nominal) to 12 volt DC DC converter (which output 12.1 volts - not enough to charge an intervening AGM battery) before the DC DC went up in smoke bucking a 3 knot current running full out - it was rated at 30 amps output..I haven't found another suitable DC DC alternative with higher amperage...that convertor was designed for golf carts running at around 48V, but had a max voltage rating of 61V as I recall, so I did fulfil the DC-in requirement, but not the Amperage out requirement. At half throttle on the motor I imagine it would have held up indefinitely, so it was worth trying.

Thank you guys. I read some posts somewhere saying you should never connect the motor directly to a generator. I guess that's not true?

Directly would mean 110V from the generator to the 12V input of the motor. It would go up in smoke...
Use a 110V to 12V converter that can deliver 50 amps and Bob's your uncle (or aunt, who knows these days...)

"Directly" I meant(like I stated in my first post) using sth like this in between:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015RXDRE0/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_5?smid=AMH4W1K8OCGMX&psc=1

Or maybe a computer switch power would work? Some of the switches are rated for 700w, my motor at highest setting is no more than 50a. But I am unsure if these are designed to handle these? Anything that I might have missed?

The power supply in the first post looks like it would work. You'd have the added feature of being able to adjust the speed with the voltage setting. It doesn't look very water resistant though.

Those inexpensive server power supplies should also work.

The power supplies have all kinds of over current protection built in so it should be pretty safe.

Using a battery would add some complexity but also allow some distance without the generator running.

When I built a generator bike to run an inverter, I had a different set of requirements. But I did use a diode isolated 12V battery as a buffer to establish a normal RPM and voltage on the pedal side, and a continuous source of power on the inverter side. In your system, a battery would absorb voltage fluctuations, transient load spikes, and electrical noise. You could probably use a boost capacitor bank the same way.

Another advantage of a battery in the system in addition to the stuff Chalo listed is some redundancy if the generator cuts out, or just some silent running time with the generator off.

Back