New "TSDZ2 Torque Sensor Central Motor"

andrea_104kg said:
Ok, i will try... today i have flashed the lcd3, and it's a success! (v 0.7)
next week i wil try to flash the controller (i have a 36v battery)
the firmware it's the same for 36/48v battery? (only configuration on lcd?)
What's the max factor for "assist level factor" ? It's a percentage?
Yes, you must configure on LCD3 only.
Assist level is just a factor.

I finally developed the BOOST at initial motor startup, by increasing pedal torque sensitivity at startup. Also now it fades out to the regular power (fades out to a lower or higher value). I am very happy with the result!!

This new development is included on the release V0.8: https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki

Code:
4: startup power boost: boost the initial motor startup, by increasing pedal torque sensitivity at startup
 0: config: default value: 1. 0 to enable power boost only when startup and bicycle wheel = 0; 1 every time pedal cadence or torque sensor are zero.
 1: limit boost power to max battery power value: default value: 0. 1 to enable power boost limit to the Max battery power value.
 2: boost time: default value = 25 (2.5 seconds). 0 to disable startup power boost feature.
 3: boost fade out time: default value = 25 (2.5 seconds). Fade out from boost power to regular power.
 4: assist level boost power: this is the boost power (for assist level 1) in watts. Note that this value is not limited by the Max battery power screen value, it is although limited by the battery max current value.
 x: assist level boost power: this is the boost power for assist level x -- same as the previous and repeats for the next assist level.

Hey guys for those of you who are holding back or just want to know a bit more about the firmware please see my review at the link below
[youtube]IrWn6e8bIuQ[/youtube]

jbalat said:
Hey guys for those of you who are holding back or just want to know a bit more about the firmware please see my review at the link below
[youtube]IrWn6e8bIuQ[/youtube]
MANY THANKS!! I just linked to your video on wiki home page: https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki

What a nice weather outside :)

Hi.
I am looking for the original firmware (.hex) TSDZ2 engine for the VLCD5 display with trottle, because I lost the copy of the original by uploading it "Open ... flexible .." which works only with KT-LCD3 and my engine can not be started.

The work you've done with the open source firmware is truly impressive! I'm planning to fit a 36v TSDZ2 to my wife's bike. For safety's sake I think it's wise to fit brake cut-off switches. AFAIK the standard TSDZ2 display has sockets for the appropriate brake levers. Is anyone using brake cut-offs with the KT-LCD3 display and open source firmware? I've checked the wiki FAQ... there's a section about brakes but the link to additional info about the brake mod isn't working.

20-20 said:
The work you've done with the open source firmware is truly impressive! I'm planning to fit a 36v TSDZ2 to my wife's bike. For safety's sake I think it's wise to fit brake cut-off switches. AFAIK the standard TSDZ2 display has sockets for the appropriate brake levers. Is anyone using brake cut-offs with the KT-LCD3 display and open source firmware? I've checked the wiki FAQ... there's a section about brakes but the link to additional info about the brake mod isn't working.
I created now a dedicated page just for how to install the brake sensors: https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki/How-to-install-brake-sensors

casainho said:
I created now a dedicated page just for how to install the brake sensors: https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki/How-to-install-brake-sensors

Thanks!

Karolwi said:
Hi.
I am looking for the original firmware (.hex) TSDZ2 engine for the VLCD5 display with trottle, because I lost the copy of the original by uploading it "Open ... flexible .." which works only with KT-LCD3 and my engine can not be started.
Here (I hope): https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TongSheng_TSDZ2_motor_controller_firmware/tree/51af8e04e89b92ce603b65bec061ad1b4fa6e8f0/TSDZ2_original_firmware_and_improved

Thank you casainho for the answer but ".bin" files I tried to convert to "ihex" in different ways but without result, when trying to upload such converted, there was an error, so I'm looking for a proven and after conversion to the "ihex" or "s19" format
And one more thing, two months ago you uploaded files in the ".hex" format but when I read the programmed STM8, I got errors, maybe because the "ST-Link V2" cables were 18cm long?

Karolwi said:
Hi.
Hi. Do u need 36 or 48 volt hex?

Did a release of V0.9 where as far as I could test, lights are now working.

Go and install the new version: https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki

After loading "TSDZ2 Flexible Open Source firmware-v0.9" Error: Verify failed at address 0x4000
Error: <DATA MEMORY verifying failed.
I do not know how to change it

I installed the firmware v. 07 but the result is very very bad.
The engine is constantly on and off, the engine is tearing.
Every two turns of pedal only one is with assistance of the engine.
Unfortunately, so much effort for nothing :( :(

andrea_104kg said:
Every two turns of pedal only one is with assistance of the engine.
Try to enable motor assistance startup without pedal rotation, to see if there is any issue specific with your TSDZ2: https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki/TSDZ2-and-KT-LCD3-advanced-features-with-Flexible-OpenSource-firmwares

Code:
5: various
 1: motor assistance startup without pedal rotation: default value: 0 (disabled). 1 to enable this feature. Recommended to keep at 0 value if you don't have brake sensors installed.

Thank you very much Kisazul for the firmware, the TSDZ2 engine works and I am very happy.

How to install TSDZ2 motor temperature sensor to avoid permanent damage/loss of torque

I installed the LM35 temperature sensor and developed the firmware to show the value on LCD3. After the first ride of 15 minutes, running at max of about 10 amps, I started at 27 degrees Celsius and finished at 85 degrees -- I wish to control my motor to not get more than 85 degrees, so clearly It is easy to get the motor over temperature!! Next I will implement the reducing of motor current linearly when temperate starts to rise after a certain value and stop after a max value.

I wrote a wiki page with notes about how to install the temperature sensor: https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki/How-to-install-motor-temperature-sensor

The sensor:

motor_temperature_sensor-02.jpg

And glued on the motor:

motor_temperature_sensor-03.jpg

Is this high temperature something we need to worry about? Did you drive the motor really hard to get it this hot, or was this just a routine ride? What battery was used?

I've got a 48v 750w TSDZ2 on order, along with an LCD3 with the intention of using your open source firmware, and am looking forward to getting it up and running.

But I'm concerned if overheating will be a problem. Is there a config I can use that will prevent it from running that hot? I'd like to have the throttle for occasional hill boost, so wouldn't really want to lose it just to get a temp readout, and max-temp limiting.

The bike will be used on the road, with occasional hills to 6%. Was hoping to average low 20mphs, with a 52v 13 or 17ah battery. Will this be enough to cause the high temps you experienced?

And thanks in advance for all your work on this!

casainho said:
How to install TSDZ2 motor temperature sensor to avoid permanent damage/loss of torque

I installed the LM35 temperature sensor and developed the firmware to show the value on LCD3. After the first ride of 15 minutes, running at max of about 10 amps, I started at 27 degrees Celsius and finished at 85 degrees -- I wish to control my motor to not get more than 85 degrees, so clearly It is easy to get the motor over temperature!! Next I will implement the reducing of motor current linearly when temperate starts to rise after a certain value and stop after a max value.

I wrote a wiki page with notes about how to install the temperature sensor: https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki/How-to-install-motor-temperature-sensor

The sensor:

motor_temperature_sensor-02.jpg

And glued on the motor:

motor_temperature_sensor-03.jpg

Good work. Thanks

Azur

spiked said:
Is this high temperature something we need to worry about?
Sure it is!! I hope you did read the wiki link I post that says:

The Curie temperature of high-grade Neodymium (with added terbium and dysprosium) is 320C / 600F. However, common neo magnets are made from the cheapest grade, and can start to lose some of their magnetism at around 80C (170F).

E-bike motor magnets are a grade that is slightly higher than the cheapest variety, because they are often subjected to higher temps than they should be by unsuspecting customers. Years of posted experiments by real E-bikers on endless-sphere have produced a commonly held rule-of-thumb to avoid heating your E-bike motor to above 95C (200F).

In: https://www.electricbike.com/motor-tech-learn-the-terms-part-1

spiked said:
Did you drive the motor really hard to get it this hot, or was this just a routine ride? What battery was used?
I did not ride hard and was a routine ride, I was at max of 500W (about 10 amps) at some peaks. As you can see on LCD, I used 61 Watts/hour is 15 minutes so at power average of 61 *4 = 244 watts (half of that max of 50W).

At 85 degrees of the motor, outside I could touch with my hand and see it was very hot but clearly I already did touch my motor from the outside more hot than that. It is easy, the same ride I did of 15 minutes, I usually do the same type of ride but for about 60 minutes - 4 times more!!

But I hope other users can replicate my experience and so we can get more data and validate all this.

My apologies if this has already been asked/answered. I looked through a few pages and couldn't find a straightforward answer.

With this new firmware, what kinds of speeds is this motor/controller capable of safely sustaining? I know a lot of factors are involved, but let's say a 160lb rider on flat ground, riding a hybrid/road bike. Is it reasonable to guess that 40km/h is sustainable without overheating?

Hi Casainho, this is the feature I’ve been waiting for (besides walk mode)
Firstly for my 6 pin controller do you have a better picture which can help me find the throttle wires. Or will it be obvious ?

Secondly I assume we can switch between temperature and % watt hours used, if so can you also display the degC icon so we know which mode we are in.

Third have you been able to verify that 27deg and 85deg with a normal temperature gauge so that we know the scaling is accurate ?

GREAT WORK MAN !!

Back