Blackfly at Oshkosh

Do folks really fly development/experimental aircraft without even a crash hat ? ..
...let alone take their wives / girlfriends (equally unprotected) along for the ride.
Or is this craft fully tested and authorised for regular flights ?
A critical power loss in this, is not going to be a fixed wing glide down landing , or a heavy "free rotor" helecopter crash landing.....it more like riding in a decending missile ! :shock:

Hillhater said:
A critical power loss in this, is not going to be a fixed wing glide down landing , or a heavy "free rotor" helecopter crash landing.....it more like riding in a decending missile !
I very much suspect that it can land safely (perhaps not as smoothly as it might otherwise) after losing an engine/prop. And since you can make everything as redundant as you like (i.e. separate controllers and batteries for each motor) the odds of two simultaneous failures within a minute or so of each other becomes astronomically low.

After all, a helicopter cannot survive a loss of its rotor - but they are considered "safe enough." (And a rotary wing + swashplate is far more complex than one of the motors on this thing.)

Im sure they have built in multiple segregation and redundant systems, to cater for the majority of predictable failures ....but nothing is infallable as many have discovered.
The is always some common factor in controls and systems, and even the unpredictable and remote possibilities like a flock of birds destroying the props , lightening zapping the controls ...
But either way, if there is goung to be a power failure, i think i would rather be in a fixed wing.
And yes, the balistic parachute would be the answer.

It's hard to tell if those two wing like things are just a place to mount the motors, or are actually lifting surfaces, with an airfoil. If so, it is difficult to see them doing much dead stick ridge soaring, much less thermaling! The blissful look of the people shown flying it, shows dropping like a rock is not on their minds. Multiple redundant systems is probably how they intend to do it. A ballastic chute is not cheap or light, and also presents a marketing issue, "oh, you mean this thing isn't all fun and games, but could kill me?" The Cirrus line of aircraft has long featured a b chute, and there are many instances of them being used when normal pilotmanship would have also done the job: pilots using them when they flew into IMC (stupid, shoulda turned around sooner) or other avoidable situations. They can lend a false sense of security and lead to bad decisions. There is a general feeling among pilots of light aircraft (not counting aerbatic, they need one) that a "real" pilot is for better or worse the best solution to a bad situation, not a rocket and a chute.

My plane, ridge soaring dead stick, pretty good for a draggy fat tired "bush plane." Once a glider pilot always a glider pilot I guess. Ridge soaring deadstick is great emergency training, but get's a bit old after 3 hours or so (my longest), I like an aircraft that FLIES, not one that beats the air into submission. For those who can't stand to see or hear (Chalo) an ICE in action fast forward to the 5:00 point! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J9v433C0nM

craneplaneguy said:
The blissful look of the people shown flying it, shows dropping like a rock is not on their minds. Multiple reduntant systems is probably how they intend to do it. A ballastic chute is not cheap or light, and also presents a marketing issue, "oh, you mean this thing isn't all fun and games, but could kill me?"
:lol: My thoughts exactly. I like the idea of a hybrid helium ultralight, like the Voliris, but with with tilt rotors for VTOL.

[youtube]xOJvtaiNp5c[/youtube]

Ghost Rider said:
:lol: My thoughts exactly. I like the idea of a hybrid helium ultralight, like the Voliris, but with with tilt rotors for VTOL.

That looks pretty cool. I could see something like that being electric and reasonably safe. It even looks like a bike.

Back