Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

The ol' v-box should work, probably dirt cheap on e-bay. Or if you don't mind spending a couple of hundreds on better units you can take a look at the dragy performance meter. It got a great mobile app too. And if you are willing to go all in there are race loggers too. But many of those also log all kinds of engine parameters too so you need to find one that only do gps logging so you can have drag time, reaction time, 1/8 +1/4 time etc. I haven't run the dragy myself but I saw one on a vw beetle meet this summer. Easy to use and you get instant data to your phone.

Does anybody know what component is the limiting factor on the Light Bee EU homologated version? I'd like to know if you have to swap out the battery, the controller or both to get it to work like the normal offroad version.

racingame said:
Does anybody know what component is the limiting factor on the Light Bee EU homologated version? I'd like to know if you have to swap out the battery, the controller or both to get it to work like the normal offroad version.

light bee L1e version is "wire restricted" .. so full power and both power settings can be "derestricted" by simply cutting the limit wire (similar to stealth) ..

reference : https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=61259&p=1379383#p1379383

efMX Trials Electric Freeride said:
racingame said:

light bee L1e version is "wire restricted" .. so full power and both power settings can be "derestricted" by simply cutting the limit wire (similar to stealth) ..

reference : https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=61259&p=1379383#p1379383
Hi we received the first 20 units yesterday in UK , the bikes actually come with the wire cut and restricted to 45 kmph, but simply joining the wires next to the battery connector block gives you speed 75kmph + straight away , so ride legally on the road as a moped and in 10 seconds switch to full bore for off road fun https://instagram.com/p/Bnt328Vh44M/

urbanmoto said:
racingame said:

Hi we received the first 20 units yesterday in UK , the bikes actually come with the wire cut and restricted to 45 kmph, but simply joining the wires next to the battery connector block gives you speed 75kmph + straight away , so ride legally on the road as a moped and in 10 seconds switch to full bore for off road fun https://instagram.com/p/Bnt328Vh44M/

Got yours fitted with xcontroller as standard or was it optional?

macribs said:
The ol' v-box should work, probably dirt cheap on e-bay. Or if you don't mind spending a couple of hundreds on better units you can take a look at the dragy performance meter. It got a great mobile app too. And if you are willing to go all in there are race loggers too. But many of those also log all kinds of engine parameters too so you need to find one that only do gps logging so you can have drag time, reaction time, 1/8 +1/4 time etc. I haven't run the dragy myself but I saw one on a vw beetle meet this summer. Easy to use and you get instant data to your phone.

I understand that phone accelerometers are not good enough to do this job? The hardware you suggested does not seem cheep for me. Now most important advatage of EVs compared with gas vehicles is acceleration. A 5kw ebike can accelerate faster than a sport ebike. It is a pity that this thing is not advertised, shared enough. Many ebike builders are power hogs, they brag about acceleration / speed but they can not show numbers to prove performance. To compare ebikes we need APPs like strava.com to show speed on trails/uphills, to prove range, i think we need a tool that many owners builders of ebikes around the world can share to compare their ebikes.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=vbox+sport&_sacat=0
https://www.n54tuning.com/dragy-gps-based-performance-meter.html

Hard to tell if the app in your phone is correct or not. I remember a couple of years back we tested an android app vs a race logger just for fun. Every run was different on the phone vs the race logger. And it was not consistent either. Sometimes the times was showing too little other times too much. And if you do acceleration tests not only does each second counts, but each tenth of second and sometimes even hundred of a second.

That app used the build in gps in phone hardware iirc. But it is two or three years ago no so things might have changed. Maybe app is better now, maybe hardware is better. You can only know by testing. Or look for such an app and see if other has tested the app and see what they say about accuracy. If it ain't right about the times it is a waste of time and money.

I have heard of companies all over the world taking delivery of the X model sur rons in mass quantities, but have yet to hear about one place in North America that has done the same. I really want to buy one of these but do not want the Older Luna version. Has anyone had any luck getting one of these shipped from places like tmall or Taobao or a local dealer here in North America. I am starting to lose interest in this product because it is so damn hard to buy

ryan1685 said:
I have heard of companies all over the world taking delivery of the X model sur rons in mass quantities, but have yet to hear about one place in North America that has done the same. I really want to buy one of these but do not want the Older Luna version. Has anyone had any luck getting one of these shipped from places like tmall or Taobao or a local dealer here in North America. I am starting to lose interest in this product because it is so damn hard to buy

I've been trying to figure out a way and am also in contact with someone who is getting quoted on Shipping some of the X-Version from china. Luna Cycles probably won't get any X-models any time soon from what I can determine.

Compared to ordering from luna cycle, the X-version will be about $1,000 cheaper in china when factoring in that Luna cycles charges $180 for shipping + will cost you about $300 for the sine-wave controller upgrade. The issue is you will need someone from china to ship (shipping agent or forwarder) the bike to you because Sur-Ron is not offering any international shipping.

This is where it gets difficult. One agent I contacted didn't want to ship an electric bike because of dealing with customs because of the battery. They said shipping a battery is trouble for them. You will need to find an agent who will do all this for you and not rip you off in the process. You will need to order the bike and have it ship to the agent, who then ships it to you. You will also have to deal with language barriers. You have to make sure the shipping agent or company is reputable because they sometimes can ship the goods without the proper documentation then demand more money for the documentation, I doubt this will be an issue if you find a reputable large company with reviews like on allibaba.

I believe it can be done and shipped for maybe a few hundred dollars (making the bike actually $500-700 cheaper than Luna) if we can find the right shipping agent who will do this for us. There is also no tax/duties for electric bikes shipped to USA from china so we do not have to pay for that just really a small customs fee and the shipping fee.

You can search for shipping or forwarding agents like on Alibaba and contact them and see if they will ship it. If you do look into this keep us updated on what you can find. I believe many of us would purchase the X-version and wait a month for it to get the newer version. You can also buy parts really cheap for the bike, like the larger sprocket and chains, and batteries.

What I really think we should do is a group buy because Luna Cycles is probably paying $2000 for these bikes and selling them for $3500 + shipping and not offering any warranty either.

Offroader said:
ryan1685 said:

I've been trying to figure out a way and am also in contact with someone who is getting quoted on Shipping some of the X-Version from china. Luna Cycles probably won't get any X-models any time soon from what I can determine.

Compared to ordering from luna cycle, the X-version will be about $1,000 cheaper in china when factoring in that Luna cycles charges $180 for shipping + will cost you about $300 for the sine-wave controller upgrade. The issue is you will need someone from china to ship (shipping agent or forwarder) the bike to you because Sur-Ron is not offering any international shipping.

This is where it gets difficult. One agent I contacted didn't want to ship an electric bike because of dealing with customs because of the battery. They said shipping a battery is trouble for them. You will need to find an agent who will do all this for you and not rip you off in the process. You will need to order the bike and have it ship to the agent, who then ships it to you. You will also have to deal with language barriers. You have to make sure the shipping agent or company is reputable because they sometimes can ship the goods without the proper documentation then demand more money for the documentation, I doubt this will be an issue if you find a reputable large company with reviews like on allibaba.

I believe it can be done and shipped for maybe a few hundred dollars (making the bike actually $500-700 cheaper than Luna) if we can find the right shipping agent who will do this for us. There is also no tax/duties for electric bikes shipped to USA from china so we do not have to pay for that just really a small customs fee and the shipping fee.

You can search for shipping or forwarding agents like on Alibaba and contact them and see if they will ship it. If you do look into this keep us updated on what you can find. I believe many of us would purchase the X-version and wait a month for it to get the newer version. You can also buy parts really cheap for the bike, like the larger sprocket and chains, and batteries.

What I really think we should do is a group buy because Luna Cycles is probably paying $2000 for these bikes and selling them for $3500 + shipping and not offering any warranty either.

My best friend lives in China during the winters - white guy that ended up marrying a rich Chinese women. Any way, he is about to head back to China for the winter in a month or two after the road construction seasons wraps up, he says I can get it shipped directly to his wife's house in Hunan province, but I am scared that he wont be able to get it out of the country for me, I have tried many freight forwarding agents and all of which have gave me the dangerous goods run around. Man this is such a frustrating process

ryan1685 said:
Offroader said:
ryan1685 said:

My best friend lives in China during the winters - white guy that ended up marrying a rich Chinese women. Any way, he is about to head back to China for the winter in a month or two after the road construction seasons wraps up, he says I can get it shipped directly to his wife's house in Hunan province, but I am scared that he wont be able to get it out of the country for me, I have tried many freight forwarding agents and all of which have gave me the dangerous goods run around. Man this is such a frustrating process

Could you explain the issues they are having shipping the bike? What do you mean dangerous goods? Is it because of the battery?

There are many people who have no issues at all shipping batteries by sea freight, I ordered 300 cells from Poland a couple of years back. You can do it, you just have to fill out the right forms. You may also need to remove the battery and ship that separately.

Don't forget the new import tax thanks to Dufus in Chief. Luna says the next batch will go up by $450. Yay America.

3DTOPO said:
Don't forget the new import tax thanks to Dufus in Chief. Luna says the next batch will go up by $450. Yay America.

I thought the new import fees apply only for e-bikes?
Would it not be possible to handle the Surron as a moped? As it has no pedals it should be not so hard to do..

madin88 said:
3DTOPO said:

I thought the new import fees apply only for e-bikes?
Would it not be possible to handle the Surron as a moped? As it has no pedals it should be not so hard to do..

I'm no tariff/import expert. I just know Luna says the next batch is going to cost more - check their website.

Allex said:
urbanmoto said:
racingame said:

Got yours fitted with xcontroller as standard or was it optional?
They were ordered as standard with X sine wave controllers from the factory, we also have off road version arriving in 3 weeks again fitted with X Sine wave controllers as standard, but you can still order with square wave controller.

This seems shady that Luna Cycle is raising the price of the ebikes by $450. I'm trying to locate just what the tariffs will affect and even at 10%, that should only increase their cost of the bike about $200-$250. I'm not 100% sure the 10% tariffs will even hit the electric bikes as it is not a blanket 10% tariff on anything.

I know Luna has been saying for a while they are selling the bike really cheap and making little profit. I think we need to find out exactly how much Luna is paying for these bikes and figure out what they are up to.

It is ridiculous that there is only a single dealer in USA for this bike.

Offroader said:
This seems shady that Luna Cycle is raising the price of the ebikes by $450. I'm trying to locate just what the tariffs will affect and even at 10%, that should only increase their cost of the bike about $200-$250. I'm not 100% sure the 10% tariffs will even hit the electric bikes as it is not a blanket 10% tariff on anything.

I know Luna has been saying for a while they are selling the bike really cheap and making little profit. I think we need to find out exactly how much Luna is paying for these bikes and figure out what they are up to.

It's a 25% tariff. I'm surprised it isn't raising the price more. I guess Luna is paying $2000 per bike?

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/industry-news/2018/08/07/25-e-bike-tariff-confirmed-ustr-will-take-effect-august-23#.W6DlGmhKguU

Could be a supply vs. demand thing too. If I was constantly selling out of product, I might raise the price.

Glad I got mine when they were cheap.

n2mb said:
Offroader said:

It's a 25% tariff. I'm surprised it isn't raising the price more. I guess Luna is paying $2000 per bike?

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/industry-news/2018/08/07/25-e-bike-tariff-confirmed-ustr-will-take-effect-august-23#.W6DlGmhKguU

The Sur-Ron isn't an electric bike but is most likely classified as a motorcycle. It doesn't have any pedals or can't be humanly driven.

That is probably the reason. Surprised they put 25% tariffs on ebikes.

I'm not sure if this link will work, but it looks like the Light Bee's big brother is about to be released!

https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/DPYM3S5lOiJTUZzsrw5qkA

The Light Bee is now available in 7 colors :D

mFJLOdc.jpg

Also Sur-Ron made a partnership with Insta360 (a GoPro-like Chinese company) and they offer the Model X together with Insta360 camera and chest mount.

XYzCYkN.jpg

Offroader said:

My thinking is, maybe the price increase has something to do with the tariffs imposed by Blondie, and some of the increase is due to the upgraded controller. Not certain though.

Back