Interbike 2018, Reno-Tahoe, Sept 14-20

https://www.interbike.com/events/northstar-free-ride-festival/

Bike Demo's on Saturday 15th and Sunday 16th from 9 am to 5 pm.

On Saturday the 15th ...
BOOGALOO Class 1 eMTB Race – 3:00 pm – 5:00 pm –
The Boogaloo is a Class 1 Electric Mountain Bike Race (eMTB). The race event will be held on a course at Mid Mountain at Northstar California’s Bike Park specifically designed for eMTB racers. Expect a variety of terrain that will take you and your eMTB to the limits of what you thought possible on two wheels.Sign up

https://ibnet.a2zinc.net/odd2018/Public/custexhibitorslist.aspx?ID=18701&_ga=2.60142313.571288937.1536812552-2004543032.1535565321

I'm not really following, why go to all the trouble just to use the front triangle of an existing bike when ebike specific frames(EBB,vector) can already do what you want? Every swingarm would need to be custom to that specific frame. Let's start a new thread and discuss, I want the same thing but would go about it differently. Nick are you going to be a Northstar?

I am ready every day. Even the bike is ready. Stepped it up a notch since Beckworth. What do you think? Would love to get into the convention if anybody can take me. The mechanics race sounds interesting.

Attachments

• 20180912_163816.jpg
    20180912_163816.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 3,199
Yes start a thread on this topic , in the E-Bike General Discussion .

Asking

" why go to all the trouble just to use the front triangle of an existing bike when ebike specific frames(EBB,vector) can already do what you want? Every swingarm would need to be custom to that specific frame. "

devo1223 said:
I'm not really following, why go to all the trouble just to use the front triangle of an existing bike when ebike specific frames(EBB,vector) can already do what you want? Every swingarm would need to be custom to that specific frame. Let's start a new thread and discuss, I want the same thing but would go about it differently. Nick are you going to be a Northstar?

Is "Skibike" the topic, or just how to experiment. I know the first five bikes will end up in the recycle bin. I have to focus on just making the tire. Perhaps "Snowbike tire experimental platform". Then swing arm length, low seat, power, head tube angle. Just napkin drawings now that would have to be tested. Testing by a rider who doesn't collect social security! Devo come with me. When DP makes snow I will go up before they open. Lets put a ski on your bike. Look for a studded tire in 17". I use Ice Spikers in 26 on everything except the fat bike.

If we are going to watch the eMTB race I wonder if we can drop in from the Fiberboard Freeway? I see my bike and I getting kicked out of the base area. Does one need a ticket to ride Northstar if not using the lifts? Anybody ride Northstar?

What is with the single aero bar Devo?

Demo pass includes lift service for the demo bike only. It is free. If you want to load your own bike on the lift you have to pay. The event is running the resort Sat Sun, not the ticket office.

The ticket office was fun. It took 10 min. to figure out if ebikes are allowed. Really, I am the first to ask? No price list over the windows or printed. I was just opening my wallet when the guy next to me asked for a peddle pass. I learned if you don't ride the lift it is free.

No problem dropping in from the Fiberboad Freeway. The interbike brochure doesn't list it, but the fun thing to do would be camp Watson lake and drop in each day.

Saw Craig from Eco Adventures working with the trikes. No booth, but he will be around.

Cool so did you take the service road up and bike down the trails? I can't make it till Sunday but i'm up for taking the fiberboard. We could even start from my house

If you wanted to camp up there and drink heavily, but without a lift pass we are better off parking at the bottom. I tend to always play until I'm dead and pedal home. No throttles so pedal in the base area. Class 1, but without a lift I doubt no one will check. I ran all day PAS throwing rocks everywhere. It is their rule so they have to fix it. Look forward to PASing some production bikes to see if they are any better. Craig seems hooked up with Focus.

I wanted to take the bus. One and half hours, but still, it would have been cool. There is a guy riding a cargo bike from the Bay to get here. How cool is that.

Hope i get to shake hands with that guy there.. i'm driving :lol:

I think I got the green light to go tomorrow so I might see you up there

Well that was awesome. I got to ride the fantic 180 in the ebike race pro class and I didn't get last place! Thanks Kyle Peraez for hooking me up with the fantic and Troy Lee for letting me sign up late. All I got to say is holy spitzing, that's the fasts production bike I've ever ridden. I was passing hiabikes and levos like they were standing still

You forgot to thank God you are not hurt. However I am glad to see the my little Guinea Pig go. Quickly Write down the PAS improvements and where you want it to go. I fear that racing with cruise control while rubbing your tummy and patting your head is the black magic move that takes you to the dark side.

I only road two bikes, but achieved my goal of getting in the ski bike business. If I wanted to get rich at it I should have stayed longer in the upper lot. No camping, but like so many of these things, the reps have to do something. Getting to know them in a more casual setting can yield unexpected results.

Forgot to say thank God I am safe. The Rambo guy as you were leaving. We did a very unsightly demonstration of speed and power.

Show the lift line!

Interbike 2018: Electrek is in Reno covering all of the e-bike announcements:
https://electrek.co/2018/09/16/interbike-2018-electrek-is-here/

Starts:
Interbike is the largest bicycle trade show in the US, where retailers gather every Fall to show off their newest and coolest products. While there are companies and representatives from across the cycling industry, each year has seen a growing number of electric bicycle companies arriving to spill the beans on their cool new rides.

This year it already seems like electric bicycles are taking over the show here in Reno, NV, with more e-bike companies than we can even count already setting up their booths. Here’s what we’re looking forward to seeing over the next few days.

:mrgreen:

Includes:
As we mentioned, electric bicycles have played a small yet growing role in the main Interbike Expo over the last few years.

However, this year the number of electric bicycle companies has exploded, and the e-bike section of the indoor expo takes up nearly half of the entire event space.

Electric bikes have exploded??? Remember kids... always store your batteries outside...

:lol:

40666691_10155770785068097_1420948315943469056_n.jpg

:wink:

Interbike Outdoor Demo summary: off-road electric bicycle heaven:
https://electrek.co/2018/09/17/interbike-outdoor-demo-summary-offroad-electric-bicycle-heaven/

Starts:
Interbike, the largest bicycle trade show in the US, kicked off its industry and media-only portion today with the Outdoor Demo – a chance for companies to show off the abilities of their e-bikes.

While we saw some nice road-ready electric bicycles, it was the wide array of electric mountain bikes that stole the show. Read on to see the impressive lineup of diverse e-bikes we test rode today.

Raleigh electric road bikes

The Interbike Outdoor Demo took place at the Northstar California Resort, home to an impressive, sprawling ski resort in the winter and some pretty intense downhill mountain biking trails in the summer. So obviously its pretty hilly – the perfect place to torture test some e-bikes!

Even though downhill electric mountain bikes were the darlings of the day, we started off a bit easier by testing some of Raleigh’s street and hybrid bikes, the 2019 Raleigh Tamland IE and the 2019 Raleigh Lore IE.

Includes:
As Rob Kaplan from Raleigh described it to me:

“The Lore IE is a mountain bike style that we’ve tweaked into an urban assault vehicle.”

BULLS electric mountain bikes

The Outdoor Demo was mostly full of off-road electric bicycles, and the Northstar California Resort’s downhill trails were an excellent location to put the e-bikes through their paces.

We started off with a pair of e-bikes from BULLS, which are known for their rugged and powerful rides. I took the BULLS SIX50 EVO AM4 while our publisher Seth rode the BULLS Monster EFS fat-tire bike.

Hehe... "urban assault vehicle"... :lol:

... and:
But if riding these rough trails taught me anything, its that spending that kind of money gets you a bike that can safely and comfortably handle extreme terrain like this, especially compared to some other bikes we tried late in the day. More on that in a moment.

Rambo electric fat-tire bikes

Soon it was time for lunch which was served at the lodge part way back up the mountain. Sure, we could have hopped on the chair lift to ride up with all the pedal bikers, but that’s not what we came here to do! Time to test out the climbing ability of some new electric bikes. This time we took out a pair of the Rambo R1000XP G3 Carbon electric fat tire bikes.

... and:
These bikes aren’t cheap either, at $4,699. But if you want a carbon fiber fat bike with crazy power, this is your ticket. Though Rambo also has some lower power models that are quite a bit more affordable, and even a kid’s size electric fat bike too, which we should see more of in the next couple days at the Interbike Expo.

Haibike XDURO NDURO 10.5 and Magnum Peak 27.5

The Haibike XDURO NDURO 10.5 was simply an absolute machine – a work of art even. And considering the price tag of $6,999, it better be. The suspension on it was so soft, Seth described it as “like riding a giant marshmallow”.

At first, he wasn’t sure how he felt about it.

:lol:

Ends:
But at less than $2k, it’s not really in the same class as these $6k+ e-bikes either. It’s a good affordable e-mountain bike, while the Haibike is a great high-end e-mountain bike.

Watt’s next?

The Outdoor Demo was a great chance to try out some of the coolest electric mountain bikes, but there’s a lot more at Interbike than just e-mountain bikes.

Over the next few days we’ll be seeing many more e-bikes from all walks of life, including road bikes, cargo bikes, folders and more. We’ll be sure to share the latest news on product releases and announcements from all the major electric bicycle brands.

The outdoor demo is about half the size of the outdoor demos I went to back in Las Vegas. That being said, I like it better. A lot of big names didn't show up, but I think this will grow fast. In Las Vegas Interbike was "just another convention", but here, everyone is very happy to have the bike people here.

Vegas was hot in September, Reno is very comfortable

OD at Vegas had trails and some hills at Bootleg Canyon, but the Reno OD uses a ski lift to take you up to the top of snow ski trails, and the downhill runs are insane.

If you are testing the hill-climbing of an ebike, there are STEEP hills right next to the OD, you don't have to go far.

The people in Reno and Tahoe just seem friendlier. There are free shuttles from the airport ot all the hotels. Free shuttles to the convention center, and a free bus from the convention center to the outdoor demo. The outdoor demo is about an hour away, and it is up a mountain, so Tahoe is about ten degrees cooler than Reno.

Reno2.jpg

(Grabbing popcorn...)

capture.jpg

(They say:)
ESIST.Tech>Gaming>Science online curator/Feed hybrid for upcoming technology, science, games, ebikes and gaming technology. We broadcast a daily selection of the best content published on the internet. Think of us as a type of Netflix or Hulu but we aggregate the best websites, videos, blogs, and news.

Interbike Outdoor Demo summary: off-road electric bicycle heaven:
https://esist.tech/2018/09/17/interbike-outdoor-demo-summary-off-road-electric-bicycle-heaven/

Starts:
According to Electrek (This article and its images were originally posted on Electrek September 17, 2018 at 12:32AM.)

Interbike, the largest bicycle trade show in the US, kicked off its industry and media-only portion today with the Outdoor Demo – a chance for companies to show off the abilities of their e-bikes.

While we saw some nice road-ready electric bicycles, it was the wide array of electric mountain bikes that stole the show. Read on to see the impressive lineup of diverse e-bikes we test rode today.

Interbike Outdoor Demo summary: off-road electric bicycle heaven
https://electrek.co/2018/09/17/interbike-outdoor-demo-summary-offroad-electric-bicycle-heaven/

2018 Interbike Updates - Outdoor Demo Day at Northstar
[youtube]jc8zXqPSeAo[/youtube]

Interbike: What eBikes Do You Want to See??
[youtube]kmhXgy1a4nI[/youtube]

"Let me know watt you want to see in the [C]omments Below" (on Youtube, silly!)

I will be looking for you all!

Most interested in NuVinchi under their new name. Currently they can combine with a Bosch Intuative so there is only a cadence button, no gears, no eco etc. My holy grail. The GSD is the coolest cargo bike, but it didn't have cadence, just normal NuVinchi shifting and eco etc.

Craig and Mike both sent my phone their info. My phone refuses to give it me. Sorry dudes.

Devo, compare the two race tracks. Do you guys know Devo? He is Clark Kent during the week. However Saturday he beg, borrowed, and stole to get into the race. He has riding skills and just the person I want to read reviews from.

Back