[youtube]reIHx1ozxYk[/youtube]
[youtube]rEQndIkU-PM[/youtube]
[youtube]jkBEU5JlPgQ[/youtube]

markz said:
just saying
why break a sweat, no need

just saying
why cope with snow, no need

Human beans are about 60% water. So it make no sense to me to live in a place where water changes state ... either to ice or to vapor ... that is, so long as you have other options. :^)

wturber said:
Human beans are about 60% water. So it make no sense to me to live in a place where water changes state ... either to ice or to vapor ... that is, so long as you have other options. :^)

Hehe.
Cold places are killing every winter, so many small creatures that are harmful to man. Even those that can survive, are well tempered at -30. :mrgreen:

No wonder why people are living longer in cold countries. :wink:

Cold climate longevity is probably more of a correlation to other associated factors than being caused by cold. But even if that is not the case, I'm happy to opt for a shorter life with no snow shoveling in it. :^)

Building successful cities in the desert is a fairly recent thing, with modern irrigation technology being mandatory if you plan to have anything to eat nearby. You get it pretty good then, generally warm, without all the nasty things that are trying to kill you off like in the tropics.

But it's totally dependent on technology. Without that desert life is not awesome at all.

Suggestion? Electric SNOWBLOWER... rather than a plow... East Coast "WET"/heavy snow used to defeat to just about anything... but a smaller diameter intake and out-take/exhaust outta throw about anything... (small animals included) Maybe taking longer to clear the driveway... but slow and steady should win in the end. :wink:

dustNbone said:
Building successful cities in the desert is a fairly recent thing, with modern irrigation technology being mandatory if you plan to have anything to eat nearby. You get it pretty good then, generally warm, without all the nasty things that are trying to kill you off like in the tropics.

But it's totally dependent on technology. Without that desert life is not awesome at all.

All modern life is "totally dependent on technology." Without oil, coal, etc. Life in the snow is barely tolerable. So what? I'm still not going to live around it if I have a choice. :^)

In the city, winter is dirty and has more downsides. Cities are full of downsides in any climate anyway. Yet in the mountains or countryside, winter is clean and beautiful. I love it to spend the winter skiing and fishing on the frozen lakes, making a dinner with friends after snow sports, spending the evenings in the camp by the fireplace with my GF...

It did happened a few times that I took some mid-winter vacations in the south to enjoy the sun on the beach, but it was never close to the satisfaction of a trip in high mountains during the hot weeks of the summer.

I guess we all have some favourite climate. Some are feeling good in the heat, others in the cold. Here we have it all, with 4 seasons that are very different. You have to know how to enjoy the best of each of them.

wturber said:
All modern life is "totally dependent on technology." Without oil, coal, etc. Life in the snow is barely tolerable. So what? I'm still not going to live around it if I have a choice. :^)

Hehe... If yer tapping about blowing snow... Archimedes' screw... as a thingee to blow snow... The screw pump is commonly attributed to Archimedes... (c. 287 – c. 212 BC)...

Archimedes-screw_one-screw-threads_with-ball_3D-view_animated_small.gif

MadRhino said:
Cold places are killing every winter, so many small creatures that are harmful to man.

Tell that to the mosquitoes and biting flies. Those seem to be worse in wintery places, whenever it isn't freezing.

MadRhino said:
I guess we all have some favourite climate. Some are feeling good in the heat, others in the cold. Here we have it all, with 4 seasons that are very different. You have to know how to enjoy the best of each of them.

Absolutely. I wish more people liked the snow. The population here has grown to more than six times what it was when I was born here in 1959. That's about a bit more than 40% growth every ten years.

Chalo said:
MadRhino said:
Cold places are killing every winter, so many small creatures that are harmful to man.

Tell that to the mosquitoes and biting flies. Those seem to be worse in wintery places, whenever it isn't freezing.

They're irritating for sure, but generally not a threat to human safety. Mostly they just make you an involuntary part of the food chain.

Tropical mosquitoes will give you malaria and make you dead.

dustNbone said:
They're irritating for sure, but generally not a threat to human safety. Mostly they just make you an involuntary part of the food chain.

Three words, "West Nile Virus." :^)

That said, mosquito problems are related to many factors other than four seasons, cold etc.

https://www.cdc.gov/westnile/statsmaps/cumMapsData.html

dustNbone said:
West Nile takes out under 1,000 people in a bad year.

Malaria kills between 500,000 and 750,000 every year.

Sure. But West Nile can make you seriously ill. And even though it kills less than 100 people in the U.S. in a year, I'd say it qualifies as more than an irritant and is a bit of a threat to human safety.

The closer you are to north or south poles, the less are viruses transmitted by insects or animals, the less there are poisonous and dangerous species.

Hot climate does make an ideal environment for bacterias and viruses to develop and spread.

During the cold mid-winter, we can feel the quality of the air and water.

dustNbone said:

There are a lot of places that don't have snow, but also don't have malaria. Like any place in the USA that doesn't have snow, for instance.

Conflating non-freezing climates with malaria is like conflating freezing climates with polar bear attacks. They're coincident but not inseparable.

Chalo said:
[
Conflating non-freezing climates with malaria is like conflating freezing climates with polar bear attacks. They're coincident but not inseparable.

There's a West Nile map on the link that I posted earlier that shows just that.

Anyway, sorry for dragging this way, way off topic. We're still expecting a high over 100 F tomorrow here in Fountain Hills.

While we have no snow, after the monsoon rains, we may have to shovel some dirt.

[youtube]5PlhxCgEV7w[/youtube]

Chalo said:
dustNbone said:

There are a lot of places that don't have snow, but also don't have malaria. Like any place in the USA that doesn't have snow, for instance.

True, another large factor is wealth/poverty. Florida, for instance looks like a great place to get Malaria. But expensive control measures have been instituted to eliminate it. Same with wealthier places in Central and South America. Malaria was a huge barrier to the construction of the Panama Canal just over 100 years ago, but the Canal Zone is essentially malaria free now. But it wasn't cheap.

Hehe... "Snow Plow on Bicycle"... Canadian much? :lol: Cda used to have doctors and hospitals watt used to be experts at "topical diseases"... as "snow birds" would travel "down south" for winter vacations, and discover lots of "weird critters"... These daze, with "global climate change"... they don't have to travel anymore. :) "Lime Disease" comes to mind...

Anywho. Back to snow plows. My vote still for a snow BLOWER. :lol: The last "blower" I had also had self-propelled wheels (with chains on the tires... remember chains?). How about a blower watt has remote control and clears yer driveway "by itself". :mrgreen:

At one point in my life, I moved from mild weather in the southwest to places where it snowed a few times a year.

If my new friends and neighbors had given me some newbie advice, it could have saved me lots of money and effort. That being said, I noticed some things when I was driving a snow-plow truck about three times a year.

In the neighborhoods that were mostly populated by retirees who were familiar with the local characteristics, there was a pattern. Any car in a driveway was packed "nose outward", and the wipers were sticking up like antennas.

For those who are new to snow, when you go to clean the snow/ice off of your windsheild, it's easier if the rubber wiper blades are not frozen to the glass.

As far as backing-in the car. If you back out the driveway on a normal day (*which is likely sloped to shed rain), then you must come to a stop and change the transmission from reverse to forward. There are rare times when the road in front of your house is slippery (*and might also be sloped uphill) and you just sit there spinning your tires, while the lubricant and seals in your differential are cold...not good.

If your car is pointed out, you can get in, put the transmission in drive, and hopefully slide out into the street while carefully maintaining forward motion until you make it to a well-groomed street with better traction.

I have a second set of keys for every car. I can start the car, and then lock the door with the engine running and the defroster blower on max, while I go back into the house to make a warm cup of coffee. When the time arrives, I can get into a car where all the windows are free of ice and snow.

As to snow in the driveway, if you drive on it even once, it gets packed into a form that is similar to ice, and is difficult to shovel. Immediately after a fresh snow storm, the snow is typically dry and fluffy, easy to shovel. If you wait even one day, the partial overcast sun will partially melt the snow and then it will freeze overnight into ice.

Stay off the driveway, and shovel any fresh snow every morning, even if it is still snowing. Using an ebike with a DIY snowplow blade is brilliant.

Back