Ebike prices expected to rise? 25% tariffs.

billvon said:
But nowadays it doesn't really matter what the outcome is - it's how you spin it. There are some good effects from tariffs, after all; the US steel industry will likely benefit in some ways even if tariffs harm the industry as a whole. As long as you take credit for those good effects and find someone else to blame for the bad ones, tariffs can be an effective political tool, at least for a while.

Yes, tariffs always have the potential to be an effective political tool. The same is true of wars.

Radpower increasing prices by $200 thanks to the tariffs. My local bike shop also reported increase in almost all bike parts d/t the tariffs. Prices will only affect American buyers not Canadians. https://www.radpowerbikes.com/pages/rad-power-bikes-tariff-announcement

georgefromvt said:
Voice your concern. https://peopleforbikes.org/say-no-bike-tariffs/

If spitting into the wind makes you happy, then go ahead.

Also, the kind of narrow view expressed in the petition is so typical of U.S. (all?) politics. There's a much broader issue with over 1097 product categories being affected. The notion of focusing on bicycles as the one item out of 1097 seems rather silly. The bigger issue is that tariffs (and trade wars) are almost always pretty bad ideas.

But I suppose the online form makes People for Bikes appear to be doing something important. Yeah team!<sarcasm>

Hehe... "Yes, tariffs always have the potential to be an effective political tool. The same is true of wars." ... is this not "golden"? :wink:

China imports allot of Coal from the U.S.
But would China put a tariff on Coal imported from the U.S. ?
it is not in their interest to do so.

" There is also no current suggestion that China would retaliate against the United States by targeting coal, should Trump accept the recommendation of the U.S. Commerce Department for a slew of curbs and tariffs on steel and aluminium imports from a variety of exporting countries. "

^ And now President Trump has put into effect , the recommendation of the U.S. Commerce Department for a tariff on Cheep, Direct Bought E-Bikes, Cheep E-Bikes that some people sell over the internet , and a few store fronts, and E-Bike Motors from China .

Here is another quote from the article.
" China bought 5.95 million tonnes of U.S. coal last year, ( 2017 ) more than double the 2.8 million of the prior year, while India remained the top Asian destination, with imports of 13 million tonnes, up from 8.7 million in 2016. "

Here is an article from early this year ...

https://www.reuters.com/article/column-russell-coal-asia-usa/column-china-not-trump-drives-u-s-coal-export-revival-russell-idUSL4N1QA18T

So if China , and , India increases their demand for use of American Coal, the price of Coal could go Up , not down.

MadRhino said:
At least, coal is gonna be cheaper. :twisted:

ScooterMan101 said:
E.S. is double posting , and/or I clicked on the quote icon instead of the edit icon, in any case I have edited this one since it had the same wording as the above post .

See also ES thread US Smuggling of Chinese Bicycles & Parts Will Begin Next Week...

Does this mean, the already overpriced ebikes that use BOSH mid drives and sell for $6000 will now cost $7500 ?

Good thing I would never buy em at $6000 let alone $7500.

Ebikes built with Bosh drives are not made in China, neither the components that they are usually equipped with. Batteries, maybe...

It is the average cheap ebikes that will cost more, not enough to discourage buyers. Yet, there are so many things made in China, that American companies are using to make their products, that a lot of things will cost more at the end. But, the western world can afford paying the extra, while the average Chinese consumer will not be able to buy American products anymore. So, this trade war strategy will only make the American commercial deficit bigger.

MadRhino said:
Ebikes built with Bosh drives are not made in China, neither the components that they are usually equipped with. Batteries, maybe...

It is the average cheap ebikes that will cost more, not enough to discourage buyers. Yet, there are so many things made in China, that American companies are using to make their products, that a lot of things will cost more at the end. But, the western world can afford paying the extra, while the average Chinese consumer will not be able to buy American products anymore. So, this trade war strategy will only make the American commercial deficit bigger.

Its all smoke and mirrors anyways. We are told we have more money due to tax decreases , then inflation goes nuts and tariffs add to the inflation.

As far as the BOSH mid drive ebikes, I would never pay $5000 or more for one of their ebikes. Ive got a stealth bomber copy, made with ALL Chinese ebiker parts and I only spent $3000 on it . Ive been riding it for about a year and its great. I have the controller set for a top speed around 45 mph and good torque. The reality is this, if I can get a decent performing item, for a great price from overseas , then Ill often buy it . This is just human nature and common sense. Im not gonna spend $5000 on a ebike with American made parts, when I can spend $3000 for a ebike with foreign made parts, and thata cheaper ebike performs as well or better then the American made one. Patriotism doesnt mean fiscal stupidity. :lol:

I'd bet that you WOULD pay that $5000,..... IF, you had an income that allowed you to!!! Nobody wants something cheap, if they can afford otherwise. And many would pay extra for convenience too,.... IF, they can afford to do so. Patriotism is relative to home and family. Even if you personally worked at the Bosh factory in your own home town and got a 20% discount, with above average income.... you would still only buy from Bosh if you could afford to do so, otherwise, your still jus gonna buy that $3000 Chinese special!!!

I believe the last motor I ordered direct from China a couple years ago, was subject to a 6% tariff that was included in those "high shipping costs", so often complained of. Many imports are subject to tariffs already and have been for decades,... one of the many reasons I am no longer a craftsman of leather items and accessories (rather shocking that in a country that produces so much beef and pork for domestic and export, and yet you could count the domestic tanneries on one hand with fingers missing!). The high shipping costs of imports in general, offsets high tariffs on many items while still keeping a low overall expense with few exceptions. "Most folks will hardly notice!",.... sound familiar. :roll: Yes,... your high shipping costs helps pay tariffs on luxury items you probably can't afford!

While many are watching for the effects of tariffs on technology (motors, controllers, electronics, etc.), you likely haven't noticed other things, like STEEL!!!! I'm a bit ticked at domestic steel that has bitched about low cost imports, and now with high tariffs they raise their domestic prices, making ALL steel more expensive,... domestic or not!!! And you know damn well these prices for both will never come back down with or without tariffs!!! "Trade wars are easy to win!",... sound familiar again. Yup,... the winners are domestic and foreign corporations, and consumers seldom see any great slice of that pie!!! As a corporate employee,... you can only hope to see some scraps of the crust to enjoy.

Yes, prices of e-bikes WILL rise,.... with or without tariffs. 25%??? Maybe,... and when all has ended, we might see prices drop 10-15%!!! Which is 10-15% higher than WITHOUT this tariff battle!!!

But WTH!!! Average income has increased, right??? :? Well, for China anyways.

DRMousseau said:
I'd bet that you WOULD pay that $5000,..... IF, you had an income that allowed you to!!!

You would lose your bet. I assure you , I have a income that can easily afford a $5000 ebike. No need to spend that when I was able to get all the performance I need, for $3000.

rumme said:
Patriotism doesnt mean fiscal stupidity.

Arguably, patriotism does mean stupidity, but that's a fairly narrow view of why someone might pay more for stuff that isn't made in China. I bought a battery from Chicago Electric Bicycles, made in Chicago, IL, and in general I'll go to some lengths to find and pay for stuff that's made in the US - or Canada, Mexico, Italy, Taiwan ... Often this means I get superior quality. Sometimes it means I decide to not buy something I don't really need right now, which is another way to win. But the main thing is, how can it not mean trouble, for the rest of the world to let the Chinese make everything?

donn said:
rumme said:

Arguably, patriotism does mean stupidity, but that's a fairly narrow view of why someone might pay more for stuff that isn't made in China. I bought a battery from Chicago Electric Bicycles, made in Chicago, IL, and in general I'll go to some lengths to find and pay for stuff that's made in the US - or Canada, Mexico, Italy, Taiwan ... Often this means I get superior quality. Sometimes it means I decide to not buy something I don't really need right now, which is another way to win. But the main thing is, how can it not mean trouble, for the rest of the world to let the Chinese make everything?

China isn t making everything . Korea, Japan, Russia, Israel , Mexico and many other nations make things, along with the U,.S.

My point about the BOSH $5000 ebikes, WAS SIMPLE. I aint gonna spend $5000 on a ebike { even though I can afford to} , when I can get another ebike for $3000, that gives me the performance I need AND, may give better performance { in some ways{ then the $5000 bosch ebike system....For example, top speed on my stealth bomber clone, is over 50 mph . I doubt a $5000 bosh ebike can do that. My ebike also has a 72 volt - 28.4 AH battery , I doubt Bosh provides that kind of voltage and capacity on their $5000 ebikes.

The United States still makes lots of high tech weapons, genetically modified corn and soybeans, and new kinds of scams. These things are in demand worldwide.

The whole point of trade is to let different places do what they're best and most profitable at doing. Slapping a 25% surcharge on Chinese goods is not going to make American industry any better or more efficient at making stuff. They'll just charge more, and executives and capitalists will pocket the difference.

The rest of us take a pay cut, because things cost more but we don't get paid any better.

Chalo said:
The United States still makes lots of high tech weapons, genetically modified corn and soybeans, and new kinds of scams. These things are in demand worldwide.

The whole point of trade is to let different places do what they're best and most profitable at doing. Slapping a 25% surcharge on Chinese goods is not going to make American industry any better or more efficient at making stuff. They'll just charge more, and executives and capitalists will pocket the difference.

The rest of us take a pay cut, because things cost more but we don't get paid any better.

Well, it is an import TAX. So we know where a bunch of the money goes given that even with the tariffs, many of the Chinese products are still cheaper. Basically, the government is coercing you into buying from less preferred sources and/or sticking its hand into your pocket. It is fundamentally both a restriction of personal liberties and a bit of "larceny" - which aren't exactly good things.

That said, if the tactic manages to get us to an end result of fewer overall import tariffs on both sides, that would be a good thing. I'm trying to be hopeful that this is the end goal. But I'm not exactly holding my breath that it will work.

It's still illegal for US citizens to buy Cuban cigars. I'm told by a seemingly reliable source that about half the cigars that come into the US from the Dominican Republic are actually made in Cuba.

In the 1970's, when Russia invaded Afghanistan, president blocked the sale of US wheat to Russia in protest (*Russia had a very bad crop for wheat that year). Instead of Russia giving-in, Argentina bought our excess wheat, marked up the price, and resold it to Russia.

The cargo-ships full of US wheat never touched Argentina. Easiest money Argentina ever made...just sign here.

I just had an order of Chinese made LED bulbs shipped from Canada and was charged 25% tariff and a $38 inspection fee on a $166 order. A previous shipment 3 weeks ago had no extra fees.

donn said:
rumme said:

Your battery might have been assembled in Chicago, but where were the cells manufactured?

rumme said:
Its all smoke and mirrors anyways. We are told we have more money due to tax decreases , then inflation goes nuts and tariffs add to the inflation.

Hey, I'll have you know that a fair number of CEO's can buy much nicer business jets now that those tax cuts are in place! So some people have more money.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/tax-change-helps-executives-afford-pricier-planes-1536763868

WoodlandHills said:
Your battery might have been assembled in Chicago, but where were the cells manufactured?

Sure. It was assembled in Chicago, that's something. China is a place that's "good at" assembling batteries. They're "good at" making everything else, too - cheap labor under an oppressive totalitarian regime that's exporting its values to other parts of the world, working on poorly governed 3rd world countries to exploit their resources. My clothes, my tools, my musical instruments, my motor vehicles, etc. could all be made in China, though actually few if any actually were.

Back