Cyclone vs bbshd

Zark

1 µW
Luna has lots of disclaimers about the cyclone but is it really that hard to build? At half the price and twice the power it seems like a no brainer. Anyone with experience building both please advise. I am tempted to jump on the cyclone. I can read a schematic. I can turn a wrench. I can follow instructions.is there something I am missing? What makes it so difficult?

Hi, I own two bafang's and zero cyclone's (althought I will probably buy one at one point).

From what I've seen by researching the cyclone for a while is that people seem to always struggle getting the one side of the mounting braket bent to fit their bottom bracket. Same bracket for all (I think It's 100mm unbent). Where as the bafang has seperate motors for each bottom braket size.

Yeah, if you look at it from a power propective, you are getting twice the bang for your buck. If you're going to build an electric dirt bike or motorcycle then you want the 3kw cyclone(or even the 7.5kw cyclone if you're really brave). However, the reason the bafang is twice the price is that it's has one if not the best pedal assist systems and its pull and play. No controller or bending to worry about, its already set up for you.

TLDR: If you're looking to build a speed machine, get a cyclone. If you want enhance the experience of biking with amazing pedal assist or are lazy, Get a Bafang.

I work with Cyclone stuff all the time to power e-assist pedicabs at one of my jobs. It does what you expect it to do. You kind of have to get the goods in your hands before you develop an expectation of what it will do. It's pretty crude.

BBSHD is an integrated system that's much easier to install and much more refined to use. But it has less power.

dustNbone said:
What exactly is good about Bafangs PAS system?

I suppose it's more on par with ebikes that come with a mid drive from the factory. It makes you feel like you and the motor are 1:1. I think it's just software. It has a few features that are better implemented then you're run of the mill cadence sensor set up.

For example, when you stop pedaling the assist doesn't abruptly cut out. It lowers the power gradually.

I don't know about the higher power cyclones, but the 500w sounds like a bottle full of bees compared to almost silence from the hd.

Back