Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

macribs said:
urbanmoto said:
ryan1685 said:
Offroader said:
I know someone who is in contact with an agent who said they would ship it. But based on what you are saying, I want to double check that there won't be any issues and if the agent is aware of shipping something with a battery.

I assume you are contacting agents to ship the Sur-Ron by sea freight and not air? If they are trying to ship it air then yes you will have issues with the batteries.

Ryan, do you speak Chinese? Or are you contacting them all in English?

My friends wife lives in China and it is her first language, she got the same response from the people at Tao Bao as I did. She was told that it would be very difficult for her to get the bike out of China once it was shipped to her house. I Don't know what I am doing wrong and she is a very astute business women worth millions of dollars. Put it this way, when my friend comes home to Canada for a few months, she has sent him multiple $5000 bills Canadian to live, so she isn't a dumb person by any means, lol not that money is the only benchmark for intelligence.

To load via sea or airfrieght you have to be able to show the factory certified safety certificates for the appropriate transportation, of course the factory would only give these documents to official distributors. Yes the China domestic price is lower than the base price around the world, but when you add in frieght, insurance, import duties, customs clearance and cash flow needed to buy a minimum of 60 units (thats only a 20ft container) then I dont think prices around the globe are that far out, A japanese built motorcycle is of course cheaper in the Japanese domestic market than the US or UK, but we dont all want to import a single bike from Japan just to save £500, official distributors dont forget also have to cover liability insurance, handle recalls and whole host of other regulations (eg in EEC EMC testing, CE approval and secure registration schemes) and also EEC legislation means a proper warranty, plus full spare parts support must be provided.

Valid points urbanmoto. There is a reason we got importers, they are the midle man when things go south. And they are the ones we go to when trouble arise, and they will need to sort their customers out. With parallell import/gray import the end customer got all the risk, and if something goes wrong and they are even able to get the manufacturer to admit and take responsible (not a given outcome) they will at the very least need to cover shipping of old parts and return shipping for the new. And there is a new risk, even if the factory say they will submit to your claim, when the faulty part is returned their inspection can result in what they call a "false claim", user error or miss usage and you end up with a two shipping fee, lots of stress and you get your broken parts back months later.

Looking at the big picture I would say importing on your own is stress, hard work and you need to be sure there is a dividend at the end. For 500 I would not consider it worth while, for 1000 still to much pita, around 1500 it might start to make sense. But if no shipping agents are up for the task it is a moot point and not a feasible option anyway. Put in extra hours at work or drop some luxury items in your every day life a month or two or whatever time is needed to get the bike via proper channels.

As for shipping rules and regulations I don't think it is entirely correct that you need papers from manufacturer. I know of a guy that the winter before las did a large purchase from China of electric robotic lawn movers. A container full. He shopped around for the lowest prices from several vendors and had a Chinese delivery address for collecting the items and re package into a container, and shipped it to EU. When I talked to him he too had trouble finding shipping for the lot, but as the goods was already bought and paid for giving up was not an option and he got it all sorted via emails, phones calls and didn't need to make a trip to China to solve this himself. Unless there are newer regulations since he did his shopping a year and a half back, there is a clausal where you can declare the goods yourself and that will be ok and legal. I don't know more of the details but for him it got all sorted and he sold out the lot when the container arrived, I think he kept like 10% of them for warranty claims, parts and replacement.

That said, I think we really need a new take on the whole Li-ion hazard shipping thing.

@Berd I don't disagree with what you are saying. But I don't think you got the idea of the group buy. The group buy was not a "make money quick idea". It overall goal was not to make money. It was for buyers to get together on a joint purchase to take advantage of the price difference in Chinese domestic market and the international market. No long term relationship needed. And no trip around the world required to close the deal. So most of your listed arguments don't apply for a group buy. As it is not that kind of purchase and sale process you had in mind when you wrote that. The group buy will not try to win a battle with Luna or any other official Sur Ron outlets. They group buy will not give any added value to the end buyer, nor will any problems that might arrive be handed over to the one that organized the group buy. Each individual party joining such a a purchase is left with all the savings and all the risk.

Regarding shipping rules and regulations I agree, if someone will push on with a group buy they will surely need to read up and get a full in depth understanding of the shipping rules and regulations for shipping li-ion.
Thanks macribs, but concerning getting the product loaded correctly, as it’s a lithium ion battery propelled vehicle is included into Dangerous Goods category both for air / sea transport. According to UN classification nomenclature it is “UN 3171 Vehicle propelled by Li-Ion Batteries”, included in class 9.
Factory will have to provide the following documents upon request:
DGD ( Dangerous Goods Declaration) that must be issued by an authorized person at the factory
MSDS ( Material safety data Sheet) and UN38.3 Test certificate (these last two documents must be issued by the manufacturer of the batteries, as this is the real dangerous element in these shipments).

We tried 4 shipping agents and without the above data not one would even quote for shipping via sea or air from China. Hence I think the only real way is via a factory distributor, Chinese domestic sellers are unlikely to get access to the export documentation needed.

Would like your thoughts about this. Do you think Sur-Ron will be around for a while?

The reason I ask is they have a large factory, just look at the pictures, , they are not making the frames and bikes in their basement. The problem I see is that I just don't know how large the market is for these bikes and wonder if they will sell enough bikes to maintain their large factory and staff. These bikes are very much a niche, they are way too big to pass as a bicycle and are not really the type of ebike most people are looking for.

Just wondering if you see them closing up shop shortly. I'm holding off my purchase to next year and to be honest a bit worried that they may close up shop and stop shipments by then.

Reason I am thinking about this is that on their Tmall page where they sell the bikes it lists how many have been sold, and Sur-Ron has not sold many, it was something like 10 in the last month. The market for these expensive mini motorcycles is probably much smaller than we think it is. Yes I know that dealers sell the bikes and they would not be listed on T-mall, but I would have expected them to have sold much more bikes on Tmall.

If Sur-Ron closes its business we may not see anything like this for many years, could be 10+ years or never in our lifetime before anyone makes frames and a mid-drive bike like this as there obviously isn't a market for them. Even though I am going travelling for the next 6 months, I'm thinking of just purchasing one now to make sure, even though I am kind of limited on cash at the moment. I just don't want to miss out on this bike as I know there won't be anything else for many years if they stop selling them.

Just think about Adaptto, they were selling those controllers for high prices and even with their cheap labor costs they seemed to have closed up shop as you can't buy the Max-E anymore. Makes you wonder.

Regarding Adaptto I think the markup alone was not the issue, nor was the number of sales. I think the ongoing problems, continuous problems with failing parts and longer and longer waiting time for repair was what ate away their margins and caused them to close shop. I could be dead wrong about this, but that is what I am thinking about Adaptto. I mean they initially had a great product. But most companies keeps improving their products over time. That didn't seem to happen with adaptto. Why I don't know. Maybe they did huge initial buy of parts and felt they needed to commit to those parts? Or maybe their skills and experience led the most important team members to better paying jobs at different companies? Who knows really. All we can do is speculate and no solid answers where given in the official thread.

It seems sur ron must have some pretty solid backing financially to come up with bikes of this caliber, just imagine what the initial batch of frames must have cost. Surely that frame didn't come cheap for a smaller batch. Also Sur Ron seems to constantly tweaking and making their products better. They already swapped initial motor. They have turned to a better controller. Probably lots of smaller bits and bobs have been changed already. Not to mention they got plans for a motorcycle, they are looking to the OEM market to sell their motor and controller combo to other e-bike manufacturers. And they already got that huge factory and must have a pretty decent staff as well as they keep improving the product and making it better. If they got deep pocket investors along for the ride I am sure the investors got a timeline for ROI when they invested and will continue to back as they too see the product improves and keep getting momentum.

I don't know how they sell the bike in China, web sales only or do they have dealers also? The total number of bikes can be much different then what shows up on Tmall.

They are claiming a sale of over 5k bikes. They have been here for what, one year?
Stealth has been here for over 10 and sold around 1k bikes(?)

The segment is appealing for sure, not everybody wants to have a full sized motorbike. The light be may not be here forever but the company will probably stay for a bit, they will soon release their road legal motorbike, and it will probably generate more sales.

Many companies die due to lack of strategic and effective leadership. This was the case for Adaptto, nothing else.

Thanks for the responses.

I wanted to mention that I did more research into the tariffs. The Sur-Ron and most ebikes have actually been hit with a 25% tariff on August 23rd. I didn't see electric bikes or motorcycles listed on the recent 10% tariff, and that is because they were actually hit before on August 23rd. The others who mentioned in this thread about the 25% tariff are correct.

I also think most ebike related parts are probably also hit with a 25% tariff, but I didn't look for this if they had parts listed also.

What this means is that if you buy an ebike from china and ship it to the USA, most likely customs is going to hit you with a 25% tariff at the border. That means a $2800 X version bike ordered from china will now cost $3500 before any shipping costs because of the tariffs.

From the facebook page. Luna will have the X bike in stock soon. I love how when I emailed them last month about the X bike they denied it even existed, but they've said they order Sur Ron containers 3 months out. So, they already had the X bike container on order.... I guess you have to do that to keep selling the regular bike you have in stock, but there must be a better way. Maybe just tell people when they ask about it, but don't post about it on your site?

Separately, I have no idea why they say the X controller is less reliable than stock. I imagine it's the same controller, with different software flashed...

Regarding x controller and bike....we will soon offer sur ron x bike which is basically sine wave controller which is a bit better than stock and a few other very trivial upgrades for around 400 dollars extra. We have a contsiner of x bikes coming in at the end of this month. To be upfront the x controller is not as reliable as the stock controller. We will offer upgrade kits for existing surron owners for the same price....early adopters in this case won...the price of the surron just went up by $400 to reflect the tariff. The xbike pricing will be about $4400......

n2mb said:
Separately, I have no idea why they say the X controller is less reliable than stock. I imagine it's the same controller, with different software flashed...

No, it is completely different. It uses the same housing but the insides are clearly different. The X controller is FOC with phase current sensors. Like other FOC controllers, it takes a lot to get everything dialed in correctly.

fechter said:
No, it is completely different. It uses the same housing but the insides are clearly different. The X controller is FOC with phase current sensors. Like other FOC controllers, it takes a lot to get everything dialed in correctly.

Ah, ok. Thanks. I was thinking it was like the sine wave controllers from Powervelocity, which look identical to regular infineon controllers, but have some different programming.

efMX Trials Electric Freeride said:
3DTOPO said:
As some here have suggested going tubeless, I thought I would give it a shot on the back tire, which is a Bridgestone M403.

The tire fits too loose in the rim. Trying to fill it up with an air compressor and it just leaks faster than it can develop any appreciable pressure.

I tried soap and water on the bead, but it just seems to lose even want to seat. I bet if I covered the beads with heavy grease (or silicone?) it could have a better chance of sealing, but what a mess that would be!

On bike forms I read people recommending to put in an inner tube, inflate it to seat the beads, then only break one bead to get the inner tube out and install the stemless valve. Seems like when I have changed the tire in the past, once I break the one bead, the other just comes free, so I am hesitant to try.

Any suggestions would be super appreciated! Anyone manage to go tubeless?

don't try this at home kids ..
Using hairspray to make a tire bead :
[youtube]d7bN8WPok9E[/youtube]

Well it was worth a shot - but the tire bead seems like it was too close to the rim to let adequete air in for the explosion. I got it to make a whoooof noise a couple times - stomped on the tire - used my hand to let more air in, etc. but no dice.

I was just about to give up when I decided to give a strap a try. I read this can be dangerous, but at this point I was desperate.

And it worked!!!

Tire is now filled with air - without an inner tube - and seems to be holding!

tireStrap.jpg

Just got back from my inaugural tubeless ride, no problems! Also my first ride with a 58T sprocket (thanks Rix!) and a shiny new gold chain. :D

tubeless58T.jpg

I didn't realize how loud my old chain was until it was replaced with near silence! Probably has something to do with the new chain was packed in grease, and I only lubed my old chain when it starting squeaking (does that make me a bad person?). At any rate, it seems the stock one didn't come nearly as well lubricated as the new one.

The torque with the 58T combined with X Controller is certainly impressive. I have to ride it more with the 58T, but, it seems like it kind lags around 20 mph when punched, where with the 48T, punching it 20 mph seemed much more aggressive (with the X Controller too). At lower speeds the 58T definitely rules. :wink:

The torque with the 58T combined with X Controller is certainly impressive. I have to ride it more with the 58T, but, it seems like it kind lags around 20 mph when punched, where with the 48T, punching it 20 mph seemed much more aggressive (with the X Controller too). At lower speeds the 58T definitely rules. :wink:

And this is why I think Motomoto's 52T and 55T are king of the bolt on performance options. Don't get me wrong, the 58T I sent you will climb your Crouch/Garden Valley Idaho hills better than any other smaller option. But the 52T and 55T are king of all around performance.

Rix said:

And this is why I think Motomoto's 52T and 55T are king of the bolt on performance options. Don't get me wrong, the 58T I sent you will climb your Crouch/Garden Valley Idaho hills better than any other smaller option. But the 52T and 55T are king of all around performance.

Yeah - I was hoping it would behave differently with the X Controller - but I think you're right X Controller included. Oh well, worth a shot, never know unless one tries. Love the added torque, but I think I liked being able to punch it at ~20mph more (I generally don't have much time to accelerate before I have to slow for the next turn).

I am thinking to try with the 52T next. Looks like 52T would give it 8 percent more torque, and if the X Controller already gives 20% more torque, that would be 30% more torque compared with the stock setup. (1.083 x 1.208 = 1.30)

macribs said:
urbanmoto said:
ryan1685 said:
Offroader said:
I know someone who is in contact with an agent who said they would ship it. But based on what you are saying, I want to double check that there won't be any issues and if the agent is aware of shipping something with a battery.

I assume you are contacting agents to ship the Sur-Ron by sea freight and not air? If they are trying to ship it air then yes you will have issues with the batteries.

Ryan, do you speak Chinese? Or are you contacting them all in English?

My friends wife lives in China and it is her first language, she got the same response from the people at Tao Bao as I did. She was told that it would be very difficult for her to get the bike out of China once it was shipped to her house. I Don't know what I am doing wrong and she is a very astute business women worth millions of dollars. Put it this way, when my friend comes home to Canada for a few months, she has sent him multiple $5000 bills Canadian to live, so she isn't a dumb person by any means, lol not that money is the only benchmark for intelligence.

To load via sea or airfrieght you have to be able to show the factory certified safety certificates for the appropriate transportation, of course the factory would only give these documents to official distributors. Yes the China domestic price is lower than the base price around the world, but when you add in frieght, insurance, import duties, customs clearance and cash flow needed to buy a minimum of 60 units (thats only a 20ft container) then I dont think prices around the globe are that far out, A japanese built motorcycle is of course cheaper in the Japanese domestic market than the US or UK, but we dont all want to import a single bike from Japan just to save £500, official distributors dont forget also have to cover liability insurance, handle recalls and whole host of other regulations (eg in EEC EMC testing, CE approval and secure registration schemes) and also EEC legislation means a proper warranty, plus full spare parts support must be provided.

Valid points urbanmoto. There is a reason we got importers, they are the midle man when things go south. And they are the ones we go to when trouble arise, and they will need to sort their customers out. With parallell import/gray import the end customer got all the risk, and if something goes wrong and they are even able to get the manufacturer to admit and take responsible (not a given outcome) they will at the very least need to cover shipping of old parts and return shipping for the new. And there is a new risk, even if the factory say they will submit to your claim, when the faulty part is returned their inspection can result in what they call a "false claim", user error or miss usage and you end up with a two shipping fee, lots of stress and you get your broken parts back months later.

Looking at the big picture I would say importing on your own is stress, hard work and you need to be sure there is a dividend at the end. For 500 I would not consider it worth while, for 1000 still to much pita, around 1500 it might start to make sense. But if no shipping agents are up for the task it is a moot point and not a feasible option anyway. Put in extra hours at work or drop some luxury items in your every day life a month or two or whatever time is needed to get the bike via proper channels.

As for shipping rules and regulations I don't think it is entirely correct that you need papers from manufacturer. I know of a guy that the winter before las did a large purchase from China of electric robotic lawn movers. A container full. He shopped around for the lowest prices from several vendors and had a Chinese delivery address for collecting the items and re package into a container, and shipped it to EU. When I talked to him he too had trouble finding shipping for the lot, but as the goods was already bought and paid for giving up was not an option and he got it all sorted via emails, phones calls and didn't need to make a trip to China to solve this himself. Unless there are newer regulations since he did his shopping a year and a half back, there is a clausal where you can declare the goods yourself and that will be ok and legal. I don't know more of the details but for him it got all sorted and he sold out the lot when the container arrived, I think he kept like 10% of them for warranty claims, parts and replacement.

That said, I think we really need a new take on the whole Li-ion hazard shipping thing.

@Berd I don't disagree with what you are saying. But I don't think you got the idea of the group buy. The group buy was not a "make money quick idea". It overall goal was not to make money. It was for buyers to get together on a joint purchase to take advantage of the price difference in Chinese domestic market and the international market. No long term relationship needed. And no trip around the world required to close the deal. So most of your listed arguments don't apply for a group buy. As it is not that kind of purchase and sale process you had in mind when you wrote that. The group buy will not try to win a battle with Luna or any other official Sur Ron outlets. They group buy will not give any added value to the end buyer, nor will any problems that might arrive be handed over to the one that organized the group buy. Each individual party joining such a a purchase is left with all the savings and all the risk.

Regarding shipping rules and regulations I agree, if someone will push on with a group buy they will surely need to read up and get a full in depth understanding of the shipping rules and regulations for shipping li-ion.

MC Ribs:
If the goal is a better price via a bulk buy it might make sense to contact Luna directly.
Has anyone talked to them about a bulk buy ?
They have already solved most of the issues of concern and it seems reasonable they might offer a discount for a full container load order with an advance payment.
If you can keep the transnational costs as low as possible for them they should be able to pass on some savings.
Essentially this would be an incremental bottom line profit for them with little downside or risk.
I have create bulk buy discounts for customers like this in the past, albeit not in the E-bike industry.

Just to reiterate - I have no relationship with Luna but see this as a possible win-win situation for everyone.

@Berd that make sense. Hopefully the right people read this. As now it seems clear that shipping those sur ron battery packs will be impossible without the consent and written statement from Sur Ron, which we all know likely will never happen. So import to save money is a no go.

Just to clearify; I am not involved with the group buy. It was not my idea and I am not the driving force. I just have pitched in with opinions in this thread where I felt I could contribute. Now it seems what little I had to contribute with was both wrong and obsolete info and it seems the wording of the dangerous goods act is changed to specifically targeting battery propelled vehicles. Making gray import impossible.

What I think we need to find out is why is Luna exclusive dealer in USA? How long are they an exclusive dealer?

What happens if other companies want to order a container of bikes from Sur-Ron?

I have no issues paying $2000 per bike and selling them for $3500 + charging for shipping on top of that, without offering any warranty. Who wouldn't want to do that?

Offroader said:
What I think we need to find out is why is Luna exclusive dealer in USA? How long are they an exclusive dealer?

What happens if other companies want to order a container of bikes from Sur-Ron?

I have no issues paying $2000 per bike and selling them for $3500 + charging for shipping on top of that, without offering any warranty. Who wouldn't want to do that?

as the first USA dealer to sign with surron, luna has an exclusivity agreement contract for surron north american sales.. if surron were to make USA direct sales or establish other dealerships within that territory would be a breach of contract with Luna ..

Offroader said:

Do you have $250,000 in capital to fill a shipping container with Sur Rons?

As much as Luna has disappointed me (mostly with their superiority complex and very questionable claims) - I have to be thankful for them raising the capital, working out the details and being the first to bring it to US market. I think they earned their exclusivity period. They saw a product they believed in and made it happen and were the first.

efMX Trials Electric Freeride said:
Offroader said:

as the first USA dealer to sign with surron, luna has an exclusivity agreement contract for surron north american sales.. if surron were to make USA direct sales or establish other dealerships within that territory would be a breach of contract with Luna ..

Correct - but probably only for a certain time period. I strongly doubt that Sur Ron would give Luna an exclusive lifetime contract. I would guess that a year or two exclusivity would be the norm.

I finally got my new tires and mounted them. Since I'm going to be doing most of my riding on pavement, I wanted something a little more sticky than dirt knobbies.

On the front, I got a Shinko SR241 in 2.75 - 19. This barely fits and has about 3mm of clearance to the fork. I measured the section width at 3.15", so the Shinko is significantly wider than the stated size.

On the rear, I got a Duro HF307 in 3.25 - 19. This was the only tire I could find with a dual sport tread in that size. It fits with plenty of clearance to the chain and kick stand bolt. If they made a 3.50 - 19, it would probably fit OK. It is nearly an inch taller than the stock tire, so gives a slight gear increase. For street use, the stock gearing works out pretty well.

I'll also mention that riding in Sport mode, going fast most of the time, I estimate the battery range to be around 30 miles, maybe a little less. Going slow (under 25mph), it should have no problems doing 40 miles.

Here's the front Shinko:

Img_0905A.jpg

Here's sort of a side-by-side comparison of the rear:

Duro vs Stock.jpg

They look great and handling is good.

Img_0913A.jpg

Img_0910A.jpg

fechter said:
On the front, I got a Shinko SR241 in 2.75 - 19. This barely fits and has about 3mm of clearance to the fork. I measured the section width at 3.15", so the Shinko is significantly wider than the stated size.

On the rear, I got a Duro HF307 in 3.25 - 19. This was the only tire I could find with a dual sport tread in that size. It fits with plenty of clearance to the chain and kick stand bolt. If they made a 3.50 - 19, it would probably fit OK.

What is the measured width of your back tire? My M403s are 3.2" - and rubbed against the kickstand bolt before I spaced the mount away from the frame with a couple washers. I wonder if your kickstand bolt is shorter than mine.

Note that if the sprue vents (rubber hairs) touch your front fork - make sure to trim them off or they will eat through your fork. Don't ask me how I know! :shock:

Rear tire measured 3.27" wide.

I'll have to trim off the sprues. I can see marks from them already. Thanks for the tip.

Here's the clearance to the chain. To the kick stand bolt is about the same.

Img_0903A.jpg

fechter said:
I finally got my new tires and mounted them. Since I'm going to be doing most of my riding on pavement, I wanted something a little more sticky than dirt knobbies.

On the rear, I got a Duro HF307 in 3.25 - 19. This was the only tire I could find with a dual sport tread in that size. It fits with plenty of clearance to the chain and kick stand bolt. If they made a 3.50 - 19, it would probably fit OK. It is nearly an inch taller than the stock tire, so gives a slight gear increase. For street use, the stock gearing works out pretty well.

I'll also mention that riding in Sport mode, going fast most of the time, I estimate the battery range to be around 30 miles, maybe a little less. Going slow (under 25mph), it should have no problems doing 40 miles.

Here's the front Shinko:

Img_0905A.jpg

Duro vs Stock.jpg

Img_0913A.jpg

Img_0910A.jpg

This looks AMAZING.....thanks for sharing. So curious, have you been on and off road with this setup yet? how does this handle off road? I'm assuming it's a little more slippery in the mud. I LOVE the fact that it raises the rear an inch and gives more room to play with air pressure. Also like the fact that it won't damage trails as much... Good stuff.

The only dirt I could find was along the side of the road. Not enough to tell. But these should be great for hard packed dirt and rock patches.

I second and it's street legal! Would be nice if the pack is a bit bigger(>20%) for more range... thinking if it's practical to add more batteries under the seat and use the same bms - i.e. by using thick parallel wires to connect the extra cells.

fechter said:

Here's the front Shinko:

Img_0905A.jpg

Duro vs Stock.jpg

Img_0913A.jpg

Img_0910A.jpg

Wow. I'm going to get the same tires when my OEMs start wearing low.

Did your top speed in sport drop at all?

Did your mileage get better or worse?

Back