TSDZ2 mid drive with 860C, 850C or SW102 displays only -- Flexible OpenSource firmware (Casainho code only)

The original firmware does:

Turn on the system. (wait about 3 sec).

When you tap the power button it toggles the lights on/off. Hold power to turn off system.

When lights are tapped ON:
Screen backlight = ON
lighting circuit has 6v applied, this circuit has two tails. Often used to power both front and back.

(Brakes do nothing).

kortina said:

When you tap the power button it toggles the lights on/off. Hold power to turn off system.

Screen backlight = ON
lighting circuit has 6v applied, this circuit has two tails. Often used to power both front and back.

(Brakes do nothing).

What should the firmware do ? just use the brake signal and switch it to a another cable?

Wouldn't it be more easy to take the signal from the brake switch and conect ot just on a relay ?

Dirkro said:
kortina said:

Screen backlight = ON

(Brakes do nothing).

What should the firmware do ? just use the brake signal and switch it to a another cable?

Wouldn't it be more easy to take the signal from the brake switch and conect ot just on a relay ?
The hardware seems to have a max limit of 0.4 Amps, so if using front and rear light and both taking the same current, can't be more than 0.2A / 1.2W each, so the limit of 1W for each lamp seems good but no more than 6V 1W lamps!!

The controller has 2 free connector for digital wires, where 1 of that wires could be used to power an extra strong light for braking light signal. This idea would need to be tested...

I will do some testing tomorrow... It looks like pwspower offer a taillight that has a brake function.

TS-WD216

https://m.alibaba.com/product/60758941439/Rear-6V-DC-light-with-brake.html?subject=Rear--6V--DC--light--with--brake&detailId=60758941439&redirect=1

So I will add the brake sensor and read the voltage.

6v 1A is not really enough power for a real headlight (especially for a bike that can do > 30km/h). I use the voltage to trigger a relay.

Maybe the stock firmware has some brake light feature!?

DST trip distance and total trip distance ODO are implemented on development branch, however I can reset them or so because I do not have free button combination... I am thinking in implementing QUICK PRESS followed by LONG PRESS detection of the same button, so 3 more button presses can be detected. I would use that type of button event: UP to cycle over DST <-> ODO and DOWN to reset each field.

casainho said:
DST trip distance and total trip distance ODO are implemented on development branch, however I can reset them or so because I do not have free button combination... I am thinking in implementing QUICK PRESS followed by LONG PRESS detection of the same button, so 3 more button presses can be detected. I would use that type of button event: UP to cycle over DST <-> ODO and DOWN to reset each field.

I am happy to see this feature! Maybe ODO should not be able to reset easy.
In the latest Yamaha, there is a reset menue, maybe it is possible to enter a similar menue with "LONG, QUICK QUICK " and then the values are blinking you can scroll through, and you can reset by a long "POWER ON" and exit by the "LONG, QUICK QUICK "
Similar like the setup menue?
Nevertheless I am happy with everything :)

kortina said:
6v 1A is not really enough power for a real headlight (especially for a bike that can do > 30km/h). I use the voltage to trigger a relay.
It's not even 1A (or did you mean 1W? :p ). This is much too little for a serious bike light. Even most standard hub dynamos are generating 2 - 3W! I'm using an e-bike specific headlight of 4W, this is far from extreme. I've ordered a relay and powerful DC-DC converter to drive this headlight.

Maybe the stock firmware has some brake light feature!?
No, I don't think so. I also don't need this feature. I had a tail light with a brake sensor and even turn indicators, it doesn't work in practice. Especially motorists simply ignore or don't notice it. Nowadays I use a bright light sometimes blinking when the circumstances ask for it, this works fine.

casainho said:
Nice! Maybe we just reset the ODO using the configuration menu and no quick access? Do we really need the quick access?

EndlessCadence said:
casainho said:
Nice! Maybe we just reset the ODO using the configuration menu and no quick access? Do we really need the quick access?
Yes, that was simple to implement and I just did it - it is on development branch and I created the V0.13 wiki page (and updated with ODOMETER changes) and updated the main page with the links.

casainho said:
EndlessCadence said:
casainho said:
Yes, that was simple to implement and I just did it - it is on development branch and I created the V0.13 wiki page (and updated with ODOMETER changes) and updated the main page with the links.

Just one question:
How to reset the standard values for the firmware now?
For me it looks according to the WIKI, that this finktion is gone now?

I think to reset ODO and Trip at the same time is not a good option, because this values will allways be the same.
It would be nice to reset Trip in the main menue and ODO in config menue

Good feature!
But I can commit Dirkko: It makes less sence when the values of ODO and DST were same.
My proposal would be, to reset ODO with a long press of "DOWN" (walk assist is actually not used)
and the total DST could be set and reset in the config menue.

The LCD3 has also an icon for DST, ODO and AVG. Perhaps this could also be used.

A further question: The assist of the motor ist very good at high cadences. At low cadences, the assist of the original firmware is much better. Are the values of the torque sensor responsible for this phenomen? Can the value of the torque sensor be set with a factor?
I also found out that the torqu sensor is temperature-sensitive. A warm motor has more torque.

Dirkro said:
Just one question:
How to reset the standard values for the firmware now?
For me it looks according to the WIKI, that this finktion is gone now?
6. 3 LCD configurations reset to defaults
0 Increase the value to 10 and the LCD configurations will reset to the default values.

troebi said:
A further question: The assist of the motor ist very good at high cadences. At low cadences, the assist of the original firmware is much better. Are the values of the torque sensor responsible for this phenomen? Can the value of the torque sensor be set with a factor?
Maybe you are not using the startup power boost feature?? https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki/Usage-and-configuration-of-firmware-version-0.12

I have Problems falshing the firmware. I was able to flash the display and it shows is 88888-Screen now as expected. Also, changing the battery to 24V with the original Software (changing the data field) worked.
But: with STLink/Swin/STM8S105x4 the STVisualProgrammer floods with error messages like

FILE : line 1146: Address 0xC776 is out of range and is ignored!
FILE : line 1146: Address 0xC777 is out of range and is ignored!
FILE : line 1146: Address 0xC778 is out of range and is ignored!
FILE : line 1146: Address 0xC779 is out of range and is ignored!
FILE : line 1146: Address 0xC77A is out of range and is ignored!

If I use STM8S105x6 like with the display, it does not show errors. Is it save to do so?

Eremit said:
I have Problems falshing the firmware. I was able to flash the display and it shows is 88888-Screen now as expected. Also, changing the battery to 24V with the original Software (changing the data field) worked.
But: with STLink/Swin/STM8S105x4 the STVisualProgrammer floods with error messages like

FILE : line 1146: Address 0xC776 is out of range and is ignored!
FILE : line 1146: Address 0xC777 is out of range and is ignored!
FILE : line 1146: Address 0xC778 is out of range and is ignored!
FILE : line 1146: Address 0xC779 is out of range and is ignored!
FILE : line 1146: Address 0xC77A is out of range and is ignored!

If I use STM8S105x6 like with the display, it does not show errors. Is it save to do so?

I keep the ...x6 in the settings. No problems with flashing so far.

Thanks, already tried and it seems to work.
Wich makes the way free to run into next problem: The Setup manual seems to be a little bit outdated. Any hint where to get the options of 0.13?

Update: I was stuck here: https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki/TSDZ2-and-KT-LCD3-advanced-features-with-Flexible-OpenSource-firmwares
But this one is it: https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki/Usage-and-configuration-of-firmware-version-0.13
--sort of dead end in the beginner's documentation.

Dirkro said:
Basicaly 0.12 should be nearly OK ..
https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike...ge-and-configuration-of-firmware-version-0.12
maybe give it a try... PAS cardence in menue 8 2 is 110 instead of 25 but most options are OK I think

@Dirkro or @Casainho:
What does this value mean? In V0.12 the default value is about 90? When I reduce this, the assist lowers.

The motor is nearly like a Bosch motor at higher cadences. With lower cadences the power is not as strong as a Bosch.

Can anyone post typical values of the torque sensor? In the menue under §9 I can read the following values:
2 ADC pedal torque sensor see the current value
3 Pedal torque sensor see the current value

Thanks!! :)

casainho said:
Maybe you are not using the startup power boost feature?? https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki/Usage-and-configuration-of-firmware-version-0.12

I set the boost function with default values. But give it a try with a longer boost.

Interesting for me: to get about 350W input power, I have to set about 700W. Can this be plausible?

Hi, I installed the 0.7 version of the software. Unfortunately, I do not have time to install other versions. Unfortunately I did not print the instructions. Is it possible to have the old list of instructions?

andrea_104kg said:
Is it possible to have the old list of instructions?

https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki/TSDZ2-and-KT-LCD3-advanced-features-with-Flexible-OpenSource-firmwares

troebi said:
Interesting for me: to get about 350W input power, I have to set about 700W. Can this be plausible?

This is normal, because to get 100 % input level, you need 100% torque at a very high cardence.
So it is comon to put in maybe 1400 W at the high assist levels.
Once you found good values, the system is working great!

Dirkro said:
troebi said:
This is normal, because to get 100 % input level, you need 100% torque at a very high cardence.
So it is comon to put in maybe 1400 W at the high assist levels.
Once you found good values, the system is working great!
Correct.

Dirko, do you want to volunteer to write a wiki page with information on how to flash on Windows? -- seems users are asking over and over the same questions and would be great to have a page with maybe some screenshots and details...

And another question for support (damn, it worked all fine yesterday eveneing, that I thought I'm through it.)
But today, after resoldering the display and (stupid me) changing config at the same time, I get a blinking 0 in the temperature field (no temp protection set), no motor assistence. And the cadence field stays zero. (I did no soldering at the motor itself...)
What could that be?

Guess Tx->Rx Motor was blocked by bad soldering. It's solved now. Nethertheless are there some sort of error codes wich LSD3 could give?

Anyone tested the offroad mode successfully? With enabled Offroad, I come exactly to the SpeedLimit of the offroad mode. As well as offroad mode switched off. (Well, not above 35 km/h for still using a 24V Battery Pack)
"Assist" is blinking, but there is no difference in Top Speed.

All else is working awesome!! :)

Back