Grin Phase Runner / CA3 and BBSHD

Went for the first test ride this weekend. Gotta say I like it.

With a Stock 42T Front Chainring and 42T tall rear, it threw me off the bike. Lost a flip flop (sandal) in the process, also, but did manage to stay on my feet, at least.

A couple more notes for guys still building:

PAS Set-up:
1. Be sure to swap the PAS's +10V power supply from the CA to a +5V pad (internally in the CA) so you don't fry the Sensor in the BBSHD.
2. I had to configure the CA for 5V=REV for PAS to work correctly for me.

This project has been a fun one. A bit of a learning curve with the PR programming, but as always, the sphere is a Godsend. Where any of us would be without it, I don't know...

Keep on building!

looks very good, Barent!
Couple of questions:
1. Is that a Norco Atomik?
2. What size battery is that/ how is it attached?
3. Seeing as how you have made it all work - would you sell BBSHD/ Phaserunner/ battery all sorted as a "kit"?

PRW said:
teslanv said:
Camo Norco 01.jpg
looks very good, Barent!
Couple of questions:
1. Is that a Norco Atomik?
2. What size battery is that/ how is it attached?
3. Seeing as how you have made it all work - would you sell BBSHD/ Phaserunner/ battery all sorted as a "kit"?

It's a 2007 Norco Six SE
Battery is a custom built 72V-15Ah (20S5P Configuration), Samsung 30Q cells, with 80A BMS, housed neatly in the integrated battery box I designed.
A brief write up with more details is here:

https://west-coast-electric-cycles.myshopify.com/pages/custom-norco-six-se-in-camo

This was a custom build for myself, so I'm not selling anything related to this build, but I see that Grin is now selling a phase runner with an optional "Plug & Play BBSHD Cable".
bbshd_prcable_1_2.jpg

http://www.ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-parts/controllers/c-phaserunner.html

Right i still dont get this, ive got a phaserunner, a BBSHD, a 72v battery and a CA.

what extra stuff do i need to buy to hook it all up.

Can someone explain it as if talking to a complete noob?

ive got a load of jst connectors and a crimper, i dont have an issue with soldering or making connections, im just confused by this thread. So much info scattered about and people posting different diagrams and parts needed lusts/ pics etc.

I just need a simple to understand guide please. lol sorry for noobisms

I think all you're missing is the plug n play cable that grin has just listed on their site recently. So far I've only seen it as an add-on option when buying the phaserunner.

If that's still true, I'd just email grin and ask if you can buy just the cable.
If not; may I return this one for the correct one, please?

Thats not an option. I just need to know what wiring i need to add, what the wire guage needs to be and what connectors need to go on the ends.

I would have thought you'd have enough cable length, but if not, as thick or thicker than the existing cables.

I am loving this set up. Currently running it with a 74V (20 cells) Li-Ion pack limited to 2.5KW (which is more than enough for me). The Phaserunner barely gets worm and the BBSHD is never too hot to touch.

Only issue I have is that at this power level, The chain starts creaking after a few miles, even though I lube it before every ride. Anyone came across this problem? I am using a SRAM 11 speed system. I think that the chain is a KMC, or SRAM, not sure.

Adding rohloff to the title of this thread is indeed an envious setup, and what I'm aiming for.

Go up 45 degree hills, and 55km/h still peddling, can't beat that gearing range, plus the simplicity, longevity, bmx chain, change gears stopped, twist through 5 gears in one motion, fully sealed, no maintenance...

The rohloff and ebikes are a perfect match. They are not expensive. They are worth every cent. They are an investment, not a consumable.

endrew said:
I am loving this set up. Currently running it with a 74V (20 cells) Li-Ion pack limited to 2.5KW (which is more than enough for me). The Phaserunner barely gets worm and the BBSHD is never too hot to touch.

Only issue I have is that at this power level, The chain starts creaking after a few miles, even though I lube it before every ride. Anyone came across this problem? I am using a SRAM 11 speed system. I think that the chain is a KMC, or SRAM, not sure.
There is a lot of info out there on chains. I'm not an expert, but here are a few thoughts:. 1. 11 speed chains are problematic (too narrow?). 2. KMC makes a heavy duty chain for e-bikes 3. Are you sure it is the chain? Have you used a stretch guage tool on it? That much power might be stretching your chain.

RollerBoy said:
magooXI@aol.com said:
I have these
Enzotech Graphics Card Passive Heat Sink ,14 x 14x 14 mm, Copper, 8-pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002BWXW6E/re ... RAb5ZZ0B9R
Brother, can you post a pic on how you ran those heat sinks? I think I overheated my bbshd and cooked the controller :(

Here's an arrangement. Suggest you use heat sink grease to bridge air gap between the stator and the aluminum shell, (apply liberally on both surfaces and wipe up the extra after insertion), the heat will be mainly migrating radially outward, and you want to group your extra sinks around the edge to take advantage of the flat area. Scuff the surface of the BBSHD paint or take it down to metal. I took all the paint off the heat sinks and used thermal epoxy to bond.

Do you have wide pedal spacing? These would get in the way of my pedals.

Hi all

Thank you for all the great info in this thread. I currently have a phase-runner on order and plan to use it on my BBS02B. I don't have a CA and don't want one since I want my bike as stealth as possible (I live in a bad area). My question is regarding the AUTOTUNE function... I don't need the CA for that do i? I ride the bike as a scooter so all i need really is throttle, brake cut and on/off switch. If i understand this right the setting pertinent to me should be available via the PC software right? TIA all.

you dont need a CA for the auto tune. just the communication cable and the free software.

Hi guys,

Mostly all well and thank you everybody for the info. I got the auto tune to work just fine and the BBS02B runs quite well but I'm encountering the same issue the OP had, "Judder" while re-applying the throttle. OP fixed it with the CA but I don't have one. I emailed Grin and this is what he suggested......

"There are two ways of tuning the PR to a mid drive like the BBSHD system. Either you look at the total pole pair and gear ratio from the motor to the crank, and run autotune in reference to the crank RPM. Or you do it in reference to the motor itself and do everything in terms of the motor RPM.
The BBSHD motor has 8 magnets, so 4 pole pairs, and then has a ~22:1 gear ratio to the cranks, with an effective crank RPM/V of 3.5
So you can use 88 pole pairs and initial KV guess of 3.5, or you can use 4 pole pairs with initial KV guess of 77 rpm/V. Either way will work fine.
You may need to increase the current regulator bandwidth and PLL bandwidth parameters if you end up getting instantaneous overcurrent faults. The default values are 1000 and 1, while the values of 2500 and 2.5 will be more appropriate".

I have yet to do this since my rear derailleur was destroyed while the motor was "juddering". I will recieve my rear derailleur this Saturday and will report back. What suggestions do you guys have? Thanks

On these post you can read how to solve the judder problem.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=96212

jpc6000 said:
On these post you can read how to solve the judder problem.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=96212
thank you
I did see that but I cannot find that setting. Do you know where that min voltage setting is located? Thanks

Back